Maguire needs to be replaced

goldenballs

Victoria's secret
He's miles out of form but that's pure bollocks. He was very good last season, prior to the season ending injury. I mean, just look at how bad we were without him in the last few games.

So he's often been very good but, currently, is awful.
He has been a liability from day one. Anyone that thinks he is a good defender, knows very little about football.

swissgenius

He’s been awful this season but before that he was very good so makes me think it’s a system/form issue more than his overall quality. He’s proven he’s a good player when on form.
Huh?
He's been below average last year as well.
Euros fooled anyone including me, to think he's capable of more and he'd become more steady and reliable with time.

Should've never named him captain anyway.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Huh?
He's been below average last year as well.
Euros fooled anyone including me, to think he's capable of more and he'd become more steady and reliable with time.

Should've never named him captain anyway.
He played well most of last season.

Flytan

He looks like he needs a break. He's completely off his game. Like I think the club should just pretend he has an injury for a month or so and let him get back to pace. I think he was rushed back from injury then had a horrible game and it's fecked him mentally. He should never have been made captain either. He's a solid CB playing awfully and should certainly be removed from the starting lineup for a bit.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
This is one knee-jerk thread I can really get behind. Where do I sign?

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Still can't believe the fee we paid for him. Whoever signed that off needs firing into the sun along with our scouts. To top it all off, he gets made captain for no reason at all.

Ole has put too much into Maguire, he won't drop him, just makes Ole looks bad. It will end up costing Ole his job funny enough

Mark Witter

Personally think Ole leaves his substitutions way too late to have any impact Sancho VDB both looked sharp coming on
Just don’t think Ole is tactically Good enough his press conferences are dull and uninspiring before and after the games Would like to see Ten Hag at OT with Van de sar as Technical Director Still think Ole doesn’t know his best team

Blake's 7

His lack of pace combined with some poor positional play means he will always be exposed at the highest level - and often just by hard working forwards in the PL. We need an upgrade if we are going to seriously challenge; VVD & Dias are both defensive lynchpins - HM just isn't and never will be.

Bwuk

He’s not a natural leader at all and looks uncomfortable as captain. He looks better for England where he isn’t expected to command.

Longshanks

He looks a bit shakey at the moment does seem to have these spells from time to time. Needs to improve his form no doubt but he is far from our biggest problem.

Goalkeeper and midfield are our biggest problems by far, maguire looks better when he has a more commanding goalkeeper who isn't afraid to leave his line behind and a functioning balanced midfield infront of him, take those two away and he is just constantly getting exposed.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What were our scouts smoking? Even if the manager asked for him, it's their job to provide a report and highlight his weakness.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
What were our scouts smoking? Even if the manager asked for him, it's their job to provide a report and highlight his weakness.
It was pretty telling that Leicester fans weren’t really arsed. Most said he wasn’t even their best centre back.

AFC NimbleThumb

He's miles out of form but that's pure bollocks. He was very good last season, prior to the season ending injury. I mean, just look at how bad we were without him in the last few games.

He was crap after ‘Project Restart’, at fault for goals against Bournemouth, Southampton & Spurs. He started last season horrendously but everyone excused him because of his arrest, prior to the Newcastle game he scored a header in he was, again, lacking in confidence because he’d been crap. We were conceding over a goal a game with him in the team last year & the Spurs 6-1 is one of the worst leadership displays let alone defensive displays I’ve witnessed; for a captain he rolled over after the sending off - he tackled Shaw for their 1st goal when we had 11 men which remains one of the worst pieces of defending you’re likely to witness.

We conceded 4 against Liverpool at home without him in the games you highlight last season [we conceded 5 this season], that’s the only game he missed where we conceded more goals than our we were usually conceding with him; his absence was negligible at the end of last season cause he’s simply not the defender he’s meant to be. The Away match in Roma also seems to have escaped people’s memories, he was rubbish there too.

He’s too often been poor, both in performance & the way he leads the side - the acceptance of mediocrity is exactly why we’re in the position we’re in. We’ve been fortunate enough to see some top CBs throughout the years, Maguire isn’t a patch on the required quality.

Ole90+3

He’s no leader but he’s no where near as bad as he’s shown this season. I mean he was an absolute rock for England and a catalyst to their Euros run only a matter of months ago.

I guarantee you if Conte came in Maguire would be a hailed as a hero of this team.

I think he’s completely shot of confidence and is being targeted by oppo teams. He needs an outlet when being pressed and he needs to be told to release the ball ASAP.

Firstouch20

He's a the type of centre back that belongs in a Tony Pulis side. Just a big clumsy oaf with very little quality as a footballer. Not sure how the club ended up paying 80 million for him.

SemiPro

Hasn’t looked like the same player since the incident in Greece. Clear that he’s having issues with his game mentally and is lacking confidence. Think the pressure of being captain of Manchester United has got to him.

Needs to be benched for while but won’t happen now with the Varane injury.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He has been a liability from day one. Anyone that thinks he is a good defender, knows very little about football.
Something tells me you're not open to listening to another opinion. Even though you're completely wrong.

lex talionis

Maguire was never a pacey defender to begin with but he looks like a pensioner now. We'll have to make do through the end of the season, but if we do bring in a serious manager this summer Maguire's status has to be at the top of the agenda.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Hasn’t looked like the same player since the incident in Greece. Clear that he’s having issues with his game mentally and is lacking confidence. Think the pressure of being captain of Manchester United has got to him.

He's had his best run of form for both United and England after that incident in Greece.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town

Thought he was playing well the second half of last season, until that injury, but since that he's not the same player. Definitely lost some confidence.

Eckers99

He was crap after ‘Project Restart’, at fault for goals against Bournemouth, Southampton & Spurs. He started last season horrendously but everyone excused him because of his arrest, prior to the Newcastle game he scored a header in he was, again, lacking in confidence because he’d been crap. We were conceding over a goal a game with him in the team last year & the Spurs 6-1 is one of the worst leadership displays let alone defensive displays I’ve witnessed; for a captain he rolled over after the sending off - he tackled Shaw for their 1st goal when we had 11 men which remains one of the worst pieces of defending you’re likely to witness.

We conceded 4 against Liverpool at home without him in the games you highlight last season [we conceded 5 this season], that’s the only game he missed where we conceded more goals than our we were usually conceding with him; his absence was negligible at the end of last season cause he’s simply not the defender he’s meant to be. The Away match in Roma also seems to have escaped people’s memories, he was rubbish there too.

He’s too often been poor, both in performance & the way he leads the side - the acceptance of mediocrity is exactly why we’re in the position we’re in. We’ve been fortunate enough to see some top CBs throughout the years, Maguire isn’t a patch on the required quality.
Almost none of that suggests you read my reply or considered the context in which it was written. Maybe you should read the post and my reply again and come back to me.

dave1956

He appears to lack spatial awareness, plus his lack of pace makes him a poor central defender at this level, certainly not worth 80 million.

TsuWave

To top it all off, he gets made captain for no reason at all.
I think we did that to legitimise the move, seeing the horrendous and ridiculous fee we paid. Only way I can rationalise it

Awful transfer

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
80m for this clown

He's thr leader of the next deadwoods fc along with AWB, Telles, shaw, jones, baily, dvd, fred, dalot, perreira, lingardinho,

Added with cavani and pogba moving on and ronaldo 37 next year.

500M well spent ole
It's hard not to criticise the post but the fecking poster of nonsense.

Robaldo

He’s no leader but he’s no where near as bad as he’s shown this season. I mean he was an absolute rock for England and a catalyst to their Euros run only a matter of months ago.

I guarantee you if Conte came in Maguire would be a hailed as a hero of this team.

I think he’s completely shot of confidence and is being targeted by oppo teams. He needs an outlet when being pressed and he needs to be told to release the ball ASAP.
Fair post. Despite being really poor lately he's not nearly as bad as form suggests. He's been largely good since he joined but hasn't been at all sharp since his return from injury last month.

He shouldn't be a shoe-in and should spend some time out of the team in current form.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Can't believe some of the comments on here. That 'clown helped us to 3rd place in his first season, by shoring up a leaky defence (along with AWB), then 2nd place last season, with some outstanding displays. Yes, since his injury last season he's not seemed like the same player, and definitely needs a break, but some of the comments on here are ludicrous and ridiculous.
For what it's worth, I always thought he would be best in a back 3, mainly due to his lack of pace, and that eventually one of Tuanzebe or Mengi would take his position, but unfortunately Ole feels he needs to play him every game, which I think, is detrimental to both Maguire and the younger players who desperately need minutes playing in the first team.

AFC NimbleThumb

Almost none of that suggests you read my reply or considered the context in which it was written. Maybe you should read the post and my reply again and come back to me.
From the man who said. . .

The poster you responded to [in similar aggressive manner] was correct.

If you’d like to discuss how ‘good’ you feel Maguire was last season [he wasn't] & how our defence suffered when he was injured [it really didn’t] then fine but my reply addresses the exact points highlighted. It’s telling that you can’t respond with a level-headed response.

Maybe you should read the post and my reply again

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
80m for this clown

He's thr leader of the next deadwoods fc along with AWB, Telles, shaw, jones, baily, dvd, fred, dalot, perreira, lingardinho,

500M well spent ole
I think you left a few players out.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Said he’d be a mistake when we signed him and he’s proving that to be the case. Amazing for England but so bad for us he’s almost like a different player.

Mihai

80m for this clown

500M well spent ole
:lol: dvd. TeamViewer dvd.

But the post is a bit of a joke.

Eckers99

From the man who said. . .

The poster you responded to [in similar aggressive manner] was correct.

If you’d like to discuss how ‘good’ you feel Maguire was last season [he wasn't] & how our defence suffered when he was injured [it really didn’t] then fine but my reply addresses the exact points highlighted. It’s telling that you can’t respond with a level-headed response.

Maybe you should read the post and my reply again
The poster I was replying to (the context you've conveniently left out) said Maguire hadn't ever been very good and was abysmal from day one. You're saying he hasn't always been very good.

I said he had been very good at points. I've already said in this thread that his current form means he should be dropped.

Your comment has no relation to my post or the context?

Now, do you understand?

dave1956

I believe that 1. He needs the captaincy taking from him, as it appears that he does not have the mental apptitude to carry the responsibility, which is having an adverse affect on his on field performance. 2. He also needs to be benched for a period as his form over the last 2 months has been very poor, mistakes have cost us a number of goals and surely he must realise this which adds to his lack of confidence. 3. A period on the bench would allow him to reflect on his game and work on his weaknesses, although his pace will not improve but decline with age so he needs to adust his game accordingly.
Unfortunately we no longer have a reserve side where he could play and work on these problems without the pressure.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
FFS there is already a drop Maguire thread!
To be fair he's playing so badly the entire forum should probably be drop Maguire threads.

The fact he's still getting picked is on its own a justified reason to sack off the whole coaching team because it's just sheer willful incompetence not to notice and address it.

He's cost us 12 goals in 5 games. Maybe the opposition would have found ways to score anyway, but literally every goal I'm thinking of was primarily his fault...and most of them really basic stuff as well.

He's the worst player in the league on current form

AFC NimbleThumb

The poster I was replying to (the context you've conveniently left out) said Maguire hadn't ever been very good and was abysmal from day one. You're saying he hasn't always been very good.

I said he had been very good at points. I've already said in this thread that his current form means he should be dropped.

Your comment has no relation to my post or the context?

Now, do you understand?
Let’s not do this dance of subversion where you act like the discussion is about one thing because you refuse to discuss your own statements. You’re on about the below post. . .
When has he been very good? He's been abysmal from day one..
So your argument is because Maguire has had some decent runs of form & a number of ‘good’ performances he has not literally been abysmal.

For £80mil - the absolutely shambolic awarding of the captaincy - along with some stand out poor performances, I’d veer closer to him being an ‘abysmal’ signing this far than a successful one as I don’t believe he’s ever been ‘very good’ for the team, he’s a frontrunner that plays well when the attack is firing but he’s let us down far too many times for someone that is chosen to lead. You’re attempting to argue in bad faith as by your reductive reasoning the fact Alexis Sanchez once scored & played well in a Manchester Derby means you can’t call his signing ‘abysmal’, which it pretty much was from day one.

Anyway we’re veering off course. Maguire was not very good last season & the defence wasn’t particularly worse in the games he missed. We’re now into a discussion of semantics which could have been avoided had you seen the rather blatant nuance in the post you took a disliking to.