Maldini (CB) Vs Maldini (LB)

Skills

Snitch
I think the consensus is that Maldini is the greatest LB of all time and only just one of the greatest CBs of all time. The combination of both makes his claim to be the greatest defender of all time.

However, in what role was he more influential? At LB he was part of maybe the greatest defence of all time, but did his own personal influence on the game increase when he moved to the middle of the pitch?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Hard to say. He was better as a wingback in his youth than as CB later on though

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
No his influence on the game actually diminished when he moved to CB. More touches( if not a larger heat map) and more of an ability to contribute to the build up of attacking moves.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Left back. Easily. People who were too young to see Maldini as a left back massively missed out.

Anyone who was watching Football Italia on channel 4 in the 90s knows what I mean.

He was a better left back. Arguably the best ever. He had pace, skill, tackling, passing, intelligence, everything you needed.

He moved to centre back because he started to lose some of those attributes as he got older. He was still brilliant, but not what he was as a left back.

Devil81

To be perfectly honest he was incredible in both positions so looking to pick holes in his ability is really difficult. Like others have said though, he was incredible at left back, his reading of the game has to be the best I've seen from a defender.

Just an unbelievable footballer.

dinostar77

Left back. Easily. People who were too young to see Maldini as a left back massively missed out.

Anyone who was watching Football Italia on channel 4 in the 90s knows what I mean.
Yes the greatest of his generation and one of the best of all time. Different to the best left backs of following generations i.e. Roberto Carlos, Marcelo etc.

Baresi was a better CB than Maldini.

GioF

Great CB but for me the best LB of all time. Such a great player. Was amazing to watch him play. Got to meet him a couple of times too and was a class act.

Red Comet

Maldini was fantastic at both roles, at the same time it's easily LB Maldini > CB Maldini.

At CB, he's on the level of the likes of Nesta or Costacurta, whereas Baresi is on another level.

Matt007a

Definitely the best LB of all time. The great full backs tend to be Brazilian but they’re usually amazing going forward while being decent defensively. Maldini was both a world class defender and attacking player. That puts him above players like Roberto Carlos, Dani Alves, Cafu etc. His reading of the game was incredible, he was two steps ahead of the wingers he was up against.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Maldini was fantastic at both roles, at the same time it's easily LB Maldini > CB Maldini.

At CB, he's on the level of the likes of Nesta or Costacurta, whereas Baresi is on another level.
Huh? Costacurta was good but you really think he was the same level as Nesta and Maldini? I can't cosign that!

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Best left back i've ever seen, and such an elegant defender. Him and Nesta for me made it look so effortless.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What was the reason behind some Milan fans hating on him when he retired? Pretty sure a small section sang Baresi’s name or something.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'm young. So I only remember seeing him at CB. And I remember the feeling of hopelessness felt in 2005 when we played at the San Siro trying to overturn a 1-0 deficit. It was like trying to penetrate a fecking brick wall.

If he was much better at LB then fecking hell

Last edited:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I'm young. So I only remember seeing him at CB. And I remember the feeling of hopelessness felt in 2005 when we played at the San Diego trying to overturn a 1-0 deficit. It was like trying to penetrate a fecking brick wall.

If he was much better at LB then fecking hell
Were you playing the Padres? ;)

Bleu

Supports
New England Revolution
Growing up as a kid I would mainly watch Serie A. In my opinion, Maldini was as close to the total footballer as you can get. He could do it all. Im very sure if you put Maldini as a striker he would blossom, likewise in midfield. But, his defending skills were so imperious it would be a waste to play him in other roles aside from defense. I remember a game against Parma where he tackled 4 times consecutively in a matter of seconds and got the ball cleanly each single time from 3 different players and then passed the ball out of the back, initiating an attack.

He moved to CB when he got on with age, which of course makes sense he was not at his upmost ability at that period, but he would still be in my top 5 CB of all time without shadow of a doubt.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Growing up as a kid I would mainly watch Serie A. In my opinion, Maldini was as close to the total footballer as you can get. He could do it all. Im very sure if you put Maldini as a striker he would blossom, likewise in midfield. But, his defending skills were so imperious it would be a waste to play him in other roles aside from defense. I remember a game against Parma where he tackled 4 times consecutively in a matter of seconds and got the ball cleanly each single time from 3 different players and then passed the ball out of the back, initiating an attack.

He moved to CB when he got on with age, which of course makes sense he was not at his upmost ability at that period, but he would still be in my top 5 CB of all time without shadow of a doubt.
Then Maldini made 4 mistakes in few seconds, as apparently tackling means player has already made a mistake.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
What was the reason behind some Milan fans hating on him when he retired? Pretty sure a small section sang Baresi’s name or something.
After Milan lost to Liverpool on penalties in the CL final a bunch of protestors went to see them come home in disgrace. Maldini basically branded them scum (or similar) and they apparently took that to heart.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Left back. Echo the sentiment that he’s the best I’ve ever seen in that position, followed by Ashley Cole probably - but Shaw is a bit more longevity away from the same bracket. He’s that good for me.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Is there any player who was GOAT candidate in 2 positions? I mean 2 Completely different positions, not just roles.

Also proper 2 footed player.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Is there any player who was GOAT candidate in 2 positions? I mean 2 Completely different positions, not just roles.
Beckenbauer is pretty close as DM/CM and libero. If "GOAT candidate" means top tier among a select few, he fits the bill.
Charlton, Seeler, Eusebio, Maldini, Brehme are some I can think of (based on what I've seen). Stoichkov & Cristiano could/can finish left and right, not sure about their repertoire as a whole.

Last edited:

ThreeCorners

Always felt that is was a real pity that he never won anything at international level that his ability deserved.
Club trophies made up for that though, 5 European/Champion Leagues. :eek:

RooneyLegend

Paul Breitner. Watch any game of his either at left back or center mid and he's in the top 2 players on the pitch regardless of opposition or magnitude of the game. Amazing footballer.

Zen

Let's just have a defence of Maldini-Maldini-Thuram-Thuram...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ultras gonna ultras

Bleu

Supports
New England Revolution
Then Maldini made 4 mistakes in few seconds, as apparently tackling means player has already made a mistake.
It does not mean he made mistakes. I am not sure why anyone would think so, defending is an art in itself and tackling is part of it. Not sure why anyone in the CAF would think this, it doesn't make any sense to me.

Reiver

He was such a good footballer. A world class defender in either position. At LB though, he could play a more attacking role and he was very good going forward. Obviously you didn't get that from him at CB. So it depends what you need from him.Hes my favourite defender of all time.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
People thinking of him as a centre back is similar to Giggs being remembered as an attacking midfielder.

Giggs was among the best left wingers of all time. For less than half his career.

Maldini was the best left back ever. For maybe half his career. He was an incredible centre back but unparalleled as a full back.

That both were decorated players in a secondary position is incredible. But certainly aids recency bias in assessing their merits in their original position.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Incredible LB bar none. At CB, he faced greater competitions from "specialized" CBs. But he's still among the GOATs CB.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Absolutely majestic player - for me the finest left back of all time, certainly in the modern era. Was also a wonderful CB but in his younger years on that left hand side he was just the best. Pure class.