Man City boss Pep Guardiola leads calls to allow five substitutes again

padr81

Supports
Man City
yeah the world revolves about these 2 managers :houllier::houllier::houllier:. they knew the rules when they came here, they knew the way we do the xmas period and both have tried to change that, both managers have run these teams in to the ground over the last 2/3 years and now is why they are getting more injurys for example why do not all teams have massive injury list like these 2 supposedly have ?
Did you have a clue what you jumped in on? Cause you don't have a clue what you are talking about. No.1 City don't even have a big injury list, nevermind massive one.

Two managers?
https://www.football365.com/news/three-premier-league-managers-u-turn-five-subs
David Moyes, Roy Hodgson and Rodgers. Graham Potter, Ole etc.. were all for it before hand.

Knew the rules when they came here is bullshit argument too. The rules everywhere in Europe have changed on the back of a pandemic you might not have noticed but is clearly there. There is only 1 country stupid enough to stick to 3 subs when everyone else is on 5 and even then the majority of managers want 5. This is not a Pep and Klopp thing at all.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I don't want the 5 sub rule to last, and i'm pretty scarded it will. That's why I was happy to see the PL stick to 3 since it's a very powerful championship.

That being said, I think all championship should apply this rule for this season (and this season only). Most players are exhausted at the moment, far too many injuries, we need to allow them to decrease their playing time.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Why is it 3 or 5? What about 4 as a compromise?
I agree with you. I've always felt football should be back to 3 subs as soon as it's appropriate. Four subs with a view to hopefully getting back to 3 subs next season is what I would have liked.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Tifo made a video about the topic of 5 subs. Admittedly, the video focuses more on why the ''smaller'' clubs aren't in favour of 5 subs.

Havak

Pokemon master
I haven't read the whole thread, so something similar has probably been brought up, but I'll say my piece anyway (although I'll leave a key point until the end of anyone is interested).

The main reason I'd be in favour of five substitutions is due to other leagues doing it. They are getting the opportunity to rest players more often throughout the season. This only disadvantages our teams in European competitions, something our FA does historically anyway. Other leagues are more generous in moving fixtures and are doing so with the substitutions. Looks like the English teams will just have to keep doing it the hard way, so to speak.

I largely agree with Jamie Carragher that five substitutions is more for the reverse of what the smaller clubs think it is. Big clubs want it for games where they are perhaps 3 goals to the good with less than an hour played, or extensive leads at half time. Contrary to popular belief, I honestly think that hardly any teams have enough attacking quality to change 4-5 forward and bring on equal or better ones. If Man City need a goal, they can bring on Jesus and Torres to replace Sterling/Aguero/Mahrez... Is that really a big deal? They can do that anyway with three subs allowed. Who else do they change? Foden & Gundogan on for De Bruyne & B.Silva? I don't think being able to make another change or two is a huge deal. We have even seen City & Liverpool making one, or even zero changes in games they aren't winning because their XI will be arguably less likely to score. This just proves the point that five substitutions is there to give players a break in games won, rather than chase a result whilst losing or drawing. You don't often take off better players for worse ones when you need to win, even at a big side with a stronger squad.

My last point, and probably main one at that, is that perhaps there should be some kind of compromise? I have seen people suggest allowing four for the second half of the season which I'd be fine with. However, what about making it either 4-5 subs but 1-2 of them must be home grown players? Or even players under the age of 21?

This gives clubs the chance to rest important players more often, but also give some much needed experience to their younger players.

5 subs with 1 under 21 and 1 home grown minimum would be ideal IMO.