Man to pay £25,000 damages over negative TrustPilot review

Skills

Snitch
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55981600

A man who left a negative review of a legal firm on the TrustPilot website has been ordered to pay £25,000 ($34,000) in libel damages.
Philip James Waymouth engaged London law firm Summerfield Browne online to provide advice but was unsatisfied with the service he received.
He then left a review accusing the firm of being "another scam solicitor", according to court documents.
The firm took legal action, stating that this was untrue and defamatory.
The number of business enquiries it received had dropped since the publication of the review, Summerfield Browne said.
Mr Waymouth had not engaged with Summerfield Browne's complaints procedure before leaving the review, the High Court in London heard.
He did not attend the online hearing or send a legal representative.
He previously said he had offered to remove the review in exchange for a refund of the £200 fee (plus VAT) he had paid but claimed the firm had not responded.
'Sent back'
In the review, Mr Waymouth alleged: "I paid upfront for a legal assessment of my case.
"But what I got was just the information I sent them, reworded and sent back to me."
Finding for the firm, judge Master David Cook said it was "beyond any dispute" the words in the review "had a clear tendency to put people off dealing with the claimant firm".
And Mr Waymouth had "never fully articulated" why he was unhappy with Summerfield Browne's work.
Other reviewers are now leaving TrustPilot reviews on the firm's page, in an attempt to support Mr Waymouth.
What do we think about this? Is this a slippery slope of moderating reviews or was he completely out of like referring to them as a scam (irrespective of their quality of service)

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
It looks like the specific nature and facts of the case has led the judge to rule the way he did, and this isn't considering a wider issue of not allowing customers to criticise the service they received from law firms.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Sounds dodgy but nonetheless a PR masterclass from the law firm :lol:
Except many lay people will now not touch that law firm with a bargepole. Shot themselves in the foot if you ask me. Fecking over your paying customers publicly is not good PR.

Camilo

Except many lay people will now not touch that law firm with a bargepole. Shot themselves in the foot if you ask me. Fecking over your paying customers publicly is not good PR.
I don't think they've fecked over anyone. They had a dick customer.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Having worked in a restaurant people who try to get what they want through threatening you with bad reviews deserve everything they get

King Eric 7

Look at their Google reviews now. Ouch!

This case seems to have done more harm than good for both parties.

diarm

Having worked in a restaurant people who try to get what they want through threatening you with bad reviews deserve everything they get
A restaurant would never see similar support from the legal system though.

Hilarious that after years of people using trip advisor or trustpilot to hurt small businesses disingenuously, it's a law firm that sees justice for it.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Good. People use shitty reviews as a weapon. They're not helpful and are usually just some idiot complaining about something that they're too stupid to understand in the first place.

OleBoiii

How did the court reach this conclusion? It seems bonkers that a review can result in such crazy fines.

F-Red

Outside of the PR element, I don't see any issue with holding people accountable to their reviews, more so when they declare something of a business disagreement as a 'scam', without even articulating what he was dissatisfied about.

This customer sounds a bit weird though, and wouldn't even turn up to the court hearing as he'd moved to Sweden. Citing defence of honest opinion and public interest.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town

Hilarious that after years of people using trip advisor or trustpilot to hurt small businesses disingenuously, it's a law firm that sees justice for it.
i don’t disagree, it’s ridiculous how restaurants have so little comeback about unfair reviews

OleBoiii

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I'm a bit confused... Was he sentenced because he didn't show up in court/whatever?

Does the the UK have the same bullshit laws as the US where you have pay your own lawyer fees even if you win, thus resulting in a system where big players constantly scare the little guy into settling, regardless of whether they are right?
No one was sentenced as far as I can see. Seems he was ordered to pay a fine for defamation against the company, after calling it a scam company, in an online review.

Seems the court ruled that he never engaged with the company to air his grievances, nor attended the online hearing to try and resolve and that his review seemed malicious in intent.

Siorac

He used the word 'scam' - when it comes to a law firm, that's pretty much the equivalent of claiming a restaurant deliberately poisoned you.

Had he written that the lawyers were rude and they, I don't know, gave advice in a way a layperson couldn't understand, I'm sure he wouldn't have been convicted (or possibly even sued at all).

DavelinaJolie

I don't know. I tend to think of you make fallacious claims to the detrimental effect of someone or a business, then yeah, there should be a consequence.

OleBoiii

Seems the court ruled that he never engaged with the company to air his grievances, nor attended the online hearing to try and resolve and that his review seemed malicious in intent.
Seems like a bullshit call then. Without knowing the full story: sometimes the damage is already done. Even if he was offered some form of refund he may feel that the initial annoyance and loss of time doesn't make up for it.

The man in question was probably a bit too emotional(and maybe even unreasonable) in his review, but that does not justify giving him a fine.

F-Red

The man in question was probably a bit too emotional(and maybe even unreasonable) in his review, but that does not justify giving him a fine.
Well what justifies the libel case then? Or are we saying it's acceptable to make claims, libel in nature, without a consequence? The fine was related to general and special damages (I assume the latter loss of business), and costs from the claimant in bringing the case to the court. It was argued that by using the term scam, the defendant was linking the solicitors as dishonest and fraudulent, and those matters come down to fact rather than opinion. He couldn't back it up, nor wanted to by the sounds of it.

I don't know if you've actually read the case in full? It doesn't read well for the defendant, and certainly has a bee in his bonnet about the legal profession ('another' scam solicitor) and certainly wouldn't engage rationally in the court process. Formatting in the quotes isn't the greatest.

https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2021/85.html

Trustpilot Review said:
""A total waste of money another scam solicitor
Stacey mills left the company half way through my assessment and the replacement was useless. I paid upfront for a legal assessment of my case, but what I got was just the information I sent them, reworded and sent back to me. No new information or how to proceed or what the law says or indeed the implications of what was done. I Just got their false assumptions, full of errors showing a lack of understanding for the situation and the law. Once they have your money they are totally apathetic towards you. You will learn more from forums, you tube and the Citizens advice website about your case, for free"
Defendant response to being sent a link for the hearing said:
"I have had no correspondence from your court and this notice of hearing for the 6th of July came to me via E Mail from Rhodes@SummerfieldBrowne.com.
This entire situation is of their own creation, they deceived me into believing they would provide an assessment to the value of £200 +vat, they did not provide anything of value - its a dictionary definition of the word Scam.
Summerfield Browne made no attempt to negotiate out of court and refused to respond to my offers on three occasions. They refused to discuss my pre court offer of withdrawing my opinion should they refund my £200 +vat. They are suing for personal gain.
SB are the solicitor acting in person, they have no 'client', they are claiming to represent their 'client' for the sole purpose of financial gain.
Going through litigation is just another attempt at getting more money from me without giving anything of service in return and all the hallmarks of a scam solicitor.
I am disappointed that the High Court has given this self-serving solicitor a hearing when the prerequisite of pre court negotiating has not been satisfied and suggest the case dismissed immediately before costs are incurred.
The cost of attending this hearing with representation, excludes me from my right to justice as is clearly their intention."
Defendent emailing the court directly said:
"I am well aware of the history of this application and I responded to it at the time with a witness statement answering all the issues.
You have not answered any of my points or addressed any of the issues I raised.
If you seek a response from me for you procedure, then you could include my witness statement in the court bundle along with this email chain and the judge can read it all before the hearing should he/she wish to do so.
I have already made it perfectly clear that this case should never be heard in court and I will not be giving it any credence or legitimacy by attending.
By continuing with the hearing you are undermining the integrity of your own institution"

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Seems like a bullshit call then. Without knowing the full story: sometimes the damage is already done. Even if he was offered some form of refund he may feel that the initial annoyance and loss of time doesn't make up for it.

Yeah I don’t really know all the details but it was a call made by a judge, after reviewing the evidence. I suppose libel/defamation shouldn’t be allowed.

Drainy

I'm a bit confused... Was he sentenced because he didn't show up in court/whatever?

Does the the UK have the same bullshit laws as the US where you have pay your own lawyer fees even if you win, thus resulting in a system where big players constantly scare the little guy into settling, regardless of whether they are right?
Depends on the type of case. Generally where there are damages (but also other types of cases) the other side will pay the winning sides reasonable costs. Depending on the retainer the client may still liable for any shortfall in recovery though.

The defendant can limit their liability by making a Part 36 offer that if the claimant fails to beat they don't have to pay the costs after the expiry of the offer, and the claimant have to pay the defendants costs from that point.

Last edited:

OleBoiii

Well what justifies the libel case then?
I actually had to google "libel definition" to double-check, as I thought "malicious intent" played a part, but it turns out that I'm wrong:

Libel
"... libel generally requires five key elements: the plaintiff must prove that the information was published, the plaintiff was directly or indirectly identified, the remarks were defamatory towards the plaintiff's reputation, the published information is false, and that the defendant is at fault."
This is problematic, though. In essence, this means that publishing a negative review potentially can ruin your life if you accidentally use the wrong word. In this particular case, this poor fool made the mistake of using the word 'scam'. My friends and I have used that word quite often over the years, though we've rarely meant it in a literal sense. I guess from a legal standpoint they've managed to spin it that way.

I think common sense should come into play here. If you're a journalist, celebrity or someone with a large following, then you obviously need to tread more lightly and be prepared to back your claims. An average joe writing a review on TrustPilot or Yelp etc should not risk getting sued unless he makes threats or writes something racist/homophobic etc.

F-Red

This is problematic, though. In essence, this means that publishing a negative review potentially can ruin your life if you accidentally use the wrong word. In this particular case, this poor fool made the mistake of using the word 'scam'. My friends and I have used that word quite often over the years, though we've rarely meant it in a literal sense. I guess from a legal standpoint they've managed to spin it that way.

I think common sense should come into play here. If you're a journalist, celebrity or someone with a large following, then you obviously need to tread more lightly and be prepared to back your claims. An average joe writing a review on TrustPilot or Yelp etc should not risk getting sued unless he makes threats or writes something racist/homophobic etc.
I don't see any difference if i'm honest, just because it's a business doesn't make it fair crack to lie or make a defamatory statement to impact the business reputation without any substance. You only have to look at the diatribe on Tripadvisor to see the impact of how often unfair reviews can impact the smallest of businesses.

Far too many exploit it for the benefit, like @diarm mentioned. The fact this guy didn't even take it through their complaints process, and even attend the court process just shows how unsubstantiated his claims were and how common sense wasn't even applied by the defendant. I've got very little sympathy for him.

OleBoiii

I don't see any difference if i'm honest, just because it's a business doesn't make it fair crack to lie or make a defamatory statement to impact the business reputation without any substance. You only have to look at the diatribe on Tripadvisor to see the impact of how often unfair reviews can impact the smallest of businesses.

Far too many exploit it for the benefit, like @diarm mentioned. The fact this guy didn't even take it through their complaints process, and even attend the court process just shows how unsubstantiated his claims were and how common sense wasn't even applied by the defendant. I've got very little sympathy for him.

You don't see the difference between the word of a journalist for a large publication and an average joe on TrustPilot?

If I understand the story, this is how it went initially:

- A man payed 200 pounds for legal services.
- The help he got was so poor/obvious that he might as well have spent an hour or so on google and gotten the same information(I have no problem believing this, btw)
- The guy writes an angry review like so many others have before him. Whether he expected too much is kind of irrelevant. It's not criminal to be stupid the last time I checked(I'm stupid myself, so I need to double-check constantly).
- The law firm writes to him personally and asks him to remove the review and make a formal complaint internally(?)
- The guy ignores the request and is subsequently sued for libel.

The guy strikes me as an idiot and his definition of the word 'scam' is dubious, but up until this point he has done nothing worthy of getting sued.

"But why didn't he make a formal complaint internally?"

Why would he? First of all, he may not have been aware of the opportunity. Secondly, the best case scenario is that he gets his money back, possibly after a lot of back and forth. Thirdly, if they made the suggestion while also asking him to remove the review, then it's likely that he understood that he hit a nerve(which was probably his main motivation). It doesn't exactly scream 'great customer service' when you are asked to go through formal channels while simultaneously being asked to remove a review. Not that it matters in this case anyways...

The guy strikes me as a moron, but he didn't deserve this. What's next? McDonald's suing random Twitter users for jokingly suggesting that they use raccoon meat in their shite burgers?

F-Red

You don't see the difference between the word of a journalist for a large publication and an average joe on TrustPilot?
I do see the difference, quite clearly in fact. The former has plenty of regulatory bodies to ensure accurate reporting (plus the law to a degree), the latter has the law to follow. The point isn't about the format or the publication, but the fact there is laws out there where people cannot go and make defamatory comments without substance or foundation. The problem he had was that calling a solicitors a 'scam', which is clearly impactful for a business which is by definition is in the business of interpreting law and litigation.

Most companies wouldn't spend the effort in chasing up every single review on Trustpilot, as often it's difficult to ascertain financial impact (I talk in experience of working for a retailer who works closely with Trustpilot). The difference in this case is that the solicitors saw an impact to their business because of his comment, and they believed the libellous comment was made without foundation. The evidence presented to the judge agreed with their case. It's difficult to argue, unless you believe that comments published on the internet are without recourse or consequence?

"But why didn't he make a formal complaint internally?"

Why would he? First of all, he may not have been aware of the opportunity. Secondly, the best case scenario is that he gets his money back, possibly after a lot of back and forth. Thirdly, if they made the suggestion while also asking him to remove the review, then it's likely that he understood that he hit a nerve(which was probably his main motivation). It doesn't exactly scream 'great customer service' when you are asked to go through formal channels while simultaneously being asked to remove a review. Not that it matters in this case anyways...
Why would he? If he had a genuine complaint and wanted some mediation then he'd go through that like any normal, rational, person would do with any issue with customer service. As soon as he's published then it opens up to a whole new world.

The guy strikes me as a moron, but he didn't deserve this. What's next? McDonald's suing random Twitter users for jokingly suggesting that they use raccoon meat in their shite burgers?
You're right, he's a moron, and I have no sympathy on the basis it looked like he had multiple opportunities to back down. His engagement in the court proceedings was embarrassing and probably did him no favours. If McDonalds wanted to go to the effort and can prove it had financial impact to their business, then yes they can chase that if they feel like it. Like with any legal matter, its whether the case has impacted the business enough and then the pursuit of such an individual has the funds to cover the losses they've incurred as a result of their defamatory statement. In this case above, the solicitors was able to prove this successfully.

OleBoiii

Why would he? If he had a genuine complaint and wanted some mediation then he'd go through that like any normal, rational, person would do with any issue with customer service. As soon as he's published then it opens up to a whole new world.
Like I said before: sometimes the damage is already done. The initial annoyance and time spent alone could most definitely be worthy of a negative review! Just because a formal procedure exists, it doesn't mean that he has to waste his time on it. Especially if it's no longer about the money.

If I buy a service from you and I'm not satisfied with the result, then I have the right to complain on these websites. I personally wouldn't do it, but I think the right to do so is important. Even if you offer the money back or even to redo the job properly it doesn't change the fact that you did a poor job initially. That in itself is worthy of criticism, as you've already been an annoyance and wasted my time. It's absolutely insane that I in such a case can lose all the money I own for pointing that out on a review site made for that exact purpose.

Like with any legal matter, its whether the case has impacted the business enough and then the pursuit of such an individual has the funds to cover the losses they've incurred as a result of their defamatory statement. In this case above, the solicitors was able to prove this successfully.
Just another great example of how law has absolutely nothing to do with ethics or common sense.

F-Red

Like I said before: sometimes the damage is already done. The initial annoyance and time spent alone could most definitely be worthy of a negative review! Just because a formal procedure exists, it doesn't mean that he has to waste his time on it. Especially if it's no longer about the money.
Absolutely, he could have not gone down the route of a complaint and left a review, however the impact of the term 'scam' is what has caused, according to the solicitor, an impact to their business. I would be confident in saying that if he didn't go down the scam route, we probably wouldn't be talking on this matter!

If I buy a service from you and I'm not satisfied with the result, then I have the right to complain on these websites. I personally wouldn't do it, but I think the right to do so is important. Even if you offer the money back or even to redo the job properly it doesn't change the fact that you did a poor job initially. That in itself is worthy of criticism, as you've already been an annoyance and wasted my time. It's absolutely insane that I in such a case can lose all the money I own for pointing that out on a review site made for that exact purpose.
You have a right to publish a review for sure, but you can't publish lies and not expect some form of response if the business feels it's necessary, libel law doesn't get filtered because an unhappy customer is talking about a service. Which is what this whole case was about. Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot and companies provided feedback on customers? I'm pretty sure we'd see more businesses be sued as customers don't have thick skins, and how it'd be defamatory comments as it's not a true snapshot of the individual. I'm being facetious on this point clearly.

Worth looking at, but Trustpilot have some clear guidelines on what they want from reviewers, this would no doubt have helped clarify the case further. https://uk.legal.trustpilot.com/for-reviewers/guidelines-for-reviewers

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I actually had to google "libel definition" to double-check, as I thought "malicious intent" played a part, but it turns out that I'm wrong:

If you are gong to publicly attack a lawyer it doesn't take a genius to know you should be careful to be very specific with your wording.

OleBoiii

Absolutely, he could have not gone down the route of a complaint and left a review, however the impact of the term 'scam' is what has caused, according to the solicitor, an impact to their business. I would be confident in saying that if he didn't go down the scam route, we probably wouldn't be talking on this matter!
There's a few problems here: firstly, language. Many people have a different idea of what a scam is. In this guy's case, 'poor service' can in some cases count as scam. I don't agree obviously, but intent should play a part. Secondly, and most importantly: how could they prove for sure that the keyword 'scam' caused such a damage? Even after seeing the sentence I still have a hard time believing it. I wouldn't in my wildest imagination have foreseen such a crazy impact if I was in that guy's shoes.

Our of curiosity: if you switch 'scam' with 'terrible service', do you then agree that the sentencing is wrong?

Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot and companies provided feedback on customers? I'm pretty sure we'd see more businesses be sued as customers don't have thick skins, and how it'd be defamatory comments as it's not a true snapshot of the individual. I'm being facetious on this point clearly.
Just because you admit to being facetious it doesn't make the comparison any less poor.

OleBoiii

If you are gong to publicly attack a lawyer it doesn't take a genius to know you should be careful to be very specific with your wording.
Did he publicly attack a lawyer by name? I thought he only focused on the firm(he mentioned one lawyer, but said nothing negative about her, right?).