Man United U21's v Blackburn

Bertie Wooster

Live on MUTV. 7pm kick-off.

Bishop - Jurado, Aljofree, Hardley, Murray - Gore, Iqbal - Forson, Hansen-Aarøen, Emeran - Hugill.

Subs: Mee, Jackson, Collyer, Huddlestone, Meija.

No Charlie McNeill after his two goals in midweek for the U21's - maybe a place in the first team squad v Reading?

bludsucker

We seem to be dominating possession with no end product. It is absolutely boiling my piss that they are playing tippy tappy football in and around the blackburn box without taking a shot in anger.

bludsucker

Once again missed out on scoring by hansen aaron i think by wanting to walk the ball into their net.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Interesting goal there.

bludsucker

We score 1-0 to United. Wasn’t sure who the scorer was. Did our no.7 get a touch on the ball ?

Thiagoal

Gore looks some player! Lovely low centre of gravity and takes up some wonderful positions

Bertie Wooster

Very good first half. Fully deserved at least the two goal lead.

Continue to be impressed with Dan Gore.

AltiUn

Blackburn with a deserved goal, we’ve been too casual this half.

AltiUn

Blackburn are always such rats at youth level.

lysglimt

Scout
This was indeed a very strange game. Just over 3 months ago, Blackburn won the reversed fixture by 6-1 against a United-side which on paper looked stronger than the one we had yesterday (Mastny, Savage, Shoretire and Bennett all started in that fixture) - yet the difference in quality was so huge in our favour yesterday, it was strange that we didn't win by a bigger margin than 6-1. We really were that dominant

In all my years of being a United-fan, the most dominant I have ever seen a United-side be against P.L-opposition was when we played that awful Sunderland-side about 20 years ago. Sunderland took the lead after 4 minutes, and the rest of the match was one way traffic - but we didn't score until the 82th and 90th minute by Becks and Scholes. We almost were as dominant yesterday, and despite all this we only won by 2-1.

And to take the negative first - despite our dominance, the goalkeeper really didn't need to make that many great saves. The one stand out save I remember as I write this is the one he made from Forson's volley , fairly late in the game. Forson also hit the bar and we had one goal correctly disallowed. But most of the shots went wide from very good positions (Iqbal had a few, Hansen Aarøen had one, Forson had one) - and time and time again we made the wrong choices around Blackburns box, and failed to come to any clear cut chances. Which on several occations, we really should have.

But the positive far outweighed the negative. The build-up play at times was excellent. Blackburn couldn't get near Forson, Hansen Aarøen channelled his inner Modric and danced around in midfield, and Gore and Iqbal sprayed passes around of the highest quality. Our defenders had full controll for 99% of the game, and Blackburn struggled to even come near our penalty area. (27-5 in goal attempts).

If we had been just slightly more prolific, I would say that this was our best performance of the season. I have been critical of Dempsey in the past but he deserves credit for the way he has managed to turn things around. We started the season with 1 win in 12, now we are midtable with 4 straight wins.

A lot of players performed really well yesterday, but Gore, Hansen Aarøen and Iqbal were in a league of their own. I have never seen Hansen Aarøen better, he danced between the opponents with the ball at his feet. Iqbal looked ready for better opposition as he controlled the midfield. And Gore's evening can best be described in the build up to Emerans goal. He receives a really hard pass, turns with the ball glued to his feet and sets up Emeran for the goal. Amazing. I also have to give a lot of credit to Forson despite his inability to score. He created so much down his side. A really good performance from him as well.

Thiagoal

This was indeed a very strange game. Just over 3 months ago, Blackburn won the reversed fixture by 6-1 against a United-side which on paper looked stronger than the one we had yesterday (Mastny, Savage, Shoretire and Bennett all started in that fixture) - yet the difference in quality was so huge in our favour yesterday, it was strange that we didn't win by a bigger margin than 6-1. We really were that dominant

In all my years of being a United-fan, the most dominant I have ever seen a United-side be against P.L-opposition was when we played that awful Sunderland-side about 20 years ago. Sunderland took the lead after 4 minutes, and the rest of the match was one way traffic - but we didn't score until the 82th and 90th minute by Becks and Scholes. We almost were as dominant yesterday, and despite all this we only won by 2-1.

And to take the negative first - despite our dominance, the goalkeeper really didn't need to make that many great saves. The one stand out save I remember as I write this is the one he made from Forson's volley , fairly late in the game. Forson also hit the bar and we had one goal correctly disallowed. But most of the shots went wide from very good positions (Iqbal had a few, Hansen Aarøen had one, Forson had one) - and time and time again we made the wrong choices around Blackburns box, and failed to come to any clear cut chances. Which on several occations, we really should have.

But the positive far outweighed the negative. The build-up play at times was excellent. Blackburn couldn't get near Forson, Hansen Aarøen channelled his inner Modric and danced around in midfield, and Gore and Iqbal sprayed passes around of the highest quality. Our defenders had full controll for 99% of the game, and Blackburn struggled to even come near our penalty area. (27-5 in goal attempts).

If we had been just slightly more prolific, I would say that this was our best performance of the season. I have been critical of Dempsey in the past but he deserves credit for the way he has managed to turn things around. We started the season with 1 win in 12, now we are midtable with 4 straight wins.

A lot of players performed really well yesterday, but Gore, Hansen Aarøen and Iqbal were in a league of their own. I have never seen Hansen Aarøen better, he danced between the opponents with the ball at his feet. Iqbal looked ready for better opposition as he controlled the midfield. And Gore's evening can best be described in the build up to Emerans goal. He receives a really hard pass, turns with the ball glued to his feet and sets up Emeran for the goal. Amazing. I also have to give a lot of credit to Forson despite his inability to score. He created so much down his side. A really good performance from him as well.
I agree. It was almost total domination yesterday, primarily due to our excellent midfield! Gore looks really clever, whether he has the physicality to play at the highest level remains to be seen though! I love watching Hansen Aarøen and think he could be a player that breaks through big time in his early 20’s (a bit like Modric)

Really don’t understand why people think McNeill is anywhere near our first team though. I think he is a very average all round player!

Bertie Wooster

I agree. It was almost total domination yesterday, primarily due to our excellent midfield! Gore looks really clever, whether he has the physicality to play at the highest level remains to be seen though! I love watching Hansen Aarøen and think he could be a player that breaks through big time in his early 20’s (a bit like Modric)

Really don’t understand why people think McNeill is anywhere near our first team though. I think he is a very average all round player!
For my part, I only suggested it in the OP for three reasons - he was a noticeable absence in the matchday squad; we might be resting some players in the next couple of first team games which means some kids might get promoted to filling the bench; we're particularly short on #9's so someone like Rashford being rested from the squad entirely might result in a not necessary deserved bench appearance for someone like McNeill or Hugill.

Ability wise, I agree he's nowhere near ready to be a first team squad member like Garnacho. And huge doubt whether he'll ever be - I even suggested in a recent thread that I don't think he's ready for a senior loan yet as he still needs to fully prove / establish himself at U21 level let alone senior level.

But he has already filled a place on the 1st team bench at times when players were rested - and made a sub appearance v Sociedad. I just wondered if his absence might indicate another brief step up while players are rested? Not that he's in any way ready for regular inclusion in the first team squad.

AltiUn

He is. Don't think any of our young strikers are particularly special.

KevinJoh

They improved a lot as a team, and we are missing a few players. Not sure what is the plan, but looks to me that we have too many players who are ready for loan, and with less U21 games till the end of the season, not sure why we did not loan a few more. Also, not sure what is going with injuries.
Iqbal, Emeran, McNeill, Bennet, Mengi, Bernard, Wellens should already be on loan. Probably only Iqbal and Mengi from them have some small chance to get eventually to the squad, but I would not bet on that. Mengi obviously with injury problems all the time, and Iqbal need a few years of development and experience. Others from the list maybe can get a good season and we can get a million or two for them. Not sure what happened with Bernard (I guess injury) as he had two excellent seasons on loan. With Hull performances behind, I am pretty sure he can get Championship loan, or maybe better League One loan where he would play every week.