Man United v Liverpool Post Match

el3mel

If you think any game between UTD and Liverpool is a nothing game then maybe it's you who needs to look at themselves in the mirror, you're right that in the long run the game means nothing, UTD fans were gutted they lost whether they want to admit it or not just like our fans would be if we had lost, i hate losing to UTD just as much as they hate losing to us, to the managers it's a training session, to us fans UTD vs Liverpool is a must win game, how any fan from either club can say this game was meaningless and meant nothing is beyond me.
It's a nothing game and means feck all in the long run and I mentioned an example of City losing to us last preseason.

Anyone who get irritated by a friendly is taking football too seriously.

RedCurry

UTD fans were gutted they lost whether they want to admit it or not just like our fans would be if we had lost
No, we're really not as gutted as you're hoping for. Most of us realize that it was what it was, that is a pre-season game. You had all your players, we barely had any of ours. Liverpool players tripped over their own feet to win penalties against our first team hopefuls.

Only thing that annoys me is how we really tired off after the hour mark which has very little to do with Liverpool.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
That Herrera/Robertson incident looked more like Herrera clipped Robertson's heel which caused him to trip himself up.

I haven't seen it again though so I'm not 100% sure.

iHicksy

If you think any game between UTD and Liverpool is a nothing game then maybe it's you who needs to look at themselves in the mirror, you're right that in the long run the game means nothing, UTD fans were gutted they lost whether you want to admit it or not just like our fans would be if we had lost, i hate losing to UTD just as much as you hate losing to us, to the managers it's a training session, to us fans UTD vs Liverpool is a must win game, how any fan from either club can say this game was meaningless and meant nothing is beyond me.
United fans are certainly not gutted we lost. Just like we weren't thrilled a couple of years back when we took apart Madrid and Liverpool back to back in pre-season. The reason? Because we know pre-season games are completely meaningless, even more so when both teams are playing their 2nd and 3rd string players. You say how any fan from either club can say this game was meaningless is beyond you? Perhaps it's because as a Liverpool fan you put store in meaningless games because you are unable to beat us in the league? Because, that's exactly what it is. Completely meaningless. I'd be interested to understand what kind of 'meaning' you can take from two reserve teams playing in an american pre season friendly who's sole purpose is to build up fitness and not get injured. But as I say, maybe 'Pool fans put more stock in these games than is usual for a football fan....

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
11500 minutes played in the first team by Liverpool
6300 played by the United players.

If anyone's interested.

RedCurry

That Herrera/Robertson incident looked more like Herrera clipped Robertson's heel which caused him to trip himself up.

I haven't seen it again though so I'm not 100% sure.
All I am saying is that we're not kicking ourselves over this game.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
My thoughts exactly. He said most of these youngsters won't feature in the first team and he's right. Liverpool have most of their first team players back and we don't. A lot of the players we used are still far from being first team material. Saying that I still think we need top class full backs and a proper right winger. It's a shame we just have Sanchez and Mata up front and an out-of-form Martial who looks very complacent and seems to have fallen out with Jose.
We know that, the worlds media knows that, unless he thinks we're all stupid....

Briman63

Supports
Liverpool
No, we're really not as gutted as you're hoping for. Most of us realize that it was what it was, that is a pre-season game. You had all your players, we barely had any of ours. Liverpool players tripped over their own feet to win penalties against our first team hopefuls.

Only thing that annoys me is how we really tired off after the hour mark which has very little to do with Liverpool.
I know it was a pre season game and in the long term the game meant nothing but UTD/Liverpool games are always a must win, as far as us having all our players, yes we had a stronger team 1st half but what about the 2nd half ? we had 1 first team player compared to your 4 or 5 1st teamers so you can't use that excuse, as far as tripping over our own feet to win penalties that's just nonsense, yes both penalties were dubious and i would have been pissed off if they had been given against us but to say they were dives is just you being blinkered.

Craig Ward

Friendly or not, the result is poor for utd.

Liverpools youngsters looked sharper, understand they're system better and generally looked more competent. We looked disjointed and couldn't cope with Liverpool

Our team was weak though and in the long run this result alone wont have ANY effect on the coming season. We are missing a lot of Key players remember

Jose's constant moaning cant be good for our squad morale though. Compare our team togetherness to others and that's where we are letting ourselves down

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
11500 minutes played in the first team by Liverpool
6300 played by the United players.

If anyone's interested.
That just says more about Klopp's willingness to rotate last season, compared to Mourinho, than it does anything else.

I've already said this but United had four players we would consider first teamers in our starting line-up (Bailly, Sanchez, Mata and Hererra) which is the exact same number that Liverpool had in theirs (Mane, Salah, Van Dijk, Fabinho)

If you want to talk about minutes, how about totting them up from this specific fixture?

323 minutes played by United first XI players vs 145 minutes played by Liverpool first XI players*.

*Sanchez (81) + Hererra = (81) + Bailly (90) etc etc )

Briman63

Supports
Liverpool
It's a nothing game and means feck all in the long run and I mentioned an example of City losing to us last preseason.

Anyone who get irritated by a friendly is taking football too seriously.
You're right, in the long term it means nothing but you walk into Manchester and ask any UTD fan how they felt about losing 4 - 1 to Liverpool (friendly or not) and you will get a different response. both set of fans know the game will have no bearing on the coming season but its still UTD vs Liverpool and it does matter, iv'e seen 1 poster say maybe it matters more to Liverpool fans more than UTD fans which is a load of rubbish, that's like saying UTD fans are less passionate about there club than we are, that's nonsense, beating Liverpool in any game is just as important to you as it is to us, if the result was the other way round i'm sure your attitude would be completely different.

RedCurry

I know it was a pre season game and in the long term the game meant nothing but UTD/Liverpool games are always a must win, as far as us having all our players, yes we had a stronger team 1st half but what about the 2nd half ? we had 1 first team player compared to your 4 or 5 1st teamers so you can't use that excuse, as far as tripping over our own feet to win penalties that's just nonsense, yes both penalties were dubious and i would have been pissed off if they had been given against us but to say they were dives is just you being blinkered.
I am really interested to know who these 4-5 first teamers really are. Sanchez and arguably Mata would be the only players who would be considered first team players for us. We were playing without Pogba, Matic, Lukaku, DDG, Valencia, Young, Lingard, Smalling. Our squad ordered by league minutes from last season.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Generally if you look at the games in the second half of last season where we've played our first team, you find no more than two of the players who featured the other night, with Sanchez the only one who appears in the team with any consistency at all. If you look at games before we signed him, you find examples of where none of these players were involved.

It's no basis to make a judgement on, that can go anywhere beyond "we need some of our players back"

I don't even think it says anything about rotation either. Mata, Herrera and Bailly are players Jose rotates. The rest were players who just aren't part of our actual squad at all, with the exception of Darmian who is as a reluctant last resort.

What do you learn from putting out a team that you would never put out by choice in a competitive game, even if you decided to rest your actual first team players? ..nothing. Except maybe that you can't afford to do it in a real game.

el3mel

You're right, in the long term it means nothing but you walk into Manchester and ask any UTD fan how they felt about losing 4 - 1 to Liverpool (friendly or not) and you will get a different response. both set of fans know the game will have no bearing on the coming season but its still UTD vs Liverpool and it does matter, iv'e seen 1 poster say maybe it matters more to Liverpool fans more than UTD fans which is a load of rubbish, that's like saying UTD fans are less passionate about there club than we are, that's nonsense, beating Liverpool in any game is just as important to you as it is to us, if the result was the other way round i'm sure your attitude would be completely different.
It's not called less passionate. It's called taking things as they're.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Or gets what Manchester United verses Liverpool actually means. It goes beyond football, sad but true
Absolute bullshit. It’s s friendly in the USA. Means absolute nothing even if it is United-Liverpool. It doesn’t even go beyond being a fitness session.

OldSchoolManc

I still find it incredibly sad that Liverpool players dived for penalties 3 times in a friendly. Only one wasn’t given. Bodes well for the avalanche of penalty shouts that Liverpool claim this season.

AlwaysRed66

I still find it incredibly sad that Liverpool players dived for penalties 3 times in a friendly. Only one wasn’t given. Bodes well for the avalanche of penalty shouts that Liverpool claim this season.
Will, their hero for many years was Steven lets fall down Gerrard, so not surprising. Probably getting the Rangers players in diving practice for the new season.

rasta4eye

Jose didn’t want this tour, he hasn’t got the players he asked for and he is again criticising certain players for taking a holiday. Shades of his second spell at Chelsea I think.

Two things will happen. Either he gets the two players he wants and the emphasis is then back on him to provide a title or he will use the tour and lack of signings as an excuse to cover up the inevitable poor performances for the early part of the season.

Of course, a third scenario could happen and he could leave or be sacked which would be no surprise. Either way it’s a shambles as is every preseason of late. They never learn.
4th scenario, we blow teams away and storm to the top of the league.

rasta4eye

The result means nothing.

The performance was woeful. For some reason some people on here have decided that we’re not allowed to be irritated about a woeful performance from the team we support, in which they got completely outclassed by our most bitter rivals.

The reason we’re not allowed to be annoyed is because we had only 4 first teamers in our starting line-up (same as Liverpool) and kept our “stars” on the pitch for 81 minutes, whereas Liverpool took theirs off at half time. Either that or because the season doesn’t start for absolutely ages (Friday week)

So yeah, we should stop our silly moaning. Nothing to see here. Move along.
First half we looked lively and dangerous on the break, we also seemed somewhat decent defending their strong lineup, so its hard to for me to look at this through a half empty glass, even thought its never nice loosing to the dippers!

When it counts I am more than confident that we will do well against them, or smash the cnuts as some people might say.

Redphantom

Supports
Liverpool FC
Have to agree its only a friendly, a glorified training session and a pay check to the clubs. However if United had beaten us 4-1 I'd be very interested to read the posts on this forum. I think as supporters of our respective clubs we want to see our team win no matter what the game, I do. I just don't get this 'oh its the Europa League' it doesn't count as a serious trophy bullshit that't banded about these days, I bet you all enjoyed winning that. I know the Europa League and a pre season league friendly are 2 totally different things, but this idea that defeat doesn't matter even regarding the circumstances is a bit odd. Yep I enjoyed the result but until the serious business starts next week it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. We all start on zero, I'm certainly not going to make any wild predictions, but the natural thought process of every supporter prior to the season is to dream a little 'thats why we like it'.