Man United v Real Madrid | Post Match

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We're going back to Liverpool being better than us.
It's painful but yeah they kinda might be, let's keep our fingers crossed that all their signings flop and they finish 5th.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Fred good, we've really been missing this kind of player. Alexis looks like he will absolutely demolish this season. Perreira is still silky smooth in midfield. Bailey is still insane. Shaw, TFM shit. McTominay average as usual. Mata continues to link well with Alexis. DDG should have done better for their goal - should have collected that cross.

Otherwise, this win means as much as the loss against liverpool - not much. Looking fitter.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
That's a bus we can all agree Mourinho should be allowed to park, before it gets too far. Hopefully he can do it.
I don't buy that Liverpool are better than us. I'll put my trust in the boombust before anything

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
That must have been painful for him driving the bus for Pool. :lol:
I didn't belive it
That must have been painful for him driving the bus for Pool. :lol:
He went off a cliff and lost his foot.

We played football and my friend said "my dad drove the bus of the cliff in Switzerland" I laughed and no he didn't.
Then I went to his house and his dad had one foot

Patrick08

So basically just wait to pounce on mistakes and give the ball away with just 2-3 passes. If he is going to play this way then a better centre back will surely be needed.

svastian99

Jose Mourinho Post Match Conference vs Real Madrid 2018

Last edited by a moderator:

Eddy_JukeZ

Looked good the 1st 30 or so minutes.

Was hard to watch after that. Sanchez isolated constantly chasing through balls or dealing with aerial balls.

Couldn't maintain any semblance of possession.

Sanchez looks more fresh than last season, so that's a plus.

CognitiveNeuro

Just came back from the game....was amazing how much of the stadium was Madrid supporters.

Trizy

Just came back from the game....was amazing how much of the stadium was Madrid supporters.
Football is growing very fast in the US the past 5 years. The same length of time Madrid have dominated the biggest club competition in the world. Of course they'll have loads of fans there.

lococol

Well, we defeated Madrid and Pool defeated us. Guess Liverpool fans can now claim they are the real CL champions!
They did beat us but but that is old news. You are only as good as your last match as the old saying goes and our last match saw us beating the champions of Europe. Get in!

Member 90887

The midfield with Fred-Matic-Pogba is going to have a pretty good balance i think. Fred will add some needed pace, bite and simplicity. Also with Herrera, Pereira (which has impressed in more than a few ways) and McTominay as backup and with Fellaini as a wildcard we'll have a pretty strong midfield.

Our central defence is decent with Smalling, Bailly and the usual suspects.
But we badly need to address both fullback positions and the right wing before the window shuts. It will be very hard to build on last season if we can't fix those positions with some new blood.
I think that Young is alright for us, whether he plays on the right or on the left, he offers plenty in attack and is as good as Valencia in defense, the man kept Rose out of the english first team in the world cup ...

It's specifically Valencia that we need to upgrade. we have two options, switch Young to the right and buy an LB or buy an RB, which we did in Dalot, so it's probably better to get a LB.

Member 90887

Football is growing very fast in the US the past 5 years. The same length of time Madrid have dominated the biggest club competition in the world. Of course they'll have loads of fans there.
Not just that, Miami is a hispanic metropolis, lots of Latin american there, so it's not surprising really.

Borden

Missed the game. The goals were nice. Judging by this thread it looks like we played a pretty good first half and sat back in the second? Am I understanding it correctly? How many chances did we have in total?

CognitiveNeuro

Maybe the other guy is right, it's because of the latin connection....almost everyone in my section was hispanic.

It was the first United game I ever saw too :D

StillPlayingFooty

Supports
Liverpool FC
Nice to end on a high.
DDG, Sanchez, Pereira, Fred, Mata, Tuanzebe, Herrera, TFM, Bailly all played well.
Shaw was poor as was Darmian bar his assist, more and more bizzare that the club aren't paying up for new full backs.
Ah well. Nice to see plenty of players get ninety minutes.
Will many players be back for Bayern?
Bailly?

Admittedly I saw only highlights from youtube but Bailly seemed to be a culprit in all of Real's chances. And there were glorious ones for 3 at least. Always letting the attacker in front. So he made some excellent plays to balance the bad too in the actual game?

Also the highlights were very generous to United as I checked the match stats. 29% possession and 79% pass accuracy indicate some Rocky Balboa tactics on United's part. Works for one game but worrying for you if that's your game plan entirely. Long are gone the days United dominated in style.

Sanchez looked really sharp.

So how was the game honestly? From the youtube it looks United rode their luck in this game. Works for one or two games but long run success? No.

Last edited:

Zlatattack

Jose Mourinho Post Match Conference vs Real Madrid 2018

He looked like he was forced to be there at gunpoint....lol

He made a point of talking about how pointless this pre-season was. He also talked about how the league wasn't starting later to accomodate clubs for the WC. He talked about how rubbish the under-23 team was twice! He said he's going to bring youngsters thru, but he said all our good young players are 16, 17, 18 and need to grow in their own teams first. He started to answer a question about Martial and i can't make any sense of what he said.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
how exactly did we set up in midfield? Where did Fred play?
We set up in 352 and for the most part we looked comfortable. Fred played well enough without over-exerting himself, Sanchez and Pereira were sharp and constantly looking to make things happen. It's difficult to take anything from the game as it was only a friendly and both sets of players treated it as such.

Overall we looked a lot fitter and sharper than we did in the Liverpool game.

Zoo

how exactly did we set up in midfield? Where did Fred play?
It was a 3-5-2 with Pereira again as a 6, Hererra more advanced tasked with trying to support the front 2 and Fred in between.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bailly?

Admittedly I saw only highlights from youtube but Bailly seemed to be a culprit in all of Real's chances. Always letting the attacker in front. So he made some glorious plays to balance the bad too in the actual game?

Also the highlights were very generous to United as I checked the match stats. 29% possession and 79% pass accuracy indicate some Rocky Balboa tactics on United's part. Works for one game but worrying for you if that's your game plan entirely. Long are gobe days United dominated in style.

Sanchez looked really sharp.

So how was the game honestly?
I wouldn't watch YouTube highlights and comment on players.
The match was fine honestly, a really strong first half with two goals and one goal for them.
Shut up shop against a technically stronger team and gave them no inch, unfortunately we lacked the energy for a counter or two but getting to that level of fitness is what pre seasons for.
I wouldn't say long gone are the days of United dominating in style because we had 79% passing accuracy in a friendly with a load of kids on the pitch.

Davs

Cheers for the thread, only just catching up on highlights now. Herrera's goal was lovely build up.

MrBest

I'm not bothered how we play in pre season. I remember gaal won all his and that season was a disaster. The only thing that bothers me is Jose has made it all into a thing. His message should of been clear from the start, it pre season, it's about fitness and team bonding, embedding youngsters into the team. I feel that all them points have not been met. He has critiqued a bunch of his team, overplayed a few (using only 3 subs in a friendly game is horrendous), who knows if the team have bonded, we have a player who has gone missing and so much negative press. I have never seen such a terrible pre season before. On the positive side, andreas and sanchez look good, fred could be what we needed for balance. All this bad press makes me uneasy for the season ahead. Pep klopp and co have just got on with things and they to are missing players.

Alabaster Codify7

I take nothing from pre-season but just the fact we actually won a game (I'm not counting the weird shootout win over Milan) is a decent boost for the lads. They've probably had their confidence knocked a bit over the past week or so, hopefully they can start the season raring to go.

Andersons Dietician

Quite impressed with the link up of Mata and Sanchez. Mata even beat someone in a sprint, but Sanchez looks like a man on a mission, this is only pre season but he looks like he has got that yard of pace back he seemed to be missing last season. Maybe he had a knock he was carrying but certainly seems to just be sharper in his movement.
Hopefully he is going to have a good season.

ZlatMan

I watched the highlights. Did I just saw Darmian make a driving run and a successful cross to set up a goal?:eek:
That is something I can tell to my grandkids.