Man Utd’s Chief Strategy Officer leaves

Matt851

This forum man :lol: :lol: :lol:

CAF: We need to be more like City/Liverpool with their structure!! Why aren’t these incompetent fools doing what we want!

*club undergoes major restructuring and the largest we’ve seen in decades. Streamlining everything and steps to improvement to be like afformentioned clubs”

CAF: This must mean the clubs for sale!:lol::lol::lol::lol:
I agree we aren't for sale but not sure lots of people walking necessarily points to an improvement. We don't yet know who will replace them or how the structure will change and we do have one of woodies cronies in charge

OverratedOpinion

Our strategy is buy big name players and then sell image rights to whoever will buy them. Can I have the job?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I agree we aren't for sale but not sure lots of people walking necessarily points to an improvement. We don't yet know who will replace them or how the structure will change and we do have one of woodies cronies in charge
The “Woodies Cronies” guy you say in charge is Richard Arnold who is doing the complete opposite of Woodward and making positive wholesale changes and leaving the football to football men and your STILL apprehensive. Despite all these backroom restructuring.

This club has no hope with it’s fans. Beggers belief.

Matst1

so we're just attacking and good riddance-ing people without even knowing what their job was? seems healthy

exactly
Associated with Woodwards reign and they were best mates, Woodward failed massively, so he has to go. How are you not seeing this?

Dante

Average bang
He seems like somebody who worked on the business side of things rather than anything football related.

Still, it's probably a good thing to have a cultural reboot root-and-branch.

TsuWave

Associated with Woodwards reign and they were best mates, Woodward failed massively, so he has to go. How are you not seeing this?
what does any of this have to do with what I said, their role or how they performed in said role?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
This forum man :lol: :lol: :lol:

CAF: We need to be more like City/Liverpool with their structure!! Why aren’t these incompetent fools doing what we want!

*club undergoes major restructuring and the largest we’ve seen in decades. Streamlining everything and steps to improvement to be like afformentioned clubs”

CAF: This must mean the clubs for sale!:lol::lol::lol::lol:
This guy had nothing to do with the football side of things. Liverpool’s approach to their corporate operation has been to “copy and paste Manchester United” so I don’t see how this has anything to do with us copying them at all.

Matst1

what does any of this have to do with what I said, their role or how they performed in said role?
Do you think the club has been run well in the past 10 years? Easy answer, no. Swing the axe

Becks00

The “Woodies Cronies” guy you say in charge is Richard Arnold who is doing the complete opposite of Woodward and making positive wholesale changes and leaving the football to football men and your STILL apprehensive. Despite all these backroom restructuring.

Why are you always so quick to defend the club management. I think it's normal for people to be sceptical about whatever steps they are taking now. No one really knows how capable this new management is nor do we know how effective they would be, only time will tell but lauding them for every move they make like you do is kind of premature I think.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
This guy had nothing to do with the football side of things. Liverpool’s approach to their corporate operation has been to “copy and paste Manchester United” so I don’t see how this has anything to do with us copying them at all.
I know that. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

I was referring to the previous post of someone claiming the changes are pointing towards a sale.

Then I posted what I posted.

You have completely misread my post.

phelans shorts

Why are you always so quick to defend the club management. I think it's normal for people to be sceptical about whatever steps they are taking now. No one really knows how capable this new management is nor do we know how effective they would be, only time will tell but lauding them for every move they make like you do is kind of premature I think.
Is it more premature than making out that nothing has changed and attacking people who are making changes that may be successful?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Good lord almighty.

All these changes are pointing towards a great change for the club, can't we be positive for once?

We've had years of shite and now these wholesale changes are being made and it looks like we're going in the right direction.

Why are we sceptical when we can see these changes literally occurring in front of us, lots of changes happening.

TsuWave

Do you think the club has been run well in the past 10 years? Easy answer, no. Swing the axe
is it poor reading comprehension or are you just obtuse by nature? do you even know what this guy role was and what he did?

Your 90s action hero line doesn't even fit here - no one swung an axe, he decided to leave

The Original

Never heard of a Chief Strategy Officer, and that sounds made up. His LinkedIn says he was head of corporate finance which sounds much liklier.

The Original

What was his job exactly?
His job exactly, From LinkedIn:

Head of Corporate FinanceHead of Corporate Finance
Manchester UnitedManchester UnitedMay 2012 - Present · 10 yrs 1 moMay 2012 - Present · 10 yrs 1 moLondon, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom

• I’m involved in a wide range of activities including capital structure planning, corporate development projects, strategy, corporate actions and investor relations activity (including as interim CFO for 2years).
      Key Achievements
      • Part of the team that successfully listed Manchester United on the NYSE.
      • Executed a number of refinancing transactions – incl. bank term loans; Private Notes and a Revolving Credit Facility reducing interest costs on c.$600m by 4.5%; and extending maturities out 10-12 years
      • Devised and implemented an innovative hedge accounting strategy to minimised P&L FX volatility.
      • Restructured the Group holding structure to improve the operational visibility, financial flexibility and tax efficiency of the Media and Retail businesses.
      • Member of the ECA/UEFA taskforce that successfully negotiated material improvements to UEFA’s commercial and media rights vis a vis Clubs for the 2018-21 cycle.

Becks00

Is it more premature than making out that nothing has changed and attacking people who are making changes that may be successful?
I am not one of those claiming nothing has changed. It's obvious changes are being made but making pronouncements about how good or bad they are should be tempered for now is all am saying especially with no clear view as to what role the guys leaving played during the past decade.

Matt851

Sure it's the fans who have stopped the club being successful all these years

Richard Arnold appears to be making some changes (although many of the people who have left recently having supposedly walked) but hard to know how positive they will be at this stage.

I very much hope they will work out but assuming any change will result in significant improvements isn't correct

Also Arnold was a friend of Woodwards who very likely ended up in his role because of his personal connection with him. So definitely counts as a crony even if he does turn out to do a good job

Member 101269

His job exactly, From LinkedIn:

Head of Corporate FinanceHead of Corporate Finance
Manchester UnitedManchester UnitedMay 2012 - Present · 10 yrs 1 moMay 2012 - Present · 10 yrs 1 moLondon, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom

• I’m involved in a wide range of activities including capital structure planning, corporate development projects, strategy, corporate actions and investor relations activity (including as interim CFO for 2years).
      Key Achievements
      • Part of the team that successfully listed Manchester United on the NYSE.
      • Executed a number of refinancing transactions – incl. bank term loans; Private Notes and a Revolving Credit Facility reducing interest costs on c.$600m by 4.5%; and extending maturities out 10-12 years
      • Devised and implemented an innovative hedge accounting strategy to minimised P&L FX volatility.
      • Restructured the Group holding structure to improve the operational visibility, financial flexibility and tax efficiency of the Media and Retail businesses.
      • Member of the ECA/UEFA taskforce that successfully negotiated material improvements to UEFA’s commercial and media rights vis a vis Clubs for the 2018-21 cycle.
Which begs the question; given he was allowed to innovate and take on responsibility why is he going? #financialforecasting?

DeGea’sFeet

https://theathletic.com/news/manche...ind-the-scenes-changes-continue/aLj20oxpQh4K/

Seems all of Woody’s cronies are leaving.
Don’t know much about this guy. But can the “finance / marketing “ people actually be blamed? They’ve kept us financially competitive and in the top 1-3 of top earning clubs from 2012 to 2020, might be falling off a bit in the past year or 2.

The failure has been on the football side. The Glazers are knuts, Woodward was silly because he didn’t stick to what he was great at which was bringing money into the club and instead wanted to also get involved in the football side and flopped.

But we’ve been one of the top spending clubs post SAF because of our financial & marketing departments. Without them our manager’s would would be working with the peanuts that SAF had been 2006-2012.

I’m not saying it’s bad or good that this man is leaving, but we need to remember that United must stay competitive financially in order for the right footballing people to succeed.

Matst1

is it poor reading comprehension or are you just obtuse by nature? do you even know what this guy role was and what he did?

Your 90s action hero line doesn't even fit here - no one swung an axe, he decided to leave
is it poor reading comprehension or are you just obtuse by nature? Neither.

do you even know what this guy role was and what he did? Yes. Head of corporate finance.

Your 90s action hero line doesn't even fit here. How about, hasta la vista, baby?

The Original

Which begs the question; given he was allowed to innovate and take on responsibility why is he going? #financialforecasting?
My guess is its all just a spillover from Woodward leaving and Arnold possibly bringing in his own people amd methods. Leave before you get pushed out type of situation

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Another player we are letting go on free transfer ffs.

Greck

This the guy who Rich said got too big for his boots? Grrr hate him already. Look at that smug picture, what's there to smile about?