Man Utd fans that want Arsenal to win the title… explain yourselves!

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Nope. We won the treble in the Nou Camp you plank hence the 99.

You'd know that if you weren't a plastic fan.
You just properly went for someone who was agreeing with you. This thread is mental.

Dan_F

Apparently City winning a treble and three in a row doesn’t count because they spent money that wasn’t their own.

Also our fans, desperate for Middle East money because we can’t afford to build a new ground and training facilities.

It’s bizarre that this is even up for discussion.

Siorac

That's what I find interesting here. People treat Arsenal as a rival to United, but what's the basis of that? That decade (not even?) that things were close in the 2000s? Has this rivalry ever existed before or after in both clubs' 100+ years of history?

While City is a true historical cross-town rival of United. It may often have been a low-key rivalry because of City's level in the league (or outside of it), but to me, this seems much more 'real' as a rivalry than 'we competed for titles and had heated matches for a couple of years 20 years ago'.
Looking at it rationally and logically, you are of course right. Football is an emotional thing though and those are tricky.

When I was growing up, during my 'formative football years', City were nowhere. I was aware the club existed but that's about it. They barely even inhabited the same universe as United and continued to remain relatively irrelevant even after getting promoted. And obviously I never met an actual living breathing City fan. Still haven't, as it happens.

At the same time, Arsenal were steadily building up to be our closest competitor and it all culminated in all those heated exchanges that are unforgettable for me. And that Arsenal team was unbearably arrogant, hyped to the fecking heaven, constantly praised for their 'sophisticated' football and whenever they lost it was because poor widdle Arsenal wasn't protected by the nasty dirty referees so they couldn't showcase their out-of-this-world, inimitable brand of art.

So yeah. Disliking Arsenal is a visceral thing because they were a huge influence on my teenage years. Disliking City is a duty as a United fan but I feel nothing for them. Emotionally, they are basically Chelsea, except they have Manchester in their name which is rather rude of them. Also, none of their good teams had really special, interesting pantomime villains, the kind you love to hate. Hating Kevin de Bruyne would just feel weird, unlike Martin Keown or Patrick Vieira.

Rojofiam

Born too late to experience the early 2000s rivalry between United and Arsenal. Add to that, I've always liked Wenger.

On the other hand, I probably hate City more than Liverpool at this point, even if I consider their achievements unrespectable.

Rojofiam

Apparently City winning a treble and three in a row doesn’t count because they spent money that wasn’t their own.

Also our fans, desperate for Middle East money because we can’t afford to build a new ground and training facilities.

It’s bizarre that this is even up for discussion.
I guess you can make an argument for this viewpoint...but some of those posters are also begging for Qatar to buy us...which completely destroys their argument against City's hollowness. Clowns.

zaafi

Looking at it rationally and logically, you are of course right. Football is an emotional thing though and those are tricky.

When I was growing up, during my 'formative football years', City were nowhere. I was aware the club existed but that's about it. They barely even inhabited the same universe as United and continued to remain relatively irrelevant even after getting promoted. And obviously I never met an actual living breathing City fan. Still haven't, as it happens.

At the same time, Arsenal were steadily building up to be our closest competitor and it all culminated in all those heated exchanges that are unforgettable for me. And that Arsenal team was unbearably arrogant, hyped to the fecking heaven, constantly praised for their 'sophisticated' football and whenever they lost it was because poor widdle Arsenal wasn't protected by the nasty dirty referees so they couldn't showcase their out-of-this-world, inimitable brand of art.

So yeah. Disliking Arsenal is a visceral thing because they were a huge influence on my teenage years. Disliking City is a duty as a United fan but I feel nothing for them. Emotionally, they are basically Chelsea, except they have Manchester in their name which is rather rude of them. Also, none of their good teams had really special, interesting pantomime villains, the kind you love to hate. Hating Kevin de Bruyne would just feel weird, unlike Martin Keown or Patrick Vieira.
This is pretty much how I feel about it. Had I been born in Manchester or known any City fans growing up, I'm sure it'd be different.

zaafi

If you don't know that the 99 CL final was in the camp nou. The most important night in the history of the club... Then let us doubt all your allegiances
I think you missed the point. It was a joke because he was talking about posters being Spurs fans and I thought it was ironic to have another club's stadium as their username, despite winning the treble there. Had it been Anfield, would he still have it in his name?

Also, the gloryhunter part doesn't make sense. If I hadn't known that, I'd probably be very young and there hasn't exactly been a lot recent success, has there?

Jev

It should be the other way around.

One team is our next door rivals and biggest competitor in modern times when we've managed to compete. They represent everything wrong with modern football with all their success down to oil money. All this talk about their titles not really counting is so fecking stupid. It's a loser's mentality. It's what a child would say. Fact of the matter is they're catching up on us fast.

The other was our main rivals twenty fecking years ago. Since then they've been irrelevant in terms of titles while playing attractive football with young players – i.e. the antidote to what City represent. They're doing the same thing this year, on a much smaller budget than City's. They are a real club with traditions and history who have done things the right way and deserve to be where they are.

For anyone who has even a modicum of romanticism left about football and what the game should be like, Arsenal are so obviously the most likeable winners, and I'm struggling to grasp why anyone would get behind Man fecking City.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The amount of people who seemingly interact with random Arsenal accounts on Twitter and let that colour their view of a title race is weird.

So many weirdos.

led_scholes

Any team (including Leeds) over city, Newcastle, Chelsea and Liverpool any day and year.

From the aforementioned clubs, only Liverpool is still a normal club. It's just happens to be our biggest rival.

TheReligion

Abusive
As many as it takes for people to stop pretending that top flight football didn't exist before 92, or that United are the only side to win 3 top flight titles in a row.
People have said PL specifically though so not sure of your point

LUC1f3R

I understand why most fans don't want City to win.
But just because of a few toxic Arsenal fans online and their Lego Pep coach (and his antics) make me want Arsenal to lose. Plus, the fact that I'm an overseas fan and hence do not feel City is a rival in the same league as Arsenal/ Liverpool. Plus the fact City became a huge club just recently with money pumped makes them plastic for me.

I understand for local rivalry among people in Manchester.

lsd

The Oracle
I don't want Arsenal fan to win because arsenal fans are annoying and if they can win it then there is no excuse for us not winning it

City winning means nothing as they just an oil club with plastic fans

Chipper

Adulterer.
Because I'm from Manchester and I've always hated City, even when they were shit.

"Arsenal fans are dicks" - there aren't any here.

"City are artificial" - Even more reason to hate them and want a proper club to beat them. I just hope those saying this will feel at least a little hollow if the Qatari's buy us and success follows.

They started following the club in the past 10-15 years. City as the main 'rival' is all they've known. Bless that lot.
No, it's been 40 years for me.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Wanting city to win instead of Liverpool is one thing, justified.

wanting them to find over arsenal? Why? City are our local rivals. arsenal are nothing to us. Stop wallowing in 90s jealousy lads

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I mostly just don’t like Arteta and Arsenal’s players are inherently more unlikable. Would still much rather Arsenal than City though

Gorse Hill Red

People who want City to win the title probably don’t see many City fans. City fans have been unbearable if you’re surrounded by them.
They are desperate for a third title in a row because it matches our run when we did it on the 2000s.
Also they are close to matching our treble. Something we will have to hear about for the rest of our lives should they complete it.

CloneMC16

City are bigger rivals to United than Arsenal. Arsenal haven't been our rival since the early 00's. City have won way too many titles. I can't stand to see them winning another one. They're going to bloody catch us if we're not careful. It's also good for the league to see a team that was never anywhere near a favourite to win it.

I'll be honest. I cheered Arsenal's goals as much as I cheer a United goal today.

AFC NimbleThumb

I want Manchester United to be good enough to stop both from winning it, a.k.a. be good enough to win it themselves.

I’m not going to get upset over ‘rival’ teams trophy cabinets, that said it’ll always be Feck Arsenal.

AFC NimbleThumb

I'm sure those of you cheering on City to win the league will enjoy cheering City to their treble in a few weeks.
When did the treble get announced Crossy? You sound like Kompany. Honestly you’re better than repeating this infantile nonsense.

Drifter

American
I want Man United to win the league. Could not care less about the other teams, unless you've got money riding on it.

Phil

Because the other option is Manchester City, actual local rivals