Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Supreme-

Massive concern if this is true, remember that 5 years contract for Rooney?

He surely can't act as the director of football if he has no clues about the sport

C'est Moi Cantona

I hate this tw*t . He led us into battlefield with a huge whole in our defense that was quite known.
See I don't quite get this, unless I'm forgetting our defence wasn't that bad last season, and we have the same players, you could even argue Bailly and Linelof should really be better this season also, now suddenly we just look so weak there.

Josep Dowling

No he hasn't. Mourinho is responsible for our team, and our team is a shower of shite. If anyone has fecked us it's Jose.
It’s not a case of one or the either. Both have a lot to answer to. Mourinho should be getting more out of this team. And there should be better transfer targets. Every strong rumour is a player that’s either stupidly expensive, well known or unobtainable.

I don’t care how much we have spent over the last 5 years. This club can afford to. We have over £200m in the bank right now. Until we are back at the top we should be buying players that improve the squad that clearly isn’t good enough. Half of Van Gaal signings are still in this squad, the two that Moyes signed are still in this squad. Those two managers have been an absolute disaster in their recruitment, and it’s a costly exercise to correct their mistakes.

ash_86

See I don't quite get this, unless I'm forgetting our defence wasn't that bad last season, and we have the same players, you could even argue Bailly and Linelof should really be better this season also, now suddenly we just look so weak there.
Thats down to DDG. Even last season we were letting in the most number of shots out of top 6. Who knows luck runs out eventually.

ash_86

Why not? Did Real Madrid depend on Ronaldo every season?
Our defense has been shit last season too. We conceded most shots out of top 6. Finally our luck has run out and our defenders class has been exposed.

C'est Moi Cantona

Thats down to DDG. Even last season we were letting in the most number of shots out of top 6. Who knows luck runs out eventually.
Not sure, personally I thought this window we needed a FB, but a CB was well down the list given our need elsewhere, yet now we look totally exposed there.

fezzerUTD

This is the reality. We have entrusted Ed Woodward to make personnel decisions for this team. He has hired the coaches and signs off on the player bids and signings. This is his product on the field. We can blame Mourinho, we can blame the players, at the end of the day, I blame Woodward. Do we need a new coach? HELL YES. Do we need some better players? HELL YES. But if any heads roll, I hope the first is Woodward. It's obvious the players have no interest in playing to their best ability under Mourinho, so he too must go. I imagine this season will go much like the Chelsea season went in 2015 when they finished tenth, between two EPL Championships. I look at all of the signings since SAF left and find only five of value. Zlatan, Pogba, Di Maria, Sanchez, and Matic. Every other signing, including players like Mata, Lukaku, Martial, and Fellaini, are simply not MUFC quality. Sure they have their moments, but not at the frequency expected of the MUFC squad. Same goes for United youth players like Lingard and Rashford. While I admit, on a good team they might be lethal, neither has shown the ability to carry the club when others are not. I don’t need to spend my Saturdays or Sundays watching boring football, and I certainly don’t want the ulcer that accompanies watching our biggest rival win 6-1 as we lose to a 16th place team immediately following. With the fiscal resources and capital this club holds in pocket, there is no reason why they should not be at the level of a Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, or Bayern. But they are not. They penny pinch and reach on marginal players and I don’t think I am interested in this club anymore. They are not the same team I knew when I came to love them. It’s like Coors. If one day they decided that instead of using Rocky Mountain Spring water, they’d use Mexican pond water, I’d probably stop drinking Coors. Yes I realize that is a stretch here, but the point is made. Everything wrong with MUFC currently can be traced directly to Jose or Ed. If the players say they like Jose and there is no rift, then the players are of poor quality, and that falls on Ed (and Jose). If the players are purposely tanking games like they did at Chelsea in 2016, then that’s on Jose. If the team cannot score goals, that falls on the engineer of their offensive attack. Which is Jose. I can go on and on.
Totally agree with this post, Woodward and the glazers though for me need to go.

ti vu

Our CBs have been out to prove a point to Ed and unfortunately we ended up as loser in this mess.

ash_86

Not sure, personally I thought this window we needed a FB, but a CB was well down the list given our need elsewhere, yet now we look totally exposed there.
I thought we need FB the most too and was puzzled why the club was looking to find a CB till the last day of transfer window. Now i understand why.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
Five years of failure and we're still crap. Ta ra Ed, you fecking cockwomble.
10/10

Can we start a bring back David Gill campaign? Maybe some match day fans can have "You're not David Gill, Ta-ra Ed" signs.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The only problem I have with Ed is that he hired José and gave him a premature contract extension.

Moyes I won't blame him for - that's on Fergie. LvG was the right call. Should've fired him sooner, but we got an FA Cup out of it so okay. After LvG, though, we should've gone for a coach who prefers possession football to build on what van Gaal had implemented instead of the exact opposite in Mourinho forcing another complete rebuild. We'll need another one after José, too, because no one plays his outdated football.

It was obvious many years prior to joining us that José wasn't a fit for Man United whereas with Ed I haven't seen him do too much wrong. Hopefully he'll learn from this José debacle.

Kapardin

All well and good to veto Willian, and keep Martial, but why didn't he buy Toby? CBs can play well into their 30s and we need experience at the back. If Woodward thinks the average age of a CB should be 24, he's more clueless than we think.

haram

All well and good to veto Willian, and keep Martial, but why didn't he buy Toby? CBs can play well into their 30s and we need experience at the back. If Woodward thinks the average age of a CB should be 24, he's more clueless than we think.
Because he is no better than what we have. Football genius Ed Woodward.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
He is a financial genius and has done great work there. Should definitely stay.

But he has to be honest with himself. We need more football experience in running the football side. I would love the Bayern model of former players. A Robson, Scholes and Rio as part of the board with a proper DOF may work. As long as it's part of a long term strategy.

In the short term.. needs to fire the current manager asap to save this season.

haram

He is a financial genius and has done great work there. Should definitely stay.

But he has to be honest with himself. We need more football experience in running the football side. I would love the Bayern model of former players. A Robson, Scholes and Rio as part of the board with a proper DOF may work. As long as it's part of a long term strategy.

In the short term.. needs to fire the current manager asap to save this season.
The season is done already.

Yagami

Good post resistant
If your pal Mourinho continues on then it is.

A competent manager could now get us in top four, maybe a run in the champions league and win a cup.
Sadly, we as a club wait until the worst possible scenario before taking action. If we did what we should've done before the season started and got a new man in, we could hopefully salvage the season.

haram

If your pal Mourinho continues on then it is.

A competent manager could now get us in top four, maybe a run in the champions league and win a cup.
Stop referring to him as my "pal". He is our manager. Continue to back this moron Woodward then, whatever.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Stop referring to him as my "pal". He is our manager. Continue to back this moron Woodward then, whatever.
This is just hypocrisy at its finest.

Woodward is part of our club yet you call him a moron.

You see it with some players too that the Mourinho apologists slander in order to back him.

It seems unity and backing is only extended to some within the club.

R'hllor

If Woodward is a moron then dunno how they call those under his level.

tonnas

Woodward is not the only provlem, the board and Jose are as well. We need to set up a footballing board and fire jose. With the talent he has we are still playing shite football

Hamadovich86

Woodward is not the issue imo, blocking transfers in/out is something the club should definitely do. In principle, thats how it works at all top clubs but it shouldnt be Woodward taking those decisions, it should be a DoF that understands the game and the club.

haram

Woodward is not the issue imo, blocking transfers in/out is something the club should definitely do. In principle, thats how it works at all top clubs but it shouldnt be Woodward taking those decisions, it should be a DoF that understands the game and the club.
So then he is an issue.

Hamadovich86

What makes you think he would even hire a good one?
Hes clearly competent on the financial side of things which is critical for an CEO. He needs to realize that hes out of his depth on the football side, if he does that then there is a lot of incentive for him to hire the very best person for the job.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Hes clearly competent on the financial side of things which is critical for an CEO. He needs to realize that hes out of his depth on the football side, if he does that then there is a lot of incentive for him to hire the very best person for the job.
I think that's a decision that needs to be taken by someone above him.

Thing about suits like Woody, they're hardly the first to admit their shortcomings/feel they're out of their depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.