Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OohAahMartial

Hiring people with experience reduces the risk of failure, and that is why they cost more. Just because sometimes experienced people fail or inexperienced people succeed, doesn't change that.

Even in your example of Overmars, we're talking about a guy with decades of experience in professional football in numerous countries and at international level, along with experience of working at Ajax before.
The fact that Overmars has experience as a player and at Ajax was precisely my point, as does Phelan, Rio, et al.

OohAahMartial

For the case of Bayern, compare Rummenigge and Hoeness to Woodward. Consider that they can be afforded the luxury of appointing a relatively inexperienced individual at Sporting Director because of the wealth of experience in the organization both below that individual and, just as importantly, above that individual.

For the case of Ajax, again consider how long they've been operating with the organizational structure they currently have. The job of a DoF is not a new concept to them, and they have enough stability in place around the individual to be able to account for the lack of experience.

Now consider the role here. This position has never formally existed before. This person would be working with a relatively new coaching staff, a Frankenstein's monster group of players assembled by 4 managers previous to our existing one, and he'd have Matt Judge and Ed Woodward (2 former consultants and investment bankers by trade) as his superiors. Add in the ridiculous expectations of the job and two surging competitors in City and now Liverpool that we're expected to compete with. There is no nurturing bosom here to ease someone with no experience. Realistically, unless this person is hired to be a paper tiger, this person is going to be tasked with building up a structure from the ground up. That's why people want experience. For a position that's this challenging, with the lack of organizational structure currently in place, having experience with the job is sort of helpful. If that person wants to hire someone like Rio or Scholes or Phelan to work under them because of their institutional knowledge, that would make much more sense.
These are good points. Setting up the structure and role for the first time is a challenge. Probably why Phelan is in the picture as he is actually a DoF already. I know a lot of people wanted Mitchell, but perhaps Mitchell doesn't want us?

FredisRed

In my opinion Van der Sar would be an incredible appointment because he knows from his present club how youth and talent are nurtured. We don't need mercenaries but players who will sweat for the badge.
As a bonus he could bring the promising de Light to Utd.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Hmmm, Rio could be interesting. Either him or Fletch would be ok for me. Rio is probably a bit more connected though - I’m guessing.

Eddy_JukeZ

I'd prefer Rio over Phelan, but I'd rather we get someone not connected with United previously.

Skills

Snitch
I don't believe any of these rumours now. It's getting more ridiculous by the day.

It's obvious the media has 0 clue on who it's going to be.

Werder Herzog

I actually think this could work even if he's just a face to the negotiations due to his standing in the modern game. It's all the other stuff like networks built up over time that he lacks - there will be a lot of intricacies to the role that would be lacking but we are starting this from scratch as it is.

I honestly do not think anyone knows what the role actually is.

If someone comes in and is reporting to Woodward and he is having final say and giving his opinion on players then its all in vain anyway.

Mainoldo

For the case of Bayern, compare Rummenigge and Hoeness to Woodward. Consider that they can be afforded the luxury of appointing a relatively inexperienced individual at Sporting Director because of the wealth of experience in the organization both below that individual and, just as importantly, above that individual.

For the case of Ajax, again consider how long they've been operating with the organizational structure they currently have. The job of a DoF is not a new concept to them, and they have enough stability in place around the individual to be able to account for the lack of experience.

Now consider the role here. This position has never formally existed before. This person would be working with a relatively new coaching staff, a Frankenstein's monster group of players assembled by 4 managers previous to our existing one, and he'd have Matt Judge and Ed Woodward (2 former consultants and investment bankers by trade) as his superiors. Add in the ridiculous expectations of the job and two surging competitors in City and now Liverpool that we're expected to compete with. There is no nurturing bosom here to ease someone with no experience. Realistically, unless this person is hired to be a paper tiger, this person is going to be tasked with building up a structure from the ground up. That's why people want experience. For a position that's this challenging, with the lack of organizational structure currently in place, having experience with the job is sort of helpful. If that person wants to hire someone like Rio or Scholes or Phelan to work under them because of their institutional knowledge, that would make much more sense.
So when Ryan Giggs, Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard became first team managers who was the experience to guide them how to manage?

It clearly states Rio has ran business before and has a team of people whilst he was in football who have been nurturing him into a mogul. He already speaks to youth players within the game around preparing for a football career and as seen in the World Cup competitions he’s connection in football from Spain to Italy is good.

What is the actually problem here?

El Zoido

Any DOF is still going to answer to Woodward, he can’t help but interfere. DOF is going to end up quitting in frustration after his unknown talent is overruled by Ed’s fixation on superstar brand-pushers.

Mainoldo

why did Sarri? why did Pep? Why did Ole? (leave their countries)

Just because a playing career is over, you're not automatically tied to a country?
Is VDS a manager? He didn’t pick that career for that possible reason. It’s not hard think about it. He’s already spent 30 years of his life moving countries for football. He’s retired and found a job that allows him to be around his family, you think his wife is interested in going back to live in Manchester at this time in her life. Get real man.

dokmaaa

Supports
GNK Dinamo Zagreb
Please sell:
Jones: 35M
Rojo: 25M
I'm constantly seeing this prices for Jones, Rojo and our others defenders here. Who the f*** would give 35M for Jones and 25M for Rojo?! Rojo has 14 epl (mostly bad) games in last two seasons, that means that even epl clubs won't give more than few millions, Jones similar story... If we are actually going to sell this two first we need to beg someone to take them, second the profit wont be more than 20M combined for both.

But we need a proper DOF with good football knowledge and even better connections in all 5 big leagues to even consider this kind of deals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Is VDS a manager? He didn’t pick that career for that possible reason. It’s not hard think about it. He’s already spent 30 years of his life moving countries for football. He’s retired and found a job that allows him to be around his family, you think his wife is interested in going back to live in Manchester at this time in her life. Get real man.
Ok, sure you know best.... I'll try and get real man.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
So what do people think about the Rio rumour? Obviously he's become United through and through but when Cantona's name came up months ago lots of people said he had no experience...

Matt007a

Rio isn't experienced in the DoF sense, but he is quite an experienced businessman isn't he? He obviously knows football as well. Seems like those are the main aspects of the job.

He's be a better option that the likes of Evra or Cantona, who frankly are nuts!

So what do people think about the Rio rumour? Obviously he's become United through and through but when Cantona's name came up months ago lots of people said he had no experience...
Neither have experience, but at least Rio is in and around football, he knows what’s going on.

Cantona has shown no interest, except fleetingly in football for 20+ years!

The problem is we don’t know what the actual job spec is for this role, it’s not something that’s well defined in football and can vary dramatically from club to club (for those who have it).

One of the challenges is that there are not many experienced people in this role to choose from.

The other is you don’t really want an ex-Manager, as they have invariably failed as a manager. Keane, Neville, Scholes etc. So perhaps you are left with ex-players who haven’t been managers as your candidate pool. From that group, Rio could be a reasonable choice - problem is I do t see him doing it for the long term, and surely that’s one of the key things you want, longevity to oversee the progression from manager to manager, minimising the disruption with an overarching strategy.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Rio, if you're reading, please compile the following transfers:

Sancho: 70M
De Ligt: 70M
Saul: 70M
Wan-Bissaka: 25M
Alderweireld: 25M
Rabiot: 0M

Please sell:
Valencia: 0M (end of contract)

Net expenditure: 200M (which is our transfer budget or thereabouts).
Has anyone ever laughed with you? Or is it always at you?

redtony

Seriously, all the searching for a DOF/Technical Director and they show up with Rio??

Thats insane!

Litch

Love Rio if true. If Ajax can give VDS the opportunity, why can't Utd give Rio the chance? People argument about 'experience' holds no water when we are prepared to give an ex player from the Norwegian league the chance to manage the club.

OoopsMisclick

Best they could come up with is Rio?
Not enough experience for this kind of position.

Furthermore, this is basically a new position at UTD, you need someone with experience who knows what works in different environments.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Best they could come up with is Rio?
Not enough experience for this kind of position.

Furthermore, this is basically a new position at UTD, you need someone with experience who knows what works in different environments.
Newspaper chit chat at best! He has no experience in coaching,scouting or business administration

In Rainbows

Rio?

De Ligt in an interview
De Ligt's English was, he says, pretty bad before he joined the first team. But by speaking it and particularly by reading English books, it's made substantial improvements. "I prefer those to Dutch books because they contain far more beautiful expressions and phrases." He particularly enjoys football autobiographies and has read several. "From Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic and John Terry to Bobby Moore. When I read them, I just feel football. When they talk about "Reading the game" or a "towering defender". Doesn't that sound far better in English? Stunning!
Do it for us Rio.

Mainoldo

But Cantona and Rio are not the same. Give a better example.

dove

Woodward's search for DoF and the managers is like Moyes'es search for new players. So uninspiring. I like Rio though, he is certainly better than the earlier rumours of Evra, Phelan or Scholes (:lol:). I think Rio wouldn't agree to just be a puppet and he wouldn't be afraid to express his opinion to the board. He is one of the few players that understands modern footballers very well (unlike some others who are absolutely out of touch constantly crying about stupid stuff like players wearing the headphones or too bright shoes) and seems like a genuinely intelligent person. Wouldn't be the worst appointment in the world.

Delano

The no brainer is Mitchell at Leipzig.

A guy from Manchester who is operating in a similar role and has connections in the game already. Not to mention he's got as a proven track record at buying talented players.

I'm sure that looks too good on paper for Ed though. He won't be able to wine and dine Perez and spend all summer not signing Varane...

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Rio, if you're reading, please compile the following transfers:

Sancho: 70M
De Ligt: 70M
Saul: 70M
Wan-Bissaka: 25M
Alderweireld: 25M
Rabiot: 0M

Please sell:
Valencia: 0M (end of contract)

Net expenditure: 200M (which is our transfer budget or thereabouts).
In fact, lets start a petition to get you the job :drool::drool:
Selling Rojo for the same price as AWB! Deal of the season!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The no brainer is Mitchell at Leipzig.

A guy from Manchester who is operating in a similar role and has connections in the game already. Not to mention he's got as a proven track record at buying talented players.

I'm sure that looks too good on paper for Ed though. He won't be able to wine and dine Perez and spend all summer not signing Varane...
Alli, Trippier and Toby at Spurs.

It would be a promotion for him. I'd like to think we'd offer him a good inducement to leave Leipzig;he's very happy there

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
has Jordi Cruijff been mentioned at all in this thread?

I know he's the favourite for many Ajax fans to take over if Overmars were to leave and I just realised he obviously has a United background

edit: he has

Status
Not open for further replies.