Man Utd Stadium Tour - when is it best to go?

M Utd

So my son has finally shown a real interest in football and we have tickets to go on the Utd Stadium Tour. Is there anything I should avoid or have to do to make the most of it for him? Also is there a "better" time to visit than others? My first thoughts were around May time.

Any help would be much appreciated.

edcunited1878

So my son has finally shown a real interest in football and we have tickets to go on the Utd Stadium Tour. Is there anything I should avoid or have to do to make the most of it for him? Also is there a "better" time to visit than others? My first thoughts were around May time.

Make sure you have access to the tour and museum, feel free to skip the Cafe if you want. You'll both appreciate the museum. Walking along Warick Road/Sir Matt Busby Way (I think that's correct) from Lancanshire Cricket Club was actually a mistake because I didn't know what stop to get off. But then you walk north towards OT and you get a growing sense of 'home' or just something special.

Went during non-match days in the summer, so it's quiet and you're not around too many other people compared to a match day. Take your time walking around outside the grounds and museum; Holy Trinity, Munich Clock, Fergie statue, Sir Matt statue, etc. I'm sure the tour inside the stadium has changed a little since I visited.

M Utd

Make sure you have access to the tour and museum, feel free to skip the Cafe if you want. You'll both appreciate the museum. Walking along Warick Road/Sir Matt Busby Way (I think that's correct) from Lancanshire Cricket Club was actually a mistake because I didn't know what stop to get off. But then you walk north towards OT and you get a growing sense of 'home' or just something special.

Went during non-match days in the summer, so it's quiet and you're not around too many other people compared to a match day. Take your time walking around outside the grounds and museum; Holy Trinity, Munich Clock, Fergie statue, Sir Matt statue, etc. I'm sure the tour inside the stadium has changed a little since I visited.
Great tips thanks.

Motorman

When its open..

On a serious note, no any time is good. Have lunch at the RedCafe. Pretty decent food tbh.

Deleted member 101472

Does anyone know if they still have the part of the tour where you can commentate on classic Utd Goals?

DublinRed24

I've been a few times over the years and would agree that the summer is a good time to go as it isn't too busy and you can potter about at your own pace. I've been the day before match day as well and it's busier but not hugely so.

decorativeed

I've been a few times over the years and would agree that the summer is a good time to go as it isn't too busy and you can potter about at your own pace. I've been the day before match day as well and it's busier but not hugely so.
That depends on the day of the match more than anything. If it's a weekend match, the days before and after are often incredibly busy, which makes the museum too full of people to enjoy properly and the tours are every 10 minutes, so it's a bit like a conveyor belt.

to the OP, I'd definitely recommend not going the days before or after a match, and remember it's busy in school holidays, closed on match days and when the season ends, it is often not running due to private sponsors events inside the stadium. Check before you travel!

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
During the close season in the summer just after the new kit has been launched ;)

M Utd

Thanks.

M Utd

That depends on the day of the match more than anything. If it's a weekend match, the days before and after are often incredibly busy, which makes the museum too full of people to enjoy properly and the tours are every 10 minutes, so it's a bit like a conveyor belt.

to the OP, I'd definitely recommend not going the days before or after a match, and remember it's busy in school holidays, closed on match days and when the season ends, it is often not running due to private sponsors events inside the stadium. Check before you travel!
Thanks.

vidic blood & sand

Stadium tour is great, and the museum is really good except for the layout. It's like a bloody maze in there. Make sure you see visit every level of the museum.
Like someone said, there's something special about taking the tram to the cricket ground and walking up Matt Busby way.
The summer is the best time to go just before the season kicks off. Really gets you in the mood.

M Utd

Stadium tour is great, and the museum is really good except for the layout. It's like a bloody maze in there. Make sure you see visit every level of the museum.
Like someone said, there's something special about taking the tram to the cricket ground and walking up Matt Busby way.
The summer is the best time to go just before the season kicks off. Really gets you in the mood.
Thanks. Some good tips there!

arthurka

I've been a few times and to be fair never had any problems due to it being over crowded. Just go when you and your son have enough time to spend there.. Go and see everything have a bite to eat and just suck it all in.. Its really nice to be fair.

HandofZeus

Supports
Liverpool
If you're heading there over the Summer holidays a quick tip incase of busy Metros would be to jump off at Exchange Quay. Walk opposite side of Puregym down Trafford Road then a long Viccys way over Bridgewater onto Sir Matt Bubsys Way. Around a 10 minute walk but metros can be packed, especially during the day.

M Utd

I've been a few times and to be fair never had any problems due to it being over crowded. Just go when you and your son have enough time to spend there.. Go and see everything have a bite to eat and just suck it all in.. Its really nice to be fair.
Thanks.

M Utd

If you're heading there over the Summer holidays a quick tip incase of busy Metros would be to jump off at Exchange Quay. Walk opposite side of Puregym down Trafford Road then a long Viccys way over Bridgewater onto Sir Matt Bubsys Way. Around a 10 minute walk but metros can be packed, especially during the day.
Thanks.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Overcrowding isn't an issue because the club have a fixed number of slots and they follow that we'll because of security issues. I did it two years back in the summer and it was amazing. My favourite part was the part where they play the 99 final commentary and video .

gabbom24

Can I buy multiple Stadium tour tickets with one membership? We are group of 4 travelling to OT in March.

United Hobbit

Can definitely recommend both the tour and museum, unless its changed you're with a tour guide the whole time and its fascinating, the one running the one I went on was really enthusiastic and really interesting to listen to you could feel his passion for United. You get to sit in the dug outs and have photos etc. You can get a little guidebook as well which will be interesting for you to read afterwards as it has lots of extra detail in.
I recently recommended the tour and museum to a friend who was booking it as part of her husband's xmas present and they took their children, you don't mention how old your son is I think from what they posted on Facebook after the kids didn't really pay much attention during the museum but her husband loved it but they had younger kids so yours may be older and more interested, he may be anyway so its worth going, not having children myself I'm not sure what way round I'd do it eg tour then museum or museum then tour. I think they have an exhibition dedicated to our treble winning season on at the moment which I bet is really interesting to see.
One thing to note is they don't do the tours on match days (I think the whole day but correct me if I'm wrong)
I also don't seem to remember the tour including features such as the statues and it must have done but I'm not entirely sure it featured the Munich clock but it surely would? So its definitely worth walking round the ground before hand and showing him these things/ getting some photos etc he will probably enjoy listening to you telling him about them :)

lex talionis

I definitely recommend taking the tour. I was there last in March a season or two ago during an international break and walking through the stadium was pure magic.

Ask for a tour guide by the name of Alan Lester (not sure about the spelling of his last name). He's up there, surely in his 90s now, but sharp as a tack and fit (then) as a fiddle. He'll tell you, and I believed him 100%, that he's been to every single United match at OT since 1948. And he'll tell you who the greatest footballer -- not just United, but among all clubs, he ever saw in all his years and that includes Pele and Maradona: Duncan Edwards.

Go pay homage.

decorativeed

The metrolink is usually only packed until about half 9 in the morning and between 4 and 6:30 in the evening. Any time outside of that is usually fine. I'd advise travelling to Old Trafford tram stop, which is a little bit closer and a more direct walk for someone who doesn't know the area too well.

decorativeed

Overcrowding isn't an issue because the club have a fixed number of slots and they follow that we'll because of security issues. I did it two years back in the summer and it was amazing. My favourite part was the part where they play the 99 final commentary and video .
The number of slots changes based on demand. On a busy day they will take up to 50 people on each tour, leaving every 10 mins. So yeah, it does get busy!

Sergio Biscuits

Tour is great! I can't wait to take my children one day. I think you see and stop for a seat in each of the stands (including the executive seats), walk the tunnel, see the changing rooms, the (old/ex?) press conference room, the dugout and other places. Definitely worth it to do it at least once as a fan. Not rushed at all and the staff were enthusiastic and full of story and banter.

M Utd

Can definitely recommend both the tour and museum, unless its changed you're with a tour guide the whole time and its fascinating, the one running the one I went on was really enthusiastic and really interesting to listen to you could feel his passion for United. You get to sit in the dug outs and have photos etc. You can get a little guidebook as well which will be interesting for you to read afterwards as it has lots of extra detail in.
I recently recommended the tour and museum to a friend who was booking it as part of her husband's xmas present and they took their children, you don't mention how old your son is I think from what they posted on Facebook after the kids didn't really pay much attention during the museum but her husband loved it but they had younger kids so yours may be older and more interested, he may be anyway so its worth going, not having children myself I'm not sure what way round I'd do it eg tour then museum or museum then tour. I think they have an exhibition dedicated to our treble winning season on at the moment which I bet is really interesting to see.
One thing to note is they don't do the tours on match days (I think the whole day but correct me if I'm wrong)
I also don't seem to remember the tour including features such as the statues and it must have done but I'm not entirely sure it featured the Munich clock but it surely would? So its definitely worth walking round the ground before hand and showing him these things/ getting some photos etc he will probably enjoy listening to you telling him about them :)
Thanks for all the info.

M Utd

I definitely recommend taking the tour. I was there last in March a season or two ago during an international break and walking through the stadium was pure magic.

Ask for a tour guide by the name of Alan Lester (not sure about the spelling of his last name). He's up there, surely in his 90s now, but sharp as a tack and fit (then) as a fiddle. He'll tell you, and I believed him 100%, that he's been to every single United match at OT since 1948. And he'll tell you who the greatest footballer -- not just United, but among all clubs, he ever saw in all his years and that includes Pele and Maradona: Duncan Edwards.

Go pay homage.
Cheers bud.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I’ve been to matches but never did the tour until I went with my dad when I was 12 absolutely loved it.

I was a rather naughty boy though when we went pitchside I sneakily ripped quite a substantial amount of grass up, I’ve still got it framed 16 years later. It actually stated green quite a long time but now it looks more like hay.

As a child though it’s exciting getting so close to everything, the locker rooms, the tunnel, dugouts etc. I’m sure they’ll love it. It’s a great way to spend the day as a family.