Man Utd vs Stoke (Academy)

Virtuoso

Manchester United 2-2 Stoke (FT)

We were twice behind but twice equalised thanks to Federico Macheda. They took the late in the 1st half, but we equalised early in the 2nd after a brilliant piece of contol and finish by Macheda - in one movement he rounded the keeper with his right foot and then finished with his left despite being pulled by the defender...great skill and strength. More slack defending gave them a 2nd straight after the restart, literally a minute after having made it 1-1 we were 1-2 down. With 20 or so minutes left, Macheda again took it past a defender, first shot blocked and then put the 2nd attempt past the keeper brilliantly.

We ended up with the 1 point, but our defending was quite worrying at times. Stoke are bottom of the league and they had us stretched throughout though the strong wind was a bit of a leveller. Macheda was superb and saved the day for us; great movement, control and finishing as well as proving to be a presence up front.

julesee

Manchester United 2-2 Stoke (FT)

We were twice behind but twice equalised thanks to Federico Macheda. They took the late in the 1st half, but we equalised early in the 2nd after a brilliant piece of contol and finish by Macheda - in one movement he rounded the keeper with his right foot and then finished with his left despite being pulled by the defender...great skill and strength. More slack defending gave them a 2nd straight after the restart, literally a minute after having made it 1-1 we were 1-2 down. With 20 or so minutes left, Macheda again took it past a defender, first shot blocked and then put the 2nd attempt past the keeper brilliantly.

We ended up with the 1 point, but our defending was quite worrying at times. Stoke are bottom of the league and they had us stretched throughout though the strong wind was a bit of a leveller. Macheda was superb and saved the day for us; great movement, control and finishing as well as proving to be a presence up front.
At this early stage, Macheda looks class....looks like a young eric cantona

Virtuoso

Yeah I can see what you mean mate, though I'd say Cantona was more of a supporting forward who would play behind the main striker whereas Macheda will play up top and is more of a poacher. Berbatov is probably the comparison I would use, though of course...Macheda's got a long way to go and will hopefully carry on developing into a top striker. No doubt that we have someone very special on our hands here, have to remember also that the lad is a year or two younger (even though he doesn't look it) than the rest at 16!

Wootton was also quite impressive, most of the Stoke attacks came down the right hand side as did both goals where Moffatt and Strickland were struggling (Moffatt subbed at half time).

Don't know what's got into Brandao though, he's been a bit of disappointment considering how high some of the expectations were.

redender

Wannabe Manc
I've seen Macheda a few times this season at Carrington, he's really highly rated by United.

They think he can go all the way, if my memory serves me right Jim Ryan & Choccy have already included him in a few Reserves squads. Glowing tribute for a 16 yo in his first season in a foreign country.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I've seen Macheda a few times this season at Carrington, he's really highly rated by United.

They think he can go all the way, if my memory serves me right Jim Ryan & Choccy have already included him in a few Reserves squads. Glowing tribute for a 16 yo in his first season in a foreign country.
Came off the bench against Liverpool reserves last week. Held his own too.

greater wall

United seem to be doing well getting young Italian forwards. Rossi and this guy now. Hopefully he will keep progressing.

What is with all the valentine adverts around the site, either it is late or very early.

Virtuoso

That's great to hear mate, I'm hoping that Cico will carry on the way he is and hopefully make a few strides towards the first team in the future. Losing Rossi was a big disappointment but I've got some high expectations for Macheda.

How tall is he?
I think he's 6ft or 6ft 1, very tall for a 16 year old. I'm guessing he could grow a bit taller and will hopefully develop physically so that he can tough it out in the Prem as well.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
That's great to hear mate, I'm hoping that Cico will carry on the way he is and hopefully make a few strides towards the first team in the future. Losing Rossi was a big disappointment but I've got some high expectations for Macheda.

I think he's 6ft or 6ft 1, very tall for a 16 year old. I'm guessing he could grow a bit taller and will hopefully develop physically so that he can tough it out in the Prem as well.
How cool would that be if we had a Vieri who actually gave a shit?

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Great news about Macheda. Did he play up front on his own?

Virtuoso

any team news of this match?
Off the top of my head:

Amos

Moffatt Strickland Wootton Dudgeon

Bryan James C.Evans Galbraith

Eikrem

Macheda

- Moffatt subbed for Stewart at half time
- Eikrem subbed for Brandao in the 2nd half
- James subbed for Norwood in the 2nd half

Looks like Robert Brady will remain in the U16's for the rest of the season, would be nice to see him back in the U18's sooner though...looks a talented player. Reminds me a bit of Aiden McGeady.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
The good folks at www.manutd.com finally got their heads out of their asses to write two lines about it:

United were given a stern test by Stoke City for the second time this season as the Potteries side belied their bottom of the table position.

The visitors were twice in front at Carrington, initially going ahead from the penalty spot eight minutes before the interval.

Paul McGuinness' half-time team-talk provoked an almost immediate response as his United side equalised just two minutes into the second period through Federico Macheda. However, Stoke then regained the lead with their next attack.

The fourth and final strike, Macheda's second, levelled the scores again just after the hour mark. Earlier in the season, the Reds triumphed by the odd goal at Stoke, winning 2-1.

United: Amos; Moffat (Stewart 46), Strickland, Wootton, Dudgeon; Eikrem (Brandao 83), James (Norwood 74), C.Evans; Bryan, Macheda, Galbraith.