Manager Draft Semi Final - Balu Guttman VS The Capillows(EAP)

Who would win based on their peak under the chosen manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Bozsik would never fit in right of a diamond.

If we are going for this kind of thing, I would suggest a reverse Brazilian...

.. Czibor .. Puskas .. Koscis .. Joya ..
......... Coluna .... Eusebio ..............
........ Goncalves ... Boszik .............
........ Matosas ... Maldini ...............
................. Grosics ......................

Lolz
It's a 2-4-4 diamond, Edgar! Completely different dynamics to other known diamonds!

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Aye - sure. I just thought it looked more sexy. Plus, it highlights the false CF role - which is, after all, a characteristic of the Magyar model (and that was the one I had in mind here, more than anything).
Fair enough. But I'd say Eusebio is a very different player compared to Hidegkuti. Both Puskas and Kocsis would be more suited to play that false CF role than Eusebio in my opinion.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Fair enough. But I'd say Eusebio is a very different player compared to Hidegkuti. Both Puskas and Kocsis would be more suited to play that false CF role than Eusebio in my opinion.
That's a different matter - switch Eusebio with Kocsis if you like. If we're going with the Magyar theme, though, I'd like to keep Kocsis alongside Puskas - which means you need someone (other than either P or K) to play that Hidegkuti role. So, you play Eusebio there - or bench him (but you don't want that) for...Zizinho, I suppose, who might do well in that role too.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Actually...I would prefer going full Magyar here with the front...five. Well, provided that we buy Joya as a right winger - and, yeah, we do. So, Eusebio as the false CF and presto:

It's a 2-4-4 diamond!
Someone did that before, I vividly remember calling it the inverted diamond, with the wingers making sure we don't question whether the fullbacks can provide width. :lol:

Actually, maybe it was me?

Edit: Just realised a midfield general nicknamed Tito is a great fit for the Iron Curtain theme :lol:

antohan

I had Puskas down as the one doing it, with Eusebio and Kocsis as strikers.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I had Puskas down as the one doing it, with Eusebio and Kocsis as strikers.
I'd say it's an even more interesting combination with those three than it was at Hungary. Eusebio's physicality and running at defenses is a great addition. Puskas can do the drifting and connecting easily as good as Hidegkuti.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
With characteristic decisveness and courage, I've went for 'withdraw vote'. I said in another match thread that I'd find it hard to vote against Balu/Pedro for having Puskas and Eusebio up front, but I really haven't seen enough of most of his team to vote with any confidence against probably the best club side I've seen. Also 'general confusion and incapability' are arguably my primary characteristics as a human being :D.

That Guttman reading the newspaper anecdote was awesome Balu! EAP, you've done a great job this draft, but for the love of God don't throw it away in the reinforcement round with that Frankenstein formation you created on the previous page.

Last edited:

Pat_Mustard

Was reading back and just noticed this. Curious as to why you think so. He worked well enough with Albertini.
I guess it just relative to the quality of team you'd be facing in the final. I don't see it as a big issue. Desailly had his moments bursting forward (CL final vs Barca being the obvious one), and that brick wall in front of the defence was a big reason for their success. Maybe Boban (although he wasn't always a first team fixture) played an important role in mitigating against that Desailly/Albertini midfield being too static?

antohan

I'd say it's an even more interesting combination with those three than it was at Hungary. Eusebio's physicality and running at defenses is a great addition. Puskas can do the drifting and connecting easily as good as Hidegkuti.
Absolutely.

Was reading back and just noticed this. Curious as to why you think so. He worked well enough with Albertini.
I'm not saying it's shit, but it was the midfield they used to choke the life out of games and nick a goal so they didn't need to be particularly dynamic or exciting. It absolutely 100% works defensively, but it's not the same at all. Once that late Capello side wrapped up leagues they took the eye off the ball a bit and lost or drew the final games of the season. Rijkaard instead played for a side that would pummel teams all the way to the final game of the season and produced basketball scorelines on occasion all the while keeping clean sheets, maybe not 22 in 34 games like they did in 1993-94, but thereabouts.

I know which attitude I prefer!

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

Zoltan!

PS He was a vampire dog, no less. Dracula's own mutt, if ye can believe it. And yes, I've seen the movie (if ye can believe THAT).

Annahnomoss

That's a different matter - switch Eusebio with Kocsis if you like. If we're going with the Magyar theme, though, I'd like to keep Kocsis alongside Puskas - which means you need someone (other than either P or K) to play that Hidegkuti role. So, you play Eusebio there - or bench him (but you don't want that) for...Zizinho, I suppose, who might do well in that role too.
Liedholm would be the better choice!

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Liedholm would be the better choice!
As a false centreforward? Hidegkuti was a very mobile attacker who played as a striker at his clubs and scored during his peak almost a goal per game. He just played a different role for the nationalteam, because Hungary simply had too many great goalscorers in the team. If you look how Kocsis played at Barca, he probably is the by far best suited player for that role, but I definitely need the Czibor - Kocsis connection in attack and Puskas is an additional threat from outside the box, so he gets the job.

If you want to line-up as a Magyar 3214, then Chesterle's version with Eusebio withdraw behind the four makes a lot of sense, but the movement you'd want from the players would lead to the WW I used in my opinion:

would lead to something like the following, where either Eusebio gets to run with the ball at the defense, Puskas moves towards the ball to receive it outside the box or Czibor puts a cross in for Kocsis.

Annahnomoss

As a false centreforward?
Now I wouldn't use a false-9 at all, but Chester suggested an old and past his peak Zizinho to do the role - when peak Liedholm is in the team.

I'd say Liedholm would be a better fit than Zizinho in that role even if they were both at their peak as Zizinho was more of an individualist, and Liedholm was more of a playmaker with incredible dribbling.

Now I wouldn't have either of them as the preferred option, I don't see a reason for you to fully replicate a Magyar side to the tee.

Annahnomoss

As a false centreforward?
Now I wouldn't use a false-9 at all, but Chester suggested an old and past his peak Zizinho to do the role - when peak Liedholm is in the team.

I'd say Liedholm would be a better fit than Zizinho in that role even if they were both at their peak as Zizinho was more of an individualist, and Liedholm was more of a playmaker with incredible dribbling.

Now I wouldn't have either of them as the preferred option, I don't see a reason for you to fully replicate a Magyar side to the tee.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Zizinho would be a better withdrawn striker than Liedholm. With two natural wingers already in the team, I'd argue that playing Bozsik and Liedholm together doesn't make a lot of sense.

Oh and the Caf is fecked.

Annahnomoss

Zizinho would be a better withdrawn striker than Liedholm. With two natural wingers already in the team, I'd argue that playing Bozsik and Liedholm together doesn't make a lot of sense.

Oh and the Caf is fecked.
Yes it is acting crazy! I think it depends on who you already have in the team. Both players played as second strikers in their career and they are stylistically different. Zizinho much better if there's amples of space for him to use his brilliant dribbling and strong pace, while Liedholm was a playmaking second striker who would be a much better choice in my mind when Eusebio-Puskas and the wingers are already at such a high level in terms of dribbling and technique.

Liedholm's superior passing and work rate would be of a bigger advantage than Zizinho's better pace and slightly better dribbling.

Talking about them in their peak that is, this is far from the peak Zizinho though so I don't think it is very close at all.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Talking about them in their peak that is, this is far from the peak Zizinho though so I don't think it is very close at all.
Yeah, Guttmann's Zizinho would play deeper, that's of course true. Either way, I trust those 3 upfront to sort it out.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Oh it's over. Now that was one unexpected outcome here. Shocking defeat, you guys know nothing about football.

Great game @Edgar Allan Pillow , thanks for running this draft @Annahnomoss . @PedroMendez was again a fantastic partner, also special mention of his language skills, which were really helpful. @antohan gave a lot of insight into Guttmann's Southamerican team, thanks for that. I'm not entirely sure who came up with the idea of a manager theme, but I really enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun, I'll take a break from the draft business until something equally great comes along.

Pat_Mustard

Nice to see my 'original' ideas get appreciated! :(
Sorry man,that was a bit harsh. But effectively you're bringing Thuram, Rijkaard and Donadoni in for Costacurta, Redondo and Cafu. Individually, Thuram is an upgrade on Costacurta, Rijkaard a very marginal one on Redondo, and Donadoni a downgrade on Cafu, albeit in different positions. The downside is that in a manager themed draft, with one of the greatest club sides ever at your disposal, you're breaking up arguably the best defensive unit ever, putting them in an alien formation, and probably fielding a less balanced central midfield than the one you have now. Its a nice team witha near-unimprovable 3 man defence, but in the context of this draft its just, well, pointless!

:lol: I've used that phrase for years on job applications. Usually never hear back from anyone - elitist bastards!
Our talents are doomed to go unappreciated in the real world mate. We're better off playing it safe and spending as much of our lives as possible hiding out in fantasy draft threads instead :D.

antohan

Sorry man,that was a bit harsh. But effectively you're bringing Thuram, Rijkaard and Donadoni in for Costacurta, Redondo and Cafu. Individually, Thuram is an upgrade on Costacurta, Rijkaard a very marginal one on Redondo, and Donadoni a downgrade on Cafu, albeit in different positions. The downside is that in a manager themed draft, with one of the greatest club sides ever at your disposal, you're breaking up arguably the best defensive unit ever, putting them in an alien formation, and probably fielding a less balanced central midfield than the one you have now. Its a nice team witha near-unimprovable 3 man defence, but in the context of this draft its just, well, pointless!
Exactly, the entire point seems to be fielding the best possible back three but it costs him the midfield balance by having to go with two defensive monsters, all for the purpose of adding Roberto Donadoni upfront instead of Cafú bombing up from deep :houllier: