Manager Poll

Who do you want to manage Manchester United next year ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Walters_19_MuFc

I voted for ten Hag before the FA Cup final and I still maintain we should stick with him, simply because the other options don't seem significantly better to me, and I'd also like to see ten Hag with a full squad and what he's like under our new management structure.

gaffs

We consider Liverpool to have a pretty good footballing operation. They recruit pretty well and have well respected people incharge of football operations - Michael Edwards, Richard Hughes, Julian Ward etc.

They were pretty close to going for Amorim, by all accounts. Several stories out there as to why they didnt take him - the Sporting owner increase the release clause, he wanted more transfer control or he was wedded to the 343. Not sure if all, or any of this is true, but either way, he was on the shortlist and they went for Slot.

Why are we not looking at him?

gaffs

I voted for ten Hag before the FA Cup final and I still maintain we should stick with him, simply because the other options don't seem significantly better to me, and I'd also like to see ten Hag with a full squad and what he's like under our new management structure.
I think think argument, which i hear all the time, is pretty daft.

On paper, maybe you are right - the resumes of the other candidates may not be as good at ETH. But there is something not working when you put ETH and MUFC together. Maybe it is his methods, his personality or the players not responding to him in the right way. Either way, it doesn't work.

You may have the best looking girlfriend out there and you think you may never get a better looking one. But if you don't get on and she is dragging you down, you move on.

Walters_19_MuFc

I think think argument, which i hear all the time, is pretty daft.

On paper, maybe you are right - the resumes of the other candidates may not be as good at ETH. But there is something not working when you put ETH and MUFC together. Maybe it is his methods, his personality or the players not responding to him in the right way. Either way, it doesn't work.

You may have the best looking girlfriend out there and you think you may never get a better looking one. But if you don't get on and she is dragging you down, you move on.
Not at all. If this were his first season then I'd be inclined to agree. However, its not and actually, his first season was a massive success.

Following that, it was obviously his time to push on and show some form of progression. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case, and yes, we've had a poor season, but not everything was in his control.

As I said before, new management structure, squad available, new additions and don't see why we can't replicate, or even better our first season under ten Hag.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Not at all. If this were his first season then I'd be inclined to agree. However, its not and actually, his first season was a massive success.

Following that, it was obviously his time to push on and show some form of progression. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case, and yes, we've had a poor season, but not everything was in his control.

As I said before, new management structure, squad available, new additions and don't see why we can't replicate, or even better our first season under ten Hag.
Standards have fallen if winning the league cup is a massive success and forgetting the 6-2 loss to city as well as the humiliation by the scousers.

ArbeitervonWien

Standards have fallen if winning the league cup is a massive success and forgetting the 6-2 loss to city as well as the humiliation by the scousers.
I don't get this "our standards"-argument. How the feck could we maintain our standards after 10 years of shite?

Walters_19_MuFc

What standards? I'm judging it based on the previous season, and so I maintain that it was a 'massive success'. That involved finishing 3rd, getting to two finals and winning one. Of course, if you want to focus on the negatives, then suit yourself, but I was happy with last season.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Why? None of them have succeeded in football so far.
Which is why I said supposedly.
It worries me that maybe, just maybe, ETH is the right man to take us forward, but yet another plan is abandoned at the first storm, whilst the experts of INEOS appointing "Best in Class in all Football Roles" and genuinely thinking that Potter, Southgate & McKenna are some of the very best managers in World football chills me to the bone.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It's not like the new manager has to do a great job...I mean what past manager post Fergie did a great job for us?
I'd disagree with that.
As inconvenient as it might be, if you judged ETH purely on end of season returns, he has been here 2 seasons, won 2 trophies and R/U and delivered European football both seasons, and brought through Mainoo & Garnacho etc.

So to sack him, in my honest opinion, the next manager has to come in and immediately improve upon what ETH has achieved.
I seriously have my doubts that the likes of Potter, Frank, McKenna, De Zerbi are going to be capable of that, and if that's the case, it's another backwards step.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Which is why I said supposedly.
It worries me that maybe, just maybe, ETH is the right man to take us forward, but yet another plan is abandoned at the first storm, whilst the experts of INEOS appointing "Best in Class in all Football Roles" and genuinely thinking that Potter, Southgate & McKenna are some of the very best managers in World football chills me to the bone.
Radcliffe will spend two years learning and make more mistakes than the Glazers at every turn.

Ashworth is probably a good hire. If decisions are delegated to him, we’ll be safe and stable, and may waste less money. But he’s not experienced at this level.

Barrada looks safe, but I’m worried that the tail may wag the dog a little.

I won’t pretend to know anything about Wilcox.

Our most experienced football employee is ten Hag and he’ll probably leave.

We’ll have an entire structure of new people that don’t know each other. I think that this season will become the norm for a while. I worry that they’ll get sack happy too often. Or employ Southgate/Potter and we’ll play boring tidy football for 2-3 years and fall short in cup competitions, with the odd 4th place.

gaffs

For me, being a good manager is being able to come up with results when you perhaps don’t have your best XI available.

Ten Hag hasn’t show enough pragmatism when we have been short at the back. He’s setup the team to play the usual expansive counter attacking way when he has Casemiro and Evans at CB.

He only changes his system when we play City, Liverpool or Arsenal.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'd disagree with that.
As inconvenient as it might be, if you judged ETH purely on end of season returns, he has been here 2 seasons, won 2 trophies and R/U and delivered European football both seasons, and brought through Mainoo & Garnacho etc.

So to sack him, in my honest opinion, the next manager has to come in and immediately improve upon what ETH has achieved.
I seriously have my doubts that the likes of Potter, Frank, McKenna, De Zerbi are going to be capable of that, and if that's the case, it's another backwards step.
The problem with ETH is finishing 8th and having terrible results throughout the season. If we continue that next season, with him, we will look like clowns. We just have to try something else.