Manager Poll

Who do you want to manage Manchester United next year ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cantonagotmehere

A lot of talk about Chelsea being interested in him. I hope for his sake he doesn’t go there,I actually think it’s ran worse than Utd. Rather he stay where he is or move to Brighton.
i mentioned McKenna before Ipswich were promoted but I just think the timing is wrong, he nee£s a few years, maybe just two seasons in the PL just to acclimatise to the pressures of the league. If he does well then make a move and I think patience will help Utd, I just have a nagging feeling that ETH might have a much better season next time round and I hope that’s with us.
Can't argue with that, mate.

Hughes35

Alonso is obviously who everybody would want but he's not leaving where he is.

From realsitic options it's between Poch and Tuchel for me.

Weirdly the Chelsea stint for Poch has actually increased his credibility for me. He's really turned them around recently under difficult circumstances so I'd probably lean slightly towards him now.

Red Royal

The fact that there is no standout manager options available and willing to join us is pretty depressing. Alonso is the only one out there I'd be excited about but will never happen. The rest are has beens or up and coming potentially good managers.

justsomebloke

There is only one correct answer: Whoever Berrada and Ashworth have confidence in and feel they can work well with.

BorisManUtd

Gonna be 11 rival teams' fans though aren't they.
At least 5 of those 11 are: Everton, City, Fulham, Brighton and Carlisie United fans. So yeah definitely. Same probably the case with some of those who voted for ten Hag and Mourinho.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Depends ultimately what the objective is. Pochettino and Tuchel would improve us and get us back to Top 4. While McKenna would be a interesting option but would require time. Amorim has no PL experience so would need time to adjust.

Removing the fantasy and silly names from the list. I would probably go for one of the two safe Managers give them a three year contract and assess after two.

Tuchel has more trophies to his name, Pochettino is arguably better at developing youth. Given our young squad and that I'm being realistic that a title challenge isn't just going to magically happen. Pochettino might be the better short term option.

Redstain

The fact that there is no standout manager options available and willing to join us is pretty depressing. Alonso is the only one out there I'd be excited about but will never happen. The rest are has beens or up and coming potentially good managers.
I understand and agree but the reality is that Erik is being held to a higher regard with no real substance to justify it. He was an up and coming manager on the basis of what he did at Ajax but hasn't transpired meaningful success and development with United.

Therefore it's a downward trajectory. It's not that hard to get an improvement on the basis of what we have seen this season and the performance levels of his total tenure at United.

I don't think United should sign a coach on managerial pedigree but their ability to effectively coach this team.

That's a bracket that Amorim, Poch and De Zerbi fit especially given the fact that both Chelsea and Brighton outperformed United for xG this season; with Chelsea (80.88) just behind Arsenal (84.39). It's not black and white given the numbers but it does demonstrate coaching credentials to some degree. Furthermore, can also look at total possession for this season Chelsea averaged 59% over 38 games, Brighton 60% and then United with a dismal 50% which for a big club is quite disastrous.

There's nothing from the performance data to suggest that keeping Eth is the wise choice, it's quite the contrary.

Last edited:

Drz

May I simply ask why Ancelotti and Luis Enrique are not included for the vote?

Red Royal

I understand and agree but the reality is that Erik is being held to a higher regard with no real substance to justify it. He was an up and coming manager on the basis of what he did at Ajax but hasn't transpired meaningful success and development with United.

Therefore it's a downward trajectory. It's not that hard to get an improvement on the basis of what we have seen this season and the performance levels of his total tenure at United.

I don't think United should sign a coach on managerial pedigree but their ability to effectively coach this team.

That's a bracket that Amorim, Poch and De Zerbi fit especially given the fact that both Chelsea and Brighton outperformed United for xG this season; with Chelsea (80.88) just behind Arsenal (84.39). It's not black and white given the numbers but it does demonstrate coaching credentials to some degree. Furthermore, can also look at total possession for this season Chelsea averaged 59% over 38 games, Brighton 60% and then United with a dismal 50% which for a big club is quite disastrous.

There's nothing from the performance data to suggest that keeping Eth is the wise choice, it's quite the contrary.
Very good and valid points... it really is a tough one and I won't be surprised whichever way INEOS decide.

Are injuries enough of an excuse, will Wilcox or someone else privately read him the riot act, how do the players feel about EtH, is compensation for him a factor??

We don't know a lot about what is going on and we (I will ) have to stand by whatever decision is made fire or give another chance.

Zed 101

Having ETH in the poll is a touch skewed, as clearly the vast majority want not ETH but he is still the highest % score, poll would be better assuming ETH goes who do you want, we already have polls on ETH stay or go

El Zoido

Depends ultimately what the objective is. Pochettino and Tuchel would improve us and get us back to Top 4. While McKenna would be a interesting option but would require time. Amorim has no PL experience so would need time to adjust.

Removing the fantasy and silly names from the list. I would probably go for one of the two safe Managers give them a three year contract and assess after two.

Tuchel has more trophies to his name, Pochettino is arguably better at developing youth. Given our young squad and that I'm being realistic that a title challenge isn't just going to magically happen. Pochettino might be the better short term option.
Pochettino just finished 6th with an arguably better squad than we have. Even if you disagree with the Chelsea squad being better, Poch is far from guaranteed top four at United.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Pochettino just finished 6th with an arguably better squad than we have. Even if you disagree with the Chelsea squad being better, Poch is far from guaranteed top four at United.
They had an influx of players and it took some time to gel which is natural with such large, sweeping changes.

The first 19 games Chelsea managed 1.32 pts per game, the second half of the season they managed 2.00 pts per game. That ranked them 4th place, Newcastle and Palace were joint 5th on 1.63.

My point is that Pochettino had finally got Chelsea going in the right direction. It took time at Tottenham too for what it's worth.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Whoever we get, the first manager post SAF that truly brings us back to the top will be a legend for many years after. Along with all the changes at the top and talk of new facilities etc i do sincerely hope that someone recognizes it as a massive opportunity. Only LvG and Mou were big enough characters to withstand the pressure to a degree.

redmanx

There is no doubt that we have been cursed with injuries this season, and that along with the constant crap form of Rashford, Antony and others makes me think Ten Hag deserves another season with new signings to replace the dross we now have; Varane, Maguire, Shaw, Rashford, Antony, Wan Bissaka, Onana, Martial, Sancho, Casemiro must all be released. Johnny Evans has done well this season but at 37 he cannot be expected to play at the top level much longer. Ten Hag should be allowed to rebuild around Kobbie Mainoo, Hojlund, Garnacho, Martinez and Bruno with properly suitable new signings in the summer, not Marquee signings, we've had too many of those in the last 10 years, Pogba, Antony, Sancho, Di Maria, Lukaku, Schneiderlin, Ronaldo 2nd time, and none has worked out. Lets see how Ten Hag does with a squad of top, fit players who really want to play for Manchester United and not simply warm their arses on the bench while picking up fat pay cheques.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I’d love McKenna but realistically we need someone that immediately commands the respect of the dressing room and needs to be a big name. These players cannot be trusted.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
This should be redone with only the most realistic options

Top 5 according to the bookies:
Poch
De Zerbi
McKenna
Tuchel
Southgate

Long odds: Potter/Frank/Zidane/Amorim

BorisManUtd

Poch
De Zerbi
McKenna
Tuchel
Southgate

Agree. Those 5 + ten Hag as we still don't know if he'll remain for next season.

hobbers

Poll definitely needs re done.

Obviously taking out ETH, Zidane, Sacchi, Alonso, Motta and Mourinho

It's stupid having a next manager poll including the current. He's not staying.

8 options: Tuchel, Poch, McKenna, Frank, De Zerbi, Amorim, Potter, Southgate

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It's now been reported by top tier sources that the shortlist is McKenna, Frank, Tuchel and Poch so if we're going to do the poll again just make it with those options.

Infra-red

The poll is a complete shambles.
A new poll with the bookies' top 10 favourites (and no Ten Hag), might make more sense:
  1. Mauricio Pochettino - 5/4
  2. Kieran McKenna - 3/1
  3. Thomas Tuchel - 9/2
  4. Roberto De Zerbi - 6/1
  5. Gareth Southgate - 8/1
  6. Thomas Frank - 12/1
  7. Xavi Hernandez - 16/1
  8. Graham Potter - 18/1
  9. Ruben Amorim - 20/1
  10. Zinedine Zidane - 20/1

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
A new poll with the bookies' top 10 favourites (and no Ten Hag), might make more sense:
  1. Mauricio Pochettino - 5/4
  2. Kieran McKenna - 3/1
  3. Thomas Tuchel - 9/2
  4. Roberto De Zerbi - 6/1
  5. Gareth Southgate - 8/1
  6. Thomas Frank - 12/1
  7. Xavi Hernandez - 16/1
  8. Graham Potter - 18/1
  9. Ruben Amorim - 20/1
  10. Zinedine Zidane - 20/1
Odds are made up, they don't make sense.

Hughes35

I'd take Emery over both and then hopefully Mckenna is ready in a couple of seasons.
I'd be more than happy with Emery too but don't think he'd leave Villa.

But yea, quite a few good options for once so now is the time to act.

mark_a

Has nobody considered that all the media’s constant questioning of the manager and how some stats are “the worst since 88/89” actually points to keeping him!? Who was the boss then?

With this regime, Ferguson would have gone after 2 seasons

Giggsyking

People choose Mckenna (16%) over 3 champions league winner Zidane (5%) :lol:. This fan base man.

Melville Red

People choose Mckenna (16%) over 3 champions league winner Zidane (5%) :lol:. This fan base man.
What’s Zidane done? Took over at a great R Madrid side and then quit after a few seasons. Hasn’t built a team and hasn’t proved himself in building a team.
McKenna has built a winning team on a shoestring, plays good football and has won two successive promotions.
he has also coached at U18 level both at Apurs and of course Utd and so he knows all about youth development.
Just because Zidane is a big name doesn’t make him the right man for our club. He’d be a bloody disaster.

Maureen-yo

Having ETH in the poll is a touch skewed, as clearly the vast majority want not ETH but he is still the highest % score, poll would be better assuming ETH goes who do you want, we already have polls on ETH stay or go
If there’s a poll and the highest number of votes go to one manager then that suggests that’s the manager that most people want.
Not really skewing it, it’s being inclusive.

van Nistelrooy

Poch
De Zerbi
McKenna
Tuchel
Southgate

We should have an updated poll, but I don't really consider Southgate a serious option with him being involved in the Euros until mid-July most likely and requiring a holiday.

Giggsyking

What’s Zidane done? Took over at a great R Madrid side and then quit after a few seasons. Hasn’t built a team and hasn’t proved himself in building a team.
McKenna has built a winning team on a shoestring, plays good football and has won two successive promotions.
he has also coached at U18 level both at Apurs and of course Utd and so he knows all about youth development.
Just because Zidane is a big name doesn’t make him the right man for our club. He’d be a bloody disaster.
I really speechless. Zidane know how to coach youth, he coached Madrid youth too. He won the fecking champions league 3 times, the first time was when he took over a Madrid with injury and football crisis. A fecking championship manager being compared to Zidane is an insult to football.