Managerial Tap-Ins

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Following on from Marcus's thread about Moyes and Fergie:

I think we all agree that if our central midfield is strengthened, United will improve as a team. Maybe Sir Alex decided to leave this managerial tap-in for Moyes to finish. Once Moyes signs the world-class midfielder to comes in alongside Carrick United will be even more successful. This will the secure Moyes' position in the eyes of United's fans and buy Moyes the time he needs to find his feet.
What other occasions have their been of Managerial Tap-Ins?

The example I have been thinking of is of Ranieri signing Cech before leaving Chelsea, only for Jose to take all the glory. Slightly different to what Marcus was talking about though.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Benítez winning the Champions League with a team he largely inherited, and gradually worsening that said team.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Benitez just had a massive tap-in but he still cocked it up, just a Uefa Cup with that front-line after having a nice draw in the League Cup and the Fifa Club World Cup.

Erentz

Knows everything! 5 years later.
Ștefan Kovács after Rinus Michels?

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Benítez winning the Champions League with a team he largely inherited, and gradually worsening that said team.
They challeneged for the title in 09. They got much better before getting worse.

Benitez at Inter on the other hand......

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Benitez just had a massive tap-in but he still cocked it up, just a Uefa Cup with that front-line after having a nice draw in the League Cup and the Fifa Club World Cup.
He made a total Jonas Olsson of that tap in. Had the chance to be a World Champion and he blazed it out of the stands from 3 yards out.

Avram Grant had the chance to slot away a Champions League win with an inherited Mourinho team. Not quite a tap in. Maybe more of a one on one with the goalkeeper, with the rain pelting down, and the keeper has narrowed the angle well. Skewed wide. Hardlines, Avram.

Mancini at City should have been a barrage of tap-ins, and he could have been renowned as a deadly managerial poacher, slotting in any chance he got. A credit card with no limit and a non existent wage structure. He had one prolific season, then went all Fernando Torres.

Mersault

Off topic, but compliments to the chef (Marcus?), lovely phrase

Ixion

Wenger inherited a lot of his 98 double winners, the back four and keeper, Parlour, Bergkamp, Wright, Vieira.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Everything Guardiola has ever done and is likely to do next year?

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
They challenged in a season Chelsea had three managers, City were yet to exist, and Arsenal were Arsenal.
But we were United, and they pushed us to the end (they ended up with 86 points iirc)..

However, I think it was one of Liverpool's luckiest season ever, because I think they scored 20+ late goals/winners that season.. Was unbelievable.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Wenger inherited a lot of his 98 double winners, the back four and keeper, Parlour, Bergkamp, Wright, Vieira.
He didn't inherit Vieira. He instructed the club to buy him as soon as he was given the job. When Wenger arrived the club was going through tough times as Adams was at the height of his addiction, Stewart Houston had resigned and Rioch had been sacked after only a year in charge. Hardly a tap-in since he finished the season third. It was the next season when he won the double and it was his team playing his style.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
But we were United, and they pushed us to the end (they ended up with 86 points iirc)..

However, I think it was one of Liverpool's luckiest season ever, because I think they scored 20+ late goals/winners that season.. Was unbelievable.
Looking back on it from 80 minutes to full time, they had 5 draws go to wins, 1 draw go to a loss, 2 wins go to a draw, and 1 loss go to a win. So that's 8 points they gained in the league after 80 minutes.

Chelsea had 1 W>D, 1 L>W, 1 D>L so 0 point differential after 80 minutes.
Manchester United had 4 D>W to also gain 8 points after 80 minutes.
Arsenal 2 W>D, 3 D>W, 1 L>D thus gaining 3 points after 80 minutes.

So it doesn't look like Liverpool was really an outlier that year.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Yeah, winning Champions League with the amazing squad with Dudek, Traore, Biscan, Smicer, Baros, Sinama-Pongolle etc. was piss easy.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't understand why you name Inter under Benitez. A heavily overaged squad that just won the treble, with no big transfers. Add to that Samuel and Milito being injured for large parts of the season and Maicon missed a couple of games too. That's the complete opposite of a managerial tap-in. Benitez' successor invested ~35mil or so into the squad and got like 6 points more than him, while tanking the CL.

TheRisingSun

Banned
But according to the media and rival fans, he's done an AMAZING job in spite of all those evil plastic chavs giving him grief?

He has done a half decent job and nothing more.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
But according to the media and rival fans, he's done an AMAZING job in spite of all those evil plastic chavs giving him grief?

He has done a half decent job and nothing more.
He's done a good job considering those evil plastic chavs giving him grief.

Siorac

Guardiola at Bayern should be a managerial tap-in in the sense that he will inherit an amazing squad strengthened with Götze and probably Lewandowski as well.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Chelsea's first team is very good - or their attack is. Mata, Hazard, Oscar and one of Ramires or Lampard would get in our team. If Chelsea hadn't finished in the top 4 with their squad it would have been quite embarrassing.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Wenger inherited an AA group meeting. Mourinho inherited brilliant work from Ranieri, although he added solidity. Guardiola obviously inherited a great team but he drilled them really well. Guardiola to Bayern looks like one of the biggest open goals for a while. Mancini should have made more of his inheritance.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Aside from loads of cash, Mancini didn't have that much inheritance. About a million "top 4" players, but not many that would win a championship

Zabaleta, Robinho, Adebayor, Tévez, Kompany and de Jong are perhaps (or could have been) Championship winning material.

Note I'm not saying that to win a Championship you have only the best players, but you need some.