Manager's Press Conference | Manchester United v West Ham United | Ralf Rangnick | Premier League

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Rangnick on Sancho
He didn't train yesterday because he still asked us to not train. He attended a funeral on Wednesday, it still affected him quite a lot, he is expected back to training this afternoon at three o'clock, but right now I'm not sure if he will be available for the game tomorrow.

It was an important member of the family, somebody he was close to all his life. I have to wait and see, speak to him before training and after training and take the decision

Lindelof incident
I spoke with him at length on our flight back home from London and also this morning. We spoke for 20 or 25 minutes, he told me what actually happened, that this was a traumatic event, especially for his wife and three year old son.

He said to me right now he needs to stay at home, he doesn't want to leave his wife and family on their own, which I can fully understand, being a father of two children myself. We agreed he will not be on duty tomorrow for the game.

Transfers and Lingard
Regarding Jesse, it's the same as quite a few other players, he's a really good player, it's normal at other clubs, Newcastle showed interest in him but I am not the one dealing with that. If you ask me now what will happen in the next 10 days I cannot answer that question, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
What does Dalot offer?
Offensively, he has a lot of assets, he did well for somebody who can deliver crosses from the wing, he can take on players one on one situations. There is still space for improvement in his defensive work. He's not that much of a defensive full-back, but more of an offensive full-back but this is normal.

There are quite a few other full-backs in other clubs where it is the same. Quite a few of those full-backs formerly played at right or left-wingers. Therefore so fr with developments I've had while I'm here with Diogo and Telles, I'm happy. They get more game-time now because Luke is injured and Aaron is still ill.

'Football is a bit like chess'
Well, in a way in football it's a bit like chess, things can change so quickly during the game, if you watched last night's semi-final in the Carabao Cup things can change from one minute to another. In some parts of the game, you are dominating the game, pinning the other team back, and all of sudden it can be different.

Therefore it is important to be able to react to what the game needs now, to what the team needs and we had exactly the same decision at Brentford as at Villa, 70 minutes played, 2-0 up against a team who does not give up. Therefore for me it was logical with the negative experience we had at Villa Park to do it differently this time and it was clear we bring on Harry [Maguire] and then defend this 2-0 result and in the end we even scored a third one on the counter-attack and it was clear we were going to win the game.

Lingard again
As I said, it's the question of what does the player want, what other options does he have, does he have the chance to get game time, I cannot answer for him, it has to be done by the players. He's a very good player, a technical player.

Here at Manchester United it's not so easy, we have other players who can play in that position and we cannot change from one game to another five or six positions. I know his contract is expiring in the summer, the question is what does he want to do I wouldn't be unhappy if he stayed until the rest of the season because he is a player who can always play and I know the level.

Last edited:

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Can United rebuild?
My full focus as I have indicated is to win games with this team, in order to win games as a team we need to develop as a team, we need to improve in some areas, we have done so in the last couple of weeks, but there is still more space for that in vast areas of our game and this is where my focus is.

I'm not dealing with what might happen in four or five months, that is not on top of my list. It's about how we can win the game against West Ham, then the Cup against Middlesbrough and then Burnley, playing Southampton and Brighton at home, this is where my focus is.

Last edited:

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Ronaldo's reaction against Brentford
Well, I think we shouldn't make too much of a fuss out of it. I can only speak for myself and my coaching staff. I explained that to him during the game, we had a little conversation after we score the third goal. In fact, I told him the same as what i said in our press conference.

The job of a football manager is to help the team win the game and it was clear from our experience at Villa Park that this time we have to do things better. We did it better and the only question was, who do we take off? Of course, Cristiano is a prolific goalscorer and he's a player that will always want to play and score goals. He was also asking why me 'why didn't you take off one of the younger players?'.

The answer came five minutes later when one of the younger players scored the third goal. Maybe Cristiano could have also scored the third goal but football is not about maybe, it is about taking a decision in the right moment.

Football is about taking a decision in the right moment. Second goal, one of the most attacking situations in the game. He hasn’t been substituted for the first time in his career. A player like Cristiano Ronaldo doesn’t like to be substituted.

"The reaction was emotional. That is not a problem. I know how offensive players react to this but it is about getting points. Every game of great importance. The team is more important no matter who it is. Bruno [Fernandes] was also substituted and wasn’t happy. But it is what is in best interests of the team and the club.

Zlatattack

I really like his press conferences, so full of authority and matter of fact.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
why do journalists constantly ask about signings in January! Its a question that never gets answered

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
why do journalists constantly ask about signings in January! Its a question that never gets answered
Funny as hell if he just turned round and said, yep, Mbappe, Haaland, Veratti, Keano, Cantona Robson and Baggio all incoming in the next 10 days.

Ogaranya

Ronaldo should stop behaving like a kid, how on earth do you think that you can't be substituted in a match.

If the season ends, he should leave please, he destroyed the chemistry in the dressing room.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Ronaldo should stop behaving like a kid, how on earth do you think that you can't be substituted in a match.

If the season ends, he should leave please, he destroyed the chemistry in the dressing room.
No he didn’t

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He was also asking why me 'why didn't you take off one of the younger players?'.
:lol:

He really doesn't care about anyone and anything except himself.

Apokalips

Has he not done something along these lines already? Or am I thinking of someone else?
He did...when they asked him about some rumour that he had pushed us to agree a deal with Haaland or something.

NiceGuyEddie

I love Ole, he will always be a legend in my eyes, but his press conferences were always safe and boring. He seemed more interested in sticking to a pre-prepared script, and overly concerned with not painting the club or its players in a negative light.

Rangnick, on the other hand, pretty much tells it how it is, without getting too personal. The guy clearly knows what he's talking about, and articulates it very well, especially considering English isn't his first language. For me, he's a breath of fresh air.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Would rather a player comes off asking why they came off and wanting to stay on, rather than someone whose happy to come off.
Ronaldo asked a question because he wanted to stay on, to score. Really don't see anything wrong with that at all.

OmarUnited4ever

My full focus as I have indicated is to win games with this team, in order to win games as a team we need to develop as a team, we need to improve in some areas, we have done so in the last couple of weeks, but there is still more space for that in vast areas of our game and this is where my focus is
RR comments are damning here, he knows the team is really far off from where it aspires to be, he can't look that far in the future when the current situation is is this bad.

Lee565

:lol:

He really doesn't care about anyone and anything except himself.
Said this when he laid blame at the youngsters a week back, it's pretty damn low for a guy of his experience and status to throw the young players under the bus and use them as a scapegoat.

He is not thinking of the team or even the club, all cares about is the ronaldo show, I would happily see him leave during this window.

UncleBob

Said this when he laid blame at the youngsters a week back, it's pretty damn low for a guy of his experience and status to throw the young players under the bus and use them as a scapegoat.

He is not thinking of the team or even the club, all cares about is the ronaldo show, I would happily see him leave during this window.
What :lol:

frutti di mare

Has he not done something along these lines already? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Yeah the press wrote some rubbish that he’d get £10m if he could get Halaand to sign, they actually wasted a question asked him in the presser and he replied more or less “yeah 10m for Halaand, 10 for Lewandowski, 20 for Messi, 50m for Mbappe “

Daengophile

I'm pretty sure that in his eyes he wants to be in the headlines and to do that he needs to add to his goal count. He also has some very clear rivalry with the younger, up and coming forwards who have a bit more power in the battery than he does in his more advanced years.

Rangnick was right to pull him and right to give Rashford some time to work his was back to form.

Tap

Yup, a winner’s mentality destroying the complacent primadonna chemistry of the dressing room. Sounds good to me.

Barnslig

Why does he have this obsession with always letting everyone know how long his conversations go for?

Pughnichi

I love Ole, he will always be a legend in my eyes, but his press conferences were always safe and boring. He seemed more interested in sticking to a pre-prepared script, and overly concerned with not painting the club or its players in a negative light.

Rangnick, on the other hand, pretty much tells it how it is, without getting too personal. The guy clearly knows what he's talking about, and articulates it very well, especially considering English isn't his first language. For me, he's a breath of fresh air.
agree entirely. Ole remains a club legend for me. I did sometimes feel he was like a rabbit in headlights at press conferences though and often just said what he thought should be said.

ralf on the other hand doesn’t feed us with what he thinks we or the media need/want to hear but instead just tells us his own opinions. And he’s right. Sure I’ve seen footage of him somewhere saying that as long he has absolute faith in what he is doing and a belief that everything he does is with the best intentions then outside noise doesn’t have any impact. An assured man…and like you said, a breath of fresh air

Gordon Godot

Yup, a winner’s mentality destroying the complacent primadonna chemistry of the dressing room. Sounds good to me.
A winner doesnt strop around like that, the question is very much whether he sees winning as about himself or teh team. A 36 year old coming back from injury, in a team 2-0 up against an athletic pressing team, should have few complaints. A slight huff for a minute but the sitting in a sulk like a 16 year old should be called out for what it is. pathetic.

Gordon Godot

agree entirely. Ole remains a club legend for me. I did sometimes feel he was like a rabbit in headlights at press conferences though and often just said what he thought should be said.

ralf on the other hand doesn’t feed us with what he thinks we or the media need/want to hear but instead just tells us his own opinions. And he’s right. Sure I’ve seen footage of him somewhere saying that as long he has absolute faith in what he is doing and a belief that everything he does is with the best intentions then outside noise doesn’t have any impact. An assured man…and like you said, a breath of fresh air
Afraid Ole sold out completely to Woodward and Glazers, was happy to do anythign to keep his job, would have played 2 keepers and 9 defenders at time if he could. went along with club PR rubbish about rebuilds and new scouting etc. But as we see know the whole thing is still a shambles, no rebuild, no new structures. The blame sits with Ed but Ole was a willing participant in the joke that is now MUFC.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Why does he have this obsession with always letting everyone know how long his conversations go for?
I asked him about and we spoke for 10 minutes about why it's important to be precise, I then spent 20 seconds writing this post.

The Impossible Team

I asked him about and we spoke for 10 minutes about why it's important to be precise, I then spent 20 seconds writing this post.
I hope you used a Tag Heur watch when timing these things. It will make Woody feel so proud of himself, the marketing genius egotistical smug cnut.

I, myself am rocking a Casio, it has got a 24 hr clock, stopwatch, alarm and a light that illuminates the edge of the screen and nothing else:wenger:.

What a waste of my, a moderator's:p and hopefully everybody else on here's time, this post was!:boring:

btw love the pressers, Ralf "keep it real" Rangnick:) especially after the Ole blagfests.
Hope you can get all the "personalities" in the squad singing off your hymn sheet by the end of the season (physically and mentally).
To all the out of tune mofo's... Get the feck outta here!!

sp_107

I like him to be honest but i wish he put some filter to this mouth, too much info to the media