14/15 : Enrique
13/14 : Ancellotti
11/12 : Di Matteo

That's 5 of the last 10 years.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Not that surprising tbh, most managers only last 2-3 seasons if even that.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
What about before RDM started the trend ?

Skills

Snitch
21/22 : Ancelotti
20/21 : Tuchel
19/20 : Flick
15/16 : Zidane

We can add Tuchel & Ancelotti to this list since I made this thread.

Paul_Scholes18

It just shows this idea that managers need an insane amount of time to do something is not true.
Good managers can have a quick impact.

Like Rangnick for instance. He could have made an quick impact, but he did not since he was not a good manager.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
indeed. backing eth to do the unthinkable and do it for us next season.

paulscholes18

21/22 : Ancelotti
20/21 : Tuchel
19/20 : Flick
15/16 : Zidane

We can add Tuchel & Ancelotti to this list since I made this thread.
If only we made the CL for this season :(

CraftySoAndSo

It just shows this idea that managers need an insane amount of time to do something is not true.

Like Rangnick for instance. He could have made an quick impact, but he did not since he was not a good manager.
He's having a quick impact as Austria manager having players who can actually press.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Ancelotti certainly does not count.

Hopefully ETH can continue the trend in the Europa.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
If I'm not mistaken, on your list it was all their first seasons managing in Europe as well as first season with the club, except tuchel? But then it was tuchels first season with Chelsea, so okay if that's the criteria. This wasn't ancelotti first season in Europe, nor was it his first season in Europe with Madrid. It's a stretch to include him.

Skills

Snitch
If I'm not mistaken, on your list it was all their first seasons managing in Europe as well as first season with the club, except tuchel? But then it was tuchels first season with Chelsea, so okay if that's the criteria. This wasn't ancelotti first season in Europe, nor was it his first season in Europe with Madrid. It's a stretch to include him.
The criteria is the managers first season with the club in their current tenure.

The fact that all of them bar Tuchel & Ancelotti also won it in their first season in europe is also an interesting observation that I had missed.

To add, all of the CL winning managers going back to Mourinho in 09/10 made the CL final in their first attempt at those clubs (i.e. Klopp made the final in 2018, which was his first season in the CL with Liverpool).

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
The criteria is the managers first season with the club in their current tenure.

The fact that all of them bar Tuchel & Ancelotti also won it in their first season in europe is also an interesting observation that I had missed.

To add, all of the CL winning managers going back to Mourinho in 09/10 made the CL final in their first attempt at those clubs (i.e. Klopp made the final in 2018, which was his first season in the CL with Liverpool).
The criteria is "managers winning the CL in their first season"

This isn't ancelottis first season with Mardrid or in the CL. You've added in "current tenure" to shoe horn in ancelotti when he doesn't count :lol:

Skills

Snitch
The criteria is "managers winning the CL in their first season"

This isn't ancelottis first season with Mardrid or in the CL. You've added in "current tenure" to shoe horn in ancelotti when he doesn't count :lol:
But it is Ancelotti's first season at Madrid? He was at Everton last year :confused:

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
But it is Ancelotti's first season at Madrid? He was at Everton last year :confused:
To put it simply, you cant win something for the first time at a club twice.

You wouldn't say for instance, Paul Scholes won the premier League for the first time with United back in 2013, when he came out of retirement and joined United, or would you?

Skills

Snitch
To put it simply, you cant win something for the first time at a club twice.

You wouldn't say for instance, Paul Scholes won the premier League for the first time with United back in 2013, when he came out of retirement and joined United, or would you?
A slightly different scenario that - Ancelotti ended up back at Madrid and just about happened to win at his first attempt again with Madrid.

If Paul Scholes won the Premier League in both his debut seasons at United, sure he would've qualified for the above context.

Anyways, I made the original list. There's nothing up for interpretation, because the OP is literally clarifying this for you. This list was about managers winning the CL in their first seasons for a given tenure. I just wasn't expecting Ancelotti winning it twice when I made this originally 2 years ago - so it didn't need a clarification then.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Heynckes '98 - special case here as this was still before the expansion
Del Bosque '00
Benitez '05
Guardiola '09
Di Matteo '12
Ancelotti '14
Luis Enrique '15
Zidane '16
Flick '20
Tuchel '21
Ancelotti '22

11 out of 25 seasons...throw in Zidane, Del Bosque and Guardiola winning multiple times in a short period, too

Glorio

I agree that Rangnick wasn't a good manager (not for us anyway), however, would you say Di Matteo improved Chelsea? Was he a good manager for them? I'd say not particularly.

Winning the league or even improving league results and performances is a much better indication of a manager's impact at a club than a cup win (albeit a very prestigious one) I feel.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I agree that Rangnick wasn't a good manager (not for us anyway), however, would you say Di Matteo improved Chelsea? Was he a good manager for them? I'd say not particularly.

Winning the league or even improving league results and performances is a much better indication of a manager's impact at a club than a cup win (albeit a very prestigious one) I feel.
Not really but what he did do was revert back to basics after AVB had tried to make too many changes too quickly. He was more a good man manager than any sort of tactician.

I will say though, the few months between winning the CL and his sacking was some of the best football Chelsea have played outside of Ancelotti's first season - Hazard, Mata and Oscar had developed insane chemistry. But those were the days when Abramovich was particularly trigger happy where he sack managers that weren't even doing that badly.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Mourinho could count as well perhaps seeing that he won it in his first season in that competition, and won the europa in his first season as well.

Edit: simeone too won the europa league in his first season.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München

Well in defence of Rangnick, opposed to those on the list he inherited a trainwreck of a team

TheReligion

Abusive
A slightly different scenario that - Ancelotti ended up back at Madrid and just about happened to win at his first attempt again with Madrid.

If Paul Scholes won the Premier League in both his debut seasons at United, sure he would've qualified for the above context.

Anyways, I made the original list. There's nothing up for interpretation, because the OP is literally clarifying this for you. This list was about managers winning the CL in their first seasons for a given tenure. I just wasn't expecting Ancelotti winning it twice when I made this originally 2 years ago - so it didn't need a clarification then.
You can’t have more than one debut

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
On the subject of Heynckes who was mentioned earlier, was he sacked about a week after leading Real Madrid to long-awaited 7th European Cup / Champions League? I guess finishing 4th in La Liga (which I guess wasn't quite as strong a league then as it would soon become) was considered to be disastrous, and that was also a 1 year before the 3rd and 4th place teams in a La Liga would also qualify for the CL (well the qualifying round) as it was expanded from 24 to 32 teams.

reddyornot

But those were the days when Abramovich was particularly trigger happy
Not the best analogy at the moment.