Manchester City banned from CL for 2 seasons and fined 30 million euros | CAS - Ban lifted, fined 10 million

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You are missing his point. If rich clubs are truly ruining the game then you should see a drop off in attendance, viewership and TV deals. You don't see that.
Why would you see that?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Fair enough if that’s how they feel. Me personally, I couldn’t stand being a supporter of a league that is, somewhat artificially, completely and utterly dominated by one team. I know there are plenty of leagues where this is the norm, but I just feel that these oligarch clubs tip the scales and disparity even more than before.

I guess I just don’t like the growing gaps in football between the top and the rest, and I worry that the PL is headed towards a similar fate as the french league.
But here is the problem. The french league doesn't exist in a vaccum. The growing gap that you are alluding to is for example the one between good french teams and bad PL teams. A team like Brighton that finished just outside the relegation zone got 102m£ while its french equivalent got around 25m€. Brighton received more money than PSG or a better example they got more money than Lyon a club that produces good players at a high rate and has to compete with PL clubs that aren't doing a good job when it comes to actually contributing to Football, they don't play well, they don't produce top players, they don't even generate the money that they receive, they basically receive subsidies from the likes of United, Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea. These PL bottom half clubs are the worst thing for Football, they increased the price and wages of top division average and below average players all around Europe, clubs can't benefit from their academy products for a substantial amount of time because these clubs will make them offers that they can't refuse and FFP has created an environment where some of these non-PL clubs are forced to sell if they want to have access to EL or CL money.

And I'm not suggesting that City or PSG aren't a problem, they are a problem for the big clubs, at the top end of the transfer/wage market and they should be sanctioned if they don't respect the rules that they tacitly agreed to respect. But for everyone else the problem is the fact that clubs have to live in the same market than the PL. Just an example currently you have Giroud a good football player who is at best the third option at Chelsea and played 300 minutes in all competitions, because the PL is in a totally different world financially and can afford his wage while good french clubs can't, Giroud is doing nothing this season.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
You are missing his point. If rich clubs are truly ruining the game then you should see a drop off in attendance, viewership and TV deals. You don't see that.
I've never argued that rich clubs are ruining the game, in fact I believe the opposite. My issue is sustainability and fairness.

FFP was not introduced to prevent small teams from competing against bigger clubs, it was introduced so clubs were less likely to collapse financially and go into administration. As a side effect it meant that smaller clubs could not make huge investments over a short period. Despite FFP there have been success stories, such as Leicester, Tottenham, Atletico that have challenged the elite clubs, and I hope they can continue to do so.

Football was growing before the rise of the sugar daddy clubs due to satellite TV, internet etc. I believe it can/will still grow without them.

Clubs pumping huge sums of money, inflating the player market and gaining an unfair advantage is more my point.

@giorno has made some good points about allowing but regulating spending by club owners. That could be a good option. We should, however, make changes to improve FFP rather than throw it out.

Zen86

But here is the problem. The french league doesn't exist in a vaccum. The growing gap that you are alluding to is for example the one between good french teams and bad PL teams. A team like Brighton that finished just outside the relegation zone got 102m£ while its french equivalent got around 25m€. Brighton received more money than PSG or a better example they got more money than Lyon a club that produces good players at a high rate and has to compete with PL clubs that aren't doing a good job when it comes to actually contributing to Football, they don't play well, they don't produce top players, they don't even generate the money that they receive, they basically receive subsidies from the likes of United, Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea. These PL bottom half clubs are the worst thing for Football, they increased the price and wages of top division average and below average players all around Europe, clubs can't benefit from their academy products for a substantial amount of time because these clubs will make them offers that they can't refuse and FFP has created an environment where some of these non-PL clubs are forced to sell if they want to have access to EL or CL money.

And I'm not suggesting that City or PSG aren't a problem, they are a problem for the big clubs, at the top end of the transfer/wage market and they should be sanctioned if they don't respect the rules that they tacitly agreed to respect. But for everyone else the problem is the fact that clubs have to live in the same market than the PL. Just an example currently you have Giroud a good football player who is at best the third option at Chelsea and played 300 minutes in all competitions, because the PL is in a totally different world financially and can afford his wage while good french clubs can't, Giroud is doing nothing this season.
Oh I fully agree, I detest the growing amount of money and disparity in football full stop. Fans will eventually turn off in the long term if the game continues on it’s current trajectory in my opinion, even if it’s still booming as it stands right now.

Ranchero

Loads of unfilled seats in the empty Etihad for the Man City Prem game tonight against West Ham. It is such a sterile club.

Ranchero

Maybe the west ham supporters bus broke down on the way.
Or maybe the fans are waking up to the fact UEFA have found them guilty of flouting Financial Fair Play rules which means they have cheated their way to their trophies.

Ranchero

Most of them have probably gone down the M62 now it looks like Liverpool are the team to support.
Bugs me that people say City are the proper Manchester side. What a load of guff. Dont see much of Manchester at the Etihad. Cheating (as far as the UEFA judgment goes) wannabes

redshaw

Are you in favour of a European Super League?

Or

Do you want PL money to be spread out more to the top half of the table and top four? How would that affect Giroud at Chelsea if they get even more money while Brighton get less? He's probably still there isn't he or perhaps playing second fiddle in a club in Spain if Chelsea can improve on their second third choice with more money?

This is more and more sounding like anyone but England, I don't remember concern when it's Italy or Spain but perhaps you were but it's all sounding very elitist and snobbish against England and English football. France needs and has the ability to improve much more than Netherlands for example, one way could be attracting more investors to then employ Giroud if you're so upset by this countryman of yours. Now United are sliding down, it's all Pogba Martial, PSG, Ligue 1 posts and sour grapes. Look at yourselves rather than pointing the finger at big bad England.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Bugs me that people say City are the proper Manchester side. What a load of guff. Dont see much of Manchester at the Etihad. Cheating (as far as the UEFA judgment goes) wannabes
I've had to set Peruvians straight on that a few times so the sheikh has stretched his PR team as far as south America which isnt surprising given the quality footballer factories in Brasil and Argentina.

JPRouve

Scout
Are you in favour of a European Super League?

Or

Do you want PL money to be spread out more to the top half of the table and top four? How would that affect Giroud at Chelsea if they get even more money while Brighton get less? He's probably still there isn't he or perhaps playing second fiddle in a club in Spain if Chelsea can improve on their second third choice with more money?

This is more and more sounding like anyone but England, I don't remember concern when it's Italy or Spain but perhaps you were but it's all sounding very elitist and snobbish against England and English football. France needs and has the ability to improve much more than Netherlands for example, one way could be attracting more investors to then employ Giroud if you're so upset by this countryman of yours. Now United are sliding down, it's all Pogba Martial, PSG, Ligue 1 posts and sour grapes. Look at yourselves rather than pointing the finger at big bad England.
That's not the point and it wouldn't be fair to the PL to change things at the confederation level just to make the PL less financially powerful. I'm just pointing to the fact that the system is at large unbalanced because different leagues with different economies compete in the same market for the same pool of players. It's not sour grapes, it's a simple fact that Football isn't fair and has never been, with and without FFP. FFP didn't make it fairer and simply made sure that the ones that already have stay up and your mention of Italy is a good example with the likes of Juventus, Milan and Inter who after decades of sugar daddying found themselves in a position where today, their brands can live without yearly injection of money, even then you want to question some of their deals, Jeep is for example part of Exor, I personally accept that Football isn't fair, if your owner is rich or if your club is in a big city then you are lucky and can be successful, that's fine for me because that's how Football has been since the begin.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I can see the Man City propaganda machine is in full swing. However, when we take a closed look at the facts so far I’m afraid Sheikh Mansour & chums don’t look so innocent.
Der Spiegel have produced internal emails describing how contracts were backdated and illicit sponsorship money was transferred via Ethiad Airways. Not only that, Sheikh Mansour has a history of fiddling the books. In 2012 City were fired €46M for breaching the rules of the FFP.
The only question I ask myself is if the emails were illegally obtained, what impact could have on any investigation in to the wrong doings at Citeh?

Djemba-Djemba

What must Pep be getting paid from off the books off shore dodgy accounts for him to be willing to stay at City even if the ban is upheld?

Must be insane money.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
They are 2nd in the League and the turnout's this poor. Imagine what it would be like if they are in a relegation battle?

jackal&hyde

There seems to be a media "assault" in favor of city coming up with all sorts of excuses. Even from jurnos i respect. I'm sad to see that but i guess when you're guilty and incapable of admitting it you have to fight back in some way, especially when the very point of this investment is sportswashing a tainted image; the irony here is brilliant.

rollingstoned1

Willing to see what? I understand that other clubs want a chance to win and feel like they can't compete with the original top 4. However, allow shady financiers (whether a sheik or PLC) to put clubs in precarious positions isn't the answer. This is what FFP prevent regardless of its true motives.

Furthermore, this doesn't create equality or parity. There are a finite amount of individuals who can fund clubs to the extent of City or PSG. If you allow City to spend without restraint and engage in financial doping, who is to say they won't dominate the league for a decade. Then what exactly happens to the "nobody has a chance" argument?
yes but i feel the reason these owners with moneybags and vanity projects not to mention pr endeavors want to 'blitzkrieg' with money is because growing organically is incredibly hard in a dog eat dog paradigm that is english and european football. you need to spend within means and develop players but there is nothing stopping the bigger fishes from coming and picking you apart every summer thereby setting you back. In theory it sounds dandy but it's much harder to implement in practice. You cannot keep these players happy with just the promise of a 'project'.

LordNinio

I can see the Man City propaganda machine is in full swing. However, when we take a closed look at the facts so far I’m afraid Sheikh Mansour & chums don’t look so innocent.
Der Spiegel have produced internal emails describing how contracts were backdated and illicit sponsorship money was transferred via Ethiad Airways. Not only that, Sheikh Mansour has a history of fiddling the books. In 2012 City were fired €46M for breaching the rules of the FFP.
The only question I ask myself is if the emails were illegally obtained, what impact could have on any investigation in to the wrong doings at Citeh?
I think that's a good question and it'll depend what level CAS work too. UEFA don't need to show the law has been broken, and as such don't need to act in the same way a law system does.

They do need to show the rules set down by UEFA have been broken though. I'm not certain on the stringency needed for such an investigation.

Dunkelheit

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What must Pep be getting paid from off the books off shore dodgy accounts for him to be willing to stay at City even if the ban is upheld?

Must be insane money.
It is a field day for Pep: now he can skip the CL which is ruining his reputation anyway and focus on winning a league with 1 billion investments and look like the best coach in the world. :D

Neo_Mufc

What's going to happen when their squad needs building again? Are they going to go all out and spend premium on players again?

Regardless of what happens with UEFA, part of their model has been exposed. I just can't see how they're going to fund the next project.

Infra-red

What's going to happen when their squad needs building again? Are they going to go all out and spend premium on players again?

Regardless of what happens with UEFA, part of their model has been exposed. I just can't see how they're going to fund the next project.
They have plenty of money and have not, in this instance, been accused of breaching the FFP 'break even' regulations. Their offence is one of dishonesty.

JPRouve

Scout
We all know that after the appeal they're going to get a slap in the wrist and move on.
We do'nt really know that because they are repeat offenders, they already got the slap on the wrist. We are in unchartered territories here.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Are any of these tweets actually true? It's got to the point where I believe nothing I read anymore.

AaronRedDevil

Wait does City get to play in the EL next season? Or are they completely cut from European football.