Manchester City risk of getting CL banned

SER19

I just posted this in another thread, but it's incredibly relevant here. In the ten years between Sir Alex being appointed and the end of the 95/96 season - which finished with United's third title and second double in four years - City spent more money on transfers than we did. They then got relegated... Loads of clubs outspent us on player transfers in the 90s (Blackburn, Liverpool, Newcastle), partly because we were spending so much money redeveloping Old Trafford. The key thing that made us so insanely successful was Sir Alex.

Then money started really flooding the game around the millennium, and we were best placed to hoover it all up and spend it on Juan Sebastian Veron. Only at that point did we start dramatically outspending our rivals (after Leeds went bust, at least), and we were well on our way to becoming England's Bayern.

Then Roman happened, and Abu Dhabi FC is just a further development along the same lines. The fact that Fergie kept us competitive up until his retirement is probably his greatest achievement, but people were so used to us winning at that point that it went mostly unremarked upon how mad it was that we kept winning the league ahead of two clubs with significantly deeper pockets.

edit:

This is a good recent article which demolishes any myth about us buying our success.
Brilliantly put. Not sure why people are so adamant on rewriting history, much less correlating our success with how city have done it. We were out spent by many for much of the 90s then people say oh that's because of the class of 92. Eh, yes exactly. Why would that be a detracting point

How anyone could read that and suppose we are similar to city is just beyond me

padr81

Supports
Man City
Absolutely we had to pay him that much and it was not a free transfer we gave them £42 million pound player also, what else did we have to offer at the time apart from a barrow full of cash. This was caused by your interest and our muppet CEO refusing to lose so sold our soul in one deal.
No you didn't, also Mkhi wasn't a £40m player and was certainly valued lower when he left than when he joined. Didn't you sign him for something like £30m?

Sanchez would have cost City £60m in transfer fee, you gave them Mkhi and offered up way more wages. It's pretty much known you used the money you saved on the transfer to pay his wages (which aren't £500k for what its worth)

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Is there any truth to these pep to Juve rumours?

None, he said this last week

“How many times do I have to say, I’m not going to Juventus?” “I am not going to move to Italy, I’m staying here two more seasons."

“If they want me, I have a contract, I am not going to move and I’m satisfied working here with this club, with these people here and I’m not going anywhere.”

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Has it though? You're a seemingly intelligent and passionate City fan who claims to have lived in Abu Dhabi but seemed oblivious to what they're actually up to. Sure a few Guardian columnists and United fans on here will see through the facade but on the whole I'd say their project is working well for them, especially if you look at global reach.
Because honestly I don't really think it's a major factor in ADUG's ownership of City, despite those Khaldoon quotes. I think Sheikh Mansour bought City as an investment and because he likes football, much like Sheikh Mohammed built Godolphin because he loves horses. If the major objective was sportswashing, then yes I think it's failed. The UAE's image today in the UK is worse than it was in 2008. If the intent was a broader UAE investment play to encourage people to fly on Etihad and travel to the UAE etc., then a simple sponsorship would've been a lot easier and cheaper. There's no doubt that there is much more attention on the UAE in the Western media, including negative publicity, than I can ever remember. Over the past year there's been plenty of negative stories about the justice system in the UAE (which is completely unfit for purpose) when a UK citizen or resident is caught up in it (e.g. Matthew Hedges). Detained in Dubai have been very effective at focusing media attention on the UAE in many of these cases.

I think any criticism of the UAE should be holistic, if the moral issue at hand is the use of sports to sportswash human rights, labour rights violations. If Manchester City are merely a vehicle for sportswashing, then it should also be morally wrong for Emirates to sponsor the FA Cup or Arsenal or Chelsea, or Etihad to sponsor/UAE to host the Abu Dhabi Formula 1 GP, or Godolphin to enter horse races in the UK. I know here some people will draw a distinction between ownership vs. sponsorship, but ultimately does that distinction really matter to an Emirati in prison for speaking about democracy or a Nepalese construction worker who hasn't seen his passport or family in years? You cannot arbitrarily pick and choose. Either it's all sportswashing or none of it is.

Just to be clear again, in no way am I defending the UAE here, and I support negative publicity about the UAE if it can help to improve conditions in the UAE for migrant workers etc. My eyes are open. But I'm cynical about the true intentions of the sportswashing agenda advocates when that agenda is being selectively applied. I don't think it's a coincidence that City threads on this forum or media coverage generally veer pretty quickly towards the UAE and human rights etc. when City win something or win a derby. I think for the most part it's an easy defence mechanism rather than a deeply held moral conviction.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Yet here we are, Manchester City - the most demonstrably corrupt football club operating in top level football today. You've been banned from signing youth players domestically for breaking the rules with unethical practices, you're going to be banned for the same on a global basis by FIFA. You've fallen foul of domestic doping rules and have been exposed of brazenly cheating financial conduct rules that you signed up to. All in the past few years.

All this is compounded by Abu Dhabi being so much more power than the football authorities that meaningful sanctions will never be applied.

Yes, La Liga are looking to feather their own nest and they're certainly not clean in their own practices but City and PSG are a completely different order of magnitude.
The ban for signing domestic youth players is the same one handed down to Everton and Liverpool. I think it's a safe bet that plenty of other clubs have committed similar misdemeanours but have so far gone unpunished. Likewise, Chelsea, Atletico Madrid, Real Madrid, and Barcelona have all received bans from FIFA for misdemeanours in signing players. If City are to receive a similar fate, again we would not be alone in this. The idea that City are some lone force for bad in football while everyone else operates in a world governed by ethics is illusory. It's recent memory that AC Milan and Juventus were found guilty of colluding with match officials. Inter also seemed to be doing it but escaped any punishment. There is a long history of the Spanish state's favourable relations with Real Madrid and Barcelona, and of a domestic system that is so heavily skewed in favour of the elite top two sides that in the long-term their positions at the top are untouchable.

The domestic doping violations hardly seemed to be of any significance, they were all deemed low level and pertained to minor things like not informing the FA of an extra training session or of giving some reserve players a day off. Let's not forget it was United's very own Rio Ferdinand who received a large ban for deliberately missing a test. No smoke without fire, or is that only when it pertains to City?

As for cheating FFP, again let's wait and see what actually comes of this investigation and, if it reaches this stage, of what an independent court declares should City appeal any guilty verdict.

Classical Mechanic

Because honestly I don't really think it's a major factor in ADUG's ownership of City, despite those Khaldoon quotes. I think Sheikh Mansour bought City as an investment and because he likes football, much like Sheikh Mohammed built Godolphin because he loves horses. If the major objective was sportswashing, then yes I think it's failed. The UAE's image today in the UK is worse than it was in 2008. If the intent was a broader UAE investment play to encourage people to fly on Etihad and travel to the UAE etc., then a simple sponsorship would've been a lot easier and cheaper. There's no doubt that there is much more attention on the UAE in the Western media, including negative publicity, than I can ever remember. Over the past year there's been plenty of negative stories about the justice system in the UAE (which is completely unfit for purpose) when a UK citizen or resident is caught up in it (e.g. Matthew Hedges). Detained in Dubai have been very effective at focusing media attention on the UAE in many of these cases.

I think any criticism of the UAE should be holistic, if the moral issue at hand is the use of sports to sportswash human rights, labour rights violations. If Manchester City are merely a vehicle for sportswashing, then it should also be morally wrong for Emirates to sponsor the FA Cup or Arsenal or Chelsea, or Etihad to sponsor/UAE to host the Abu Dhabi Formula 1 GP, or Godolphin to enter horse races in the UK. I know here some people will draw a distinction between ownership vs. sponsorship, but ultimately does that distinction really matter to an Emirati in prison for speaking about democracy or a Nepalese construction worker who hasn't seen his passport or family in years? You cannot arbitrarily pick and choose. Either it's all sportswashing or none of it is.

Just to be clear again, in no way am I defending the UAE here, and I support negative publicity about the UAE if it can help to improve conditions in the UAE for migrant workers etc. My eyes are open. But I'm cynical about the true intentions of the sportswashing agenda advocates when that agenda is being selectively applied. I don't think it's a coincidence that City threads on this forum or media coverage generally veer pretty quickly towards the UAE and human rights etc. when City win something or win a derby. I think for the most part it's an easy defence mechanism rather than a deeply held moral conviction.
I think you are kidding yourself. Hasn't Mansour visited Manchester like once since he's owned the club? Look at what people do not what their propaganda arm like to portray. You have a point on the whole sponsorship issue mind, it is something that should be looked at but is probably to opaque to ever be effectively controlled. That said, ownership is a different order of magnitude to sponsorship. A state owned club is simply too powerful to ever be controlled or made to obey the rules.

The ban for signing domestic youth players is the same one handed down to Everton and Liverpool. I think it's a safe bet that plenty of other clubs have committed similar misdemeanours but have so far gone unpunished. Likewise, Chelsea, Atletico Madrid, Real Madrid, and Barcelona have all received bans from FIFA for misdemeanours in signing players. If City are to receive a similar fate, again we would not be alone in this. The idea that City are some lone force for bad in football while everyone else operates in a world governed by ethics is illusory. It's recent memory that AC Milan and Juventus were found guilty of colluding with match officials. Inter also seemed to be doing it but escaped any punishment. There is a long history of the Spanish state's favourable relations with Real Madrid and Barcelona, and of a domestic system that is so heavily skewed in favour of the elite top two sides that in the long-term their positions at the top are untouchable.

The domestic doping violations hardly seemed to be of any significance, they were all deemed low level and pertained to minor things like not informing the FA of an extra training session or of giving some reserve players a day off. Let's not forget it was United's very own Rio Ferdinand who received a large ban for deliberately missing a test. No smoke without fire, or is that only when it pertains to City?

As for cheating FFP, again let's wait and see what actually comes of this investigation and, if it reaches this stage, of what an independent court declares should City appeal any guilty verdict.
I said that City were the most corrupt force in football 'today', being the operative word. Just because club x has been done for unethical practices does not exonerate City from their run of brazen rule breaking. I haven't read about Everton but the way Liverpool behaved in the case they were done for was disgusting.

As for doping, Pep is practically on fire compared to any suspicion that has ever surrounded United in that regard. Rio may have been doping. I posted in another thread recently that there were rumours around Manchester that he liked the odd recreational line at that time, although they may have just been malicious rumours. That said, that was something like 15 years ago so I'm not sure that relates to my original point.

Treble

One-year ban from the CL is not enough to have a serious impact on City. They will win the PL with easy that season. 3-year ban and we are talking, Some of the stars will probably leave.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
I think you are kidding yourself. Hasn't Mansour visited Manchester like once since he's owned the club? Look at what people do not what their propaganda arm like to portray. You have a point on the whole sponsorship issue mind, it is something that should be looked at but is probably to opaque to ever be effectively controlled. That said, ownership is a different order of magnitude to sponsorship. A state owned club is simply too powerful to ever be controlled or made to obey the rules.
Yes true, he's attended one game vs. Liverpool several years ago. I know he follows all the games but it's obviously not the same as being there in person. Khaldoon, on the other hand, attends regularly.

On sponsorship vs. ownership, it is definitely different and I think the waters are a bit muddied by FFP because obviously for City there's two separate issues: 1) we receive money from a country with a questionable regime; and 2) we use that money to pass FFP and compete, and the ways we have done that are likely directly against FFP or at least against the spirit of them (related parties). Whereas for just a genuine sponsorship, the only issue is with 1). I think most people have more of a problem with 2), in that they don't like City competing and they don't like City breaking FFP to compete. But to avoid accusations of self-interest and anti-competition, they wrap it up and conflate it with 1). I've never seen anyone invoke human rights etc. to disparage Arsenal's Emirates deal, despite Emirates being wholly government owned, because it is seen as a genuine sponsorship and fair market in a way that our Etihad deal is/was not.

At the end of the day, I don't particularly like having ADUG as the owner. I'd much rather our owner was a lifelong Mancunian/City fan and the team was full of academy graduates. But this is modern football sadly, and cash is king if you want to compete.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

“How many times do I have to say, I’m not going to Juventus?” “I am not going to move to Italy, I’m staying here two more seasons."

“If they want me, I have a contract, I am not going to move and I’m satisfied working here with this club, with these people here and I’m not going anywhere.”
The interesting thing was there were a few stories midseason that him to juventus was a signed deal.

Seemed odd as there wasn't even a vacancy. Yet now there is...

But surely he can't say definitely no. Then go?
It is football though. You can't trust anyone

Fluctuation0161

Yes true, he's attended one game vs. Liverpool several years ago. I know he follows all the games but it's obviously not the same as being there in person. Khaldoon, on the other hand, attends regularly.

On sponsorship vs. ownership, it is definitely different and I think the waters are a bit muddied by FFP because obviously for City there's two separate issues: 1) we receive money from a country with a questionable regime; and 2) we use that money to pass FFP and compete, and the ways we have done that are likely directly against FFP or at least against the spirit of them (related parties). Whereas for just a genuine sponsorship, the only issue is with 1). I think most people have more of a problem with 2), in that they don't like City competing and they don't like City breaking FFP to compete. But to avoid accusations of self-interest and anti-competition, they wrap it up and conflate it with 1). I've never seen anyone invoke human rights etc. to disparage Arsenal's Emirates deal, despite Emirates being wholly government owned, because it is seen as a genuine sponsorship and fair market in a way that our Etihad deal is/was not.

At the end of the day, I don't particularly like having ADUG as the owner. I'd much rather our owner was a lifelong Mancunian/City fan and the team was full of academy graduates. But this is modern football sadly, and cash is king if you want to compete.
Liverpool have spent reasonably and are competing. Only Citys finanial doping has made cash king for City, stopping properly run clubs from winning.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Liverpool have spent reasonably and are competing. Only Citys finanial doping has made cash king for City, stopping properly run clubs from winning.
The overall discussion is that the structure of football is distorted towards a few elite clubs at the expense of the competitiveness of the game. I absolutely agree that City's sugar daddy makes that distortion worse. But Liverpool, having been one of the key players working since the 1980s to create that distorted structure, aren't exactly the best example to use.

I'm sure Southampton fans are delighted by Liverpool's reasonable spending by the way. Yes, cash is king.

Verminator

The overall discussion is that the structure of football is distorted towards a few elite clubs at the expense of the competitiveness of the game. I absolutely agree that City's sugar daddy makes that distortion worse. But Liverpool, having been one of the key players working since the 1980s to create that distorted structure, aren't exactly the best example to use.

I'm sure Southampton fans are delighted by Liverpool's reasonable spending by the way. Yes, cash is king.
Why is it only City fans that can't separate self-generated wealth, with astute purchases and sales, from record breaking donations by a wealthy state.
Football will never run in a communist system, but there is something idealistic about a business benefitting from being a well run business.

It isn't money that people have issue with. It is the unfairness of never being able to compete with a bottomless pot of cash.
For an example of how financial constraints are a limiter, LFC and Spurs are outperforming the rich United, by being run better.
Without balancing books, United could buy two teams of internationals rather than playing a handful of Academy graduates.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Why is it only City fans that can't separate self-generated wealth, with astute purchases and sales, from record breaking donations by a wealthy state.
Football will never run in a communist system, but there is something idealistic about a business benefitting from being a well run business.

It isn't money that people have issue with. It is the unfairness of never being able to compete with a bottomless pot of cash.
For an example of how financial constraints are a limiter, LFC and Spurs are outperforming the rich United, by being run better.
Without balancing books, United could buy two teams of internationals rather than playing a handful of Academy graduates.
I can separate it just fine. I will try to make my perspective clearer.

The elite clubs have helped to create a football structure over the past 30 years that concentrates football's revenue more and more closely in the hands of those elite clubs. You mentioned United, Liverpool, and Spurs in your post. All three of those clubs helped to create a system in which it is almost impossible for a non-elite club to break through without huge external investment. So no I don't feel particularly guilty for United, Liverpool, or Spurs fans who complain about City's external investment, because you helped to create the system that required it. City's sugar daddy is a symptom, but not the cause of the modern game. You made the bed, and now you're lying in it. The clubs I feel guilty for are the clubs that haven't been lucky enough to attract external investment, and therefore have no means to break through. I grew up living with that reality. And on that note, it makes me extremely sad to see City now supporting things like the reallocation of international broadcast revenue. We have joined the anti-competition lobby that I despise.

Fully agree with your idealism by the way. I'd absolutely love to move to a structure where at the start of the season all 20 PL clubs genuinely think they have half a chance of winning the league. If you want to ban sugar daddies to help create that structure then I'm 100% on board. But if you want to convince me that your motivation is fairness and competition, then you'll also need to also reform the broader structure of football. You need to do both. A narrow focus on sugar daddies is protectionism not competition.

Fluctuation0161

Safe to say Southampton would have had more chance to finish higher in the league without City's financial doping.

Verminator

I can separate it just fine. I will try to make my perspective clearer.

The elite clubs have helped to create a football structure over the past 30 years that concentrates football's revenue more and more closely in the hands of those elite clubs. You mentioned United, Liverpool, and Spurs in your post. All three of those clubs helped to create a system in which it is almost impossible for a non-elite club to break through without huge external investment. So no I don't feel particularly guilty for United, Liverpool, or Spurs fans who complain about City's external investment, because you helped to create the system that required it. City's sugar daddy is a symptom, but not the cause of the modern game. You made the bed, and now you're lying in it. The clubs I feel guilty for are the clubs that haven't been lucky enough to attract external investment, and therefore have no means to break through. I grew up living with that reality. And on that note, it makes me extremely sad to see City now supporting things like the reallocation of international broadcast revenue. We have joined the anti-competition lobby that I despise.

Fully agree with your idealism by the way. I'd absolutely love to move to a structure where at the start of the season all 20 PL clubs genuinely think they have half a chance of winning the league. If you want to ban sugar daddies to help create that structure then I'm 100% on board. But if you want to convince me that your motivation is fairness and competition, then you'll also need to also reform the broader structure of football. You need to do both. A narrow focus on sugar daddies is protectionism not competition.
I think you misunderstand. The ideal is that clubs spending their earnings will still have inequalities, but which can be overcome or squandered by good or bad management.

The fact that a well supported club like Arsenal is stronger than say Wigan, is fair.
I'm not saying Wigan should receive handouts in order to be competitive.
The only difference in income between say Newcastle and Arsenal, should be what they take at the turnstiles and in sponsorship. The TV rights are fairly divided. If Newcastle finished above Arsenal they'd get marginally more TV money.
The thing I guess you are alluding to is money made from European competitions.
Well Wolves are getting some this year, and if they can build on that, maybe champions league money next year. That is organic growth.

Ironic that you mention Spurs, as they've only just established themselves as top 4, and have done so without spending.

The focus on sugar-daddy clubs is because that is an exclusive club, that can dominate without being well run or well supported.
The money they splash is also inflationary because it is infinite and unrelated to the game.

Would I think differently if I was not a United fan? Well ask the Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs fans. Ask Leicester, who you took Mahrez from, and Chelsea took Kante from.

FujiVice

City only got £8 million more for winning the league than we did finishing 6th. Woodward and the Glazers may not give a feck about ever winning this league considering the bottom line.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think you misunderstand. The ideal is that clubs spending their earnings will still have inequalities, but which can be overcome or squandered by good or bad management.

The fact that a well supported club like Arsenal is stronger than say Wigan, is fair.
I'm not saying Wigan should receive handouts in order to be competitive.
The only difference in income between say Newcastle and Arsenal, should be what they take at the turnstiles and in sponsorship. The TV rights are fairly divided. If Newcastle finished above Arsenal they'd get marginally more TV money.
The thing I guess you are alluding to is money made from European competitions.
Well Wolves are getting some this year, and if they can build on that, maybe champions league money next year. That is organic growth.

Ironic that you mention Spurs, as they've only just established themselves as top 4, and have done so without spending.

The focus on sugar-daddy clubs is because that is an exclusive club, that can dominate without being well run or well supported.
The money they splash is also inflationary because it is infinite and unrelated to the game.

Would I think differently if I was not a United fan? Well ask the Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs fans. Ask Leicester, who you took Mahrez from, and Chelsea took Kante from.
Why is it fair that a club like Southampton does everything the right way, only for richer clubs like Liverpool to profit?

Verminator

Why is it fair that a club like Southampton does everything the right way, only for richer clubs like Liverpool to profit?
Southampton have probably made more money out of Liverpool than they have through 10 years of ticket sales.
Liverpool are only spending the money they made. A lot of that came from Barcelona, which shows, even the giants aren't immune.

Who has taken any of City's first teamers off them?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Southampton have probably made more money out of Liverpool than they have through 10 years of ticket sales.
Liverpool are only spending the money they made. A lot of that came from Barcelona, which shows, even the giants aren't immune.

Who has taken any of City's first teamers off them?
I doubt Southampton fans are watching VVD and Mane thinking, "it's awesome, all the money we made off of them, helped us avoid relegation".

Cutting to the chase, the angst over City and PSG (mostly from fans of traditional big clubs) isn't about making football fair, it's about keeping clubs in their proper place, unless they surmount barriers that on the surface seem reasonable (live off your means) but ignore that a lot of traditional big clubs had non-organic helping hands in the past.

But we've known this since day one.

Football definitely needs more sugar-daddies, in the lack of any real efforts to establish parity.

Fluctuation0161

I doubt Southampton fans are watching VVD and Mane thinking, "it's awesome, all the money we made off of them, helped us avoid relegation".

Cutting to the chase, the angst over City and PSG (mostly from fans of traditional big clubs) isn't about making football fair, it's about keeping clubs in their proper place, unless they surmount barriers that on the surface seem reasonable (live off your means) but ignore that a lot of traditional big clubs had non-organic helping hands in the past.

But we've known this since day one.

Football definitely needs more sugar-daddies, in the lack of any real efforts to establish parity.
Or, more palatable, it need more real effort to establish parity and implement disincentives for financial dopers.

fergiesarmy1

4/6 now with billy hill from 4/1 2 days ago. Don’t be too sure

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
4/6 now with billy hill from 4/1 2 days ago. Don’t be too sure
I remember when SkyBet once had Vidal at 1/16 to join United. If you're looking at bookmakers odds to tell you the likelihood of a transfer happening, you're going to end up just as disappointed as if you read the rumours in the press. Guardiola is 100% not going to Juventus this summer.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I remember when SkyBet once had Vidal at 1/16 to join United. If you're looking at bookmakers odds to tell you the likelihood of a transfer happening, you're going to end up just as disappointed as if you read the rumours in the press. Guardiola is 100% not going to Juventus this summer.
Is it possible to bet on him staying at City, what are those odds?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's easy money for them.

I remember reading some statistic about there being no other profession besides fortune telling that was as often wrong as sports journalists trying to predict results or transfers.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Is it possible to bet on him staying at City, what are those odds?
I've looked but can't find any. SkyBet don't seem to offer their odds on players to stay at the minute, they used to, I've made quite a bit on that in the past because the market is very volatile and reacts to rumours that can have no legitimacy whatsoever. Not sure if they ever used to offer it on managers though and I can't find anywhere that does. @Spiersey any idea mate?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I've looked but can't find any. SkyBet don't seem to offer their odds on players to stay at the minute, they used to, I've made quite a bit on that in the past because the market is very volatile and reacts to rumours that can have no legitimacy whatsoever. Not sure if they ever used to offer it on managers though and I can't find anywhere that does. @Spiersey any idea mate?
Cheers, had a browse myself and found nothing. I'd be tempted to put some money on him staying. In the super unlikely event I'd lose the money, I'd still be kinda amused.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.

Funny thing is, City were the first club in England to pay over £1 million for a player (Kevin Reeves) back in 1980. It was 1987 before we paid in excess of that figure, for Peter Beardsley. & let me just remind you that Southampton are not the only ones who've lost their top players to the richer clubs. Does the name Raheem Sterling ring any bells ? How many key players have you had taken off your hands in recent years ? Key players like Sterling, Suarez, & Coutinho.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
For stuff like that (where it's pretty likely he'll stay) bookies usually don't offer the market for him to remain and will just say 'all bets settled as lost if he remains at City' Skybet and Betvictor usually the best for manager markets I think, if they don't have then I doubt anywhere will.

fergiesarmy1

I once stuck £200 on ranieri becoming city manager at 4/1 because my mate drove him there in a taxi, he was going to get the job but they faffed around and he went to juve instead. Never got involved in this market since then (pretty sure my memory is right on who it was I still have nightmares about it)

fergiesarmy1

For stuff like that (where it's pretty likely he'll stay) bookies usually don't offer the market for him to remain and will just say 'all bets settled as lost if he remains at City' Skybet and Betvictor usually the best for manager markets I think, if they don't have then I doubt anywhere will.
Found 100/1 on him being next united manager if helps :smirk:

Hughie77

For them to put out an official statement, means there worried, them and PSG, are now beginning to get on every club in Europe's nerves, the obvious flouting of rules put in to avoid other clubs getting in financial trouble has to stop somewhere.

Like the fellow from Spain about petrol money as he called it, there sovereign clubs and using money not generated by there own club, like all the others in Europe have to do.

We will see if they do get a ban or get away with it again and again.

fergiesarmy1

For them to put out an official statement, means there worried, them and PSG, are now beginning to get on every club in Europe's nerves, the obvious flouting of rules put in to avoid other clubs getting in financial trouble has to stop somewhere.

Like the fellow from Spain about petrol money as he called it, there sovereign clubs and using money not generated by there own club, like all the others in Europe have to do.

We will see if they do get a ban or get away with it again and again.
The PSG president al khelaifi is under investigation for “active corruption” in track sports, these guys operate under different rules and don’t care if anyone else is playing by the rules as they can buy their way out of it. No one has a chance of a competing long term while they are allowed to do what they want.

Hughie77

The PSG president al khelaifi is under investigation for “active corruption” in track sports, these guys operate under different rules and don’t care if anyone else is playing by the rules as they can buy their way out of it. No one has a chance of a competing long term while they are allowed to do what they want.
This is the issue that needs to be sorted by the right governing body, UEFA , Fifa, premier league etc., but money talks the right back hander to the right person and shh know one will know? Where's there's money there's corruption .

fergiesarmy1

This is the issue that needs to be sorted by the right governing body, UEFA , Fifa, premier league etc., but money talks the right back hander to the right person and shh know one will know? Where's there's money there's corruption .
That is why that europa final is where it is, someone got a nice bonus out of that, similar to Qatar getting the World Cup I guess. It does put me off football some days, usually when I’m watching united but that’s a different issue

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Funny thing is, City were the first club in England to pay over £1 million for a player (Kevin Reeves) back in 1980. It was 1987 before we paid in excess of that figure, for Peter Beardsley. & let me just remind you that Southampton are not the only ones who've lost their top players to the richer clubs. Does the name Raheem Sterling ring any bells ? How many key players have you had taken off your hands in recent years ? Key players like Sterling, Suarez, & Coutinho.
I was talking about structural changes in football that concentrated more revenue in the hands of the elite few. When you make the game about money, I have no sympathy for anyone that gets upset when someone richer comes along. Domestically: end of shared ticket revenue, creation of PL, introduction of PL FFP, re-allocation of international broadcast revenue. Liverpool have been instrumental in every single event I've referenced, each of which has or will lead to greater inequality in the game. You're now at the forefront of pressuring UEFA to re-punish City for breaching UEFA FFP, and your owner is on record as referencing UEFA FFP as a key part of his decision to buy Liverpool? Why? Because he knew it would help to protect Liverpool's position and revenue streams, and ensure his investment was as safe as possible.

Agreed, we've spent ridiculous sums of money since 2008, and we've not sold anyone we didn't want to sell, apart from maybe Boateng. Sane may be added to that list soon. As I said, you made the bed, and now you're lying in it.

fergiesarmy1

I was talking about structural changes in football that concentrated more revenue in the hands of the elite few. When you make the game about money, I have no sympathy for anyone that gets upset when someone richer comes along. Domestically: end of shared ticket revenue, creation of PL, introduction of PL FFP, re-allocation of international broadcast revenue. Liverpool have been instrumental in every single event I've referenced, each of which has or will lead to greater inequality in the game. You're now at the forefront of pressuring UEFA to re-punish City for breaching UEFA FFP, and your owner is on record as referencing UEFA FFP as a key part of his decision to buy Liverpool? Why? Because he knew it would help to protect Liverpool's position and revenue streams, and ensure his investment was as safe as possible.

Agreed, we've spent ridiculous sums of money since 2008, and we've not sold anyone we didn't want to sell, apart from maybe Boateng. Sane may be added to that list soon. As I said, you made the bed, and now you're lying in it.
Re-punish? You’ve broken the rules again and again and again. I think the double payments made to the one manager we know about is as dubious as it gets. Has he even bothered denying it? Pep wouldn’t answer it and god knows how many players have had this arrangement. Why does no one ever seem to want to leave city in their prime, their love for the club? Most homes games have the atmosphere of a wet fart after a curry so it can’t be that. The tradition? Who Shaun goater. The history? That play off final 2 divisions below united while they won the champions league. The last time you won the league pre premiership united won the European cup.

It’s all smokes and mirrors