Manchester United 1999 vs Manchester United 2008 | Poll Added

• Thread starter Deleted member 101472
  • Start date

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrPooni

They didn't dominate us in the group stage yes but we weren't the better side neither, but like most teams at that level of competition they weren't playing at their full potential. Yes we lost Scholes and keane in the final but no one know if their presence would have changed anything in that final.
:lol:
Now you're going to try and argue inserting two of the greatest midfielders of all time, both arguably approaching the height of their powers and in immense form, into the biggest final in our club's history wouldn't have changed anything against a team they'd already beaten twice in the same season?

I am done with this guy :lol:

Last edited:

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
They didn't dominate us in the group stage yes but we weren't the better side neither, but like most teams at that level of competition they weren't playing at their full potential. Yes we lost Scholes and keane in the final but no one know if their presence would have changed anything in that final.

No they aren't the same. The 2008 side was a game of 2 halfs. United dominated the 1st half and Chelsea were much better in the 2nd half with United missing 2 great opportunities to win the game. In the 99 final, bayern were the better team from the start till the end.

No they aren't the same. The 2008 side was a game of 2 halfs. United dominated the 1st half and Chelsea were much better in the 2nd half with United missing 2 great opportunities to win the game. In the 99 final, bayern were the better team from the start till the end.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_UEFA_Champions_League_Final#Statistics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_UEFA_Champions_League_Final#Statistics

Both matches were pretty similar when it came to stats. Both teams hit the post/crossbar many times( Chelsea's extra time chances were crazy ). Also we did have a few half chances vs Bayern - Blomquist.

Deleted member 101472

Think a lot of people forgetting that 50% of one of the greatest midfields of all time was missing for the final

MrPooni

Think a lot of people forgetting that 50% of one of the greatest midfields of all time was missing for the final
No mate, according to this guy:
Yes we lost Scholes and keane in the final but no one know if their presence would have changed anything in that final.
Take from that what you will.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
like most teams at that level of competition they weren't playing at their full potential.
But we were?

Yes we lost Scholes and keane in the final but no one know if their presence would have changed anything in that final.
Keane and Scholes both scored against Bayern in the group stage. Keane, our best player, was at his absolute peak. Scholes although not quite at his own formidable peak was a serious menace and in flying form at that end of the season. You seriously suggesting replacing Butt and Blomqvist with Keane and Scholes might not have prevented Bayern dominating us that night?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
1999. In a one off game i'd take that team over nearly any other you can care to name. Their mentality was something else.

Luke1995

1999. In a one off game i'd take that team over nearly any other you can care to name. Their mentality was something else.
Not trying to turn this thread into another discussion, but... would that 99 team stand a better chance against Pep's Barça than those who played in 2009/2011 ?

Oneunited26

I don't want to lack respect or downplay the achievement of that 1999 side but I think that triumph against Bayern was a peace of lack and good fortune. Like our recent win against Juventus, it was a smash and grab win and if that final was to be replayed, 9 times out of 10 Bayern win that game. They dominated the whole game and we were lucky to reach last minutes with a 1 goal deficit. I never recall the 2008 team being dominated like that apart from the time we met those Spanish cheaters. No team dominated the 2008 side the way Bayern dominated that 1999 side. We struggled to beat Barcelona because they were a very good team with talents such as Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Eto and went on to become one of the best team of the history of football, and that team struggled to put 1 past our 2008 team.

And what Real Madrid are you talking about? Are you living in a parallel universe where we faced and got destroyed by Madrid in 2008?

That trio scored 80%(not quiet sure about the real % here) of the 80 goals we scored in the league that season with Rooney scoring 12 and assistant 10, Tevez 14 goals and 6 assists and Ronaldo with 31 goals and 6 assists. They were an amazing trio which could interchange position and create havoc in the the attack.
The 442 United played was just on paper as in reality during games it'd change into 433 with one winger droping back in midfielder, or into 451. Yes Scholes was getting old but he transform himself into a midfielder maestro and coupled with another Maestro like Carrick, they could cause damage with their incisive passes and could control games with their intelligent. Pretty sure that midfielder could go toe to toe with a midfielder of bulldog in Keane and however was associated to him. Yes they never dominated that Pep Barca, who did? Yes they could be beaten, like every team, even prime Pep Barca could be beaten; Chelsea didn't beat us in the final, what are you talking about? It was a tough game against a great Chelsea team build with great players.

And Don't forget, the 99 side were at their prime with many players reaching their prime years, but that 88 side was still raw and didn't really reach their maximum.

You can only beat what is in front of you, isn't it? That 2008 beat any team and didn't shy against any opponent.

And the reason why I fancy the 2008 is because, like SAF said one day, attack wins you games but defense wins you titles, and that side had an amazing attack and very strong solid defense. That attacking trio is one of the best in the history of PL and I'm pretty sure they could put 4 past Peter and cause more troubles to Stam and Ronny, and I fancy Rio and Vidic to deal and contain York and Cole easily.
One of the strongest point of that 99 side was his wingers but that is exactly what the 08 side were trained to deal against, the tactic was based on essentially trying to overload the midfield when defend forcing the opponent to go through wings where he'd struggle to beat the FB and put crosses and he succeed to do so, no problem Rio and Vidic were their to deal against any aerial ball.
If you actually read my post right instead of trying to prove how badly you getting your posts wrong, Barcelona got destroyed by a very mediocre Real Madrid side that 2008 united side parked the bus.

Again you going on about how great Rio and vidic could contain York and Cole, with a very aging midfield, this united side managed to break down defences like bayern and arsenal who were had well drilled or even more well drilled than the 2008 united side, that Bayern side would overrun 2008 united side because our midfield in 08 was the clubs weakest position. Through sheer power that Bayern side would get the best of the 2008 united team, because of the midfield

Again for you to type there with a straight face that the 2008 united team could contain and dominate what I call a very high pressing united side with one of the greatest midfield’s of all time, against an ageing midfield of 08, the midfield wins the battle who’s 99 strength comes from one of the strongest spines the club has ever had, Pete, stam, Johnson, Keane, scholes, York, Cole. But sorry to break it to you Ronaldo Rooney tevez has a trio were not that good, it wasn’t no Henry, messi and stop. I argue beckham, yorke and Cole were a better trio not to even add Keane, scholes and giggs with Neville and Irwin roaming, that is a world class team all in their prime. Someone asked me 99 yorke and Cole, or 08 Rooney and tevez, give me the former. United just had an overall better and more verity in attack, and pound for pound 99 had more match winners like Keane, Scholes, beckham, giggs, York, cole, solkjaer and sheringham, hell irwin was out penalty taker. Ronaldo was 75% scoring the goals, take him out there is allot of goals missing

You say attack wins you games, again well drilled sides in 99 all fell victim to the treble winners. You say you can only beat what’s in front of you, check out the players that 99 side came up against, not to mention the teams, shall we go through the list? Rivaldo, figo, zidane, David’s, Petit, vierra, overmars, Owen, zola, Fowler, Anelka, the arsenal back line, the Bayern backline, juve, inter, Barcelona, Bayern, Arsenal, you calling the ultimate of acid tests, if any midfield of that time was weak you will be caught out, that’s how strong the competition was esp in Europe

Not trying to turn this thread into another discussion, but... would that 99 team stand a better chance against Pep's Barça than those who played in 2009/2011 ?
I think Barca would maybe win that one, but what the 99 side had the 08 never had, a strong midfield, so they would have the tools to make a better go of it against xavi and insista etc, but that Barca side were something else

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yes. They'd still lose in 2011, but they'd make barca work harder for it. They might just nick a win in 2009. A matter of mentality. The 08 side was actually the better team

LoveFootball

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_UEFA_Champions_League_Final#Statistics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_UEFA_Champions_League_Final#Statistics

Both matches were pretty similar when it came to stats. Both teams hit the post/crossbar many times( Chelsea's extra time chances were crazy ). Also we did have a few half chances vs Bayern - Blomquist.
Stats don't tell you all the truth about a specific game.

Now you're going to try and argue inserting two of the greatest midfielders of all time, both arguably approaching the height of their powers and in immense form, into the biggest final in our club's history wouldn't have changed anything against a team they'd already beaten twice in the same season?

I am done with this guy :lol:
1999 Scholes wasn't one of the greatest midfielder of all time, only late on his career he earned that status. And we didn't beat Bayern that season.

We know that, but no one can predict what could have happened with Keane in that side, his presence could have gone in both positive or negative way.

But we were?

Keane and Scholes both scored against Bayern in the group stage. Keane, our best player, was at his absolute peak. Scholes although not quite at his own formidable peak was a serious menace and in flying form at that end of the season. You seriously suggesting replacing Butt and Blomqvist with Keane and Scholes might not have prevented Bayern dominating us that night?
We weren't, that's the reason why I don't take seriously the group stage games. Spurs beat and humiliated Madrid in the group stage but Madrid went on to win the competition.
Both Scholes and Keane scored maybe, but it was still group stage games in which we even didn't win. The final was another game thought.

@Oneunited26
So was the 2008's mentality.

So you're telling me that you prefer to pick a trio of York, Cole and Beckham over Ronaldo and Rooney two generational talent who went on to break goal records and were among the best players in the history of football scoring insane numbers of goals, and Tevez one of the best strikers who lighted the PL? Let me tell you one truth, out of United fans nobody really talk about York and Cole as some amazing players, they were some good players who played for United, like Saha or Chicharito, they didn't take the league in strom like ROnaldo and Rooney did.

You're downplaying the 2008 defense ignoring the fact they are quoted among the best defensive partnership of the history the PL, with Rio being in contest of being the best defender of the PL history, a defensive organisation which established the record of clean sheet in the PL and was rock solid in the CL with many teams struggling to put one past VDS.

Then you went on to downplay the 08 midfielder ignoring the fact that Scholes was at his best in 2008 and established himself as one the best md in the world; he was partnered with Carrick a midfielder maestro who most doubted because he wasn't a bulldog like keane but went on to win the respect of every football fan around the world. Give me a midfielder partnership of Scholes-Carrick over keane-Scholes and I'd dominate the league everyday of the year.

Let's do it like this, compare them player by player:

SChmeichel = VDS
Neville = Brown
Stam and Ronny < Rio and Vidic
Irwin < Evra
Keane <= Carrick
99 Scholes < 08 Scholes
Ronaldo > Becham
Rooney > York
Tevez > Cole
99 Giggs = 08 Giggs ( Giggs transition himself from a great winger into a great winger-md hybrid and was instrumental to our team)
99 SAF < 08 SAF.

Blomqvist < Fletcher
Butt < Hargreaves
99 PL < 08 PL
99 CL < 08 CL

By talent, management and the level of competition alone, the 2008 side win hands up. By sentiments and nostalgia they are almost at the same level. It's madness to think York and Cole are better than Ronaldo and Rooney, and nobody apart from deluded United fans can think so. Keane? a great United legend for United fans, another player in the eyes of football community.

Last edited:

LoveFootball

Yes. They'd still lose in 2011, but they'd make barca work harder for it. They might just nick a win in 2009. A matter of mentality. The 08 side was actually the better team
That 1999 were tactically very naive and would have opened spaces in the back trying to attack and Barcelona would have punished them. That game would go the same way as Mourinho's 1st classico. If a tactically mature and developed SAF with an amazing 2009 squad with a tones of talent couldn't beat them, I wonder what a massacre it'd be if a 99 SAF had to face that Pep's Barca.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

1999 Scholes wasn't one of the greatest midfielder of all time, only late on his career he earned that status. And we didn't beat Bayern that season.

We know that, but no one can predict what could have happened with Keane in that side, his presence could have gone in both positive or negative way.

We weren't, that's the reason why I don't take seriously the group stage games. Spurs beat and humiliated Madrid in the group stage but Madrid went on to win the competition.
Both Scholes and Keane scored maybe, but it was still group stage games in which we even didn't win. The final was another game thought.

@Oneunited26

So you're telling me that you prefer to pick a trio of York, Cole and Beckham over Ronaldo and Rooney two generational talent who went on to break goal records and were among the best players in the history of football scoring insane numbers of goals, and Tevez one of the best strikers who lighted the PL? Let me tell you one truth, out of United fans nobody really talk about York and Cole as some amazing players, they were some good players who played for United, like Saha or Chicharito, they didn't take the league in strom like ROnaldo and Rooney did.

You're downplaying the 2008 defense ignoring the fact they are quoted among the best defensive partnership of the history the PL, with Rio being in contest of being the best defender of the PL history, a defensive organisation which established the record of clean sheet in the PL and was rock solid in the CL with many teams struggling to put one past VDS.

Then you went on to downplay the 08 midfielder ignoring the fact that Scholes was at his best in 2008 and established himself as one the best md in the world; he was partnered with Carrick a midfielder maestro who most doubted because he wasn't a bulldog like keane but went on to win the respect of every football fan around the world. Give me a midfielder partnership of Scholes-Carrick over keane-Scholes and I'd dominate the league everyday of the year.

SChmeichel = VDS
Neville = Brown
Irwin < Evra
Keane <= Carrick
99 Scholes < 08 Scholes
Ronaldo > Becham
Rooney > York
Tevez > Cole
99 Giggs = 08 Giggs ( Giggs transition himself from a great winger into a great winger-md hybrid and was instrumental to our team)
99 SAF < 08 SAF.

Blomqvist < Fletcher
Butt < Hargreaves
99 PL < 08 PL
99 CL < 08 CL

By talent, management and the level of competition alone, the 2008 side win hands up. By sentiments and nostalgia they are almost at the same level. It's madness to think York and Cole are better than Ronaldo and Rooney, and nobody apart from deluded United fans can think so. Keane? a great United legend for United fans, another player in the eyes of football community.
Are you seriously saying Carrick was the equal or better than Keane?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
has to be 1999 - we pretty much had 15-16 first XI players! won the european cup without scholes and keane

Oneunited26

@Oneunited26

SChmeichel = VDS
Neville = Brown
Irwin < Evra
Keane <= Carrick
99 Scholes < 08 Scholes
Ronaldo > Becham
Rooney > York
Tevez > Cole
99 SAF < 08 SAF.

Blomqvist < Fletcher
Butt < Hargreaves
99 PL < 08 PL
99 CL < 08 CL

So let’s get this straight 99 vs 08, they both play a flat 4411, you saying Carrick scholes Ronaldo and giggs can get the better prime Keane scholes beckham and giggs taking into consideration that 08 united midfield had 2 ageing midfielders, Carrick who is very slow, Ronaldo who doesn’t really track back could beat that midfield. And this is where you overrate Rooney and tevez, it’s gone on record Ferdinand called tevez one of the worst players on the training ground. Again you going on about how great Rooney and tevez are, not considering the fact York and Cole together almost shared 60 goals between them, to Rooney and tevez’s weak 30 goals between them

You can’t be taken serious at all if you type there saying Carrick scholes ages 29 to 34 can get the better of prime Keane and scholes, when they couldn’t even get the better of Chelsea 08 midfield. oh I am downplaying the ageing united midfield, when the 99 midfield is far superior, because that it is an ageing united midfield who struggled against weaker teams than the 99 midfield. Scholes was at his best in 2006/07 season, not 07/08, scholes always had good and bad games that year because of his age, 99 scholes you could play him week in week out because he could score you goals and he was allot quicker and potent. If 2008 united fergie put a flat midfield 4 like he did in 08 against a midfield 4 of Keane scholes beckham giggs 08 it would be suicide, that is just a reality when one midfield is younger, quicker and can press and really stretch you.

Why am I downplaying the 2008 united midfield it’s simple, Keane and scholes have faced the best midfields, they went up against prime vierra and petit, prime zidane, they faced a Bayern side that could physically bully sides, so if you want to use organisation I can use arsenal and Bayern Munich, esp the latter. So if they can go toe to toe with petit and vierra, the heart beat of the french World Cup winning team, and they did it with 10 men, then they can beat the 2008 united side, why? Because they have beat the very best, and I don’t recall struggling against an Avram grant Chelsea side very impressive, when united best one of greatest Bayern sides with Keane and scholes missing, Avram grant managed to beat the 2008 united side let’s not forget lol and I thought 08 was unstoppable in your eyes

Next you be saying carrick and Scholes ages 29 to 33 is better than prime Pettit and vierra who have won a World Cup lol. You need to ask yourself, could the 08 side beat 99 Bayern? I don’t think they can because of the midfield, it’s too slow to beat the very very best, 08 came at the right time, but put them up against a world class midfield I think they would lose, you can’t play scholes and Carrick against a world class midfield, they would be found out

Last edited:

Web of Bissaka

Quick ans -- yes.

Key reason? That 99 team had a unique winning mentality, which I just can't see anywhere else.
The many teams they faced until and including the final shouldn't be underestimated, and the 99 squad proved they can beat 'em all.

That said, I'll be frank. I think SAF got his tactics wrong for his 2008/9 team in that Rome 2009 Finale which doesn't help, doesn't matter if we lack a key option as Barca also had key options missing. Our players that time could have done better too and give a much better bloody fight, I mean it's not like the 1999 team midfield for that 1999 final game is impressive either yet they kept on attack, attack, attacks till the final mins and stole a magic win, superb effort and belief.

Just imo.

el3mel

2009, don't know, most probably no.

2011, hell yes, away from the result.

LoveFootball

So let’s get this straight 99 vs 08, they both play a flat 4411, you saying Carrick scholes Ronaldo and giggs can get the better prime Keane scholes beckham and giggs taking into consideration that 08 united midfield had 2 ageing midfielders, Carrick who is very slow, Ronaldo who doesn’t really track back could beat that midfield. And this is where you overrate Rooney and tevez, it’s gone on record Ferdinand called tevez one of the worst players on the training ground. Again you going on about how great Rooney and tevez are, not considering the fact York and Cole together almost shared 60 goals between them, to Rooney and tevez’s weak 30 goals between them

You can’t be taken serious at all if you type there saying Carrick scholes ages 29 to 34 can get the better of prime Keane and scholes, when they couldn’t even get the better of Chelsea 08 midfield. oh I am downplaying the ageing united midfield, when the 99 midfield is far superior, because that it is an ageing united midfield who struggled against weaker teams than the 99 midfield. Scholes was at his best in 2006/07 season, not 07/08, scholes always had good and bad games that year because of his age, 99 scholes you could play him week in week out because he could score you goals and he was allot quicker and potent. If 2008 united fergie put a flat midfield 4 like he did in 08 against a midfield 4 of Keane scholes beckham giggs 08 it would be suicide, that is just a reality when one midfield is younger, quicker and can press and really stretch you.

Why am I downplaying the 2008 united midfield it’s simple, Keane and scholes have faced the best midfields, they went up against prime vierra and petit, prime zidane, they faced a Bayern side that could physically bully sides, so if you want to use organisation I can use arsenal and Bayern Munich, esp the latter. So if they can go toe to toe with petit and vierra, the heart beat of the french World Cup winning team, and they did it with 10 men, then they can beat the 2008 united side, why? Because they have beat the very best, and I don’t recall struggling against an Avram grant Chelsea side very impressive, when united best one of greatest Bayern sides with Keane and scholes missing, Avram grant managed to beat the 2008 united side let’s not forget lol and I thought 08 was unstoppable in your eyes

Next you be saying carrick and Scholes ages 29 to 33 is better than prime Pettit and vierra who have won a World Cup lol. You need to ask yourself, could the 08 side beat 99 Bayern? I don’t think they can because of the midfield, it’s too slow to beat the very very best, 08 came at the right time, but put them up against a world class midfield I think they would lose, you can’t play scholes and Carrick against a world class midfield, they would be found out
In 2008 Carrick was 27. 33 year old Paul Scholes was better than a young version of him, even the great Barcelona side targeted Scholes as the most dangerous player. That midfielder went on to dominate world football the way 99 side could only dream of. The 2008 side produced a ballon d'or after almost half a century at United, an United best scorer, a best defender of the PL and more other talents.

You are talking about speed as if it's the most important thing for a midfielder; Zidane, Xavi, Pirlo were not quick but dominated world football. I know English fans love strong, quick and physical players, reason why Lampard and Gerrard were seen as better than Scholes. People on here cry because Carrick and Scholes were underrated because they were different from the stereotype of british/english midfielder yet you are here guilty of doing the same. Pep Guardiola is one of the best managers in the history of football, and I'm sure if given the choice between prime Carrick and prime Keane or 99 Scholes and 08 Scholes, I know who'll pick.

You're talking about great opponents that that 99 side faced as if Chelsea between 2005 and 2010 were not as stronger as those sides or even better. Even Liverpool under Benitez were much stronger than most of the team in 1999.
About York, Cole and Beckham vs Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez, go on a different platform or talk with non British fans and ask them who they'd prefer and you get a real view on the current level that separate them. Seriously who can prefer York and Cole over Ronaldo and Rooney? A ballon d'or winner who broke the record of goals in England and the guy who hold United record for goals vs 2 nobodies in world football? seriously. Never heard people talk about York and Cole apart from United fans. We're guilty of overrating that 99 side; they were a great side yes but not at the point we think they are.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Tactically naive... What the feck. Up there with moral victories when talking about football.

Sure, we didn't win the game but we sure weren't tactically naive siree.

Reiliano

I've seen it all. People claiming Carrick is a better player than Keane and Keane might have had a negative effect on a final. WTF

Keane came up trumps against a doped up Zidane, David's & Conte midfield, one of the best ever, battered players like Simeone and Stefan Effenberg in 99.

Yorke and Cole were only good players like saha and chicarito is possibly the stupidest thing I've ever read

Roy Keane was a force of nature, even better than Bryan Robson, if I could pick one past player to play for us now it would be Keane.

Yorke and Cole weren't good players, they were great players in 99 as were Teddy and Ole. Kdb is regarded as a world class player in today's premier league but Beckham in 99 shits all over him and Becks probably should have won the ballon dor in 99

Last edited:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
In 2008 Carrick was 27. 33 year old Paul Scholes was better than a young version of him, even the great Barcelona side targeted Scholes as the most dangerous player. That midfielder went on to dominate world football the way 99 side could only dream of. The 2008 side produced a ballon d'or after almost half a century at United, an United best scorer, a best defender of the PL and more other talents.

You are talking about speed as if it's the most important thing for a midfielder; Zidane, Xavi, Pirlo were not quick but dominated world football. I know English fans love strong, quick and physical players, reason why Lampard and Gerrard were seen as better than Scholes. People on here cry because Carrick and Scholes were underrated because they were different from the stereotype of british/english midfielder yet you are here guilty of doing the same. Pep Guardiola is one of the best managers in the history of football, and I'm sure if given the choice between prime Carrick and prime Keane or 99 Scholes and 08 Scholes, I know who'll pick.

You're talking about great opponents that that 99 side faced as if Chelsea between 2005 and 2010 were not as stronger as those sides or even better. Even Liverpool under Benitez were much stronger than most of the team in 1999.
About York, Cole and Beckham vs Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez, go on a different platform or talk with non British fans and ask them who they'd prefer and you get a real view on the current level that separate them. Seriously who can prefer York and Cole over Ronaldo and Rooney? A ballon d'or winner who broke the record of goals in England and the guy who hold United record for goals vs 2 nobodies in world football? seriously. Never heard people talk about York and Cole apart from United fans. We're guilty of overrating that 99 side; they were a great side yes but not at the point we think they are.
While I can see what you are saying and can agree with some of it, please tell me you aren't saying prime Carrick was better than prime Keane (or even that Pep would pick Carrick ahead of Keane).

MrPooni

Oh come on, you say that like Beckham didn't come second to Rivaldo in that season's Ballon d'Or. Personally I feel he should have won.

Last edited:

Oneunited26

While I can see what you are saying and can agree with some of it, please tell me you aren't saying prime Carrick was better than prime Keane (or even that Pep would pick Carrick ahead of Keane).
Apparently prime Keane and Scholes who got the better of prime zidane and David’s, prime vierra and petit 3 of the four who were part of the 1998 World Cup winning France team, the prime Bayern team that went on to win the European cup two years later, can’t get the better of a flat 442 08 side containing carrick and ageing scholes who was even more prone to bad tackling because of age. If prime Keane and scholes can take on prime petit and vierra, but some cannot take on a much slower engine room, well that makes sense hahahhaa

Irwin99

I’ve said I’d (just about) pick the 08 team but the Carrick vs Keane parts of this thread are bizzare. I am a huge fan of Carrick and his 12-13 season was up there with the best of our midfielders, but come on, Keane was a much better player. I Don’t think there’s one attribute that you could say Carrick was stronger than Roy. Rooney only played with Keane for one year when he was past his best and still said Keane was the best passer he’s played in terms of getting the ball to the forwards feet.

Also bear in mind Carrick didn’t dominate games like he didn’t later in his career and there was never any outright shock if either he or Scholes didn’t play. Anderson and Hargreaves were preferred in big matches against Liverpool and Arsenal away and no one raised an eyebrow at that selection. Keane on the other hand was vital.

A better match up is Irwin vs Evra or VdS vs Schmeichel. Arguments could me made for both sides for these ones.

MadDogg

Apparently prime Keane and Scholes who got the better of prime zidane and David’s, prime vierra and petit 3 of the four who were part of the 1998 World Cup winning France team, the prime Bayern team that went on to win the European cup two years later, can’t get the better of a flat 442 08 side containing carrick and ageing scholes who was even more prone to bad tackling because of age. If prime Keane and scholes can take on prime petit and vierra, but some cannot take on a much slower engine room, well that makes sense hahahhaa
To be fair, Scholes wasn't at his prime in 99. He didn't reach his peak until a few years after the rest of that famous class, and in 99 he was still rotating fairly evenly with Butt. I'd definitely pick 06/07 Scholes ahead of the 98/99 version as well, particularly in a two man midfield.

A better match up is Irwin vs Evra or VdS vs Schmeichel. Arguments could me made for both sides for these ones.
Both Irwin and especially Schmeichel were past their best by that stage, so Evra and VDS win that one.

POF

I liked the 1999 team better. 2008 was a more pragmatic team, built on a top class defence and individual attacking quality. The 1999 team was all about the team, was built on a midfield to dominate games and was very open at the back.

The style of the teams really was a reflection of Fergie becoming more experienced and pragmatic over the years.

I think the 1999 team would win because they would absolutely dominate the midfield. It was a real weak link in the 2008 team. You would worry about Ronaldo vs Neville though. Either way, it would be an incredible game.

Gazza

That 1999 team found a way to win whatever happened. Look at the teams they had to play in the CL and FA cup. They were tested to the full and always had answers. The way they played also satisfies the United epic romantic style.

Irwin99

Both Irwin and especially Schmeichel were past their best by that stage, so Evra and VDS win that one.
I’m inclined to go with that too but although his early season form was dire, Schmeichel put in some great displays in our biggest matches , particularly Juve,Inter and Arsenal.

Evra was great in 2008 and just shades it for me, but even at 33 Irwin was still one of the best full backs in England. Career wise it’s an interesting battle too. Evra had more attacking threat but Irwin was ridiculously consistent defensively.

LoveFootball

In my preference, yes, I'd prefer prime Carrick than Keane as he offers specifics qualities that are vitals to modern football. To get an idea of who Pep would prefer in his team, just compare Busquet with Keane and then imagine who he'd prefer to have in his team. The most best quality of Keane was his aggression, he had little football qualities, basically a better version of Mark Nobles. So excuse me if it's blasphemous but I'd prefer Carrick over keane in my ideal team. Keane wasn't even the best in his post in England, Viera was the better player.

Oh come on, you say that like Beckham didn't come second to Rivaldo in that season's Ballon d'Or. Personally I feel he should have won.
Ballon d'Or
He comes second, not won it? Nuance. Even if he had won it, that doesn't make him close to Ronaldo, he's not even half the player Ronaldo was. Beckham was more a celebrity than a great player; he was like Lingard in regard to there football career, too much advertising in medias and little football qualities.

MadDogg

In my preference, yes, I'd prefer prime Carrick than Keane as he offers specifics qualities that are vitals to modern football. To get an idea of who Pep would prefer in his team, just compare Busquet with Keane and then imagine who he'd prefer to have in his team. The most best quality of Keane was his aggression, he had little football qualities, basically a better version of Mark Nobles. So excuse me if it's blasphemous but I'd prefer Carrick over keane in my ideal team. Keane wasn't even the best in his post in England, Viera was the better player.
I'm curious how old you are, because you seem to be rating Keane based on what the media focus on. The reality is that Keane was an extremely good passer of the ball who was brilliant at controlling the team around. Carrick was a better long passer, but I'd give Keane the edge in pretty much every other aspect (and I was always a huge Carrick fan). The aggression and leadership that he had was the icing on the cake. You saying he had little football qualities and only focusing on the aggression tells me you didn't actually watch him much yourself.

He was also better than Vieira, although that is closer. Vieira spent pretty much his entire career playing next to another defensive midfielder; the only time he was expected to do that role himself he struggled quite a bit. Keane managed to be the only defensive midfielder and the main man controlling his team around (in a team that was best in the country and one of the best in the world) in a way I can't think of another player doing in the last 20 years.

He comes second, not won it? Nuance. Even if he had won it, that doesn't make him close to Ronaldo, he's not even half the player Ronaldo was. Beckham was more a celebrity than a great player; he was like Lingard in regard to there football career, too much advertising in medias and little football qualities.
Beckham like Lingard. :lol: You really do base everything off what the media says.

LoveFootball

I'm curious how old you are, because you seem to be rating Keane based on what the media focus on. The reality is that Keane was an extremely good passer of the ball who was brilliant at controlling the team around. Carrick was a better long passer, but I'd give Keane the edge in pretty much every other aspect (and I was always a huge Carrick fan). The aggression and leadership that he had was the icing on the cake. You saying he had little football qualities and only focusing on the aggression tells me you didn't actually watch him much yourself.

He was also better than Vieira, although that is closer. Vieira spent pretty much his entire career playing next to another defensive midfielder; the only time he was expected to do that role himself he struggled quite a bit. Keane managed to be the only defensive midfielder and the main man controlling his team around (in a team that was best in the country and one of the best in the world) in a way I can't think of another player doing in the last 20 years.

Beckham like Lingard. :lol: You really do base everything off what the media says.
Again this thing about age. I watched keane for a long time to assess my view on him. He was a good passer of the ball, not a great one and his passing have been overrated by United fans. You'll struggle to find, outside of United and British circle, a set of people who'll place him among the best midfielders.
He's just another case of United fans exaggerating and overrating their players qualities to feel comfortable with themselves. Nowhere you'll find Keane being talked among the greatest. The bit about him being better than Viera just prove your bias as an United fan; no other people outside of United fans can put Keane over Viera.

And about Beckham, not I didn't base everything on media narrative, my proper view on him was enough. Again Beckham was a good player who happened to have had a good 99 season, nothing else. Do you really think that his celebrity was up to his talent? The guy was more popular than the like of Ronaldo R9, Giggs, Cantona, Zidane, Del Pioro, Rivaldo,...basically more than any footballer at the time. Can you say that his talent matched his celebrity?
Let me ask you one thing, if given the choice between Beckham and Rivaldo, who'd you prefer to have in your team? Even SAF deemed him not that irreplaceable and sold him for peanuts, and God knows how he was known for fighting to keep his best players.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

:lol::lol::lol:

This is officially one of the worst post in car history and we've seen some serious shit posts.

MadDogg

Again this thing about age. I watched keane for a long time to assess my view on him. He was a good passer of the ball, not a great one and his passing have been overrated by United fans. You'll struggle to find, outside of United and British circle, a set of people who'll place him among the best midfielders.
He's just another case of United fans exaggerating and overrating their players qualities to feel comfortable with themselves. Nowhere you'll find Keane being talked among the greatest. The bit about him being better than Viera just prove your bias as an United fan; no other people outside of United fans can put Keane over Viera.
lol. At the time that they played most people, even most Arsenal fans I knew, rated Keane ahead of Vieira. As more and more time has passed this has changed because of the media pushing that narrative of Keane being nothing but an aggressive beast. This is a man who consistently dominated every top midfielder who he came up against - including Vieira himself. He didn't do this just with aggression.

And about Beckham, not I didn't base everything on media narrative, my proper view on him was enough. Again Beckham was a good player who happened to have had a good 99 season, nothing else. Do you really think that his celebrity was up to his talent? The guy was more popular than the like of Ronaldo R9, Giggs, Cantona, Zidane, Del Pioro, Rivaldo,...basically more than any footballer at the time. Can you say that his talent matched his celebrity?
Let me ask you one thing, if given the choice between Beckham and Rivaldo, who'd you prefer to have in your team? Even SAF deemed him not that irreplaceable and sold him for peanuts, and God knows how he was known for fighting to keep his best players.
You are making the mistake of mistaking his celebrity status with how he is actually rated in the football community. Yes, of course his world-wide celebrity status is higher than his football ability warrants, considering he is the most famous footballer of all time. But then people do exactly what you are doing - feel he is overrated and proceed to massively underrate him. The reality is that he had a three year period (99-01) where he was truly one of the best players in the world. After that he dropped off a bit but he still remained a very good player. To compare him to Lingard is laughable. He was comfortably better than any player we have in our team right now, with only Pogba (and possibly but unlikely Martial) having the ability to reach that level.

T_Model101

Beckham's transfer fee was the highest of any player in football the year we sold him
I remember Barca offered more but he was set on Madrid

Spoony

The People's President
1999. Keane, Scholes, Giggs and Beckham trumps 08. Also winning against that Juve side in Turin was breathtaking - our greatest win ever?

MrPooni

I actually find myself looking forward to your replies now because of how hilariously absurd they're getting. David Beckham was just a shitty albeit more popular version of Jesse Lingard and Roy Keane was simply proto-Mark Noble.

MrPooni

I'm curious how old you are, because you seem to be rating Keane based on what the media focus on.
For reference @LoveFootball is listed as 29 which would have made him like 10 or 11 around 1999 and judging by his posts I'm confident he wasn't even following United at the time anyway. In all his weird defensive posts about his age he's skirted around the issue by saying "I [technically] was old enough to have watched the 99 team live" and tries to prop up all us ridiculous arguments with rubbish like "I studied [X] closely" i.e. "I watched a couple of grainy YouTube videos once."

Last edited:

LoveFootball

Beckham's transfer fee was the highest of any player in football the year we sold him
I remember Barca offered more but he was set on Madrid
Zidane went from Juventus to Real for double the amount Madrid paid us for Beckham and that 2 years ago. One of the complaints of United fans is that we sold him to Madrid for very small fee.

lol. At the time that they played most people, even most Arsenal fans I knew, rated Keane ahead of Vieira. As more and more time has passed this has changed because of the media pushing that narrative of Keane being nothing but an aggressive beast. This is a man who consistently dominated every top midfielder who he came up against - including Vieira himself. He didn't do this just with aggression.
It always this story about the media crusade against United, right? Those fecking media always underrating our best players; it has nothing to do about how the world view them as players, hein? First it was Scholes, then Carrick and now Keane being underrated by media. For Scholes I accepted he was massively underrated by British medias, but Keane? Keane is one of the most overrated player, the english media made him great.
Yes he sometimes got the best of Viera but he mostly achieved this by kicking the shit out of him then by pure football skills or talent; Keane vs Vieira was seen like "who'd be physically stronger than the other" in the point of view of british fans, and mostly Viera football qualities were overlooked. PL was a physically competition at that time and maybe Keane got the best of Viera because of that. But Viera was the better player and would be prefer by more modern managers than Keane who'be preferred by the like of Mourinho or Pullis for the physical side of his game.
Let me give you an example of some players who use their physicality and aggression to look better : Henderson, Milner, Mark Nobles, Steven Gerrard, Fellaini, Zlatan, Drogba, that Liverpool defender (I forgot the name) who wanted to fight Cantona in a game were cantona scored a penalty at Anfield, ... and many others. Those kind of players can look good in the PL but would struggle in a more technical league.

You are making the mistake of mistaking his celebrity status with how he is actually rated in the football community. Yes, of course his world-wide celebrity status is higher than his football ability warrants, considering he is the most famous footballer of all time. But then people do exactly what you are doing - feel he is overrated and proceed to massively underrate him. The reality is that he had a three year period (99-01) where he was truly one of the best players in the world. After that he dropped off a bit but he still remained a very good player. To compare him to Lingard is laughable. He was comfortably better than any player we have in our team right now, with only Pogba (and possibly but unlikely Martial) having the ability to reach that level.
Sorry I didn't mean Lingard is as good as was Beckham, not surely Beckham was miles better than Lingard is. What I meant is that like Lingard, he was more famous than his football talent suggested. And i don't agree he was one the best player at anytime apart from the 99 seasons were he really had an outstanding season on his standard.
And I actually think Martial is better than Beckham, just one played in a functioning team and the other is suffering under a manager who has no business being part of football let alone managing a club like Manchester United.

I actually find myself looking forward to your replies now because of how hilariously absurd they're getting. David Beckham was just a shitty albeit more popular version of Jesse Lingard and Roy Keane was simply proto-Mark Noble.
I know sometimes truth heart sometimes they make you laugh because

For reference @LoveFootball is listed as 29 which would have made him like 10 or 11 around 1999 and judging by his posts I'm confident he wasn't even following United at the time. In all his weird defensive posts about his age he's skirted around the issue by saying "I (technically) was old enough to have watched the 99 team live" and tries to prop up all us ridiculous arguments with rubbish like "I studied (X) closely" i.e. "I watched a couple of grainy YouTube videos once."
It really takes a high level of stupidity thinking that people put their real age on different platform on internet.

Oneunited26

For reference @LoveFootball is listed as 29 which would have made him like 10 or 11 around 1999 and judging by his posts I'm confident he wasn't even following United at the time. In all his weird defensive posts about his age he's skirted around the issue by saying "I [technically] was old enough to have watched the 99 team live" and tries to prop up all us ridiculous arguments with rubbish like "I studied [X] closely" i.e. "I watched a couple of grainy YouTube videos once."
Apparently Roy Keane dominating and facing some of the France World Cup winning midfield options in zidane, petit, vierra and deschamps makes him overrated. Yep the 99 team that beat Barcelona, juventus, Bayern the latter two you can ask Bayern and Juventus fans were some of their best ever sides they have ever had. You can’t get the better of France World Cup winning midfielders if you were not pretty damn good, no player can be overrated if they can take on the France World Cup winning midfielders, that’s just a fact. Next we be hearing Zidane and vierra are overrated