Manchester United, 2018-2021 Net Spend Champions

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

Source Transfermarkt

These are the totals starting from the 2018/19 season to the present day.

For context - the preceding season to the onset of these counts, we finished 2nd with 81 points. Mourinho's last full season.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's goes under the radar how much Arsenal have spent in recent years.

Raw

I'm more interested by the relatively small amount of arrivals (17th) and departures (19th). I wonder why that is?
Could be that a lot of those other arrivals/departures are academy players or players coming in and out of loan (reason why Chelsea has bloody loads).

Lentwood

It doesn't tell the whole story though. The actual number of players purchased is quite low, and I feel that's why our 're-builds' always take forever. We're currently far too slow at moving players on and/or getting value for our players. That means that when we make a mistake, we tend to be stuck with it.

The likes of Chelsea and Liverpool are much better at 'farming' players they can then sell for a healthy profit. The sheer number of current Premier League/Championship players who came through our Academy is pretty astonishing, yet how many of them did we get a decent fee for? Some of them, like Michael Keane or Danny Drinkwater, have actually gone for substantial fees after we sold them for peanuts.

Right now, say we moved on Henderson, van de Beek, Axel Tuanzebe, Brandon Williams and Jesse Lingard. You probably make £150m and lose, what, about 10 PL starts between them?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We've always been shite at get anything near a decent prize for any player we sell.
Cos we constantly sell at the wrong time

We sold James for a great price because we sold him at the right time - funny thing being of course that it was never in the plans to sell him.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Cos we constantly sell at the wrong time

We sold James for a great price because we sold him at the right time - funny thing being of course that it was never in the plans to sell him.
Kagawa was given away for example, but maybe I'm more irked by the obscene prices the likes Liverpool and Chelsea have been able to secure for the likes of Coutinho, Torres, Luiz and Oscar etc...Often just before their form fell off a cliff. (Obviously overlooks some of their really shit buys though).

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Crystal Palace, Brighton and Southampton are such well run clubs.

Each have an actual style of play and each have a quality coach who actually improves players and uses them well.

Utd and Arsenal though :lol:

Ixion

We get fleeced by every club when it comes to transfers. And we're pretty shit at spotting bargains.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
And I remember when fans on here would claim that our board doesn’t back our manager :lol:. If the past 3 years of Ole is anything to go by, the board should point to our trophyless drought as a reason to limit our spending until we get a competent manager.

Revaulx

And I remember when fans on here would claim that our board doesn’t back our manager :lol:. If the past 3 years of Ole is anything to go by, the board should point to our trophyless drought as a reason to limit our spending until we get a competent manager.
That only works if you believe that spending record sums = backing our manager.

I’m not at all sure it’s that straightforward

Sviken

We've spent more than City and are nowhere near their level. That's absolutely disgusting. How long can the Glazers continue to allow such spending all to compensate for the manager? Don't they realize how much he is costing them?

ti vu

We've spent more than City and are nowhere near their level. That's absolutely disgusting. How long can the Glazers continue to allow such spending all to compensate for the manager? Don't they realize how much he is costing them?
TBF. Vibe sells merchandise. Man City hardly sells as much with their lack of big fanbase. And Pep is a bad salesperson. He managed to piss off their small fanbase just recently, too.

Ole is doing just fine.

Not

Revan

Assumptionman
We’ve spent as much as City in the last 10 years while starting with a better squad. Yet they have won 5 titles compared to us winning 1.

We have also spent 2.5 times as much as Chelsea during the same time, starting with a better squad. Yet they’ve won 2 league and 2 UCLs compared to us winning a single league.

Why don’t Glazers realize that they can actually get more money if they make the right appointments. Incredible, isn’t it?

BlueHaze

We’ve spent as much as City in the last 10 years while starting with a better squad. Yet they have won 5 titles compared to us winning 1.

We have also spent 2.5 times as much as Chelsea during the same time, starting with a better squad. Yet they’ve won 2 league and 2 UCLs compared to us winning a single league.

Why don’t Glazers realize that they can actually get more money if they make the right appointments. Incredible, isn’t it?
That's the whole point. When you are inept it's only natural they won't realize this.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
feck me, arsenal have bottled it as much as we have. Infact, they're worse off than us.

With ole at the wheel we'd be competing with them for the europa spots soon.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
What I really take away from that table is the difference in the number of in's and out's compared to both City and Chelsea. Clearly they are playing a numbers games better than us. While we pay massive money for a couple of players who may work or not, they seem to be paying less per players, but buying more. Based on our current positions its clear which strategy is paying off.

Josep Dowling

What I really take away from that table is the difference in the number of in's and out's compared to both City and Chelsea. Clearly they are playing a numbers games better than us. While we pay massive money for a couple of players who may work or not, they seem to be paying less per players, but buying more. Based on our current positions its clear which strategy is paying off.
Take Maguire, Pogba, Lukaku and now likely Sancho. All bought for £80-£90m. Because of the price tag you almost certainly have to start them. And you also certainly have to give them more time. Lukaku forced a move and we lost £20m on him in less than 2 seasons. Pogba and Maguire have been two of our worse players this season. Sancho is now unlikely to get games because of the stupid manager has reverted to a system that doesn’t use wingers (now our strongest position player wise).

Paying top dollar all the time is high risk imo. We need to identify players that can be moulded to a system. The problem is the manager can only do that if he actually had a style. You only have to look at the signings Klopp and Pep make and how they seemingly fit into their system. Are Jota and Torres better players than we have? No but they play their manager’s system and because of that perform far better than any of our reserve players would do.

The club is a total mess. It’s clear we have absolutely no direction in how they want to play football, management style or player signings. They think they can buy themselves out of a mess. The only reason this club spent money this summer was because of the protests last season. Suddenly we buy 3 world class players including bringing Ronaldo back. Fans are jubilant, share value of the clubs goes up so high all of a sudden the Glazers sell a load of shares. The majority of fans blame is no longer directed towards the Glazers, when in reality they used the Ronaldo signing to sell shares, merchandise and social media likes.

Once the dust had settled it suddenly became apparent how we can’t play all our best players as they play the same position. Ronaldo is now undroppable even though we have some amazing attacking talent. I would like to see Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood as a front 3 for example. Imagine all that pace.

I am not blaming Ronaldo for how we have been this season. Merely stating it was obvious there was no plan with signing him, and how this impacts how the team plays. You play Ronaldo you need a better CM which presses the ball, as Ronaldo won’t do that. I would suggest if we play Cavani upfront our midfield wouldn’t look as open as it has done this season because he defends from the front.

wolvored

TBF. Vibe sells merchandise. Man City hardly sells as much with their lack of big fanbase. And Pep is a bad salesperson. He managed to piss off their small fanbase just recently, too.

Ole is doing just fine.

Not
I had to check for the white text :lol:

wolvored

I have no qualms how much money the board spends. Better than it going in the Glazers pockets. Thats if the results were there in the trophy cabinet. In 8 years we have won 3 minor trophies and not one big one. Thats the biggest disappointment for me. Big club in the boardroom, mediocre on the pitch.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

I really struggle to understand Glazers. They maybe know shit about football and don't have ambition to win titles but they are people who do well in business and we all know that they bought this club only because of profit.
Now, how people, who are worth billions, make such a stupid moves in club/company worth 4 billion?
How they don't know that value of the club will drop without trophies sooner or later? They surely know that Solskjaer is not solution? And how come that they are not ruthless regarding their employees?

How they earned all this money with their flawed thinking, ffs?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Spurs and Burnley the only teams to have done less business than us and yet we have spent more than anyone. Quite impressive.

UpWithRivers

So why does everyone keep saying that the owners only want top 4 and they are not football people and they dont care about winning. Serious question. Doesn't the facts show the opposite?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Let’s say if a manager wants Rice but the board doesn’t think he has worth for market value for the investment price so they went for Sancho who is more marketable. Would you say it’s the same as backing? I’m not saying whether it is the case but the point is numbers don’t always tell the whole story.

AndyMUFC86

Your absolutely right but as long as the glazers get their dividend and the end of the year they really couldn’t care any less about our club

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's goes under the radar how much Arsenal have spent in recent years.
It's shocking. Pepe aside I'm not sure they've signed anyone over 50m like we have, so it points to a heck of a lot more mid price failures.
At least our league positions have been decent too, they're well off even top 4 recently.

OleBoiii

This is not surprising to me.

Despite Mourinho and Van Gaal spending big, they did a poor job at rebuilding. After Mourinho got sacked we were probably 5 or 6 solid signings away from catching up with City and Liverpool's quality. To top it off we are terrible negotiators. We can't offload players for a decent price and we probably overpay 10-20% on every transfer on average. The infamous "United tax" isn't just a meme.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Sorry, we started with a better squad than City a decade ago? Not sure about that.

AshRK

We are a poor selling club so its nothing new. Chelsea would have made good money of Williams, Chong, Lingard, even Garner. We just hoard these talents because they are from academy. We like to keep average players while Chelsea like to make money out of them.

the_cliff

There are a couple of things that skew this comparison a bit:

1. For some reason since Ole has come in we've bought British. So Maguire, AWB and Sancho for a total of 200 million.
AWB and Maguire prices were definitely inflated by the fact they're British, both absolutely terrible signings. Jury is still out on Sancho.
Give Klopp or Pep 200 million for example they're getting 3 guaranteed world class players in for that amount, we have 2 very good British players and one potential world class player for the same amount.

2. For another weird reason we go for big names, as someone previously mentioned we go for big names that would sell shirts more than actual footballing ability and that's just a recipe for disaster. The board basically wants us to be the UK version of the galacticos.