Manchester United and Chelsea battle over Michael Edwards

cyberman

Yeah, Van Djik and Mane were probably the biggest possible signings that Liverpool could get at the time. One of them even broke the transfer record for defenders. Hardly the work of a genius scout that.

I do think it's fair to say that Salah was a fine transfer, though. He was not nearly as obvious as the other two.
To be fair a lot of players from English teams will cost a lot, it’s getting the right player in that’s the trick.
Plus they’re tapping up disaster drove up the price, then the fact he wa a bought in January drove that up even further.
Let’s not pretend VVD was an obviously huge talent by the way. This entire fourm laughed at that plus mocked Mane when he was linked with us

Teja

I'd be over the moon if this happens but probably BS

Mainoldo

I don't remember the whole story, but didn't Chelsea get rid of Salah because he wasn't deemed good enough? And then Liverpool took a chance on him after a few years in Italy?
They wanted him before he went to Chelsea and both clubs wanted him because of his talent showed at Basel.

He failed at Chelsea probably due to the environment he entered. I.e. Jose Mourinho. Now there’s a long list of those players. He left and his trajectory went in one direction.

Brophs

The One and Only
Funny lot United fans. On one hand crying out for structure, on the other hand “he only signed obvious targets”. Who do you expect us to put in that job, a fortune teller?
Like my sister in law, a grown adult with three children, who every year in the Secret Santa group asks for "a surprise". Okay then. Here's a cordless angle grinder. Now feck off.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Makes you wonder why they didn't, then?
Obviously they could only join one club. And it was more about the right time. Me personally I wanted Salah and Mane, but especially Mane. He was a no brainer signing.

I think that’s a bit harsh.

What would be a very useful asset of having him is his ability to fetch decent fees for dispensable or young players that are surplus to requirements. Some of the fees Liverpool have got for selling unwanted players has been crazy.

He got £24m for Brewster!
Maybe he did a good job. I have no problem with us wanting him if it's true, my problem is him being called a "transfer guru" as if he unearthed Messi and Haaland from an unknown league.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Funny lot United fans. On one hand crying out for structure, on the other hand “he only signed obvious targets”. Who do you expect us to put in that job, a fortune teller?

I can't speak for the other posters, but I just thought it was a little amusing that they used those 3 examples when hyping his resume.

Having said that: there are no sure things in football. A lot of the obvious transfers also turn out to be a complete waste of money. As long as the transfers turn out well, I don't care if the signing is a Galactico or an underground street footballer from Cambodia.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Yeah, Van Djik and Mane were probably the biggest possible signings that Liverpool could get at the time. One of them even broke the transfer record for defenders. Hardly the work of a genius scout that.

I do think it's fair to say that Salah was a fine transfer, though. He was not nearly as obvious as the other two.
Easy to say that in hindsight. Everyone here was ridiculing the Dippers when they went after Mane and VVD.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Easy to say that in hindsight. Everyone here was ridiculing the Dippers when they went after Mane and VVD.
Is that really true? Granted I was not a member then, but I remember my United supporting friends being annoyed that Liverpool got Van Djik. The ridicule was mainly based on the price tag, which seemed excessive back then.

Mane was heavily linked with us, wasn't he? I was under the impression that a lot of fans were positive, but Mkhitaryan was even more favored. Ahhh, what could have been...

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The thing about "obvious signings" is that they look a lot more obvious in hindsight when they've worked out and a lot less obvious when they haven't.

Nobody should know that better than us, who have seen god knows how many supposedly obvious buys flop over the last few years. We didn't squander those millions by chasing unknowns. Getting the obvious buys right would go a long way.

And that's without getting into their more bargain buys over the years.

Giggsy13

"Transfer guru"
Literally any football manager and PES players knew about the players he signed.
YES, literally anyone would know who these players were and it was obvious to everyone they’d help Liverpool win their first league title in 3 decades. I mean Salah the Chelsea reject; Mane not good enough for United; Robertson + Wijnaldum relegation fodder; and VVD the overpriced and overhyped CB. Yes absolutely obvious that they’d become class at Liverpool. Edwards is rubbish.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
The thing about "obvious signings" is that look a lot more obvious in hindsight when they've worked out and a lot less obvious when they haven't.
I agree with this.

I do think that Liverpool's good reputation when it comes to transfers is partly down to the fact that they weren't able to pick the cream of the crop before Klopp started winning things. They had to settle for the best players that the usual suspects didn't want or need, who typically aren't on the top shelf. Mane will always look like a much smarter transfers than Haaland for instance, but how many better wingers on the market could Liverpool realistically have signed back then?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
YES, literally anyone would know who these players were and it was obvious to everyone they’d help Liverpool win their first league title in 3 decades. I mean Salah the Chelsea reject; Mane not good enough for United; Robertson + Wijnaldum relegation fodder; and VVD the overpriced and overhyped CB. Yes absolutely obvious that they’d become class at Liverpool. Edwards is rubbish.
Not a transfer guru when everyone knew about those players. Good at transfers? maybe. Guru? nah.

Brunsama

Surprised to see people turn their noses up at Edwards.

Surely we can all agree that Liverpool have had an impressive 4 years or so due to 2 things in summary. Great coaching and great recruitment.

In my opinion we’re in safe hands on the coaching front. We now need to execute on the recruitment side to really turn our fortunes around. Bringing in Edwards would be a pretty major coup in our restructuring.

arthurka

Oh God, he’d instantly be heralded as the reason we’re good again (if that happens). I expect him to be a bit shite elsewhere and prove that Klopp and his coaching was the real genius there, just as it was at Dortmund.
A man that can fetch 40m for Ibe and Solanke is a genius no ifs and buts about it.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Yeah exactly. I think partially what we're lacking at the moment is someone with connections and relationships across different clubs in Europe. Murtough might have the vision and the right idea, but he's never had to do that part of the job.

Having someone like Edwards resolves that without having to use intermediaries like in the Woodward era
For what it's worth Edwards had a grand total of 0 years experience when he took on what Murtough is doing now, at Liverpool. He often got hounded for poor decisions and then the rest is history.

Skills

Snitch
For what it's worth Edwards had a grand total of 0 years experience when he took on what Murtough is doing now, at Liverpool. He often got hounded for poor decisions and then the rest is history.
That's irrelevant because he does have that experience now though. Why do we want Murtough going through exactly the same learning curve, when we can bring someone in to work for/with him who's already been on that journey and come out of the end of it with some good credit?

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
The thing about "obvious signings" is that they look a lot more obvious in hindsight when they've worked out and a lot less obvious when they haven't.
Indeed, there were a number of people who didn't want Sadio Mane anywhere near the club. People laughed that they were after van Dijk "another Southampton player, lol" was the prevalent attitude.

Fabinho, another one who was 50/50 in the forum. Andy Robertson was a relegation fodder full back. Salah was a Chelsea reject ...

Skills

Snitch
Indeed, there were a number of people who didn't want Sadio Mane anywhere near the club. People laughed that they were after van Dijk "another Southampton player, lol" was the prevalent attitude.

Fabinho, another one who was 50/50 in the forum. Andy Robertson was a relegation fodder full back. Salah was a Chelsea reject ...
Fabinho was rejected by us in favour of Matic.

Lentwood

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...ael-edwards-liverpool-transfer-deals-22131105

Can't believe there is even a debate about his impact at Liverpool, man's a genius

Bear in-mind, not only have they bought well enough to win a Premier League title and a Champions League trophy, they've done it all whilst basically maintaining a positive net spend.

Our net spend under the Glazers is over £1BN and we've (as yet) barely anything to show for it

Adnan

Talent Spotter
David Ornstein reported in August about Edwards turning Chelsea turn down and him wanting to take a break from football. It was also said that he was settled in Cheshire and didn't want to relocate.

The news that came out today about Edwards isn't from a reliable source, so we'd need someone more credible to corroborate the earlier report. But credible journos have reported in the last 6 months about United wanting to add Edwards to the structural side of the football club. And the report from earlier today is basically saying that United are willing to wait for Edwards to join the club next summer. That's sounds believable if it wasn't from a questionable source.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The Liverpool transfers targets were identified by Dave Fallows and Barry Hunter with the exception of Sadio Mane who Klopp reportedly signed after the Liverpool recruitment team had deemed him not good enough under Brendan Rodgers. And Klopp pushed through and over-ruled the Liverpool recruitment department over Mane because he'd kept a close eye on the player for 4 years since he appeared at Red Bull Salzburg.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The Liverpool transfers targets were identified by Dave Fallows and Barry Hunter with the exception of Sadio Mane who Klopp reportedly signed after the Liverpool recruitment team had deemed him not good enough under Brendan Rodgers. And Klopp pushed through and over-ruled the Liverpool recruitment department over Mane because he'd kept a close eye on the player for, 4 years since he appeared at Red Bull Salzburg.
So what did Michael Guru Edwards do then? he was the one who negotiated the transfers?

Skills

Snitch
So what did Michael Guru Edwards do then? he was the one who negotiated the transfers?
Like any high level job, he's not actually out there personally scouting these people.

His job is to empower the right people on the right occasions. Whether it's time to listen to the manager, his head of recruitment, data science team or someone else within the structure. He decides how he's going to weigh the opinion of the different individuals involved in that structure.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

I must admit I didn’t rate VVD back then, I thought he was good but not great, I thought that from watching him at Celtic he showed that he was missing out on headers. How wrong I was! We ended up with Lindelof. FML

Fabinho I did want, but at RB.

Robertson I did rate, i started a thread about him reminding me of Irwin. Gutted when they picked him up for 8m

croadyman

David Ornstein reported in August about Edwards turning Chelsea turn down and him wanting to take a break from football. It was also said that he was settled in Cheshire and didn't want to relocate.

The news that came out today about Edwards isn't from a reliable source, so we'd need someone more credible to corroborate the earlier report. But credible journos have reported in the last 6 months about United wanting to add Edwards to the structural side of the football club. And the report from earlier today is basically saying that United are willing to wait for Edwards to join the club next summer. That's sounds believable if it wasn't from a questionable source.
Yeah but expect the likes of Whitwell & Ducker to remain quiet on it until they are sure there is anything in the story at all