Manchester united are interested in Botman

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Is that a good thing? :nervous:

Because Ajax‘s football and United’s football is like water and oil. VDB is a prime example.:lol:
Depends, from what i read here, people/United want a defender with pace and able to stop a counter attack and be comfortable on the ball.

So if that's the case, he's not good enough, because that's a typical defender type for Ajax. Because that is the reason Ajax let him go.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Depends, from what i read here, people/United want a defender with pace and able to stop a counter attack and be comfortable on the ball.

So if that's the case, he's not good enough, because that's a typical defender type for Ajax. Because that is the reason Ajax let him go.
Yes, Blind is lightning and Martinez pings long balls like De Boer :lol:

I know as an Ajax fan you'd like to feel vindicated, but everyone gets it wrong sometimes, like selling Noa Lang or not going for VVD.

I saw those Ajax Lille games and he played poorly and looked uncomfortable on the ball. People say he's hot shit domestically though.

The Fonte effect is interesting. All the young CBs that have played alongside him improved. We should offer him a coaching position after his imminent retirement.

Ekeke

Botman, Bade or Boubakar Kouyaté should be one of our signings this summer for sure. Plenty of good CBs who would improve on Lindelof's weaknesses in France this season

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Yes, Blind is lightning and Martinez pings long balls like De Boer :lol:

I know as an Ajax fan you'd like to feel vindicated, but everyone gets it wrong sometimes, like selling Noa Lang or not going for VVD.

I saw those Ajax Lille games and he played poorly and looked uncomfortable on the ball. People say he's hot shit domestically though.

The Fonte effect is interesting. All the young CBs that have played alongside him improved. We should offer him a coaching position after his imminent retirement.
That means that the slow CB spot is taken, it's not like Ajax plays with 2 fast defenders.
Blind is always the slow one. Martinez/Timber or earlier De Ligt were the "fast" ones.

Besides it's not like Ajax always has the players they want. Botman was let go because he was deemed not good enough against counters(Ajax defenders usually play far up the field, so counters are inevitable)

Last edited:

Number32

Bruno was also never good enough for Udinese. Footballers can develop themself to a certain level, not just based on natural talent. Ajax can't develop him doesn't mean he is not good enough.

Botman has a decent pace and comfortable on the ball this season. Stats wise he is the best defender on the league, most clean sheets and playing every minutes for Lille.

Ekeke

That means that the slow CB spot is taken, it's not like Ajax plays with 2 fast defenders.
Blind is always the slow one. Martinez/Timber or earlier De Ligt were the "fast" ones.

Besides it's not like Ajax always has the players they want. Botman was let go because he was deemed not good enough against counters(Ajax defenders usually play far up the field, so counters are inevitable)
He doesnt look slow at all.

No slower than Maguire or Lindelof. Probably faster

Ajax just got it wrong. Maybe they felt they needed to pick between him and Schuurs, well this guy is in a defence with the best defensive record in France which is a more competitive and better league than the dutch one and there are loads of examples of young CBs coming from that league and doing well in others in the past 5 years. More from France than anywhere. And he's 21 years old in the team at the top of the league and the best defensive record

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
He doesnt look slow at all.

No slower than Maguire or Lindelof. Probably faster

Ajax just got it wrong. Maybe they felt they needed to pick between him and Schuurs, well this guy is in a defence with the best defensive record in France which is a more competitive and better league than the dutch one and there are loads of examples of young CBs coming from that league and doing well in others in the past 5 years. More from France than anywhere. And he's 21 years old in the team at the top of the league and the best defensive record
Ajax didn't get it wrong on Botman, maybe on Schuurs, but he got dropped rather quickly because Timber is waaaaay better and fits the mould perfectly.

Timber is also in the preliminary European Championship squad, Botman isn't.

Besides i've seen Lille play, especially against Ajax. He really didn't impress me and looked the same as he did at Ajax(well, he did improve a bit, but not enough). So Lille might be a better club for him to play at. But i'm not sure he'll fit in at United.

Ekeke

Ajax didn't get it wrong on Botman, maybe on Schuurs, but he got dropped rather quickly because Timber is waaaaay better and fits the mould perfectly.

Timber is also in the preliminary European Championship squad, Botman isn't.

Besides i've seen Lille play, especially against Ajax. He really didn't impress me and looked the same as he did at Ajax(well, he did improve a bit, but not enough). So Lille might be a better club for him to play at. But i'm not sure he'll fit in at United.
One or two matches dont really mean anything. What matters is what he has accomplished over the season.

romufc

It's really hard to judge a CB unless you have watch the league and Lille games, which I doubt many of us do.

You almost have to trust the scouts on this one. Its one of the most difficult positions to really judge based on one game or short clips.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We don't need another CB prospect. We already have 1 or 2 in the club. We need a ready made top drawer CB if we want to challenge City and probably Liverpool too once they get their defence back.

Never seen this guy play but it doesn't sound like he's the guy to come in and go straight in the team alongside Maguire to me.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
One or two matches dont really mean anything. What matters is what he has accomplished over the season.
One or two compilation videos don't really mean anything.

The French league is rather weak if a weak team like Lille can become champion. Ofcourse PSG made some mistakes, but the rest isn't really strong this season. So it really doesn't say much.

Tony Clifton

Now that Varane is signed…get Botman and immediately loan him back to Lille for another season.

Dante

Average bang
Nah.

Any defender we sign now is going to be joining the squad as fourth choice. That means avoiding young players who need playing time to develop, injury prone players who can't be relied upon in a crisis, players who need their hand held by a senior partner, and anyone who doesn't have PL experience to step in at a moment's notice.

If we're buying another CB, it would ideally be a hardened veteran from a club in the bottom half of the Premier League. Not someone like Botman.

Scholsey2004

Nah.

Any defender we sign now is going to be joining the squad as fourth choice. That means avoiding young players who need playing time to develop, injury prone players who can't be relied upon in a crisis, players who need their hand held by a senior partner, and anyone who doesn't have PL experience to step in at a moment's notice.

If we're buying another CB, it would ideally be a hardened veteran from a club in the bottom half of the Premier League. Not someone like Botman.
I really struggle to believe we'd even be interested in another CB. Thats the last position we should be worrying about now.

Scholsey2004

Now that Varane is signed…get Botman and immediately loan him back to Lille for another season.
Our starting centre bacls have 5 years in them. We've still got Lindelof, Bailly and Tuanzebe. I like Botman but we dont need another CB.

Dante

Average bang
I really struggle to believe we'd even be interested in another CB. Thats the last position we should be worrying about now.
I don't disagree. It's only a question of whether Bailly and Tuanzebe are going to be happy to sit on the bench every week.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Even if he flops, he would be worth it to reduce the crime rate in Manchester.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Who is this Batman guy?
Any good?
Not sure.
But away from a football pitch, he operates in the shadows, is cunning, has guile and always has a plan to counter his opponent.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Seems the Saudis are going for him , which is a shame as I really liked him.

We can't go for any more defenders as we have an overabundance of them and we are still kinda shite , shame .

Anyway cracking business by them Saudis if they get both him and tripper with the price the are .

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He's slow and not very good on the ball, which is probably the reason Ajax let him go.

Great for Newcastle, not so much for a team that wants to play a high line and play out from the back.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He's slow and not very good on the ball, which is probably the reason Ajax let him go.

Great for Newcastle, not so much for a team that wants to play a high line and play out from the back.
He is pretty cheap though and seems to be very consistent, definitely great business for them.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Would be funny if he does the Crouch goal celebration.