Manchester United 'Banter club'

wolvored

I have just come back from the pub after watching the game. I am merry but not pissed. I watched the match in the same pub I have watched it since 2001. Oles goal against the Villa in the 85th minute was the first match I watched there and when he scored, the pub erupted with glee.
Now I felt I was the only Utd fan as the pub erupted at the Forest goals. Someone said at full time we are a 'banter club' and someone else agreed. Have we dropped that far that we are an irrelevance to most people? Unless Ratcliffe can turn it round in the summer, are we forever the also rans? What other 'top' club drops off like this in the modern era?

thisisnottaken1

We’ve been a banter club since 2013, it’s really sad, because every ABU is living the dream.

I remember when Liverpool were a banter club from between 2009 and 2013. Chelsea have also been a banter club since last year, but because of our stature, we’re still the ultimate banter club, and non-United fans piss themselves laughing at our failures.

Yanited__

Are we a laughing stock? Yes. Has this drop off been bigger than expected? Yes. But we're not irrelevant.

The fact we're this bad and still on everyone's minds, fans and media alike, shows you the stature of the club. We're box office but for the wrong reasons.

I'm sure we'll turn it around, the SJR stake is a step in the right direction, but I can't tell you when we'll get out this cycle. It's really hard to predict.

If you go by other teams like Liverpool, it took them 30 years, Arsenal took 18-20 years till now before they started to look competent again (and even then they haven't won anything major yet), Chelsea have always been an on/off club since Abramovic takeover with a couple of good seasons and then some poor ones, they look clueless under Bohley regime so far, City were nothing prior to Mansour's takeover, AC Milan/Inter Milan had droughts in Serie A. All clubs go through this to some degree.

What's more disappointing for me is the lack of excitement I get watching United, consistently for most of the seasons post-ferguson. That Villa game to be fair was a blast from the past. More games like that please. Don't mind being dross for a bit but please don't make it a chore to watch.

Reactions: top1whoisman

Tyrion

Have we dropped that far that we are an irrelevance to most people? Unless Ratcliffe can turn it round in the summer, are we forever the also rans? What other 'top' club drops off like this in the modern era?
No, most fans still hate us.

One summer doesn't mean forever so no.

Few other top clubs have except for maybe the Italian ones. Arsenal did at the end of Wenger and in the years after.

sepulturite

I have just come back from the pub after watching the game. I am merry but not pissed. I watched the match in the same pub I have watched it since 2001. Oles goal against the Villa in the 85th minute was the first match I watched there and when he scored, the pub erupted with glee.
Now I felt I was the only Utd fan as the pub erupted at the Forest goals. Someone said at full time we are a 'banter club' and someone else agreed. Have we dropped that far that we are an irrelevance to most people? Unless Ratcliffe can turn it round in the summer, are we forever the also rans? What other 'top' club drops off like this in the modern era?
Pissed enough to create two threads on the same subject :lol:

pascell

We're not irrelevant, but beating this Man United isn't a shock/massive scalp as it once was, as we have lost our fear factor.

Even OT isn't a fortress anymore, teams don't come and sit back, hoping to nick a plucky 1-0 win of a set piece, we're regularly outplayed on our own pitch, that's how bad we have become.

If rumours are true that Ratcliffe/INEOS don't plan on appointing a Sporting Director and Head of Recruitment until summer, I'd say we're at least 2-3 more seasons away from challenging, there's plenty of players within the squad who are way below previous standards. That's without teams around us improving, I feel teams like Spurs, Villa, Brighton, Newcastle and Chelsea will be much stronger next season, that's without taking Arsenal, Liverpool & City into consideration, our turnaround in fortunes isn't going to happen overnight.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It feels like we are more adrift than Liverpool were in the 1990s and 2000s. Apart from the very brief Hodgson era, I don't remember them being as consistently cak as we are now.

We have been an absolute joke for over a decade and we still look a decade away from anything.

Just think of some of the defeats we have sat through in recent seasons, especially against Liverpool. As bad as the Scousers were at their lowest, they never let us go to their place and win 5-0 or smack them for 7.

We have become an embarrassment to the Sir Alex Ferguson era. No other big club would accept this e.g., Madrid wouldn't allow itself to fall so meekly behind Barca.

Our standards are in the gutter. We are mid table club with a big name.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I've settled into enjoying the memes. Even after a great comeback against win Villa, people knew what was coming and this went semi-viral...

We're shit. Ten Hag is shit. Players are shit. The stadium is shit. Find your jollies where you can. Feck them all.

Tyrion

I've settled into enjoying the memes. Even after a great comeback against win Villa, people knew what was coming and this went semi-viral...

We're shit. Ten Hag is shit. Players are shit. The stadium is shit. Find your jollies where you can. Feck them all.
The meme would be funnier if any United fan actually thought that game was a turning point.

Wilt

Utd have lost so many times it seems the oppo’s I know have run out of banter, apart from a couple of Chelsea and Arse cnuts, nobody bothers anymore.

They still take the piss out of the usual suspects Bruno, Antony, Rashford, Maguire and “what a great job Ten Hag is doing”

Things can only get better….

Last edited:

Betson

We have become a complete laughing stock throughout Europe..

How can a club spend so much and still be so crap.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

Man, Vicki Beckham is gorgeous. A very handsome couple all round.

On topic, Utd have been *mainly* a joke since the exact moment Moyes was announced.

That was the moment the club went from apex predator to whimpering prey.

There’ve been a few moments here and there where an upturn occurred, but mainly it’s been banter since then.

RikRuud

Man, Vicki Beckham is gorgeous. A very handsome couple all round.

On topic, Utd have been *mainly* a joke since the exact moment Moyes was announced.

That was the moment the club went from apex predator to whimpering prey.

There’ve been a few moments here and there where an upturn occurred, but mainly it’s been banter since then.
The Moyes summer transfer window is the biggest “what if” in a long time.

I think David Gill stepping aside the same time as Sir Alex was detrimental. I don’t think other big clubs respected the people who were running our club after that and it went downhill from there.

Only way is to start again. Just pray that Ineos can push us in the right direction.

JeffFromHK

We have become a complete laughing stock throughout Europe..

How can a club spend so much and still be so crap.
It is very easy to explain on Fifa(FC24 now) terms:

We sell a 80 rated back up player at 10M and buy another 80 rated player at 70M and make him our key player. Now our squad is filled with 80 rated players as starters and it is no surprise that we are a mid table club.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
It is very easy to explain on Fifa(FC24 now) terms:

We sell a 80 rated back up player at 10M and buy another 80 rated player at 70M and make him our key player. Now our squad is filled with 80 rated players as starters and it is no surprise that we are a mid table club.
80 rated players are better than these. These are rated in their 60-70s

el3mel

Remember when Arsenal was the laughing stock of the league and everyone was making fun of them ? We have taken such spot.

doughole

You are only a banter club if you are a big club suffering a low period.

Telsim

We are a laughing stock. My oppo mates used to banter me a lot, but even that has kind of ceased to a degree. We are just so bad they are probably trying not to be too mean (or perhaps repetitive). When you talk with supporters of other elite European clubs no one really talks or thinks about us anymore, though games like against Bayern draw a lot of attention still. Something I've noticed among the zoomers is that they don't really know about the club, unless their parents were fans.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
We have been a complete joke for a long while now. I hate that people still mention Saf retiring, Moyes season etc as the reason for this but honestly it’s been over a decade now, any decent run club can be rebuilt in 2-3 years. It genuinely doesn’t matter what happened in 2014 but we somehow continue to make the same mistakes year after year

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Remember when Arsenal was the laughing stock of the league and everyone was making fun of them ? We have taken such spot.
We are far worse than that to the point where we can’t even spend on transfers anymore. Those arsenal teams cost almost nothing. The regularly lost their best players to higher spending clubs and usually still hit top 4 while playing really nice stuff. They had a soft underbelly that will surely develop when you keep losing your leaders and best players. They were paying for a stadium. We are just a circus

Betson

We will never be irrelevant. Oppos just loving our fall from grace because they had to suck our continual glory for 25 years. Let them have their fun, we will be back soon enough.

We might tell ourselves we are not irrelevant , but in football terms we are , not even worth considering when we talk about potential title contenders or CL winners at the start of any season.

If you said Utd were in a with chance to win the league you would rightly be ridiculed and laughed at. when it comes to major honors we are complete irrelevancy.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We are far worse than that to the point where we can’t even spend on transfers anymore. Those arsenal teams cost almost nothing. The regularly lost their best players to higher spending clubs and usually still hit top 4 while playing really nice stuff. They had a soft underbelly that will surely develop when you keep losing your leaders and best players. They were paying for a stadium. We are just a circus
All true.

I mentioned us being worse than Liverpool were. However, let's not overlook that we are also worse than Arsenal ever were.

Winrar

We became a banter club as soon as we accepted lowering our expectations as an excuse for underperforming.

Can you imagine a Real Madrid manager saying "we overachieved by finishing top4" Or a Bayern manager saying "we aspire to be as good as Borussia Dortmund," and expecting to keep their jobs after that at that?

downxandxout

Supports Manc...ini
Unfortunately I'm friends with a few city fans. Without fail, each time we lose, they post multiple tweets with United 'banter'. Weirdly, when they win they're as likely to mentioned United as they are their own team. Think a few have fallen past the line of banter and obsession.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It feels like we are more adrift than Liverpool were in the 1990s and 2000s. Apart from the very brief Hodgson era, I don't remember them being as consistently cak as we are now.
They had 4 seasons of 7,8,6 and 7 between 09/10 and 12/13
A one season resurgence of 2nd.
Then 6th and 8th the season after.

Wait until we've had 6 seasons out of 7 with 6th as our best position before trying to say we've been worse.

Another 3 year spell 6th to 8th early 90s too.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
All true.

I mentioned us being worse than Liverpool were. However, let's not overlook that we are also worse than Arsenal ever were.
We haven't let in 8 so no we've not reached Arsenal's low point ....... yet

iHicksy

We’ve been a banter club since 2013, it’s really sad, because every ABU is living the dream.

I remember when Liverpool were a banter club from between 2009 and 2013. Chelsea have also been a banter club since last year, but because of our stature, we’re still the ultimate banter club, and non-United fans piss themselves laughing at our failures.
Nonsense - they won the freaking champions league in 2009 and were premier league runners up twice in that time. The only time they were a joke was when they signed half the southampton team and had the likes of Woy and Kenny in charge.

Jersey Heel

Being from the US, I was unfamiliar with the term “banter club.” Having Googled it, I can concur that we are, in fact, a banter club.

Jordi Cruyff 99

Nonsense - they won the freaking champions league in 2009 and were premier league runners up twice in that time. The only time they were a joke was when they signed half the southampton team and had the likes of Woy and Kenny in charge.
Liverpool won the Champions League in 2005, not 2009.

astracrazy

I think after last season people still make fun of them. They are still proving themselves bottlers even today. This time last season they'd won the league.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Barca won the UCL in 09.

Roy Hodgson was their manager in 2010. Kenny was in 2011.

I feel like dates aren’t your thing. :lol:

Last edited:

pacifictheme

Liverpool were a banter club for over two decades bar a few seasons.