Manchester United equal Ajax record in Champions League

SittingBull

That's great and all, but what is Sergio Canales u
At United, we strive for perfection, and if we fai
Manchester United equalled Ajax’s record of 14 successive unbeaten away matches in the Champions League last night after beating CSKA Moscow 1-0 to move within touching distance of the knockout stages.

Sir Alex Ferguson hailed a thoroughly professional performance as Antonio Valencia’s second goal in as many matches, four minutes from time, saw off Juande Ramos’s side and ensured United matched the record set by the Dutch club between 1994 and 1997.

Like Chelsea, 4-0 winners over Atlético Madrid at Stamford Bridge, a point from their next fixture — against CSKA at Old Trafford on November 3 — should be enough to secure qualification with two games to spare.

With Liverpool to play in the Barclays Premier League on Sunday, it was the perfect run-out and result for United, who also avoided any further injuries on the artificial pitch at the Luzhniki Stadium.

"The issues of the surface were not a problem,” Ferguson, the United manager, said. “As I said before the game, good footballers can play on that quite easily.

“I’m very pleased with the performance. We have a home game against CSKA next, so we have the opportunity to ensure we go through to the next stage. I think we should be proud [of equalling Ajax’s record].

“There is a way of playing with maturity and you saw that tonight. In the first half I think we played with a lot of patience, which is necessary when you are playing away from home. Experience in these sort of situations is always vital.

“In the second half we increased the tempo of the game and got more penetration. We created some good opportunities and if we have to wait to the 86th minute, so be it. We had to have the patience to win, and we did that.”

Ferguson also paid tribute to Valencia, who continued his good form, and Fábio Da Silva, the teenaged defender who excelled on his Champions League debut. “Valencia has been a plus point for the last few weeks,” Ferguson said. “He is emerging very well, settling into the club and his confidence is getting stronger.

“He has tremendous assets for a wide player but the assets he didn’t show at Wigan were his goals, where he would maybe get three or four a season.”

Havak

Pokemon master
I wonder if Fergie will really want to go and break this record. Our next away game is Wolfsburg which could prove a tough one, especially since I think we'll beat CSKA and Besiktas at Old Trafford and have already won the group by then. It's also our mid-week game before we play Aston Villa in the Premier League at Old Trafford, so many key players will be rested. However, I guess it could be possible that Wolfsburg rest players if they've already qualified by then. Might be difficult to break this record though..

::sonny::

indeed he was!

Love him, didn't realise just how much until we had to put up with Foster in goal.
Ajax '94 > '97

1)

VDS

Silooy F.De Boer Blind

Jonk

Finidi Rijkaard Seedorf Overmars

Litmanen

Kanu​

2)

VDS

Reizeger F.De Boer Blind Bogarde

R.De Boer Davids Witschge Overmars

Litmanen

Kluivert​

Widnes

how many games are we unbeaten at home in europe? can't think of a defeat in the last 3-4 years off the top of my head.

Enigma_87

You know who
how many games are we unbeaten at home in europe? can't think of a defeat in the last 3-4 years off the top of my head.
off the top of my head when we were eliminated by Milan and Crespo scoring in the both legs.

I don't recall losing at Old Trafford since that.