Manchester United name John Murtough as Football Director and Darren Fletcher as Technical Director

FrantikChicken

This guy hired Ragnick, who hadn’t managed a club in over 10 years, as caretaker, and then decided not to use him for the role he’s actually skilled at, which is building up clubs.

He then hired a guy whose greatest achievement was winning in the Netherlands with a club 10x richer than its rivals, and basically let him sign any and every former player he wished, no matter the cost.

Absolutely 0 evidence of any long term strategy.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Arnold, Murtough, Fletcher should be sacked immediately by Ratcliffe when he shows up. All 3 should be replaced and Ten Hag given a shot under a new management team. I can't see any other solution.

croadyman

One of the biggest mistakes we ever made was not appointing a Sporting Director when Gill announced he was stepping down. Maybe then Ancelotti or Jose would have replaced Fergie and not Moyes. Pretty sure Guardiola had already given his word to Bayern and Klopp wasn't ready to leave Dortmund either.

sugar_kane

It's astonishing how Murtough has managed to avoid the spotlight through all of the turmoil this season. He's the directorial equivalent of McTominay in midfield with his disappearing act.

Even Gary Neville today on Twitter is going on about how we don't have a Sporting Director, I refuse to believe that he cannot know of this guy's existence?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Arnold, Murtough, Fletcher should be sacked immediately by Ratcliffe when he shows up. All 3 should be replaced and Ten Hag given a shot under a new management team. I can't see any other solution.
Why not just fire all four? I don't understand why ETH should get a pass when many of the players he wanted were signed.

Matt851

This guy hired Ragnick, who hadn’t managed a club in over 10 years, as caretaker, and then decided not to use him for the role he’s actually skilled at, which is building up clubs.

He then hired a guy whose greatest achievement was winning in the Netherlands with a club 10x richer than its rivals, and basically let him sign any and every former player he wished, no matter the cost.

Absolutely 0 evidence of any long term strategy.
It basically seems like he just outsources his job to the manager and puts his feet up while they get on with it

Apokalips

It's astonishing how Murtough has managed to avoid the spotlight through all of the turmoil this season. He's the directorial equivalent of McTominay in midfield with his disappearing act.

Even Gary Neville today on Twitter is going on about how we don't have a Sporting Director, I refuse to believe that he cannot know of this guy's existence?
I really don't understand it, Neville kept saying on Sky how we don't have a Sporting Director when we do.

He would surely know that, or he knows from the inside that Murtough is not a real Sporting Director like at other clubs. He spoke of people on the inside fearing for their jobs so I would assume those same people have let him know that Murtough does not do what we would expect a Sporting Director to do.

Aretak

Maybe it's a roundabout way of saying he's a clown who doesn't have a clue and isn't doing his supposed job. Not like Neville's going to come out say that directly, so writing him off as an empty suit who may as well not exist is probably the next best thing.

Blood Mage

There needs to be more accountability for our catastrophic recruitment than just sacking ETH. I find it inconceivable that Murtough can remain on board to work with another manager. It's time for us to hire a proper sporting director.

Laurencio

There needs to be more accountability for our catastrophic recruitment than just sacking ETH. I find it inconceivable that Murtough can remain on board to work with another manager. It's time for us to hire a proper sporting director.
I think it's a safe bet that everyone will be held to account should Ratcliffe get his foot in the door and begin a slow-burning takeover.

Roboc7

Not sure about Fletcher but the other 2 would surely be gone, along with a lot of others. I think ETH will have to go as well, his stock is so low now that he can’t really have a fresh start and I think best to just bite the bullet and bring someone else in rather than having to sack him fairly quickly anyway.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Not sure about Fletcher but the other 2 would surely be gone, along with a lot of others. I think ETH will have to go as well, his stock is so low now that he can’t really have a fresh start and I think best to just bite the bullet and bring someone else in rather than having to sack him fairly quickly anyway.
Not sure about Arnold and Fletcher tbh. Mourthough though....the sooner he goes the better.

tomaldinho1

Murtough reminds me of this guy.
https://www.snopes.com/news/2016/02/15/man-doesnt-work-years/

Yakuza_devils

There is no place for Murtough to hide now.

At first, Murtough's fans were saying it was all Ed and not Murtough even though he was the right hand man for Ed in football for the last decade.

Then, when Ed was gone and Murtough appointed real DOF with power, they say Murtough need time. Hence, he can't really "perform his roles" until everything revamped including the scouting department and whatnot.

Fast forward 2 years we are at one of the worst state in our history post SAF. So what's the excuse for Murtough fans now?

Now it's Arnold and Glazers? Murtough is always the right man even though he has no CV to back it up.

croadyman

At first, Murtough's fans were saying it was all Ed and not Murtough even though he was the right hand man for Ed in football for the last decade.

Then, when Ed was gone and Murtough appointed real DOF with power, they say Murtough need time. Hence, he can't really "perform his roles" until everything revamped including the scouting department and whatnot.

Fast forward 2 years we are at one of the worst state in our history post SAF. So what's the excuse for Murtough fans now?

Now it's Arnold and Glazers? Murtough is always the right man even though he has no CV to back it up.
He should never have been appointed by Moyes

Sir Erik ten Hag

But, but… Murtough brought Ronaldo home. You don’t get a much bigger statement signing than that. :drool:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Only because I don't want to see yet another manager sacked by player power
How is it player power? The manager simply isn't getting results largely with the players he signed. Seems like a cop-out to blame poor results on player power, downing tools, or the board. At some point, the manager has to take responsibility.

croadyman

How is it player power? The manager simply isn't getting results largely with the players he signed. Seems like a cop-out to blame poor results on player power, downing tools, or the board. At some point, the manager has to take responsibility.
My point was I feel he at least deserves the opportunity to work with a proper structure,yes I am not denying he has wasted too much money particularly on Antony and Mount.

Highfather_24

Wait so if ETH is gonna get sacked now, is that Murtough making that decision? Is that Arnold making that decision? Both of whom are about to sacked soon themselves?

Amir

Wait so if ETH is gonna get sacked now, is that Murtough making that decision? Is that Arnold making that decision? Both of whom are about to sacked soon themselves?
Murtough decides and brings it to the approvement of Arnold who brings it to the approvement of Kevin who brings it to the approvement of Bryan who brings it to the approvement of Edward who brings it to the approvement of Darcie who brings it to the approvement of Avram who brings it to the approvement of Joel, who asks how much it's going to cost and says he'll decide within 12 months, maybe,

Last edited:

croadyman

Murtough decides and brings it to the aprrovement of Arnold who brings it to the aprrovement of Kevin who brings it to the aprrovement of Bryan who brings it to the aprrovement of Edward who brings it to the aprrovement of Darcie who brings it to the aprrovement of Avram who brings it to the aprrovement of Joel, who asks how much it's going to cost and says he'll decide within 12 months, maybe,
Depressingly true

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I hope the posters who pushed back on those who were questioning the appointments of Murtough and Arnold are happy now. "Lets give them a chance" was their argument. They must be happy to see the club turning into a charity for underqualified people.

Mainoldo

I hope the posters who pushed back on those who were questioning the appointments of Murtough and Arnold are happy now. "Lets give them a chance" was their argument. They must be happy to see the club turning into a charity for underqualified people.
I bet he got you the manager you wanted though.:smirk:

So maybe you don’t have a clue too.

ayushreddevil9

I bet he got you the manager you wanted though.:smirk:

So maybe you don’t have a clue too.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic here or being serious.

I have been against these appointments right from the start and getting ETH in doesn't change that.

Loon

:lol:
My point was I feel he at least deserves the opportunity to work with a proper structure,yes I am not denying he has wasted too much money particularly on Antony and Mount.
Nothing will happen to him until the partial sale is complete, but if we are to believe Ten Hag insisted on total control over transfers, or he was simply given final say in an act of complete faith and support from those above him, a conversation would need to take place with the new people coming in outlining he no longer would have final say on transfers and will be required to state clearly how he wants the team to play or he’s done.

Even when (if) this Mitchell guy comes in, it’s going to take a long while to sort this mess out and even then there’s no guarantee he will. People forget even the much-maligned Solskjaer organisation did actively pursue Haaland and Bellingham and regardless of the reasons they failed to get them in, the intent was there.

Last edited:

Loon

:lol:
I think people, like myself and a good portion of folk on here, know nothing about the running of a football club and were hoping things would improve with the new appointments, just as some are now hopeful the rumoured Mitchell can do the same.

Out of interest, who would you appoint?

Mainoldo

Not sure if you're being sarcastic here or being serious.

I have been against these appointments right from the start and getting ETH in doesn't change that.
My point is you didn’t have a clue how good this guy was going to be and the things you wanted like ETH he did.

So maybe, me included.. people need to relax on thinking they know it all when in reality most don’t have a f’ing clue like Murtough.

You probably want ETH to ride it out too.

ayushreddevil9

My point is you didn’t have a clue how good this guy was going to be and the things you wanted like ETH he did.

So maybe, me included.. people need to relax on thinking they know it all when in reality most don’t have a f’ing clue like Murtough.

You probably want ETH to ride it out too.
For such a large organization like Utd, its justified to question such appointments for people who would be learning on the job or have no CV to show that they are good enough. No other big club makes moves like these or atleast its not very common.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Murtough decides and brings it to the approvement of Arnold who brings it to the approvement of Kevin who brings it to the approvement of Bryan who brings it to the approvement of Edward who brings it to the approvement of Darcie who brings it to the approvement of Avram who brings it to the approvement of Joel, who asks how much it's going to cost and says he'll decide within 12 months, maybe,
Imagine that inbox

"RE: FW: FW: FW: FW: FW: FW: Ten Hag's Future"

Mainoldo

For such a large organization like Utd, its justified to question such appointments for people who would be learning on the job or have no CV to show that they are good enough. No other big club makes moves like these or atleast its not very common.
Not really. Most DoF’s at top clubs come from within. Open to be corrected though.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Not really. Most DoF’s at top clubs come from within. Open to be corrected though.
Yes, it's definitely not unusual for ex-players for to stay at the club in a role close to the team, effectively working as an assistant to the DOF and later on stepping up into that role. Point is, if that's the case they are often effectively nurtured to grow into that role, they aren't thrown in it without preparation.

Which btw is a reason why "jobs for the boys" is not always a bad thing. If they have talent and interest in such roles, why shouldn't they go for it? They at least already know their workplace, and if they work their way up through the ranks and deserve their promotions, there is nothing wrong about it. IF.