Manchester United Sign New Malaysian Sponsorship Deal

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Manchester United have signed a five-year sponsorship deal with Telekom Malaysia, as the Premier League club tires to tap into huge interest in the Far East.

"Anyone who went on our tour of the Far East last summer knows the strength of feeling that Malaysians have for the club," United chief executive David Gill told reporters.

"Over 40,000 attended our training session and another 40,000 came to the second match in Kuala Lumpur, despite only having 48 hours' notice of the fixture."

WireRed

David Gill is a muppet. Malaysian's only have a "feeling" for the club because they are glory hunters. They'd desert us like rats abandoning ship once we have a dry spell in the trophy department.

This is more money lining the Glazer's pockets :mad:

WireRed

And how do you know this ? Or what are you basing this on ?
I'm basing it on the fact they support a team half way across the world, and the team they support has enjoyed lots of glory over the years.

If they "supported" a not so successful club like Hull, Bolton, Man City:smirk: etc then maybe I'd take their claims of loyalty and genuine love of an English club more seriously.

JayWalker

Ball Spotter
Still got the blues for you.. RIP The Loner. Hull
I'm basing it on the fact they support a team half way across the world, and the team they support has enjoyed lots of glory over the years.

If they "supported" a not so successful club like Hull, Bolton, Man City:smirk: etc then maybe I'd take their claims of loyalty and genuine love of an English club more seriously.
You are an idiot then. How the hell does it matter how far off the team they support is. In which case, people from somewhere like new zealand shouldnt support anyone in europe ?
Have you realized the fact that most of these countries are not spoilt for choice and have never been when it comes TV coverage of european football. And were mostly fed with the bigger clubs and their games during the formative years of english football in their country.

Answer me something if you will, genius that you are, if someone from vietnam watches a united game and a bolton game ? Which would be the game he/she is more likely to find entertaining ?
The style of football is major deterrent when it comes to choosing a team to support especially when geography is irrelevant.
You on the other hand just spouted shit like only an ignorant holier-than-thou supporter does.

Zen86

Possible, I think you should give them more credit though.
Maybe they fall in love with the club for other reasons rather than the success we've enjoyed, there's plenty of them afterall.

If I was a basketball fan I wouldn't be watching the English leagues, simply because it's shit. No difference with them supporting English clubs or to be more precise, us.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Do you wan't ketchup with that chip on your shoulder?

B Cantona

Desperate
I think Wirereds point is... they're not supporting Bury now, are they?

Who cares though? I hoping supporting United brings them as much emotion and fulfillment as it does for me

Zen86

Who cares though? I hoping supporting United brings them as much emotion and fulfillment as it does for me
Because Bury games are broadcast on a regular basis in Malaysia, afterall.

Spoony

The People's President

And you support United despite being from Rochdale. . . We've got plenty of other clubs in the NW. But as you say, who cares.

WireRed

You are an idiot then. How the hell does it matter how far off the team they support is. In which case, people from somewhere like new zealand shouldnt support anyone in europe ?
Have you realized the fact that most of these countries are not spoilt for choice and have never been when it comes TV coverage of european football. And were mostly fed with the bigger clubs and their games during the formative years of english football in their country.

Answer me something if you will, genius that you are, if someone from vietnam watches a united game and a bolton game ? Which would be the game he/she is more likely to find entertaining ?
The style of football is major deterrent when it comes to choosing a team to support especially when geography is irrelevant.
You on the other hand just spouted shit like only an ignorant holier-than-thou supporter does.
I don't see how doubting their true loyalty to the club is idiotic.

How can you have a strong bond with a club when you live thousands of miles away and in most cases, have never even been to Manchester?

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
David Gill is a muppet. Malaysian's only have a "feeling" for the club because they are glory hunters. They'd desert us like rats abandoning ship once we have a dry spell in the trophy department.

You're a fecking joke, popularity of our club, we're shown on TV the most there, clearly we're the only club they get exposed to.

Interested to see where you're from... If it's Manchester then apologies but I have no sympathy

Interval

Level

How can you have a strong bond with a club when you live thousands of miles away and in most cases, have never even been to Manchester?
Of course you are right. The United era seems to be ending. Will you help me select a replacement team to support?

:rolleyes:

Noone is claiming that a non English fan who has never been to OT will never share the same connection to the club as a manc. But stop being an ass and stop judging people without knowing them.

B Cantona

Desperate
Because Bury games are broadcast on a regular basis in Malaysia, afterall.
And you support United despite being from Rochdale. . . We've got plenty of other clubs in the NW. But as you say, who cares.
Precisely. No Bury games aren't broadcast to Malaysia, reason being the demand isn't there. Malaysians want to watch United because we're one of the best teams in the world, and because we're very successful. If we dropped a division, that support would wane considerably. Nothing wrong with that, it's just how it is. Of course there's a huge element of 'glory' support implicit there, but why does that matter?

I was born in Dale ay Spoony. But you could just as easily ask Mancs from Droylsden why they don't support their local team given they have one closer than United... it doesn't matter where you're from, it's where you're at. But at the same time, you have to recognize the importance of local support in building football up in the country to the point its at

It's annoying these topics usually descend into 1) folk points scoring with 'top red' jibes, and 2) overseas / non local supporters getting ultra defensive when there really isn't a need. If any one is judging, they're in the minority, and do we really care what they think anyway? If anyone questioned my support for United I'd just laugh at them. And tell them to jog on of course :)

JayWalker

Ball Spotter

Wow. Seriously mate.

Then you must also doubt the loyalties of half the people posting on this forum. Given we have a large and geographically diverse population on this forum. So you think you are better than all of them ? Or as you put it more ' loyal ' ??

I knew plenty of english people who are very loyal towards certain NBA, NFL and MLB teams. Are they gloryhunters too ?

Shimo

These are the kinds of things that make the club worth so much.

It is also why the Glazers have to know they must make money available to make signings. Not shelling out 10, 20 or even 30 million now and a trophyless season or two and the popularity could wane enough to where they aren't signing these kinds of deals regularly.

Not all the United fans globally are glory hunters but, sure enough a lot of them are fans because of the success. The entertainment comes from the success. Even if you are playing brilliant football, at the end of the day if they aren't winning, they aren't going to be as happy.

Face it, no one on the far side of the world is going to start supporting a Bolton or Hull unless they have a tie to them some how. They'll be most exposed to one of the successful teams. For which we are. Doesn't make them any less loyal how they became a supporter.

WireRed

feck off WireRed
I'm not trying to offend anyone, you have just as much right to support any club as the rest of us. The point I'm making is that, if we succumb to the Glazer's debt and take a big fall from grace, would the majority of our fans in the Far East stick with the club? I could be wrong but I think not.

Oh, and you can shove your petty "feck off" comment up your arse. You might not agree with my thoughts but why not discuss it rather than acting like I've personally insulted you?

Zen86

Precisely. No Bury games aren't broadcast to Malaysia, reason being the demand isn't there. Malaysians want to watch United because we're one of the best teams in the world, and because we're very successful. If we dropped a division, that support would wane considerably. Nothing wrong with that, it's just how it is. Of course there's a huge element of 'glory' support implicit there, but why does that matter?

I was born in Dale ay Spoony. But you could just as easily ask Mancs from Droylsden why they don't support their local team given they have one closer than United... it doesn't matter where you're from, it's where you're at. But at the same time, you have to recognize the importance of local support in building football up in the country to the point its at

It's annoying these topics usually descend into 1) folk points scoring with 'top red' jibes, and 2) overseas / non local supporters getting ultra defensive when there really isn't a need. If any one is judging, they're in the minority, and do we really care what they think anyway? If anyone questioned my support for United I'd just laugh at them. And tell them to jog on of course :)
Thing is, this assumption that if United go down they'll fob us off can be applied to anyone based outside the Manchester area. Even people from Dale and Droylsden :smirk:

WireRed

Wow. Seriously mate.

Then you must also doubt the loyalties of half the people posting on this forum. Given we have a large and geographically diverse population on this forum. So you think you are better than all of them ? Or as you put it more ' loyal ' ??

I knew plenty of english people who are very loyal towards certain NBA, NFL and MLB teams. Are they gloryhunters too ?
Would they support us if we had not had the success we've had in the last 15 years? The answer in most cases is no.

I see Chelsea are getting big in the Far East, they weren't before they won a few pots.

It's undeniable that most of these fans were attracted to us because of our success. I don't see how you can debate that.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
:rolleyes: oh dear

B Cantona

Desperate
Thing is, this assumption that if United go down they'll fob us off can be applied to anyone based outside the Manchester area. Even people from Dale and Droylsden :smirk:
It can apply to folk in Manchester, it can apply to any folk

The deeper your ties to the club, the less likely it is to happen though

Those ties might not necessarily mean place of birth... but equally, it might

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies

Every word of this post is fecking awesome.

Spoony

The People's President

Yes. Let's be honest, Greater Mcr/Manchester is full of United fans - a large portion are Sky generation who have clearly been attracted by our success. Some parts of Manchester were blue strongholds but over the years they've become Red. Sure, most are armchair fans, but they're fans nonetheless. Fact is if you were to walk around Manchester City Centre you'd be hard pushed to find City shirts thanks largely to our success - having said that we've always outnumbered them.

x42bn6

Having lived in Malaysia, I can confirm that Malaysians are generally glory-hunters anyway - when Chelsea were having success, you could find loads of Chelsea shirts everywhere and there was a distinct lack of "support" for other clubs.

That said, Manchester United are huge in South-East Asia. Liverpool and Arsenal also have sizable fanbases although they don't touch us in that region.

Zen86

True, there are some diehard supporters in places like Malaysia though. I've come across Bolton fans from places like that for one.. Bolton!!

air_mood

Right, right. I probably should have jumped on the Le Arse bandwagon in 2004 then and to Chelski in 2005.

Going to take Brad's advice though. I got nothing to prove to WireRed.

For the record, I know quite a number of Chelsea fans who were fans before Abramovich, their main attraction being fans of Zola and ultimately then, the club. Then again I do know quite a few who started supporting Chelsea after the influx of superstars.

I myself was a fan of Eric The King at first, then United. Eric was the one who attracted me to United.

JayWalker

Ball Spotter
Would they support us if we had not had the success we've had in the last 15 years? The answer in most cases is no.

I see Chelsea are getting big in the Far East, they weren't before they won a few pots.

It's undeniable that most of these fans were attracted to us because of our success. I don't see how you can debate that.
You honestly are a joke.
Some is keyword here. There are united fans all over the world. Every country has their share of gloryhunters among those united fans whether it be the UK or malaysia or anywhere else.
Making a demeaning generalization about all of them on the basis of geography like you did is just wrong no matter how you try to put it.

Hardly and I can debate that. Because there's plenty of things to love about united. Plenty of factors that can draw someone into following united.
Success is one of them, but it is not the only one.

Hell, do you know how religiously Liverpool are also supported in that part of the world ? Now i think we can all agree that liverpool as a club have only declined in the recent years in terms of success on the pitch. But their support in that part of the world remains just as strong. Which is the same for Arsenal.
Different characteristics of different clubs draw supporters into following them. For you to say that success is THE only one is wrong and highly naive and misinformed on your part.

air_mood

True, there are some diehard supporters in places like Malaysia though. I've come across Bolton fans from places like that for one.. Bolton!!
There's a bar in an island called Langkawi called Bolton Wanderers FC bar. It's owned by foreigners though I think. Was on holiday at the island this past weekend and went around looking for a place to watch the game against Wolves. Drove around, got to the bar and saw that they had the Spurs-Fulham game on so I asked about whether it's possible to put on the United game. Were told that they were ABU's though so had to look elsewhere.

soulblight3r

I'm Malaysian and I have to say I have no doubts whatsoever that I'll continue following the club even they were to languish in the lower divisions. The only problem then would be of course the lack of United games shown if it ever were to happen.

You can doubt me and the rest of my fellow countrymen as much as you want. It doesn't matter to us anyway. There's no need to prove our loyalty and support and no need to explain in any great length why we choose to do so.

All true reds only hail from Salford afterall right?

x42bn6

Yeah, forgot to mention that there are a decent number of "true fans" in Malaysia. There's a Newcastle United official fan club in the country too, I think.

It's just that I don't think that really applies to the majority of people who fill Bukit Jalil Stadium every time Manchester United come along.

WireRed

You honestly are a joke.
Some is keyword here. There are united fans all over the world. Every country has their share of gloryhunters among those united fans whether it be the UK or malaysia or anywhere else.
Making a demeaning generalization about all of them on the basis of geography like you did is just wrong no matter how you try to put it.

Hardly and I can debate that. Because there's plenty of things to love about united. Plenty of factors that can draw someone into following united.
Success is one of them, but it is not the only one.

Hell, do you know how religiously Liverpool are also supported in that part of the world ? Now i think we can all agree that liverpool as a club have only declined in the recent years in terms of success on the pitch. But their support in that part of the world remains just as strong. Which is the same for Arsenal.
Different characteristics of different clubs draw supporters into following them. For you to say that success is THE only one is wrong and highly naive and misinformed on your part.
Liverpool may have declined but they have had success and are still the most successful club in this country. That is the main reason they are followed globally.

Success isn't the only reason for their alliegence but it is the main one. If you don't agree with that then tell me why everyone outside the top 4 plus new money City are largely footnotes in terms of being well supported globally?

How am I a joke? I'm annoyed the Glazer's have yet another windfall, so maybe I was a little over-zelous in my points about our Far East support. But I stand by my opinion on this matter. Just because you disagree with my opinion does not make me a joke, just as me disagreeing with you, doesn't make you a joke either.

Don't be so petty and childish.

x42bn6

Oh and Telekom Malaysia, piss-poor company. :mad: Now that United are sponsoring them, the odds of them unbundling last-mile connections and opening up the stupidly-crap and monopolised broadband market in Malaysia. In the past 4 years, Malaysia have gone from 512kbps connections to 1Mbps connections being standard and they're forced to pay stupid amounts for that too.

Why couldn't they have gone for some cool company like DiGi or something? :(

soulblight3r

Oh and Telekom Malaysia, piss-poor company. :mad: Now that United are sponsoring them, the odds of them unbundling last-mile connections and opening up the stupidly-crap and monopolised broadband market in Malaysia. In the past 4 years, Malaysia have gone from 512kbps connections to 1Mbps connections being standard and they're forced to pay stupid amounts for that too.

Why couldn't they have gone for some cool company like DiGi or something? :(
Well said. Telekom is crap.

B Cantona

Desperate
Wherever anyone from here comes from, the fact they're willing to waste large portions of their day talking about the club to random strangers they'll probably never meets shows a certain level of devotion, enough to suggest if United did decline, they wouldn't be jumping ship

There are different levels of support though, from the devout hard core, to the not give much of a shit but loosely claim United is your team... yipee, that's life! It's about the enjoyment you personally get from the side at the end of the day

I will say that I don't think an overseas supporter can get quite the same sense of joy that someone watching the game at the stadium does. I've been in both boats, no question where its at... I hope folk still go watch their local sides when they can't attend United, because watching live football is great. And hopefully you get to make it to OT at some point, some of us might get a bit spoiled with it doing it every other week... but it's something else

JayWalker

Ball Spotter
Liverpool may have declined but they have had success and are still the most successful club in this country. That is the main reason they are followed globally.

Success isn't the only reason for their alliegence but it is the main one. If you don't agree with that then tell me why everyone outside the top 4 plus new money City are largely footnotes in terms of being well supported globally?

How am I a joke? I'm annoyed the Glazer's have yet another windfall, so maybe I was a little over-zelous in my points about our Far East support. But I stand by my opinion on this matter. Just because you disagree with my opinion does not make me a joke, just as me disagreeing with you, doesn't make you a joke either.

Don't be so petty and childish.
You really are deluding yourself.

Ehm, Style of football for one, lack of coverage for other games another and quite frankly, the most important factor. As you might or might know if there are 5 games lined up for 3pm kick off, most of the countries besides the UK, will only show the games involving either of the top 4, hence not giving other teams a fair chance to begin with. But dont let details like this spoil your view.

Are you honestly telling me, besides the success, we dont have anything on the basis of which we can draw more supporters ? :rolleyes:

Honestly, You are a joke and an embarassment with your top red attitude. Please continue on your tirade.

WireRed

You really are deluding yourself.

Ehm, Style of football for one, lack of coverage for other games another and quite frankly, the most important factor. As you might or might know if there are 5 games lined up for 3pm kick off, most of the countries besides the UK, will only show the games involving either of the top 4, hence not giving other teams a fair chance to begin with. But dont let details like this spoil your view.

Are you honestly telling me, besides the success, we dont have anything on the basis of which we can draw more supporters ? :rolleyes:

Honestly, You are a joke and an embarassment with your top red attitude. Please continue on your tirade.
Read my post again. I said success was the main reason, not the only reason. The factors you mention draw supporters to United aswell but success remains the biggest pull, and always will do.

I see you are determined to be childish about this, I'm not going to stoop to your level.

Top red attitude? Pull the other one. I'm not a top red nor do I claim to be one. I've never been to an away game, I'm not from Manchester. So how can I have top red attitude?

Get off your high horse. Your opinion counts no more than mine. So be a little more respectful rather than chucking insults around.