Kick-off
Wed, 6 December 2023 @ 8:15pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

FerociousCorgis

the starting midfield/midfield subs has to be the worst in the top half by far. Cant even be close. Know there are some injuries but amazing how much work still needs to be done moving forward for the midfield.

lsd

The Oracle
    Thinking of lumping on Chelsea tonight at 6/4 it's just easy money

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
    Supports
    MK Dons
    A lot of people are saying this, but ten Hag clearly doesn't see or want Mainoo as an 8 type of player to play in the half spaces, but rather prefers him as a first phase player, and actually, I do, too.

I think, the fact that ten Hag bought Mount tells you everything about the type of profile he wanted in midfield, i.e. running off the ball, goals, etc. McTominay, whether people like him or not, is the closest profile to Mount, and I believe that's exactly why he's in there.
    I would agree that Ten Hag obviously wants that kind of midfield, and that's actually worrying part. Most of people here thought he is something that he clearly isn't, because the style of football we have played in last year or so is obviously pretty close to what Ten Hag actually wants to play.

Just further confirms that the praise he put for Everton and Galatasaray games is realistic, he really thought we played well those games. And that's exactly why we need another manager because he is not good enough.

Amar__

Supports
    MK Dons
    So, he dropped Rashford because fans told him so? What a great manager we have.

Chumpsbechumps

Evra and shearer really going after players, good to see

No fan should excuse players not working hard by blaming managers

Raven

Constructive. And insightful.
    Why does he persist with a non existent midfield? His instructions clearly are not working, why is there always a million miles between our front 5 and our back 5? Why can't he get McTominay to track his runners or start from further down the pitch a little? If that's not possible, why doesn't he play a different player instead?

Alemar

Amrabat and Mctomminay, feck me.
    ETH should’ve expelled McTominay from senior squad for underperformance. Instead he starts him like 20th time in a row :(

What does ETH see in him? It should be something than no one else notices.

Terry Chango

What changes would you have made?
    That’s what I want to know.

Looking at the bench we don’t have any other options. I get the excitement for kobbie but he can’t play every game.

Maybe pellistri for Antony but that’s not obvious and AWB for Dalot doesn’t seem like a game changer to me.

Varane, Cas, Licha, mount and Eriksen are injured. Rashford and martial have benched themselves for being shite and Sancho has ruled himself out.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    Thinking of lumping on Chelsea tonight at 6/4 it's just easy money
    Regardless of what happens tonight, the betting odds should be a monumental wake-up for some as to where we are versus even the Chelsea clown car.

Walters_19_MuFc

You're right, but that's the worrying part. That he still thinks this setup will work with the options we have. It was more about us hoping ten Hag would change the setup rather than using Mainoo as an attack minded 8.
    Call me crazy, but I think we've been better of late. Against Copenhagen and Galatasary, I believe we arguably saw our best performances this season. Yes, results didn't go our way, but we looked better as an attacking unit, we controlled the games, and pressed relatively well. Yes, having a ball player in place of McTominay would obviously take us to another level, but recently, ten Hag has asked Bruno to do the ball playing stuff, with McTominay focusing on stretching the opposition defence. It's similar to what we see with Havertz (runner) and Odegaard (playmaker) at Arsenal. Problem is, Bruno is too erratic in possession, at times.

IncyWincySpider

That starting eleven will work hard and give it their all, you can say that about them, at least.

That said I think we're well due an absolute pumping at home and I've got a bad feeling about this one.

Ace of Spades

Why even is VDB on the bench, a player who was all but told to find a new club. Where is Hannibal, and if he is injured I would have Gore ahead of VDB, who already knows that his time here is over.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Makes sense. Questionable points to the team were keeping Shaw at LCB or moving him to LB, RB is 50/50 anyway, Mainoo vs amrabat i get rotating between them game to game. Front 4 picks itself right now (based on others more dropping out rather than these deserving to be in, must be said).

More than player selection, what matters is tactical instructions. We'll see what Ten Hag has in mind.

bdspeedy

Oly ball 2 years after he's gone. Are we at rock bottom yet? Please, for the love of Cantona. Ten Hag still giving us fans the big "feck you". Starting McTominay and Magaloff seems like he's angling to get shitcanned while still getting paid out. Varane dropped again to prove some petty, never explained point? I back the manager but only because there's NO other choice. We fans need to strike the team and show WHO actually matters. Not the owners, managers or players. They can all "go feck themselves".

edgecutter

How McTominay keeps getting game will always puzzle me. Surely at this stage you give a youngster a chance over a poor to average midfielder? It's a joke he's still at the club.

Ludens the Red

We’ve decided to start without a midfield again. And what Diogo Dalot need to do to have a spell out the team?

Chumpsbechumps

That’s what I want to know.

Looking at the bench we don’t have any other options. I get the excitement for kobbie but he can’t play every game.

Maybe pellistri for Antony but that’s not obvious and AWB for Dalot doesn’t seem like a game changer to me.

Varane, Cas, Licha, mount and Eriksen are injured. Rashford and martial have benched themselves for being shite and Sancho has ruled himself out.
    What’s even more remarkable is looking at that central defence and central midfield and people are wondering how the manager is struggling to get his style up and running.

And now people think banking on an unproven 18 year old is an acceptable situation for our manager to be in. He should bin a more experienced McT for a lad who hasn’t played 5 games for the team. Yeh the problem is all the manager …

People complain about certain players starting as if ETH has a loaded bench of quality.

Matt Varnish

Looking at it and taking bad performances and injuries into account, it's the best of a bad bunch.
    The choice of subs points towards EtH expecting this to be a draw at best.

Amar__

Supports
    MK Dons
    I am not a fan of EtH at all, but Rashford deserved to be dropped
    He needed to be dropped long time ago, not when fans made a riot about his last performance. He's been playing like this for half a year now, but he reacted just after the public shaming after Newcastle.

FerociousCorgis

Why even is VDB on the bench, a player who was all but told to find a new club. Where is Hannibal, and if he is injured I would have Gore ahead of VDB, who already knows that his time here is over.
    pretty much how i feel. Just wasted time. Seriously we couldnt even give vdb away, and here he is in the squad for a big matchup against chelsea. LVG was pretty boring at times but at least he gave youngsters a chance.

always_hoping

Dalot chosen over Wan Bisska who has a good record at shuting down Sterling. McTominay chosen to start again? at least both Martial and Rashford was dropped.

a sore back the excuse given for no Varane on the squad tonight. Does sitting on the bench give you that?

LDUred

Imagine telling someone in the mid 2000s that United-Chelsea would be second billing to City-Villa.

Everything used to be at stake in these games.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 325 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw