Sat, 8 December 2018 @ 3:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 4 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

el3mel

We had proper midfield because Mata played . Not because Pogba was out
    We had a proper midfield because we were without someone who dwells on the ball and is half arsed in his pressing.

Pogba is a terrible CM and if he's going to play he should only play up front in number 10 or 9.5 or something. Him and Fellaini are terrible to have in the middle of the park.

steffyr2

We still gave it away stupidly a few times and failed to dominate possession in the second half.

But I guess the trend is to hate Pog then.
    Let me repeat, "WE DIDN'T STAND THERE AND WATCH THEM RUN AWAY WITH IT".

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
    United and Barrow AFC
    Disappointed with the 2nd half, we really should have gone for it more. Still, a decent performance after the past few weeks.
    + goal difference at long last

Ranchero

So what are you saying, that we can beat the worst team in the league without our best outfield player?

I should bloody well hope so too.
    Do you not remember being three nil down to bottom of the table Newcastle at half time? No. I don't think so.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
    He loves it, however, when we are losing to Juventus at half time and sees one of his former teammates at Juventus as he walks off. Oh it's all smiles and isn't life great. He is unprofessional.
    He is essential to our hopes of gaining a top-four spot, no two ways about it.

His professionalism, or lack thereof, can be assessed properly by the new manager when he finally arrives.

I don't think it's fair to judge any of our players under Jose's guidance, not in terms of their ability or attitude.

Ranchero

We had a proper midfield because we were without someone who dwells on the ball and is half arsed in his pressing.

Pogba is a terrible CM and if he's going to play he should only play up front in number 10 or 9.5 or something. Him and Fellaini are terrible to have in the middle of the park.
    You never have debates about where someone should play with great players. Pogba has played in all sorts of positions. Fact is he sulking wantouter who doesn't put in the effort and is a ringleader for poisonous anti-Mourinho dialogue. He is poison never mind virus.

Nogbadthebad

It worked today because, unlike every other team we have played recently, they let matic have the time to do his thing.

When he has even a small amount of pressure put on his form collapses. Today, they let him play.

That is the midfield difference. And it won't happen again, and certainly not against Liverpool. Matic is a season past his sell-by date.

LoveFootball

Did you watch Pogba at Juve or in the French NT? Pogba a terrible CM? :houllier:

Canagel

We also played Derby and Young boys without him and were half arsed in the pressing . Part of it is down to Dalot my MOTM and Mata linking everything together. Fulham are the worst team that will come OT and II'd be worried if we couldn't beat them without our best outfield player

Mr PG

God that was exactly like Welbeck. Does all the hard shit with ease then smacks it into the keeper.
    Fatigue plays huge role especially on weaker players. He really needs to learn to stop being so selfish though. Mata was in better positions to score a few times.

el3mel

It worked today because, unlike every other team we have played recently, they let matic have the time to do his thing.

When he has even a small amount of pressure put on his form collapses. Today, they let him play.

That is the midfield difference. And it won't happen again, and certainly not against Liverpool. Matic is a season past his sell-by date.
    Don't get me wrong Matic needs to be dropped too.

I'll play Herrera as a DMF and Fred as box to box. Doesn't change that Pogba is terrible to have in the middle of the park for obvious reasons.

Ranchero

He is essential to our hopes of gaining a top-four spot, no two ways about it.

His professionalism, or lack thereof, can be assessed properly by the new manager when he finally arrives.

I don't think it's fair to judge any of our players under Jose's guidance, not in terms of their ability or attitude.
    A Pogba with the right attitude and showing some effort and desire, yes. A Pogba not giving a sh*t is a waste of space and should be dumped.

Ranchero

Don't get me wrong Matic needs to be dropped too.

I'll play Herrera as a DMF and Fred as box to box. Doesn't change that Pogba is terrible to have in the middle of the park for obvious reasons.
    I agree. Matic is over the hill and far too slow. Herrera and Fred for me too.

el3mel

We also played Derby and Young boys without him and were half arsed in the pressing . Part of it is down to Dalot my MOTM and Mata linking everything together.
    Because Fellaini was there, as I said, both him and Pogba are terrible in the middle of the park. Herrera made the difference.

Ranchero

Someone ought to add up the number of posts you've made referencing Pogba in this thread. For educational purposes.
    There, you've gone and done it. You should also count the number of times i have used the word 'the' as well. For educational purposes.

Ranchero

Did you watch Pogba at Juve or in the French NT? Pogba a terrible CM? :houllier:
    It's pointless pointing to the times he played well elsewhere, because at that point he was actually putting in a shift. Fact is he is playing like he doesn't care, is sulking about Mourinho and he just has to get on with it. But he doesn't.

el3mel

Having Pirlo and Vidal covering up for his arse.

Pogba dwells on the ball, a passenger off it and is half arsed in pressing. You don't want a player like this in the middle of the park, simply, unless you're covering his arse with world class around him.

I'll throw him upfront as he'll be more helpful and his flaws will be masked.

Raven

You never have debates about where someone should play with great players. Pogba has played in all sorts of positions. Fact is he sulking wantouter who doesn't put in the effort and is a ringleader for poisonous anti-Mourinho dialogue. He is poison never mind virus.
    I don't know how some people watch football. He's clearly our best player with the exception of De Gea, but because we got a good win against what looks to be the worst team in the league, we don't need Pogba?

You're words are fat more poisonous than Pogba.

Rolaholic

That 'proper MF' worked so well against mighty Newcastle didn't it...

sideshow_bob

Supports
    Healthy nutrition
    4 goals from 4 different scorers. And we missed a few really good scoring opportunities. Quite enjoyed this match.

We're turning the corner lads! :D

Canagel

He's the only 'virus' that most clubs would love to have :lol:
    Part of me wants him to go Juve in January and absolutely tear it up winning his first CL title . Would love to read some of the posts around here

Steerpike

That 'proper MF' worked so well against mighty Newcastle didn't it...
    Not sure of your point there. Pogba was in the midfield from the start, and we trailed 2-0 at half time. Fellaini was introduced after the break and was instrumental in the fight back (to be fair, everyone played better after the break, Pogba included)

Back to today's game, again there was a lot more pace, intensity and invention. I think everyone put in a decent performance, but the standouts were the two full backs plus Rashford and Mata. I'd say it was a very close call between Dalot and Young for MoM, but I've gone for Young.

I enjoyed the performance, but I can't get carried away - Fulham looked like a poor side, and the next two games - Valencia and Liverpool, both away - will be much sterner tests.

RepardReece

Not sure of your point there. Pogba was in the midfield from the start, and we trailed 2-0 at half time. Fellaini was introduced after the break and was instrumental in the fight back (to be fair, everyone played better after the break, Pogba included)

Back to today's game, again there was a lot more pace, intensity and invention. I think everyone put in a decent performance, but the standouts were the two full backs plus Rashford and Mata. I'd say it was a very close call between Dalot and Young for MoM, but I've gone for Young.

I enjoyed the performance, but I can't get carried away - Fulham looked like a poor side, and the next two games - Valencia and Liverpool, both away - will be much sterner tests.
    Fellaini wasn't instrumental in that comeback, everyone was in the second half. I'm pretty sure Mourinho knew he was about to be sacked so let them go out with freedom, for once. And we played like we usually do today it's just Fulham are passive in defence (like we are) and that's why they were exposed. Start of the second half we was poor because they became a bit faster.

Point is, if a games slow, Mourinhos team is most likely going to win the game. But most managers nowadays such as all the top 5 are faster pace, and that's why he's suffering. His game style is old. He can't last at United.

Steerpike

Fellaini wasn't instrumental in that comeback, everyone was in the second half. I'm pretty sure Mourinho knew he was about to be sacked so let them go out with freedom, for once. And we played like we usually do today it's just Fulham are passive in defence (like we are) and that's why they were exposed. Start of the second half we was poor because they became a bit faster.

Point is, if a games slow, Mourinhos team is most likely going to win the game. But most managers nowadays such as all the top 5 are faster pace, and that's why he's suffering. His game style is old. He can't last at United.
    Your observation regarding Fellaini is unfair - he certainly was instrumental in the comeback against Newcastle - but I accept your point that the team was in all likelihood allowed more freedom in an attempt to recover the situation (similar to the recovery away to City the previous season).

I also agree with you that we have played at too slow a pace for most of the season, but there has been an improvement in the last couple of games (the stat for sprints against Arsenal is very revealing). The big question is whether the slow pace in our game has been in part due to Pogba's performances, and the improvement has therefore been achieved by leaving him out. My view is that it has, but opinion on that is clearly divided.

I'm no fan of Mourinho, and I agree that his preferred style of play looks old fashioned and ineffective. I'd be delighted if the club got rid of him, but I'm still very happy to see the faster more aggressive performances in the last two games.

PepsiCola

are you sure you don't mean, "feel free to watch the game with your own two eyes".
    Yeah let's drop the same Pogba who saved Jose's job against Jose, while Matic who has been woeful for a year gets away with it.

It's double standards.

Yes Pogba deserved to be dropped, but this talk of virus is a joke.

I mean Balon D'or winner Modric was voted worst signing of a year under Mourinho. It's almost as if he has a record of top class players being worse under his management.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Diogo Dalot image Diogo Dalot 42% of 483 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 306 ratings.

Score Predictions