Kick-off
Tue, 18 May 2021 @ 6:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Redlyn

Ah. The table. Hope you watch our games too and not just the table.
    I don't need to. The table is sufficient evidence on this particular topic. That far superior second best team of yours are so great but don't have the points to prove it.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
    I don't need to. The table is sufficient evidence on this particular topic. That far superior second best team of yours are so great but don't have the points to prove it.
    Chill. Drink some water and then attack the keyboard.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
    Good point, since 3rd or 4th is the absolute best this team and manager can do. And whom are we kidding, we are not the second best team in the land by any stretch of imagination.
    If we finish second, we're officially the second best side in the league.

The league table doesn't lie as they say.

pascell

Think they said on Sky we've had 6 0-0 draws at home this season, add the Leeds 0-0, Everton 3-3 and this one, it shows we're a long way off challenging for the title.

Our defence isn't solid enough to grind out the gritty 1-0 wins and our attack isn't clinical enough to win games not only comfortably, which tonight should've been.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
    That was my initial comment but some people like to play thick. As you were....
    I said it was pretty good compared to the more prominent booing that’s been heard at other stadiums. If you think that’s me saying that the booing in general was a good thing, then I don’t know what to tell you.

red woppit

Supports
    Northampton Town
    We keep conceding the same type of far post cross goals, don’t we learn anything from our own mistakes
    I honestly believe we need a 'defence coach', I've been on about this for months. AWB is a prime example of being a decent player when faced with one on one, or even going forward and getting crosses in (still needs to work on that though), but when there are two or three things happening at the same time, looking along the line, looking for the man you are supposed to be marking, watching the CB's to make sure they haven't lost their own player, then he struggles. A defence minded coach would be working on those situations non stop, with the whole defence, and individual players. It's no surprise really that defenders tend to perform better and more consistently when they are late twenties, and even into their thirties, as they gain a lot of valuable experience while making those type of mistakes when younger, exactly what AWB is doing now. I've no doubt that he could become a top FB, but he looks what he is, quite inexperienced, and tends to switch of at times, Shaw on the other hand tends to be in the right place at the right time generally, but even so all players will make mistakes, especially those who do not play regularly, Henderson, Williams, Tuanzebe, even Bailly, who is an experienced player, but just doesn't play enough. Forward players, and attacking midfielders tend to be more instinctive, until they are over coached to play a particular way, which then makes them more predictable. Tonights game appears to have been played half heartedly by some players, with obviously one eye on the final next week.

United492

AWB is always making last ditch tackles, which he is lauded for, and rightly so, but (and it's a big but), he shouldn't get into that position in the first place. It's all about reading the game. Carrick was the master of this. He rarely tackled, he intercepted, and that for me is what springs counter attacks more than anything, anticipating and intercepting. If you're having to make a last ditch tackle, it's because you've been found wanting elsewhere.

Just an opinion

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
    Supports
    Big Days
    AWB is always making last ditch tackles, which he is lauded for, and rightly so, but (and it's a big but), he shouldn't get into that position in the first place. It's all about reading the game. Carrick was the master of this. He rarely tackled, he intercepted, and that for me is what springs counter attacks more than anything, anticipating and intercepting. If you're having to make a last ditch tackle, it's because you've been found wanting elsewhere.

Just an opinion
    That logic doesn’t apply to fullbacks. It applies to centre backs and defensive midfielders because their entire focus during the game is centred around their positioning. Fullbacks on the other hand are expected to bomb forward and abandon the optimum defensive positioning and as such a lot of their play will always be reactive.

If we finish second, we're officially the second best side in the league.

The league table doesn't lie as they say.
    You think we were really the second best team when we finished second under Jose? I did too, but those without tinted lenses said the only team likely to challenge City the following years was Liverpool. So yes, while second is great, sometimes you can observe a team that finished lower having more potential ability then a team that finished higher.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
    Don’t be silly, we dominated the game and should have scored at least 3, we just didn’t finish our chances. It literally doesn’t matter, top 4 is already in the bag. You put money on us to win or something?
    so winning doesn't matter to you? sorry, but I'm not that type of United fan - and I never gamble; and never would on my team

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
    That logic doesn’t apply to fullbacks. It applies to centre backs and defensive midfielders because their entire focus during the game is centred around their positioning. Fullbacks on the other hand are expected to bomb forward and abandon the optimum defensive positioning and as such a lot of their play will always be reactive.
    Well,. AWB's crosses aren't exactly great either. The best defenders - wherever they play along the back line - have a great sense of positioning. AWB's is awful. I've lost count the number of times he's played people on side, whichhas nothing to do with "bombing forward"

Cast5

so winning doesn't matter to you? sorry, but I'm not that type of United fan - and I never gamble; and never would on my team
    What type of United fan are you? One that goes into meltdown when we draw at home in a game that meant nothing, you’re acting like we sat back for 90 minutes and lost 42-0 to Burnley to relegate us to the championship. Get over it.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
    What type of United fan are you? One that goes into meltdown when we draw at home in a game that meant nothing, you’re acting like we sat back for 90 minutes and lost 42-0 to Burnley to relegate us to the championship. Get over it.
    no point even trying to respond to that drivel and illogic

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 167 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Fulham win