Kick-off
Sun, 17 March 2024 @ 3:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bertie Wooster

Thats not the same as parking the bus. We are playing Liverpool in the FA cup at Old Trafford with key players back. No reason whatsoever to park the bus. Keep it tight, sure but step out 10-15 yards more than we did last time.
    They're 'back', in terms of finally ready to be considered for matchday squads, but I'd say this game is too early to say the likes of Mount and AWB are really back in terms of ready to start games and be immediately up to speed.

This is just the first tentative steps to them properly being back - having been out for months I'd expect nothing more than sub appearances where they understandably look rusty and have to build up their match fitness and sharpness over a few appearances.

Hojlund's only missed 4 games, so he should hopefully look sharper - unless we've rushed him back too soon out of desperation.

But it sounds like Evans and Casemiro might now be the latest to be injured. So rather than key players (starters) being back, we're probably in a slightly worse position once again - with some just about 'back' to feature as subs, but two more likely starters out injured and just one, Hojlund, back enough to maybe start.

tombombadil

They're 'back', in terms of finally ready to be considered for matchday squads, but I'd say this game is too early to say the likes of Mount and AWB are really back in terms of ready to start games and be immediately up to speed.

This is just the first tentative steps to them properly being back - having been out for months I'd expect nothing more than sub appearances where they understandably look rusty and have to build up their match fitness and sharpness over a few appearances.

Hojlund's only missed 4 games, so he should hopefully look sharper - unless we've rushed him back too soon out of desperation.

But it sounds like Evans and Casemiro might now be the latest to be injured. So rather than key players (starters) being back, we're probably in a slightly worse position once again - with some just about 'back' to feature as subs, but two more likely starters out injured and just one, Hojlund, back enough to maybe start.
    Spot on. Couldn't agree more.
    And this is against Liverpool who just gave city a run for their money we're talking about.

Bertie Wooster

Who is the biggest liability going into this game for us if you had to pick one player?
    Well, with no fit LB it'll probably be whichever poor sod has to play there out of position and face Liverpool's dangerous attacks. But that's unfair to class them as a liability in that scenario.

So, as regards players playing in their correct position, I'd say it's probably going to be whichever of our squad CM's comes in for Casemiro if he's missing the game injured. Not got much faith in the likes of Eriksen, Amrabat or McTominay (playing deep), and it's too soon for Mount to immediately start having been out so long.

Think we'd always have struggled with the midfield battle, but if Casemiro is out then it's not even going to be a battle.

DRJosh

Supports
    United minus the Glazers
    Well, with no fit LB it'll probably be whichever poor sod has to play there out of position and face Liverpool's dangerous attacks. But that's unfair to class them as a liability in that scenario.

So, as regards players playing in their correct position, I'd say it's probably going to be whichever of our squad CM's comes in for Casemiro if he's missing the game injured. Not got much faith in the likes of Eriksen, Amrabat or McTominay (playing deep), and it's too soon for Mount to immediately start having been out so long.

Think we'd always have struggled with the midfield battle, but if Casemiro is out then it's not even going to be a battle.
    Good point. For me it will be Amrabat if he is playing. Seems lost in midfield and the pace of the EPL doesn’t suit him at all. Liverpool’s quick counter press and transition play will trouble him

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
    Good point. For me it will be Amrabat if he is playing. Seems lost in midfield and the pace of the EPL doesn’t suit him at all. Liverpool’s quick counter press and transition play will trouble him
    Amrabat will get absolutely violated as a full back. He is really bad.

PoTMS

Any way we can get this one called off? Maybe get the Scouse fecks to play Tuesday-Thursday like we had to the last time it got postponed. That was the start of the batterings.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
    Amrabat played well in the game agaisnt them earlier in the season so I’m optimistic he can do a job. Rather that than play Mr Invisible back there.

RedChisel

Yes it's shallow and small time but beat these feckers and all is forgiven for me for Erik and the players as far as this season is concerned.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Wow, Casemiro out. We cant catch a break, just when our players look to be returning :lol:

Agree about certain players needing match rhythm. I'm going to punt on a Bruno mainoo pivot with direct ball to McT behind Hojlund. Might well work..

mintyred

Can’t see anything other than a bus parking and counter-attacking. I have no issues with this as it is the best we can do at the moment. Whatever people say about him, Casemiro is a loss today and we're overall better with him. Aside from Mainoo, our other CDMs aren't great.

I wouldn't be surprised if we started hot out the blocks today pressing high, and that would take Liverpool by surprise, so if we do that we have to capitalise.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
    Can’t see anything other than a bus parking and counter-attacking. I have no issues with this as it is the best we can do at the moment. Whatever people say about him, Casemiro is a loss today and we're overall better with him. Aside from Mainoo, our other CDMs aren't great.

I wouldn't be surprised if we started hot out the blocks today pressing high, and that would take Liverpool by surprise, so if we do that we have to capitalise.
    I think we’ll kick off, hit it long and then instantly sit back deep in our own half.
    mixed thoughts on what the result will be, we know that they will have more than enough chances to score, it just depends how good their finishing is and if we can take our few chances when they come. Like every other game of ours, whether it’s against Man City or Luton, the result is a lottery.

AndyMUFC

It’d be nice if Wan-Bissaka was fit enough to start and play at least an hour, as he’s really handy in these sort of games and we wouldn’t have to play Lindelof at left back against Salah.

SER19

Onana, AWB, Maguire, Varane, Dalot - Mainoo, Casemiro, Fernandes - Garnacho, Hojlund, Rashford.

If those players are fit it's a bit stronger than we've looked lately. I think we play with a little less pressure in the cups so hopefully we actually have a go.

edit: just saw casemiro is out. we cant get a break. Its been one back one out all season.

Von Mistelroum

Who is the biggest liability going into this game for us if you had to pick one player?
    The large gap at left wing won't help, and then behind that we will have a player who's not a left back playing at left back. So can I say the whole left side? Because really we'll only have a makeshift left back on that whole side!

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
    The large gap at left wing won't help, and then behind that we will have a player who's not a left back playing at left back. So can I say the whole left side? Because really we'll only have a makeshift left back on that whole side!
    I was hoping Dalot might be LB? (and regardless of AWB availability for me)

Xaviboy

AWB at right back today please, Diaz going to be handful. Need someone that can stand up and get tackle in. Dalot have awful time with him.

Gave Kyle Walker a run for his money last week in 1 on 1s. Very unpredictable he is Diaz.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    It'll definitely be McTominay next to Mainoo starting today with Casemiro injured, given Mctominay can actually be an energetic and physical presence in there. And the set piece impact.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Most definitely... Klopp bowing out with a domestic treble (add the EL as a bonus) gives them more than enough fuel to spin narratives. The wankfest is well and truly on. Let's hope we can do something about it.

Rojofiam

Would love to see a Mainoo - Amrabat - Mount midfield, but it's probably too early for Mount.

Melville Red

We have a great history in the cup against these feckers so I’m hoping a bit of 70’s magic will rub off on our players today. 2-1 United.

Superunknown

I think we'll win ugly. It'll be a scrappy, dirty 1-0 victory. Could be something like a Bruno penalty in the 71st minute or something. We're being written off after a shite season and all of the talk is on Liverpool coming and battering us.

Logic says we should lose this comfortably. But, we're an illogical team. Therefore, we'll win. :devil:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 365 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw