Kick-off
Sun, 16 October 2022 @ 2:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    Such a classic fixture. Much more to see than United vs Newcastle. Makes me wonder why I bother actually paying for Sky Sports.
    Hate that they are only showing 30 mins highlights later. So means I will need to sit through MUTV's coverage. Why could they have at least put one as a later game.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
    Phew. Thought he got injured in training. Well thats me relieved. Cheers.
    You're relieved someone with a heart condition is ill?

Please, this cannot be allowed here. For gods sake someone has a pacemaker, this is not right mods. I know this poster has a longstanding history here, but this is not right. I can't be the only one that thinks this?

saik

At this rate they'll be valued much more than 30 mil by the end of the season.
    Yea both have started the season well. Shame we weren't in for either. I get that we tried for someone younger in Sesko but these two would have been viable alternatives as well.

Pretty sure Scamacca would prefer to play for us instead of West Ham if we were in for him. Ah well. We will go for another stop gap 33 old striker next year and go for Sesko again couple of years later I guess.

JustinC00

Only got ourselves to blame on that one because didn't do deals for Martinez/Antony early enough in the window to get best value.
    This is utter non-sense. That was all on Ajax fecking about. Antony exposed them. So much that Ajax's commercial side of the board had to step in to tell the football side to sell Antony.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation

Please, this cannot be allowed here. For gods sake someone has a pacemaker, this is not right mods. I know this poster has a longstanding history here, but this is not right. I can't be the only one that thinks this?
    I don't think there was any malice in the comment; being ill might be to do with a flu or something that is a short lived problem, I think that was the sense of it...

Andre Kagawa

No, Michael, no, no! This is so not right!

Mickeza

still gets no respect
    Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
    Will grant you this David isn't world class but reckon we could have got him for around that,probably not any of the others though.
    Did he want to leave this summer? Was he actually available for 30m? Does he fit the profile ETH wants? Is he a good enough number 9 to lead us to titles in the future? Would going for him stop us going for a better option this summer? Could we afford his wages on top of Ronaldo staying? It isn’t FM - it’s real life.
    I would have taken Scamacca or Raspadori. Both very good players in my view.
    There is no way Scamacca is good enough to lead a side to CL and PL titles. He moves slower than me. That’s the standard we aspire to. To quote ETH good isn’t good enough. We need an elite striker and spending 30 plus million on a non-elite one this summer means we have less to spend next year replacing them.

saik

I don't think there was any malice in the comment; being ill might be to do with a flu or something that is a short lived problem, I think that was the sense of it...
    You can relax. He's just trolling some other poster who posted something in one of the matchday threads when the Queen died.

Zen86

Hate that they are only showing 30 mins highlights later. So means I will need to sit through MUTV's coverage. Why could they have at least put one as a later game.
    It’s like they want us to bin the subscription and just go with plex instead

Trequarista10

People after City game were moaning Eriksen is too weak defensively to play in a midfield two against a good side, now he's injured and people are panicking. It's fine, we'll have less creativity but more solidity. Time for others to step up. A team containing Sancho, Bruno and Antony can't be accused of lacking creativity.

I'm also intrigued to watch Fred with a genuine DM behind him. I'm expecting lots of hustle and endeavour, with equal parts frustration and wastefulness, but wouldn't be surprised to see him get an assist today with some extra freedom than he has often had in a United shirt. If Fred and Casemiro play well we could control this game. Shaw and Dalot may have to pick up some of the slack creatively too.

zizi

Ahh, not televised :( any rivers would be most unwelcome...

saik

There is no way Scamacca is good enough to lead a side to CL and PL titles. He moves slower than me. That’s the standard we aspire to. To quote ETH good isn’t good enough. We need an elite striker and spending 30 plus million on a non-elite one this summer means we have less to spend next year replacing them.
    I get your point, but we have Ronaldo starting for us upfront who is 37 and is clearly not good enough anymore and Martial who can't stay fit. Don't you think he would help us solidify us as a CL club for a couple of years and then we can upgrade him?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    It’s like they want us to bin the subscription and just go with plex instead
    It's daft. Last season they were showing full games later. Now they have gone back to 30 minute highlights. They cannot show a Game of the Day as showing Reading v. Arsenal women's game which is fair enough, but on all the football channels. Why not just have that one the football channel and have a PL game on the PL channel. The ones who want to watch the women's game would do so anyway.

Ekeke

I'm a bit concerned about the team given this should be a good test and if we're not careful they could be a team that finishes above us. But if we get 3 points ill give full credit to ETH

SuperiorXI

Do we know why Rashford has been dropped? He has been playing much better than Sancho, and from the left is his favoured position... it's an odd one.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
    Yea both have started the season well. Shame we weren't in for either. I get that we tried for someone younger in Sesko but these two would have been viable alternatives as well.

Pretty sure Scamacca would prefer to play for us instead of West Ham if we were in for him. Ah well. We will go for another stop gap 33 old striker next year and go for Sesko again couple of years later I guess.
    True but I like the look of that sesko kid, not quite a 20 goals a year striker but I think he'll get there, hope we land him.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
    I get your point, but we have Ronaldo starting for us upfront who is 37 and is clearly not good enough anymore and Martial who can't stay fit. Don't you think he would help us solidify us as a CL club for a couple of years and then we can upgrade him?
    Ronaldo's age doesn't seem to affect him much, he's still banging in goals left and right.

stu_1992

Mixed feelings on the team. Midfield is pretty awful for ball retention and control. We'll be relying on Casemiro a lot unless they reign in Fernandes, but that would be at the cost of his creativity. Fred is usually poor on the ball.

Varane at the back is a massive plus and it's interesting to see Shaw get his place back.

Disappointed Martial didn't make it, and no Eriksen and Rashford being on the bench is a big blow too. The latter two being sick so should recover soon.

Always nice to see youngsters on the bench, but I doubt we'll see much or any of Mainoo. Hope to be wrong though!

Chairman Steve

Haven’t we got Spurs in midweek and then Chelsea next weekend?

In some ways I’m glad there’s a bit of rotation (albeit forced) so hopefully we can get the result we needed.

And some fecking easier league games please. Feel likes every week we’re facing someone good or going to a tricky away ground.

Redderp

Good thing it’s a home game. We should be able to dominate Newcastle. Lack of pace up front would probably have hurt more if it was an away game. We should be able to win at home.

Chief123

Antony should have a blast up against Dan Burn.
    I’ve been thinking that. Be interesting to see how a giant full back deals with Antony. It’s like the largest and shortest players in the league against each other.

Trequarista10

The problem with this approach is offloading players. If you sign Scamacca or similiar, presumably on a 5 year deal, its not easy to just upgrade them in two years time. The player has three more years on his deal on good wages, so you end up with an expensive asset that is difficult to budge. Teams will throw in low ball offers and hope United will cover some of the salary for the player, or they remain on high wages and barely playing. See Sanchez which was a costly deal for us, or the numerous signings we sold at a loss. Becomes expensive and ugly. We already had Ronaldo who would have been difficult to get rid even if the club had wanted to. Nobody knows exactly what the clubs approach was with Ronaldo and if they would have sold for the right offer, but its obviously easier when he's out of contract and we can bring in a striker next summer.

croadyman

Haven’t we got Spurs in midweek and then Chelsea next weekend?

In some ways I’m glad there’s a bit of rotation (albeit forced) so hopefully we can get the result we needed.

And some fecking easier league games please. Feel likes every week we’re facing someone good or going to a tricky away ground.
    Fixtures look more favourable after Saturday

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 226 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win