Manchester United Vs Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam147

On Probation
Right, I've been out all day so I've known barely anything about this match. I didn't even know Jones and Evans played until about 7pm. So could someone run me down how it all went down today? Where it went wrong? Who performed well (or poorly)? Why did we not win?

Alternatively I wouldn't mind being pointed in the direction of something that answers the above, with there being no post-match thread and all.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Right, I've been out all day so I've known barely anything about this match. I didn't even know Jones and Evans played until about 7pm. So could someone run me down how it all went down today? Where it went wrong? Who performed well (or poorly)? Why did we not win?

Alternatively I wouldn't mind being pointed in the direction of something that answers the above, with there being no post-match thread and all.
We had bits of very good attacking play, but overall we were pretty poor IMO. Result was pretty fair in the end. Southampton had the ball most of the time, but when we went forward with Nani/Januzaj/Rooney/Van Persie we looked dangerous. Fellaini produced a truly awful display in midfield. Defence was pretty solid for the whole game though.
We hit the bar twice, once through Rooney in the first half after good play from Nani and then once from RVP off a corner. We also had a good shot from range from Januzaj and Fellaini completely fecked up the rebound. Apart from that there wasn't all that many chances though.

Tactics wise we sat too far back, inviting pressure, especially in the second half. The reason we didn't win was because Moyes decided to take off first Nani who was having a good game for Giggs, then Fellaini for Welbeck, and then with like 5-10 minutes to go subbed off Rooney for Smalling:houllier:. Obviously our midfield got worse having a 40 year old in there, so we didn't have any control of the ball in the end. They had a scrappy goal off a corner, could happen to anyone, but we had no chance to recover from it because our main attacking players already came off. Oh and Kagawa looked on from the bench as 40 year old giggs came on instead of him again.

kundalini

Soton pressed us from start to finish. Some United players struggled under pressure, regularly being robbed or giving the ball away cheaply; Rooney and Fellaini being the main culprits. Nani and Januzaj created most of our opportunities. A super through ball from Adnan gave Rooney a chance to score but the keeper saved, only for RVP to calmly score the rebound from an angle with a player dashing back to attempt a goal-line clearance. Rafael wasted several good positions with poor crosses or a poor first touch. Rooney unlucky to hit the bar with a decent effort. Soton had half-chances in the first half but their finishing was poor so De Gea not under threat. United just about edged the half.

Again United started slowly after the break. RVP heading off the line from a corner. Too many instances of careless play giving away possession cheaply. United had their best spell of the game with RVP heading against the bar, then Nani seeing his header saved, Januzaj's shot from distance troubling the keeper, Fellaini firing the rebound miles over. From then on it was all Soton, assisted by a series of weird substitutions that required several players to change position. Nani, who'd played well, was replaced by Giggs, then Welbeck came on for Fellaini, and finally Smalling for Rooney. Whatever the plan was, it didn't work. Soton eventually scoring from a corner late on after seeing several efforts saved or miss the target.

On another day United might have got away with a fortunate 1-0 win. Jonny Evans was our best player.

arthurka

This still doesnt feel any better.. We will struggle to get into CL football next season.. 2 months into the PL season we still play like a side without a plan or purpose..

Feed Me

I'm hungry
You'd find that hard to believe from the highlights: lost Osvaldo in front of goal (poor finish should have scored), lost Louvrens at corner (ended up in back of net),

The Osvaldo one was not his fault. We were caught cold after Rooney lost the ball deep in our own half.

Judge on the 90 minutes, not highlights. Evans brings a lot to the table in terms of the way he brings the ball out from the back. His passing is also terrific.

Salfordlad70

Soton pressed us from start to finish. Some United players struggled under pressure, regularly being robbed or giving the ball away cheaply; Rooney and Fellaini being the main culprits. Nani and Januzaj created most of our opportunities. A super through ball from Adnan gave Rooney a chance to score but the keeper saved, only for RVP to calmly score the rebound from an angle with a player dashing back to attempt a goal-line clearance. Rafael wasted several good positions with poor crosses or a poor first touch. Rooney unlucky to hit the bar with a decent effort. Soton had half-chances in the first half but their finishing was poor so De Gea not under threat. United just about edged the half.

Again United started slowly after the break. RVP heading off the line from a corner. Too many instances of careless play giving away possession cheaply. United had their best spell of the game with RVP heading against the bar, then Nani seeing his header saved, Januzaj's shot from distance troubling the keeper, Fellaini firing the rebound miles over. From then on it was all Soton, assisted by a series of weird substitutions that required several players to change position. Nani, who'd played well, was replaced by Giggs, then Welbeck came on for Fellaini, and finally Smalling for Rooney. Whatever the plan was, it didn't work. Soton eventually scoring from a corner late on after seeing several efforts saved or miss the target.

On another day United might have got away with a fortunate 1-0 win. Jonny Evans was our best player.
Summed up perfectly.Evans was our best player but once again when the heat is on the defence can't hold out.Giggs for Nani was an astounding substitution....!

Status
Not open for further replies.