Manchester United Vs Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

The sad thing is, Southampton just looked like a better team then us.

Drifter

American
What do you think Fergie thinks of this appalling start to the season? Especially as he selected Moyes to replace him. How can fans support Moyes when his attitude is so fecking negative?

You just had to look at the haunted expressions on both him and Gill's face when Southampton equalized to see what they think.

walsh

Sack David Moyes as soon as possible before it is too late and employ Jose Mourinho if possible.
Zaha for Nani is the obvious change but Giggs??? Kagawa for Rooney so not to change the shape of the team too much.
My plea to Giggs is to completely retire like Scholes and let the youngsters have their chances.
Don't ruin United chances of winning something this season.
Even Zaha overdoing his dribble is better entertainment than Giggs making half hearted tackles just to
protect himself from injuries. Attack is the best form of defence and that's what United knows how to do.
I hope you never post on any forum ever again.

redevil2

It's not the only problem if that's what you mean...it was certainly one of them today.
I don't believe it's wrong to bring in Giggsy with 20 mins to go. It's wrong to start certain players, whereas some are sitting on the bench!!!

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
The starting line up was not negative at all. I agree his subs were wank, but the team put out had more than enough chances to kill the game off IMO. That isn't Moyes' fault.
Indeed it isnt, but the subs were.

I'm not one of those who wants Moyes sacked ASAP, I'd prefer to give him time. But in all honesty, his substitutions today were horrendous. Bringing Smalling on and splitting up the back four was unnecessary, and if he hadn't gone and stuck Giggs in midfield, he wouldn't have needed to make the Smalling sub at all. Its just a weird sub. Everton conceded a lot of late goals last year too, which just makes it even more annoying. You can't go that far into cautious mode at home when you're 1-0 up.

Top 4 would do for me now. The annoying thing is, none of the other teams are playing too well either(Arsenal apart-but how long will that last?).

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
The subs Moyes did ensured we had no chance of getting the second goal whilst inviting Southampton to have a go at us, not the first time his substitutions have been wank again for us.

Giggs almost scored.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Right.

For anybody that missed it Danny Welbeck was at fault for the goal, He actually passed his man to DE GEA!!!!! and then missed the free header.....i repeat he passed his man to De Gea!

An individual error cost us again, but with Welbeck I am sick of pretending he his a world beater just because he is home grown, hus first touch is horrific , his movement is poir and his short passing game is a joke.

He has his use though, he can be pkayed down the left for his work rate to fill in as a defensive winger....that is all he is good for!

Moriarty

Both CBs were excellent. We were punished by a porous midfield.
Yeh, should have mentioned Jones too. Lambert didn't get a sniff after he came on and, to be honest, I was glad when he did because I never thought he could match either Evans either in the air or on the deck. The subs threw us out of kilter, switching Jones to midfield putting Smalling in so late.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We are so piss weak in the middle of the park its fecking embarrassing. Fellaini needs time to settle, I thought he'd be a good addition (and hopefully he will) but along side Carrick we probably have the least mobile midfielders I have seen at United.

Commadus

He doesn't seem to be able to make the correct subs or understand the game as it ebbs and flows. Why the need to hold on at home when we were not under a wave of attacks?

redevil2

You just had to look at the haunted expressions on both him and Gill's face when Southampton equalized to see what they think.
I feel sorry for Sir Alex because Moyes has let him down. Moyes is still learning the trade to have a winner's mentality.

vivaronaldo

Fear factor has well and truly gone.... No one is scared of us anymore

Southampton smelt blood and negativity and cut the crap, a point was the least they deserved

Mr Chutney

Mango Mango Man
Thank feck you don't post more often.

How was it unlucky? The only reason Saints didn't score earlier was because Oswaldo was incredibly shit. They had more possession and more shots on goal than us. They deserved a draw.

Look at the stats all you want - but we should have killed it in the first half where we were far superior, we had that 20 minute period where we could of ( and should of ) scored 2 or 3 more

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Right.

For anybody that missed it Danny Welbeck was at fault for the goal, He actually passed his man to DE GEA!!!!! and then missed the free header.....i repeat he passed his man to De Gea!

An individual error cost us again, but with Welbeck I am sick of pretending he his a world beater just because he is home grown, hus first touch is horrific , his movement is poir and his short passing game is a joke.

He has his use though, he can be pkayed down the left for his work rate to fill in as a defensive winger....that is all he is good for!
sadly his last minute fumbles are now to be expected. Just not good enough.

Lawman

Right.

Log off mate

Summit

Indeed it isnt, but the subs were.

I'm not one of those who wants Moyes sacked ASAP, I'd prefer to give him time. But in all honesty, his substitutions today were horrendous. Bringing Smalling on and splitting up the back four was unnecessary, and if he hadn't gone and stuck Giggs in midfield, he wouldn't have needed to make the Smalling sub at all. Its just a weird sub. Everton conceded a lot of late goals last year too, which just makes it even more annoying. You can't go that far into cautious mode at home when you're 1-0 up.

Top 4 would do for me now. The annoying thing is, none of the other teams are playing too well either(Arsenal apart-but how long will that last?).

Don't get me wrong, the subs were shit. Smalling for Rooney was bemusing and one of which I can't understand.

Timdbro

I don't believe it's wrong to bring in Giggsy with 20 mins to go. It's wrong to start certain players, whereas some are sitting on the bench!!!
I think it's wrong to bring him on (at age 40) as a winger and then in central midfield, when we're holding onto a 1-0 lead and getting overrun by a physical side.

manusteve

You just had to look at the haunted expressions on Both him and Gill's face when Southampton equalized to see what they think.
Hm. United is not the same club as when Fergie took over, and yet Fergie had knocked Glasgow off the perch in the SPL and had beaten Real Madrid in a European final.

What, seriously, has Moyes won? Achieved? Nothing.

Does anyone think that the likes of Guardiola and Mourinho (despite various reports that they weren't really interested) wouldn't have run to Old Trafford to manage United? And yet we settle for Moyes. Bad bad choice, Sir Alex.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Look at the stats all you want - but we should have killed it in the first half where we were far superior, we had that 20 minute period where we could of ( and should of ) scored 2 or 3 more
We were not far superior at any time during the game. We were slightly on top after the goal when Rooney hit the bar, but that's about it. They deserved their draw after the way we performed.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
it's times like this it's great there's a midweek game, so that we don't all sit there dwelling for a full week.

Red Dreams

Yeh, should have mentioned Jones too. Lambert didn't get a sniff after he came on and, to be honest, I was glad when he did because I never thought he could match either Evans either in the air or on the deck. The subs threw us out of kilter, switching Jones to midfield putting Smalling in so late.
Rooney was poor but if there was one player who could pull something off you know it was him. I am feeling worse about this result than WBA for some reason.

Mr Chutney

Mango Mango Man
We were not far superior at any time during the game. We were slightly on top after the goal when Rooney hit the bar, but that's about it. They deserved their draw after the way we performed.

You are having a laugh, we had them well under the cosh and had a decent set of chances we should of put away, that would have changed the dynamic completely but we took our foot of the pedal and they got back into the game , and then, they were the better team.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Giggs almost scored.
So what? It's like the Young substitution for Valencia in the Chelsea game, Moyes made the wrong decision and people point to the fact that the sub nearly scored as it being the right decision. The fact is that in both cases, the subs made us vulnerable defensively and we were made to pay the price this time. Giggs as his current state is nowhere near fit enough to compete against Southampton, who are one of the fittest team in the league, anymore and the sooner Moyes realises this, the better off we would be.

Summit

So what? It's like the Young substitution for Valencia in the Chelsea game, Moyes made the wrong decision and people point to the fact that the sub nearly scored as it being the right decision. The fact is that in both cases, the subs made us vulnerable defensively and we were made to pay the price this time. Giggs as his current state is nowhere near fit enough to compete against Southampton, who are one of the fittest team in the league, anymore and the sooner Moyes realises this, the better off we would be.

You said the subs gave us no chance of scoring. I was just pointing that out for ya.

Moriarty

They shored up the defence to secure the 1-0 victory!
Thing is, the defence didn't need shoring up. Jones and Evans were coping very well and Fellaini, even though it wasn't his best game, was doing well protecting them higher up. He started to drop off and was beaten a bit too easily a couple of times just before he was subbed. It would have made sense to bring on Smalling at that point and shift Jones, but why Moyes decided to put Giggs on is anyone's guess.

Red Dreams

Thing is, the defence didn't need shoring up. Jones and Evans were coping very well and Fellaini, even though it wasn't his best game, was doing well protecting them higher up. He started to drop off and was beaten a bit too easily a couple of times just before he was subbed. It would have made sense to bring on Smalling at that point and shift Jones, but why Moyes decided to put Giggs on is anyone's guess.
Giggs was a waste. I can see him coming on only if we are well up and we needed to rest someone. Midfield was what needed shoring up. we have been wank in that department for too long.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
The sad thing is, Southampton just looked like a better team then us.
This sums it all up. People can whinge about the subs all they want, and yes, for five minutes after we scored we played quite well and looked like getting another, but for the vast majority of the game Southampton were the better side. This idea that we played well for 60 minutes until Giggs came on and ruined it all is total tosh, I swear people just see what they want to see. Today I saw a team that press and move for each other off the ball, and as a result, look fluid in possession, and then I saw another side that are exceedingly one dimensional and one paced. I don't think we'll finish top four, and this isn't me being hyperbolic, I think there are at least four better teams than us in this league. West Brom and Southampton have both come to Old Trafford and been the better side, if Sunderland could finish they would have been out of sight at half time two weeks ago, so far this season we've looked slow and lethargic, and nobody seems like they're at their peak, and it's a worry.

The only plus today was how good Jones and Evans played, I thought they were both fantastic.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Painful result. May be a bit unlucky, but we're better than this..

This year was always going to be difficult, being a transitional year after so many years of stability. We need to give Moyes more time.

iczster

Lord Sugartits (and worst transfer muppet ever)
Sack David Moyes as soon as possible before it is too late and employ Jose Mourinho if possible.
Zaha for Nani is the obvious change but Giggs??? Kagawa for Rooney so not to change the shape of the team too much.
My plea to Giggs is to completely retire like Scholes and let the youngsters have their chances.
Don't ruin United chances of winning something this season.
Even Zaha overdoing his dribble is better entertainment than Giggs making half hearted tackles just to
protect himself from injuries. Attack is the best form of defence and that's what United knows how to do.
Just back from the game and another gutter of a home performance. Need to keep the faith, stayed behind to experience and suck up the disappointment of Saints fans bigging it up in front of their players. We clapped them off in the end.

On another note, where the feck do the idiots above come from, seriously just feck off.

Lawman

This sums it all up. People can whinge about the subs all they want, and yes, for five minutes after we scored we played quite well and looked like getting another, but for the vast majority of the game Southampton were the better side. This idea that we played well for 60 minutes until Giggs came on and ruined it all is total tosh, I swear people just see what they want to see. Today I saw a team that press and move for each other off the ball, and as a result, look fluid in possession, and then I saw another side that are exceedingly one dimensional and one paced. I don't think we'll finish top four, and this isn't me being hyperbolic, I think there are at least four better teams than us in this league. West Brom and Southampton have both come to Old Trafford and been the better side, if Sunderland could finish they would have been out of sight at half time two weeks ago, so far this season we've looked slow and lethargic, and nobody seems like they're at their peak, and it's a worry.

The only plus today was how good Jones and Evans played, I thought they were both fantastic.
Think we will still be there or there about but the Rooney factor and his position for me is still up for debate. We need 3 centre mids and if we don't we struggle to control games and with RVP and Rooney in the same team we struggle to do this!

Devil may care

I fell asleep during the second half of Liverpool vs Newcastle and missed our game altogether. Disappointing that out of the 15 points on offer from this supposedly weaker run of fixtures we've only managed 4 out of 9 so far.

Sounds like we started with the 11 most would have wanted at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.