Manchester United vs Wrexham (Wed 26th July, 03:30 UK time)

KevinJoh

Match showed why kids are not ready yet as you can't teach strength and physicality. They just need to grow up and with muscles and a few inches they will learn how to win against rivals like that. Hannibal the only one that stands up, although he had ball too much in his feet, but again he would not if others could keep the ball for more than a few seconds. He was good, he is ready for bigger stage. I am not sure if he is ready for United, he is close, but staying with us won't do good for his development as his minutes would be limited. So, probably the best option is loan, and hopefully to the top level football, maybe not PL, but somewhere else (France, Bundesliga, Spain).

I am dissapointed with Fernandez honestly, his offensive skills, especially crossing are top, but defensively he is still bad. He was out of position all the time, his players had open crosses, they have been running riots around him and he had Evans behind. There is obviously a reason why Williams is still in front of him. He should also get a loan, not sure which competition, not sure that he would play in bottom PL team, so maybe Spain with a possibility that he will stay there after that which is concern.

While Fernandez had some good things in his game, Shoretire, Hansen, Jurado, Gore, Hansen obviously need a loan to get familiar with playing with grown ups and we should see if there is something next year for them. Fish was OK, and he will go to Hibernian, so that is the level for him at the moment, maybe he could do evene better, Championship loan maybe, but probably the best is to play every week at this age.

Collyer, Hugill, McNeill, Aljofree, Mejia...I really don't see a future for them, but still I would let them go on loan first, and maybe there will be some improvement next year. Kambwala should probably stay with U21 as he was injured for a long time. Oyedele showed some promising stuff, he can play at level of League One, or League Two without problems and should get new loan after the last good one.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Youth players were being used in the main banner for advertising the game. The opening paragraph in the announcement states that it would be a "youth focused team" Look I feel bad for any fans that missed all this and spent a ridiculous amount on tickets thinking they were going to see the first team but I fail to see how it's the clubs fault.
If the club were genuinely charging $180 for the privilege* then yeah, it’s pretty shitty of the club…. I just find the desire to instinctively defend the cynical forces of market capitalism over fellow exploited fans pretty sad is all. but y’all lick those nice sparkly red boots boys! It’ll never come back on you. Nu uh.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That's if you specifically search Murtough quotes. But so many didn't bother or think of doing it. I know I only did that because someone said earlier that United has announced it before about playing kids. So i searched what kind of announcement United made regarding this game. Yes they did announce it on march, with vague info about non-first teamer but almost all kids.
My reply was based around those Murtough quotes you posted. I don’t have a clue how this game was marketed in the US. If fans were given the impression that first team players would be involved then fair enough. They’ve been misled.

The most obvious shithousery by the club is squeezing in two preseason fixtures on consecutive days. Twice. I don’t remember that happening before. And it seems to be motivated by nothing but greed. There’s no sane footballing reason for that sort of fixture congestion.

Spoony

The People's President
Could've played a couple of first team players or at least squad players to be fair. But to charge 180 dollars for the privilege of seeing the team for possibly the first time yet only field academy player isn't really fair.

Bertie Wooster

If the club were genuinely charging $180 for the privilege* then yeah, it’s pretty shitty of the club…. I just find the desire to instinctively defend the cynical forces of market capitalism over fellow exploited fans pretty sad is all. but y’all lick those nice sparkly red boots boys! It’ll never come back on you. Nu uh.
I'd say that's combining two complaints in one.

If you're actually only complaining that it's too expensive for a game between Wrexham and a youthful Man United team then that's one thing. And I'm sure more would agree with that.

But it mostly keeps getting said that it wasn't stated that United would be sending a young team, and that people were pretty much 'tricked' into paying a large fee to see what they were led to believe would be United's first team. That's the main part people are disagreeing with, as it simply isn't true. United always stated they would be sending a young team, not the senior players.

So, yeah, some sympathy at the price to get into the match. But no sympathy for people who, through ignorance or laziness, didn't know that United had made it very clear from the start that they would be sending a youthful squad for the game.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Yep quite clearly some of you just want to shit on the club and won't hear the facts. Keep up the good fight!
I'd say that's combining two complaints in one.

If you're actually only complaining that it's too expensive for a game between Wrexham and a youthful Man United team then that's one thing. And I'm sure more would agree with that.

But you mostly keep saying that it wasn't stated that United would be sending a young team, and that people were 'tricked' into paying a large fee to see what they were led to believe would be United's first team. That's the main part people are disagreeing with, as it simply isn't true. United always stated they would be sending a young team, not the senior players.

So, yeah, some sympathy at the price to get into the match. But no sympathy for people who, through ignorance or laziness, didn't know that United had made it very clear from the start that they would be sending a youthful squad for the game.
Bingo.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
My reply was based around those Murtough quotes you posted. I don’t have a clue how this game was marketed. If fans were given the impression that first team players would be involved then fair enough. They’ve been misled.

The most obvious shithousery by the club is squeezing in two preseason fixtures on consecutive days. Twice. I don’t remember that happening before. And it seems to be motivated by nothing but greed. There’s no sane footballing reason for that sort of fixture congestion.
And I'm complaining mostly because I'd definitely watch that Wrexham game if I didn't see those close fixtures, then "assuming" that we'd play mostly kids (didn't even know that the Club announced it as "youth-focused" game).

That Madrid game would cost me probably 3-5 times more (in total). That's even if I can get any ticket. There are just too many Madrid and United supporters in US.

Edit: Well, if i could shake hand with Evans, it would probably be worth the trip though.

Last edited:

Dan_F

Seems like Phil Parkinson's comments were over the top and United not at all happy with them either.
Haven’t seen the challenge so I could completely change my mind on this, but it seems very unnecessary to talk about a young player in that way.

evil_geko

Was thinking about this. I was just about to fly to San Diego to attend the match if I had went and saw this squad, without disrespecting the youngsters of course, I would have feel scammed. Promoting the game as Manchester United and not one single first team player was even on the bench.

I don't know if it was announced beforehand but at least I didn't knew it.
So many people are spamming how they were scammed, come on, Man United literally specified which team will play against Wrexham back in March, if people would inform themselves better they would not feel scammed. They only have themselves to blame.

babablue

This is crap on the clubs part. WTF does "youth focused" mean? Why not call it academy players? How many people do you think would have bought tickets if it was Man United Academy XI vs Wrexham? The club knew this and twisted the words, so they could claim to not have misled anyone. If it was me, I would do a chargeback with my credit card company. Even if it gets denied, at least the club will use some of that $180 to defend it.

SirAF

Ageist
Look at all you fecking bootlickers. It’s perfectly reasonable to assume most people would’ve bought tickets assuming they’d see at least some proper Man Utd players. It doesn’t make them rubes for not seeking out a vaguely worded statement from the CFO beforehand.

United are entitled to play whoever they like obvs but the “haven’t got a leg to stand on complaining” etc stuff…. It’s fans just trying to see their team play for the first time FFS. Murtough isn’t gonna shag you.
No, it’s not. They are playing Real Madrid 24 hours later, any idiot would know the club would put on the kids against Wrexham.

babablue

So many people are spamming how they were scammed, come on, Man United literally specified which team will play against Wrexham back in March, if people would inform themselves better they would not feel scammed. They only have themselves to blame.
Because if I see Manchester United, there is an expectation that I will see some recognizable players. It is unexpected to have to go and find press releases from months ago. Guess a fool proof way of making sure there is no confusion - title the match Manchester United Academy vs Wrexham. Wonder why the club didn't do that :rolleyes:

Laurencio

This is crap on the clubs part. WTF does "youth focused" mean? Why not call it academy players? How many people do you think would have bought tickets if it was Man United Academy XI vs Wrexham? The club knew this and twisted the words, so they could claim to not have misled anyone. If it was me, I would do a chargeback with my credit card company. Even if it gets denied, at least the club will use some of that $180 to defend it.
X vs Wrexham is about increasing the profile of Wrexham. There is no benefit for Man Utd to play Premier League level players against a league two side. It shouldn't surprise anyone that Man Utd would play youngsters in this match. It is concerning that our youngsters couldn't deal with a league 2 side though, so at least we probably got some answers about some of our youngsters - because that is kinda embarrassing.

babablue

X vs Wrexham is about increasing the profile of Wrexham. There is no benefit for Man Utd to play Premier League level players against a league two side. It shouldn't surprise anyone that Man Utd would play youngsters in this match. It is concerning that our youngsters couldn't deal with a league 2 side though, so at least we probably got some answers about some of our youngsters - because that is kinda embarrassing.
You're proving my point. Nobody is paying $180 to go and watch Wrexham. Agree on your point about the players, it's been overshadowed by the ticket conversation, but our academy players shouldn't be losing to a borderline conference team. I didn't watch the match, but looks like they were a man down for the second half, so maybe there is some mitigation.

prateik

The Madrid game wasnt announced at that point, so I dont think 2 games in 2 days thinking wouldve been valid..

But there is no way the first team plays Wrexham at the end of July. Early july , maybe.. end of july would be a massive waste of a pre season fixture. wouldn't help the first team at all.

Wrexham were in the US.. have Hollywood owners.. wanted to play United. We agreed to send the reserves. We made it clear it was the reserves.
We didn't set the prices..

Everyone here knew it would be a reserve side playing Wrexham. The club made it clear right from the start..

People just refuse to take any responsibility..

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
People shouldn't be surprised the club were charging extortionate prices to see the academy. The club is run by money hungry scumbags. Hopefully it turns the American based support on the Glazer family.

The club did the same for the Dublin friendly next week. Waited until tickets were on sale or sold out before announcing an Old Trafford friendly to take place on the day before.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
We played Atletico Madrid and Rayo Vallecano on consecutive days last year too. Check the lineups out for yourself

https://www.espn.com/soccer/lineups/_/gameId/635654

https://www.espn.com/soccer/lineups/_/gameId/637194
Two La Liga teams is a tad different from a team that up til a few weeks ago were still non league.

This was a promotional exercise and an opportunity to give some of the youth experience and exposure, even Ten Hag stated 'we had other goals than the result'.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
You shouldn't really be that surprised by the result. It is boys playing against fully developed men. That will be what did them, the physicality and Wrexham players might not be as talented but they will have much more guile through experience. This is similar to the likes of Liverpool putting kids out and people being not surprised when they get knocked out of the Carabao Cup. It will have opened our eyes certainly, but you then have to decide who really is not talented enough and who has the talent, but needs to be allowed to develop physically.

babablue

Two La Liga teams is a tad different from a team that up til a few weeks ago were still non league.

This was a promotional exercise and an opportunity to give some of the youth experience and exposure, even Ten Hag stated 'we had other goals than the result'.
I'm merely disproving the other person's claim that 2 matches 24 hours apart means one match has to be all academy. It's very possible that even if there was no match tomorrow, it would still have been academy players.

DomesticTadpole

People shouldn't be surprised the club were charging extortionate prices to see the academy. The club is run by money hungry scumbags. Hopefully it turns the American based support on the Glazer family.

The club did the same for the Dublin friendly next week. Waited until tickets were on sale or sold out before announcing an Old Trafford friendly to take place on the day before.
Was the price for this game set by us, or by Wrexham as I would say it was more about them than us, or do neither team have much of a say and it is promoters who set the price?

Blood Mage

Mainoo and Greenwood are the only talents our youth setup has produced in the last decade who are good enough if we're being honest. Our youth facilities need to be upgraded.

evil_geko

Because if I see Manchester United, there is an expectation that I will see some recognizable players. It is unexpected to have to go and find press releases from months ago. Guess a fool proof way of making sure there is no confusion - title the match Manchester United Academy vs Wrexham. Wonder why the club didn't do that :rolleyes:
So you admit you were not informed and acted only on assumptions, and then blame the club, ok. :lol:

Again, we can bash the club for high prices, but not for your own misinformation, just stop.

Laurencio

You're proving my point. Nobody is paying $180 to go and watch Wrexham. Agree on your point about the players, it's been overshadowed by the ticket conversation, but our academy players shouldn't be losing to a borderline conference team. I didn't watch the match, but looks like they were a man down for the second half, so maybe there is some mitigation.
Even then, Hansen, Mejbri, Fernandez, Fish, Jurado, Shoretire and Hugil should be Championship quality at a minimum if they are ever going to make it here. I didn't see it either (for obvious time reasons), but we had 1 shot on target - and that first half line up should have beat them comfortably. We conceded 2 goals in the first half with young players who are trying to prove they can hold a place in the Premier League.

Von Mistelroum

Mainoo and Greenwood are the only talents our youth setup has produced in the last decade who are good enough if we're being honest. Our youth facilities need to be upgraded.
I've not watched him enough yet, but from a few friendlies people seem certain he's the next big thing. I wonder if this is accurate, or if he'll be shipped out next summer like Iqbal and Savage...

babablue

So you admit you were not informed and acted only on assumptions, and then blame the club, ok. :lol:
Interesting the part you responded to. What about this part?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Was the price for this game set by us, or by Wrexham as I would say it was more about them than us, or do neither team have much of a say and it is promoters who set the price?
I don't know but surely the club do have some level of input on ticket pricing?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I'm merely disproving the other person's claim that 2 matches 24 hours apart means one match has to be all academy. It's very possible that even if there was no match tomorrow, it would still have been academy players.
Fair enough,

I don't think anyone should have been in any doubt though that this game would have been full of fringe or youth players though.

Makes zero sense to split the first team up considering where the two games are being played.

Laurencio

You shouldn't really be that surprised by the result. It is boys playing against fully developed men. That will be what did them, the physicality and Wrexham players might not be as talented but they will have much more guile through experience. This is similar to the likes of Liverpool putting kids out and people being not surprised when they get knocked out of the Carabao Cup. It will have opened our eyes certainly, but you then have to decide who really is not talented enough and who has the talent, but needs to be allowed to develop physically.
I'm not surprised, just disappointed in some of them. Most of the players in the first half are trying to get into the first team squad, if they can't hack it against grown men playing for Wrexham, they have no chance against grown men playing in the Premier League. I understand they probably didn't even care - because it's Wrexham - but it's still a bit concerning.

Bertie Wooster

It's not just press releases from months ago, though. Fair enough, I don't know if it's been (wrongly) portrayed and advertised in the US, but in the UK it's regularly been stated that the Wrexham game will be for a youthful squad, and that the first team games on the US tour will be the ones against Arsenal, Madrid and Dortmund.

And is that really that surprising? Man United, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund... Wrexham. Any time United play a friendly against a 4th, last season non-league, tier team it'll almost certainly be a youthful team and not their international stars. Fair enough, sometimes it'll be described as a Man United XI, to establish it'll not be the first team. But I doubt that wording would have cleared anything up for the US fans.

There was no attempt to cover anything up at this end (in the UK). The fact it'll be a youthful team was regularly acknowledged from March onwards - not just in March and then hushed up. If that wasn't made clear in the US, then the issue is with the US marketing of the game not the club being secretive about it in any way as they've made it very clear from the start what kind of team they'd be selecting.

DomesticTadpole

I'm not surprised, just disappointed in some of them. Most of the players in the first half are trying to get into the first team squad, if they can't hack it against grown men playing for Wrexham, they have no chance against grown men playing in the Premier League. I understand they probably didn't even care - because it's Wrexham - but it's still a bit concerning.
Hannibal played pretty well didn't he? Also a lot of them will have been told they are off on loan.