Manchester United Women - Silly Season 2023/24 - Ins and outs

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I am optimistic for the season. Russo and Batlle are big losses, but I believe we have a good squad capable of challenging for honours. The other players who have moved on hardly played.

I'd say that we are very strong with GKs but a couple of bodies light in defence. Midfield is as strong as anyone's. I like our forward options but would still try to add a clinical goalscorer (Daly, please.)

I agree that we will see transfer activity after the World Cup. There are a few academy players who I would like to see get a chance too - Sofield, Ashton, Barry, Aherne look particularly promising.
Regarding the academy players - the previous very talented players never got their chances under Skinner, I don’t think that will change.

We have one of the best goalkeepers in the world, but the gk situation is still far from ideal. Earps’ contract runs out in 2024 and there’s already been rumours of her wanting a move. Ramsey for me had the potential to replace her long-term, don’t see that in Baggaley. In the case of Middleton-Patel, too soon to tell.

CB is probably our strongest department. In RB there’s a lot of pressure and expectations on Riviere.

CM I’m pleased with, although there might be a need for a strong, physical rotation option. Perhaps Naalsund can be that. Then again if our rotation is limited to Bøe Risa starting in cups, perhaps we don’t need any.

Very happy with our wing options. Parris & García on the right and Galton & Hanson on the left. The latter might want a move as she showed last season with Villa that she deserves so much better than the odd game here and there.

We definitely need a world class out-and-out striker. The biggest hole in the team currently.

Last edited:

Lightbringer

So we've lost Russo, Batlle, Tounkara, Ramsey, Moore, Cascarino, Bourne, Williams, Murphy as well as Martin Ho, who was by all accounts a very influential coach. We've signed Evie Rabjohn from Villa. Not looking forward to the new season as things stand.
Dont forget we got Kirsty Hanson and Adriana Leon coming back from loan who people have screaming for to get a chance to play all season long :-)

top1whoisman

Scout
Dont forget we got Kirsty Hanson and Adriana Leon coming back from loan who people have screaming for to get a chance to play all season long :-)
Yeah I'm quite confident that Leon's future is not here. Hanson had a wonder season at Villa, really hope we give her a proper chance.

Lightbringer

Yeah I'm quite confident that Leon's future is not here. Hanson had a wonder season at Villa, really hope we give her a proper chance.
Sophie Baggaley will be gone as well? As long we can afford to replace her and just want pay as little as possible? I hope Leon leaves as Skinner brought her in and then decided she was not good enough to play. But only if really go out and buy QUALITY and have some kind of plan.

top1whoisman

Scout
That will be down to the manager. Wonder how many players he gets this time who don't play.
Yeap, that's the worry. And looking at the potential teams we'll face in the CL qualifiers, I'm not that optimistic we'll play many more games next season than this.

StretfordEnd78

More of Marc’s signings need to be challenging strongly for the first 11 rather than filling the squad.
Nikita, Maya and to a degree Garcia are good examples but overall the signings were a mixed bag in terms of impact.

top1whoisman

Scout
More of Marc’s signings need to be challenging strongly for the first 11 rather than filling the squad.
Nikita, Maya and to a degree Garcia are good examples but overall the signings were a mixed bag in terms of impact.
Hard to challenge if you don’t get a chance to do that.

Demon Barber

Regarding the academy players - the previous very talented players never got their chances under Skinner, I don’t think that will change.

We have one of the best goalkeepers in the world, but the gk situation is still far from ideal. Earps’ contract runs out in 2024 and there’s already been rumours of her wanting a move. Ramsey for me had the potential to replace her long-term, don’t see that in Baggaley. In the case of Middleton-Patel, too soon to tell.

CB is probably our strongest department. In RB there’s a lot of pressure and expectations on Riviere.

CM I’m pleased with, although there might be a need for a strong, physical rotation option. Perhaps Naalsund can be that. Then again if our rotation is limited to Bøe Risa starting in cups, perhaps we don’t need any.

Very happy with our wing options. Parris & García on the right and Galton & Hanson on the left. The latter might want a move as she showed last season with Villa that she deserves so much better than the odd game here and there.

We definitely need a world class out-and-out striker. The biggest hole in the team currently.
The only thing I would disagree with here is the Parris/Garcia option on the right. Williams or Thomas perhaps, but Garcia more central. But yes, a new striker is a must.

Lightbringer

Would be nice to see that Watson move confirmed.

Well, to be honest it would be nice right now to see any of the major speculated moves confirmed :lol:
Indeed. The club needs to inject some positivity (is that a word?) in the supporters after the Russo & Ona fiasco.

However, dont you think the club considers Hanson & Leon new players? I have a feeling we might end up with that kind of explanation as we probably wont want to pay up transfer fees for Geyse or Kerolin!

I have a bad feeling about Skinner and Leon, and I would prefer if Leon moved actually since I dont think Skinner will use her anyway.

Whats happening with Fuso btw? She is still listed on the roster page of the manutd.com

Lightbringer

I read that United might be interested in Zambias Grace Chanda, is she a quality player?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I read that United might be interested in Zambias Grace Chanda, is she a quality player?
I've never seen her play - I've read that she was really important to Zambia in last year's WAfcon. She was in the top three for last year's African women's player of the year as well - so she's clearly highly rated. Certainly someone to watch.

Demon Barber

I've never seen her play - I've read that she was really important to Zambia in last year's WAfcon. She was in the top three for last year's African women's player of the year as well - so she's clearly highly rated. Certainly someone to watch.
Unfortunately she is ruled out of the World Cup so we will not get to see her play. Zambia are the lowest ranked team but recently beat Germany and drew with Switzerland. Barbra Bamba (?) is the one to watch

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
If we're looking at Zambian forwards who're at Madrid CFF then Racheal Kundananji would be the one I'd like to see. Chanda only scored a couple of goals in Liga F last year whereas she stormed with league.

Obviously not against the signing but she wasn't a full starter for them last year so if she comes to us we still need a proper clincal goalscoring 9 for me. I think we need 2 forwards so if she was coming in as a bench option then ok.

StretfordEnd78

Fuso was given a 2 year extension before being sent out on loan for a season. Seems a bit odd to me.

Satissh12

Quite new to Womens football, is there any chance of signing some stars from Women's World Cup.. especially 2 Columbians, Cacideo and Ramirez.. both were brilliant..

Lost bear

Quite new to Womens football, is there any chance of signing some stars from Women's World Cup.. especially 2 Columbians, Cacideo and Ramirez.. both were brilliant..
Linda Caicedo has gone to Real Madrid.

Crick

Two possibles, under 25 not at impossible clubs: Hinata Miyazawa (23) was excellent as a 10/F, with a lovely left foot creating and scoring 5 goals. I haven't seen any links to a top club yet as she still plays in Japan but someone will snap her up, if they haven't already. A realistic option for us could be Sophie Roman Haug (24) CF, 3 goals. She played well for Norway (Roma 9 in 33 & 8 in 11 for Norway) and could be a good, lower profile, CF target to replace Russo. She's a similar target / classic 9 profile and good in the air.

Of those linked with us before the World Cup, Brugts (19) was good for the Nederlands on the left wing, with a great shot. While not as impressive as Caicedo, I would happily have her at United but she will probably go to Arsenal. Kerolin was solid without being outstanding in midfield. I think she should have played further forward in a talanted but messy Brazil. I am surprised we are linked with her as she has a previous drugs ban with United's PR obsession of how things look. Geyse only started once, subbed on twice but wasn't great when she was on. Something seemed off with her. Maybe she wasn't fit or certainly match fit or wasn't happy with her managers instructions as she didn't seem right. She was much better in the Finalissima.

Others: Melchie Dumoney was a very good in midfield running the show for Haiti but she's just signed for Lyon. Spain has a few great players other than those at Barca. Teresa was good at 6 for Spain but is at Real as is Oihane Hernandez (just signed) at RB. Redondo on the wide forward at Levante hasn't been starting but looks good every time she comes on. At CF I still like Eva Navarro who we were linked to a coupled of years ago when Ona joined. She has been good when she's got on but hasn't been starting. At GK Musovic has been brilliant in goal for Sweden but is already at Chelsea, although mainly as back up.

Reactions: jojojo

Lightbringer

Kyra Cooney-Cross plays for my club in sweden Hammarby so I know she is a terrific prospect. Her contract with Hammarby expires in about 8-10 games and then every club will go after her. Hammarby does not have the finances to keep her obviously.

The question is if any club would pay a bigger transfer fee to Hammarby immediately now to not have competition from other clubs after her contract has expired. That could be a real smart move. Not sure if Hammarby would sell as we fight for Champions league qualifying spots and also the league title. I guess it would have to be a decent bid to let her go immediately. United did buy Lotta Ökvist from Hammarby before, so at least the clubs have negotiated before.

With signing, do they mean the clubs would sign her to a contract that starts after her time with Hammarby is done in november? Is that allowe? Or they just assume Hammarby will release/sell her without any fuss with immediate effect?

With Australia playing in the semis and final/bronze game she will attract even more clubs.

Last edited:

Lightbringer

Why are Arsenal linked to every player on the planet? They already have a world all star team, how many players are they going to stockpile? :D

Lightbringer

United finally cooking something?

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
Then I’d expect a longer contract extension personally.
One and two-year contracts are pretty standard and more or less the norm in women’s football. Only recently we’ve seen longer contracts being given out but still the vast majority are 1-2 year deals.