Manchester United's Chief Scout and Head of Global Scouting have left the club

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Don't think it's a case of vetoing or over rolling RR and the Board. But the three names mentioned seemed a pretty sensible approach

Vlahovic - Too expensive and too complex to complete in 48 hours
Diaz- Relatively covered in that area
Alvarez - Would not hit the ground running (City loaned him back)
Vlahovic was a 62.8m deal with add-ons. The fee is set to be paid in 3 years. That's not expensive

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I would have liked that to be the case too. Apparently we had difficulties due to Brexit:

We're seeing the same thing with Ten Hag also having difficulty bringing RVP with him due to Brexit.

Back to Rangnick. The problem was, all of the coaches we could attract were not of the required calibre. What's killed us is Carrick & McKenna leaving at the same time imo.
I think there was better coaches here in the UK he could've potentially brought in, instead of Chris Armas. But I suppose he probably wanted to work with someone he was comfortable with, and that's fair enough.

choccy77

The owners are incompetent, there's no question about that. But what you're pointing out, is the failure of the board/manager structure.

True, but it starts with the owners who appointed Ed, who appointed everyone else who works at the club.

United turned down £10m or £20 m for lingard also don't forget.

that's appalling and that type of management comes from the very top.

The club is toxic and hopefully in a month's time, big changes will finally take place.

devilish

I think there was better coaches here in the UK he could've potentially brought in, instead of Chris Armas. But I suppose he probably wanted to work with someone he was comfortable with, and that's fair enough.
I don't think that Rangnick style of playing is very known and popular in the EPL.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't think that Rangnick style of playing is very known and popular in the EPL.
Rangnick's style is gegen pressing in a high line and even coaches in the championship and League 1 implement it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
True, but it starts with the owners who appointed Ed, who appointed everyone else who works at the club.

United turned down £10m or £20 m for lingard also don't forget.

that's appalling and that type of management comes from the very top.

The club is toxic and hopefully in a month's time, big changes will finally take place.
I don't disagree with you here and have written long winded posts on the issues from my perspective.

The difference between a board/manager and DoF/Head Coach structure needs to be understood.

devilish

Rangnick's style is gegen pressing in a high line and even coaches in the championship and League 1 implement it.
Most teams at EPL mid table and below defend in numbers and with a low line. England itself doesn't play that game either. I am not a big follower of league 1 or the championship but do they have that sort of quality at that level to play such game?

choccy77

What Ralf was able to do In one week was demonstrate how unfit our players were and then in the first few weeks show up how badly, the players were unwilling to work on becoming fitter.

Ronaldo at 37 was probably the fittest player in the entire club, which is a) a credit to him b) an embarrassment to all the younger early to mid twenty year old players.

Give them millions and a PS5 at 18 years old and you quickly see where the professionalism goes.

I look at the work rate of Connor Gallagher and his performances and compare to anyone in United squad and its abundantly clear who wants it and fights for everything and those who just expect everything to be given to them.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Most teams at EPL mid table and below defend in numbers and with a low line. England itself doesn't play that game either. I am not a big follower of league 1 or the championship but do they have that sort of quality at that level to play such game?
Counter pressing in a compact high block is pretty straight forward. In the EPL I've seen Potter do it at Brighton with positional play capabilities, pochettino did the same at Espanyol and at Soton, Spurs. Rodgers did similar at Liverpool. And Eddie Howe did the same at Bournemouth bringing them up from the lower leagues. And the ex MK Dons coach (Russell) is also making a name for himself by adopting a similar approach.

The hard one to implement is positional play hence Klopp brought in a Dutch coach to evolve his play style.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
What Ralf was able to do In one week was demonstrate how unfit our players were and then in the first few weeks show up how badly, the players were unwilling to work on becoming fitter.

Ronaldo at 37 was probably the fittest player in the entire club, which is a) a credit to him b) an embarrassment to all the younger early to mid twenty year old players.

Give them millions and a PS5 at 18 years old and you quickly see where the professionalism goes.

I look at the work rate of Connor Gallagher and his performances and compare to anyone in United squad and its abundantly clear who wants it and fights for everything and those who just expect everything to be given to them.
A big problem is the way the club has inflated our young player's egos over this past decade. They get large wages, sponsorship deals, & social media attention straight away, before they've even achieved anything in the game of note.

Last edited:

choccy77

A big problem is the way the club has inflated our young player's egos over this past decade. They get large wages, sponsorship deals, & social media attention straight away, before they've even achieved anything in the game of note. We then wonder why they expect everything to be handed to them? We're playing a major part in causing it ourselves imo.
Badly run club, panic buying and high wages ....

There was a time a player would snap your hand off to play for United.

Sadly these days young people expect money without having to earn it.

As a photographer, I see it everyday from people with zero modelling experience, expecting to be paid like a pro model, just because they can take a selfie and slap a fake filter on it.

I really pray Ten Hag and new recruitment's above really change the culture at United.

DevilRed

Anyone at the Caf with the latest update on Football Manager would have a better overview of players/talents to buy than the scouting department at United.
To be fair, they actually use data compiled by professional scouts/organisations.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The Chief Scout has less experience than boy scouts, earning millions.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
This summer transfer window is going to be a massive let down. Not enough will have changed in a short space of time. Our recruitment department is years behind the top clubs.

The King Eric

This summer transfer window is going to be a massive let down. Not enough will have changed in a short space of time. Our recruitment department is years behind the top clubs.
Ah mate come on.. not enough changed. The CEO, chief negotiator and the two main scouts have left the club .. added to that a new manager has been brought in before the start of May

Leftback99

Ah mate come on.. not enough changed. The CEO, chief negotiator and the two main scouts have left the club .. added to that a new manager has been brought in before the start of May
We'll see by the end of the transfer window I suppose. Hope you're right.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Badly run club, panic buying and high wages ....

There was a time a player would snap your hand off to play for United.

Sadly these days young people expect money without having to earn it.

As a photographer, I see it everyday from people with zero modelling experience, expecting to be paid like a pro model, just because they can take a selfie and slap a fake filter on it.

I really pray Ten Hag and new recruitment's above really change the culture at United.
Yeah it's all an indictment on the way the clubs been ran since SAF. To be fair even the higher ups have been resting on their laurels, so no wonder the players have done the same. It's been the culture here from top down.

I do believe there's reason for optimism now though with all the changes we're making behind the scenes, and those people no longer here anymore. I get the strong feeling that Murtough, Rangnick and the rest are very passionate to restore our pride. What's more they appear to understand why this has happened, and seem to not mess around in fixing it too. We've probably made more changes in the past 6 months/year than we've ever made since SAF retired, so it does bode well imo.

roseguy64

Agreed. I sense Ralf is trying to mitigate blame coming his way. To be honest I’m more concerned that he didn’t identify CM as the real issue. I would have much preferred a DM being the January signing. If Rangnick was so concerned about our forwards why did he let Martial go out on loan? I’m not suggesting Martial was the answer to our problems but we needed numbers at the very least to rotate.
He was concerned about it only after Greenwood was no longer available. Martial was loaned out on January 25. Greenwood's thing came out on January 30.

luke511

Did these two get replaced? Or were they fired without replacement?

Leftback99

So far so good..
Yeah unfortunately all too predictable despite people trying to tell me otherwise. It's actually been even worse than I thought. Scandalous that any PL club's scouting amounts to 'just ask the manager what he wants' in 2022. We must be an absolute laughing stock at clubs like Liverpool and City.

Skills

Snitch
Yeah unfortunately all too predictable despite people trying to tell me otherwise. It's actually been even worse than I thought. Scandalous that any PL club's scouting amounts to 'just ask the manager what he wants' in 2022. We must be an absolute laughing stock at clubs like Liverpool and City.
That's how our fans want the club to be run though right? Back the manager that's peddled every 10 posts?

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Surely there are scheduled meetings between the manager and the scouting team to work out what each target brings to the table? I’m sick of this scattergun approach. It reeks of feverish desperation and aimlessness.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I was actually going to say you were wrong with this - "Our recruitment department is years behind the top clubs" - it should read ANY club, not top club.

RashyGiggsy

I have a question.

Where can I find information on United's scouting department? Online source. I'd like to know more about who the scouts are, where they scout, their experience, etc. And about how the system works.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Has there been any link to someone new coming in and running the recruitment? Or does Murtough think he smashed it in the summer?

Skills

Snitch
Has there been any link to someone new coming in and running the recruitment? Or does Murtough think he smashed it in the summer?
Or we could keep our back office roles out of the media spotlight to protect them from our weird, obsessive fanbase?

Crashoutcassius

Course he thinks he smashed it, there's no one above him to tell him otherwise.
so before we moaned that the football people weren't given enough control, and now we complain that the football people dont have people over them (as they did with woody)

we need to get the story straight

Yakuza_devils

We can't appoint anyone for this position, otherwise come next summer window we will run out of excuses for doing poorly in the market.

pascell

so before we moaned that the football people weren't given enough control, and now we complain that the football people dont have people over them (as they did with woody)

we need to get the story straight
Please enlighten me, who's in a position above Murtough to tell tell him he's done a poor job?