Manuel Ugarte

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Has anyone paid attention to this lad!?

Plays for Sporting, only 21 and looked the absolute buisness against Arsenal.

Have a feeling he'll be off to a top team this summer.

Sporting CP, whats the consensus amongst your lot?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Has anyone paid attention to this lad!?
Ugarte bears some similarities with Mr. Frenkie de Jong, if you squint hard enough; maybe that has turned ten Hag's head? Not as flamboyant as the Dutchman, for what it's worth, or the most adventurous passer right now (think of him as someone who is mostly neat-and-tidy and deferential in his approach, with the potential to eventually mature into a high-caliber metronomic holding midfielder who is profoundly influential in the initial build-up phases), but pretty comfortable in the face of sustained pressure, possesses an above-average technical skill set, aggressive and competitive in his approach and can handle a tough defensive workload (while being an advanced reader of the game for his age), and also an effective ball-carrier from deep or central midfield (which is a valuable characteristic). To add, he comes across as a consummate team-player and has adjusted quite well to the departures of reference points like Nunes (to Wolverhampton) and Palhinha (to Fulham) in the summer...which speaks to his personality, and “leadership potential”. Dunno if he will turn into one of the best midfielders around (like fellow countryman Valverde, for example...who is one of the finest multi-purpose operators around), but I would be pleased if we sign this profile of player — at the very least, he could be hungry, team-oriented and young (yet to turn 22) addition to the squad. :)

P.S. Moving this thread to Football Forum...
  • Do not create threads for players unless you can provide a credible transfer source. If there's no source then you're simply discussing a footballer, so go to the Football Forum instead
Transfer Forum 2022/23 Rules - Reminder : Please do not post memes in the Football forums.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I’ve posted about him before. Here’s a post from 2020:
He doesn't play for an English club, and this probably the wrong thread but I don't know where else to say this and want to name drop him, but Manuel Ugarte looks very promising. Similar style to Frenkie De Jong.

We should be all over this guy. I watched a Brazil -Uruguay U23 game earlier this year to watch Matheus Henrique of Gremio who I think is similar to Thiago and he (Ugarte) stole the show.
If I recall correctly, it was the same match I saw Martinelli (before he joined Arsenal) and Antony (before he joined Ajax), too. Those three (along with Matheus Henrique who’s a press resistant midfielder himself ) were the standouts for me.

I actually think Ugarte has changed his game since playing senior football. At youth level, i likened him to de Jong. Very press resistant and turned well. At senior level, he’s become a the type of midfielder who covers every blade of grass winning the ball.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I actually think Ugarte has changed his game since playing senior football. At youth level, i likened him to de Jong. Very press resistant and turned well. At senior level, he’s become a the type of midfielder who covers every blade of grass winning the ball.
On a related note, there's a separate Frenkie-esque midfielder coming through the ranks for Uruguay!

A few clips featuring his change-of-direction and ball-carrying abilities in the ongoing U-17 Sudamericano:

Highlights from the Uruguayan National Youth Integration Tournament (where Nacional were crowned champions for the U-16 bracket), and some extra bits from U-17 appearances for Uruguay:

Transfermarkt: Thiago Helguera

Another up-and-coming midfielder to keep an eye on, as a cheap understudy to Casemiro or developmental option in central midfield, is Fabricio Díaz (aggressive, all-action, versatile and technically decent with 100 appearances for Montevideo since age 17, and 23 caps for the U-20 team). :)

Transfermarkt: Fabricio Díaz

Yagami

Good post resistant
Oooh, he looks very promising! Thanks for the heads up, @Invictus ! I'll definitely keep track of him.

@antohan , just thought I'd tag you :D

Vabelico

Ugarte is the player I want most at United. Aggressive, fighting, great technically. Him and Kokcu are great choices.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Oooh, he looks very promising! Thanks for the heads up, @Invictus ! I'll definitely keep track of him.

@antohan , just thought I'd tag you :D
Thanks. I gather you guys are after Frenkie alternatives. Personally, I find Thiago, err, a bit inconsequential. Same goes for Frenkie, so it's not exactly a damning indictment. It's not I don't appreciate the ball-carrying and press-resistance, but I'm just the sort that thinks what he adds on top is what makes Modric 10 times the player FDJ is or ever will be. The opposite of inconsequential, basically.

I don't watch Portuguese football so no idea how Ugarte is developing but my hope has always been he could be the sort of player Casemiro has gone on to be for us.

bucky

I think if we were only to sign one player in midfield this summer, I'd want it to be him. He looks excellent and has the skill coupled with the tenacity that we need in midfield, especially when Casemiro isn't playing.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I said in the Europa thread Vs Arsenal, he reminded me massively of Casemiro - red card to boot! I would be very happy for him to come here, was super tenacious and also used the ball very proactively, got things going and covered the whole pitch defensively.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Would really like Ugarte at Newcastle. Bruno does a lot of defensive work for us out of necessity but isn't naturally a DM and he could be even better if allowed to play further up

Bojan Djordjic

Ugarte looks really nice on the ball but he doesn't seem to be a very progressive passer and for a really press-resistant guy he doesn't seem to carry the ball very progressively either. He's extremely young though and even someone like Caicedo who's as nailed on an elite player as there is doesn't do either of those things especially well.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Ugarte looks really nice on the ball but he doesn't seem to be a very progressive passer and for a really press-resistant guy he doesn't seem to carry the ball very progressively either. He's extremely young though and even someone like Caicedo who's as nailed on an elite player as there is doesn't do either of those things especially well.
I think he's progressive enough though, we do have to be wary of the role or instruction on how he's being asked to play. Your Caicedo comparison is pretty apt, the impact they both have on their team does go beyond those stats.

abraz79

Supports
Sporting CP
We'll seriously regret not getting him this summer.

After the injustice of yesterday's elimination of Sporting CP from Europa League, Sporting has pratically no chance to be in the Champions league next season. That means no CL money, Sporting CP will have to make at least one or two big player sales in the next transfer window.

I believe Ugarte would be a great addition to Man Utd's midfield and give ETH more tactical options. I think he would make a difference to the way the team plays. And he's young, still lots of potential.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think Matheus Nunes should also be an option for us, in addition to Ugarte. We all know who The One is (sort of, excluding Mame Diouf of course) however if we cannot get him then those may be good options.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Disappointing. This guy was my top choice to partner with Enzo.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
If Enzo went for 130, this lad won't go for less than 100 :wenger::smirk:. Hopefully Liverpool get bumped again in Portugal :D

antohan

Fecks sake, he would be great for Liverpool. Not a chance he comes to us with Pellistri having played roughly as many minutes at the World Cup than in the entire season for us.

abraz79

Supports
Sporting CP
It seems Ugarte will go to PSG- They beat the release clause (60M€), they only have to reach an agreement with the player and Famalicão (owners of 20%).

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Another up-and-coming midfielder to keep an eye on, as a cheap understudy to Casemiro or developmental option in central midfield, is Fabricio Díaz (aggressive, all-action, versatile and technically decent with 100 appearances for Montevideo since age 17, and 23 caps for the U-20 team). :)

Transfermarkt: Fabricio Díaz
Off-topic post but Fabricio just skippered Uruguay to their first ever U-20 World Cup title...

antohan

Off-topic post but Fabricio just skippered Uruguay to their first ever U-20 World Cup title...

Stole the show at the final, kept everyone cool despite the VAR refereeing becoming outrageously one-sided.

Got smacked in the face at the end and jogged on, knowing there was nothing to gain protesting and far better to stick to being the superior side on the pitch.

Very impressive, arguably a strong Golden Ball candidate. Shame Infantino had arranged for Italians to get the Golden Ball, Boot and Glove, and for Roberto Baggio to hand over the trophy.

FIFA will never change but football will keep prevailing, sometimes.

antohan

Apparently Barca couldn't afford him at the quoted 8M USD. No brainer if you ask me.

We should actually take a close at that Liverpool side (aye, I know). They are playing great football with a bunch of kids. The guys in red in the gif below are Nacional, who just came one point of the top with one loss in their Libertadores group. They make them look like a pub side.