Marc Guéhi

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He’ll cost more than the other options going off OP and not sure he’s the best of the 4 being linked

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'd imagine the £50m asking price is for other clubs as it factors in our sell on clause. Could perhaps be a bit cheaper for us to rebuy him.
Does sell on clauses apply if the buying club is the team that has the sell on clause? We had a 40% sell on clause for Livramento for example, if we matched Newcastle’s offer of around £40M, would our final price have been around £26M?

Supports
Chelsea
Does sell on clauses apply if the buying club is the team that has the sell on clause? We had a 40% sell on clause for Livramento for example, if we matched Newcastle’s offer of around £40M, would our final price have been around £26M?
I don’t believe so but someone with more knowledge can correct if wrong. What I meant by us getting him cheaper was Palace might have preferred selling to us for £40-45m instead of another club for £50m as a significant portion of that would’ve gone to us.

mav_9me

I don't see this a starter given how much he would cost, and how reluctant Crystal Palace would be to sell him. Selling him might mean a relegation battle for them

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t believe so but someone with more knowledge can correct if wrong. What I meant by us getting him cheaper was Palace might have preferred selling to us for £40-45m instead of another club for £50m as a significant portion of that would’ve gone to us.
Yeah I guess that would be make sense if the sell on clause could not be activated by us being the buyer.

davidmichael

I always thought Tomori was the more talented one of the two of them a few years back and still believe that, we’d get stung for United tax then English tax and then Premier League player tax when Guehi is not better than Todibo or Pavard in my opinion.

Shinjch

He would be an asset to most teams in the league. A really good modern centre back,

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Good player. I’m a big fan of Branthwaite too though, think he’s a great prospect and should be very attainable.

Brophs

The One and Only
He’ll be at a big club before long, whether it’s us or elsewhere.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I always thought Tomori was the more talented one of the two of them a few years back and still believe that, we’d get stung for United tax then English tax and then Premier League player tax when Guehi is not better than Todibo or Pavard in my opinion.
I'd have to agree, I think Guehi is a decent player, but not particularly exceptional, not in the same class as a player such as Kim.

Ekeke

No. Would want a taller CB for playing next to Lisandro and a reasonable price is around £35-40 million including England tax, cant see why he would he cost more than Timber did for Arsenal for example. He's fine and doing well at the start of the season for Palace and has done decently for England (so has Maguire). Theres just much better options especially if you have £75 million to spend on a CB. Whoever that is should be someone we believe could become the best CB in the world. Maybe someone like Antonio Silva at Benfica or Scalvini at Atalanta if its a bidding war with top clubs and thats the only way to get them. I dont think Guehi is going to become England's best CB let alone that

Stadjer

Come on, Kim went for under 50m. There are better players or at least similar players for less. CB is probably one of the better stocked positions in the game
Kim was an unique situation. Kim had a very uncommon low release clause in his contract. Using Kim as an example to show that there are better and cheaper players doesnt make sense to me. Look at almost every other centre back that was bought by big clubs. Chelsea had to pay almost the same amount for unproven defenders from the French league than Bayern had to pay for the best defender in the Serie A. Look at what City had to pay for Gvardiol who was one of the best defenders in Germany.

lysglimt

Scout
Apart from his skills - there is one thing I really like about this guy

Over the last 3 seasons - he has played a total of 113 league games - so he has basically missed 9 games over 3 seasons - and for all I know, he might have been on the bench in some of the games he missed for Swansea in the Championship.So he basically is a Bruno (never misses a game)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Apart from his skills - there is one thing I really like about this guy

Over the last 3 seasons - he has played a total of 113 league games - so he has basically missed 9 games over 3 seasons - and for all I know, he might have been on the bench in some of the games he missed for Swansea in the Championship.So he basically is a Bruno (never misses a game)
Great let’s buy him because he’s always fit. Guess who else is always fit? Lindelof
Let’s buy players if they are any good not just because they don’t get injured much

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He'd be like a perfect signing if our goal is to spend significant amount of money on a player that will marginally improve our team, or not improve it at all.

I don't think we are genuinely interested though. With De Ligt's situation at Bayern I can't see us taking interest in any other center half anyway.

YzWayne

Great let’s buy him because he’s always fit. Guess who else is always fit? Lindelof
Let’s buy players if they are any good not just because they don’t get injured much
May still be better than buying a world class player who is always injured :drool:

lysglimt

Scout
Staying fit is incredibly important. Ferguson himself wrote in his biography that one of the first thing he looked at when checking out a player, was how many games they had missed over the last few seasons.

Guehi is a good defender - I never said he was my first choice. But would I take Guehi over Varane ? As Varane never stays fit - sure.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Staying fit is incredibly important. Ferguson himself wrote in his biography that one of the first thing he looked at when checking out a player, was how many games they had missed over the last few seasons.

Guehi is a good defender - I never said he was my first choice. But would I take Guehi over Varane ? As Varane never stays fit - sure.
Varane is our best defender when fit. Would i replace him? Sure. Would i replace him with Guehi? No. He’s not good enough.