Marc Skinner | "Has been offered a new contract"

Marc Skinner's contract runs out in May - what now?

• Renew

• Don't renew

• Remove him now

Results are only viewable after voting.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
It's been rumbling for a while - is Marc Skinner the manager to take the women's team forward? It's a question that comes up after practically every game against a big team. It comes up despite us being runners-up to Chelsea in the the WFA Cup and the league last year.

Is it really all about budgets and paying squad depth/quality and experience or does he also lack the quality and experience to take us further?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I've been doubtful about Skinner for a while - including last season when we got to our first final and pushed Chelsea to the final game of the season in the League.

I doubt his team selection - the loyalty to some, the lack of opportunity for others, the random "surprise" formation change (that seem to surprise our players more than the opponents), the lack of rotation and resistance to using subs. I doubt his tactics, particularly against big teams with fast forwards. I doubt his game management.

I reckon I'm watching a manager who thinks "his plan" should work and that changes (personnel or tactics) are an admission of failure.

Some managers make up for any tactical weaknesses they have by being great people managers. He shows no signs of that. With so much in the game being about belief and confidence (in your own ability and your team) I don't see him him doing that. If his press conference style lines up with his behind the scenes style I'd hate playing for him.

As to timing - as soon as possible, but I think realistically that's at the end of the season. Replacing him won't be easy - especially not with Chelsea recruiting but it's a necessity going forward. No way would I give him that bigger budget he talks about so I'd hate to see him get a new contract.

Meanwhile I'd keep him away from player recruitment and contract renewals. Easier said than done with no new manager lined up perhaps, but a necessity all the same

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
If I ran a successful business I would recruit someone with the surname Skinner just so I could shout this on a daily basis:

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
The criticism towards him has been ridiculous, considering what he’s done. Last season was brilliant, broke the dominance of the big three and made it to the cup final.

Having said that, this season it’s gone a bit stale. Despite some good signings I hoped would make us repeat what we did last year, we’ve dropped back to being one of the also-rans.

It’s still worth noting that the top three are unbelievably consistent and we gave PSG a decent challenge in our first ever CL appearance.

So while it’s not been the disaster some make it out to be, I feel this might be the right time to find a new direction. Changing for the sake of changing is not worth it though, so it all depends on what realistic options we have.

Scanny

He took over a Casey Stoney squad who knew each other really well and developed together as a team reaching the heights of last season. They probably over-achieved.
This season has been nowhere near and the players do not look like they know what they are supposed to be doing. They also don’t look like they are enjoying playing either.

The team is dodgy at the back, controls little in the middle, and creates very few chances at the front.

Skinner is obviously not the manager to take this team forward. He’s taken this team as far as he is able. He doesn’t have the tactical nous to affect games in play either.

The question is who should be the next manager in the summer as I really cannot see his contract being renewed.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I think he got too much criticism last season seeing as it was the best season ever for this team.

There has always been these rumours of players being unhappy with him even last season, I don't know how much if that is true though - I've never seen any proof of it beyond Twitter rumours.

But this season has undoubtedly been a massive disappointment. there are mitigating circumstances likes losing big players, injuries etc but a top manager would still be able to set up a team to at least grind out a few draws in those big 6 point games which make all the difference.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Don't renew if there's a viable option.

He just doesn't seem capable of changing anything when the A-plan fails nor pushing us on. The arrogance of his interviews suggests he never will be either.

Great last season and as top said above it hasn't been as big a disaster as it seems considering the injuries/transfers, but there's just no faith in him to take us on.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Don't renew if there's a viable option.

He just doesn't seem capable of changing anything when the A-plan fails nor pushing us on. The arrogance of his interviews suggests he never will be either.

Great last season and as top said above it hasn't been as big a disaster as it seems considering the injuries/transfers, but there's just no faith in him to take us on.
Wonder who would be available. Chelsea are already going after an obvious target. Do we go for a foreign manager? We need to instill winning in this team, not plucky losers mentality.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Maybe it will depend on the INEOS guys @jojojo

said in one of the other threads, I wonder if they will replace the DoF who was responsible for the women’s team development? If so, then whoever they bring in will surely want to get their own person

Demon Barber

I think he has run his course. I agree with a lot of what has already been posted, although not with the injuries point - Arsenal have had worse (Mead, Williamson, Miedema)

As for losing our strong players, James to Chelsea was an obvious choice for her, as was Batlle back to Barca. Russo, it could be argued, went for glory. Losing such players could be down to the manager, but could also reflect the lack of ambition at United. Remember, we may well be a huge name, but are minnows compared to Chelsea, Arsenal and City.

I derailed myself! Yes it is time for Skinner to depart at the end of the season. Jojojo mostly said my thoughts. As for a replacement - INEOS should be ambitious - Wiegman rather than Phil Neville!

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
If his contract is expiring that seems the obvious course. Last season was genuinely great and it wasn't like we were punching well above our weight, we were taking it to the best sides in the league and should've at least come away with one trophy from it. But he as a manager really doesn't inspire confidence, and the cache earned previously has pretty much run out at this point. No idea who we'd replace him with and that's obviously a concern given our general record, if Ho was still here I'd have probably been behind letting go of Skinner now and having him as interim. No one from the WSL stands out as a candidate, tbh.

buchansleftleg

He's out of his depth and should never have been given the job. If INEOS are just after quick headlines then he'll probably be offered an extension. If they are serious about success for the whole club then they'll move heavan and earth to get Casey Stoney back....She's the second best manager I've ever seen in charge of a football club...second only to Fergie.

Scanny

He's out of his depth and should never have been given the job. If INEOS are just after quick headlines then he'll probably be offered an extension. If they are serious about success for the whole club then they'll move heavan and earth to get Casey Stoney back....She's the second best manager I've ever seen in charge of a football club...second only to Fergie.
Stoney has just signed a new contract with Wave and has all her family settled there.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
In one simple moment his whole life can turn around

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Looks like contract renewal for Marc is not a priority for many people in here :smirk:

Which does send us down the track towards asking who we hope to bring in. I must admit my vision is very limited. Is there a manager in England who would suit us? There's not anyone with trophies to their name who I can think of - if only because Emma Hayes/Chelsea has had things tied down pretty tightly here. Carla Ward gets mentioned for getting more out of Villa than anyone expected, but it's that enough - do we need a trophy winner to get us into the winner habit?

Europe then? The US? An international manager perhaps (though not Wiegman - the FA have her for another few years)

Thoughts please.

And it would be great to hear from anyone who does think United should renew with Skinner as well.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Would make a big statement to go and poach someone from US footy - no idea how budgets and salaries compare though

kundalini

I think it was a disgrace that he got the job in the first place. How on earth do you go from an inspirational female manager to such an underwhelming male coach that seems to love the sound of his own voice ? Did they abandon all the criteria used to select Casey Stoney in the first place ?

I would fire him today. Remove him now is the option I chose.

Demon Barber

I think it was a disgrace that he got the job in the first place. How on earth do you go from an inspirational female manager to such an underwhelming male coach that seems to love the sound of his own voice ? Did they abandon all the criteria used to select Casey Stoney in the first place ?

I may be wrong, but I think I read that Stoney left the club due to a lack of ambition and investment.

McKenna would be a decent replacement.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Looks like contract renewal for Marc is not a priority for many people in here :smirk:

Which does send us down the track towards asking who we hope to bring in. I must admit my vision is very limited. Is there a manager in England who would suit us? There's not anyone with trophies to their name who I can think of - if only because Emma Hayes/Chelsea has had things tied down pretty tightly here. Carla Ward gets mentioned for getting more out of Villa than anyone expected, but it's that enough - do we need a trophy winner to get us into the winner habit?

Europe then? The US? An international manager perhaps (though not Wiegman - the FA have her for another few years)

Thoughts please.

And it would be great to hear from anyone who does think United should renew with Skinner as well.
I think if this was last year then Ward might be in the conversation, but given Villa's loss of form this year I don't see it.

Imagine if it's Willie Kirk :nervous:

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I think the Stoney boat sailed when she was let down by Woodward/the Glazers about facilities. Proved to her the club weren’t serious about a women’s team at that point.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I wonder if we would see more managers moving between Men's and Women's football as the money increases on the Women's side.

At the moment I'm guessing that being manager of Ipswich Town pays a lot more than MU Women, but I could be wrong.

golden_blunder

Staff
The very one.
In which case, I gotta ask why he would give up a growing reputation and ideal first managers job to take over the ladies team at United? He’s in a job which is at a higher level. Some day he may be back at United but it will be as head coach for the men’s team.

golden_blunder

Staff
I wonder if we would see more managers moving between Men's and Women's football as the money increases on the Women's side.

At the moment I'm guessing that being manager of Ipswich Town pays a lot more than MU Women, but I could be wrong.
As well as the money, I daresay that you have a chance at a better job in the PL if you’re doing well in the championship and he’s had them flying this year.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
As well as the money, I daresay that you have a chance at a better job in the PL if you’re doing well in the championship and he’s had them flying this year.
Ye probably - if we are looking at the United connection then more likely than McKenna is Ole, I seem to remember his daughter was a good player

Scanny

Who is available? Are there not any really experienced female coaches without a job right now? Maybe one of the international coaches perhaps who stepped down after the World Cup?

golden_blunder

Staff
Ye probably - if we are looking at the United connection then more likely than McKenna is Ole, I seem to remember his daughter was a good player
I’d love to see that, perfect personality, give him a couple of good coaches

golden_blunder

Staff
A thought just struck me, will they employ the same fundamentals through the men, ladies, youth teams etc to have a style that is synonymous with United?

Demon Barber

The McKenna suggestion was not entirely serious - just that I think he would be an excellent choice. True, he is doing really well at Ipswich, and didn't he turn down an offer from a Prem club recently? Ole is a good shout.

I just do not know who the good managers are in the women's game.

Demon Barber

A thought just struck me, will they employ the same fundamentals through the men, ladies, youth teams etc to have a style that is synonymous with United?
This opens up a whole new debate. Do we have a style anymore? I think the ethos of attacking intent should run through all of our teams. I suppose a lot will depend upon the DoF and whether he oversees the youth and the women too.

top1whoisman

Scout

Considering it’s a disgrace that this underwhelming coach got the job, he’s done pretty well. Our best ever league finish just two points behind the champions and a cup final.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Considering it’s a disgrace that this underwhelming coach got the job, he’s done pretty well. Our best ever league finish just two points behind the champions and a cup final.
I think it's a mark of people's frustrations that we look at the warning signs from his recruitment. Particularly as we're talking about who might come next.

We were sold him as a coach with a great eye for talent and the ability to bring out the best in young players. Unfortunately a lack of player development in particular when it comes to bringing young players through has been part of the story.

Budgetary constraints may have limited what we can do but it's hard to see it as the only issue when we see the players who left us (for more playing time!) doing well or we see Irene Guerrero on the bench. Just how good an eye for talent does he really have? More crucially just how good is his eye for putting together teams that play to the strengths of the squad that he does have?

Ultimately it's the feeling that he doesn't learn from past experience - particularly when it comes to playing the big teams or the big games.

top1whoisman

Scout
I think it's a mark of people's frustrations that we look at the warning signs from his recruitment. Particularly as we're talking about who might come next.

We were sold him as a coach with a great eye for talent and the ability to bring out the best in young players. Unfortunately a lack of player development in particular when it comes to bringing young players through has been part of the story.

Budgetary constraints may have limited what we can do but it's hard to see it as the only issue when we see the players who left us (for more playing time!) doing well or we see Irene Guerrero on the bench. Just how good an eye for talent does he really have? More crucially just how good is his eye for putting together teams that play to the strengths of the squad that he does have?

Ultimately it's the feeling that he doesn't learn from past experience - particularly when it comes to playing the big teams or the big games.
Yeah that’s fair, can’t disagree with any of it really. Just find the abuse and some criticism over the top.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Yeah that’s fair, can’t disagree with any of it really. Just find the abuse and some criticism over the top.
Definitely agree on last season when I couldnt understand the amount of fans giving him abuse, this season it's more understandable

He's done a decent job overall, probably just time for some new ideas