Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

superdry

touched by a genius
Thought he was his normal self for the first part of his game last night (rapid but touch let him down) but the last twenty, everything he touched looked another level! I don't know if it was just a very tired Malta, but he looked top class.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Played very well and that ball to Kane was excellent. Has a great range of attributes - it is tying it all into one complete package that is the challenge.

NYAS

Played very well and that ball to Kane was excellent. Has a great range of attributes - it is tying it all into one complete package that is the challenge.
He definitely looks like he's trying, and trying very hard. I don't remember the last time I've so clearly seen a player actively work on his own development as much as I have with Rashford since he broke through. I've also never seen him in the media for negative reasons, nor have there even been any whispers about attitude problems. He's still very young but it's extremely encouraging.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He definitely looks like he's trying, and trying very hard. I don't remember the last time I've so clearly seen a player actively work on his own development as much as I have with Rashford since he broke through. I've also never seen him in the media for negative reasons, nor have there even been any whispers about attitude problems. He's still very young but it's extremely encouraging.
Rashford mentally and physically is a massive talent. He also has a good range of technical attributes but lacks consistency in this area verging from championship footballer to Cristiano Ronaldo often in the same game. That is his biggest weakness .. but with that attitude you would hope he manages to bring that consistency into his game through sheer will and application.

In terms of natural consistent talent, he's behind guys like Dembele etc but mentally he's one of the strongest youngsters in the world. Sometimes though that isn't enough but he has loads of years on his side.

Mani

If ox is worth £40m and sterling worth £50m then rashford is surely worth £70m.
I don't understand why we are discussing on the worth of our player when are not looking to sell him now.

NYAS

Rashford mentally and physically is a massive talent. He also has a good range of technical attributes but lacks consistency in this area verging from championship footballer to Cristiano Ronaldo often in the same game. That is his biggest weakness .. but with that attitude you would hope he manages to bring that consistency into his game through sheer will and application.

In terms of natural consistent talent, he's behind guys like Dembele etc but mentally he's one of the strongest youngsters in the world. Sometimes though that isn't enough but he has loads of years on his side.
I would say that's mostly accurate. I would also say that based on what little we've already seen this season, he's making good progress technically; his dribbling to be more specific. Although I hope that his ability to finish chances when he has time to think improves drastically before it comes back to bite us. And I'm confident it will. I need to shake off those nightmares of Welbeck trying to chip Neuer.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
That's the thing that convinces me that Rashford will be an excellent player in the future. When he first broke through, those who hasn't seen him play in the youth games were convinced that he's more of a poacher type of striker but now since that his other areas have come into play/or public eyes. His long range shooting and vision has certainly improved a lot since he has come into the first team picture. His finishing has been inconsistent but I do think that we've been spoiled in that regard by Martial's finishing whose composure is just ridiculous for his age.

I'm not talking about you but there's a tendency to underrate him these days on these forums cos he plays in front of Martial. I thought he played very good in the West Ham match, the reactions here towards lukewarm at best. Then I saw the post match analysis and Henry specifically pointed Rashford out and said that he completely destroyed them in this match. I checked the WHU forums and their twitter reactions and all of them gave Rashford the MoTM and said that he ripped them apart.

Last edited:

itso 7

Agree with this but I think last season he was mishandled a bit as in I think there was too much focus on developing him as a pace merchant which put his other attributes to the background. It was only against Leicester last week that I saw him using things like his vision and passing whereas last season his default setting was burn a defender for pace. I could be wrong though but thats the impression I got.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff

Which is actually what Ronaldo himself was like at Rashfords age. Sky's the limit for Rashford, it's all about working hard and refining his game which he seems more than willing to do.

People talk about Liverpool's front 3, Martial, Lukaku, Rashford could be just as potent given the opportunity.

Andy_Cole

Spoke to a kid that went high school with him. He told me Rashford would get to school hours early just so he can get on the field to train. He seems to have this hunger, the CR7 motivation which is so rare in this day and age.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Which is actually what Ronaldo himself was like at Rashfords age. Sky's the limit for Rashford, it's all about working hard and refining his game which he seems more than willing to do.

People talk about Liverpool's front 3, Martial, Lukaku, Rashford could be just as potent given the opportunity.
Disagree. People shit on Ronaldo 18-22 far too often when even on his debut it was apparent that he was a Ballon D'or winning talent of the future.

Nothing I have seen from Rashford comes close to the completeness of Ronaldo's debut, here was a kid completely in control of his dribbling and technically outstanding, literally only Ronaldinho looked superior to the guy in terms of sheer technical wizardry with the ball and that was him at 18.

Where Ronaldo needed guidance was with adding regular end product to his game and simplifying his game to get the most out of him as a footballer, but talent wise Cristiano is one of the most talented ever youngsters and he was just head and shoulders above Rashford in every sense.

No matter how good Rashford develops I don't think he'll ever come close to a Cristiano and that is where I think people seriously overhype him as a player.

Rashford can be a world class star, yes.. but a multiple Ballon D'or winner? nope not for me, I don't see it.

Wilt

Massive talent and still only 19 ......and he plays for united!

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Disagree. People shit on Ronaldo 18-22 far too often when even on his debut it was apparent that he was a Ballon D'or winning talent of the future.

Nothing I have seen from Rashford comes close to the completeness of Ronaldo's debut, here was a kid completely in control of his dribbling and technically outstanding, literally only Ronaldinho looked superior to the guy in terms of sheer technical wizardry with the ball and that was him at 18.

Where Ronaldo needed guidance was with adding regular end product to his game and simplifying his game to get the most out of him as a footballer, but talent wise Cristiano is one of the most talented ever youngsters and he was just head and shoulders above Rashford in every sense.

No matter how good Rashford develops I don't think he'll ever come close to a Cristiano and that is where I think people seriously overhype him as a player.

Rashford can be a world class star, yes.. but a multiple Ballon D'or winner? nope not for me, I don't see it.
I think you're reading too much into the Ronaldo comparison. By and large it's just used as an example that, even in the case of quite possibly the greatest player ever, he still had plenty of flaws in his game at an early age. He's got plenty of time to iron out the creases in his game. He's already a very, very good player.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff

Ronaldo was very raw his first couple of seasons with us, massively overcomplicated his play and as you say his end product wasn't there yet. Sir Alex was the perfect coach for him in that regard.

I'm not saying Rashford can go on to become Ronaldo good but at the same age I can see similarities.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Heard he was something of a bright spark for England last night, how did he do?

Treble

Martial may be a tad more naturally skilled on the ball but Rashford's mentality guarantees success in the long run. I fully understand Jose's decision to start him over Martial at the start of the season.

DannyDee

Heard he was something of a bright spark for England last night, how did he do?
I only saw the highlights, but he played a great ball to Kane for his 2nd goal. Although, it was the end of the game and a very weak opponent. Hopefully, he can work himself into the starting lineup over Sterling. Although, he was playing on the right in this game. Would really like to see him get a chance there for us there with Martial on the left.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

I've compared him to Gareth Bale a few times, and that's a level that I think he can achieve, which on his Spurs form, is a fantastic talent.

That said, I don't think it's beyond him to go slightly further than that and fight the two French boys for the Balon Dor either.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ronaldo wasn't even the biggest talent to come out of the Sporting academy at the time. He was good and showed huge potential, but there was a time when people would've got rid for £20m.

Rashford seems to have improved in his development from last season. His shooting from distance in particular looks better already. The confidence in which he's playing his game is a very positive sign for such a young player. If he can improve on his finishing, then he'll be a elite level player before long.

Utdstar01

Ronaldo wasn't even the biggest talent to come out of the Sporting academy at the time. He was good and showed huge potential, but there was a time when people would've got rid for £20m.

Rashford seems to have improved in his development from last season. His shooting from distance in particular looks better already. The confidence in which he's playing his game is a very positive sign for such a young player. If he can improve on his finishing, then he'll be a elite level player before long.
He's always been a pretty good striker of the ball from distance I just don't think we've seen enough of it from him. Scored some belters for the academy and some brilliant free kicks.

MS4

Wow. Liked what i saw from rashford. What position did he play?

Dobbs

Ronaldo's debut was brilliant but we had to wait quite some time for him to repeat it. The next year or two was very up and down. One of the greatest players of all time was getting dropped from the right wing for Darren Fletcher. His finishing was horrible as well.

That doesn't have any bearing on Rashford of course.

el3mel

Starting to see his future as a winger more than a striker tbh.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ronaldo's debut was brilliant but we had to wait quite some time for him to repeat it. The next year or two was very up and down. One of the greatest players of all time was getting dropped from the right wing for Darren Fletcher. His finishing was horrible as well.

That doesn't have any bearing on Rashford of course.
Him being dropped for Fletcher was infuriating at the time I recall. He was also a 19 year old at the time himself, it's not as if he was some mature option himself.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Him being dropped for Fletcher was infuriating at the time I recall. He was also a 19 year old at the time himself, it's not as if he was some mature option himself.
Infuriating but understandable. Which shows how flakey Ronaldo was at the time.

Obviously, any comparisons between Rashford and one of the greatest players ever to kick a ball are inherently ludicrous/unfair but - as someone old enough to remember Ronaldo's early years very clearly - the similarity between the two is undeniable.

The way they can go from unplayable to inept in the blink of an eye but keep on grafting and keep revealing new strings to their bow. Who new Rashford could hit a dead-ball so well 12 months ago?

Where Marcus goes from here is anybody's guess but there's clear resemblences to a young Ronaldo in the way he works his balls off and has such a diverse array of talents (maybe not as two-footed though?)

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
His shooting technique from distance is ridiculous, maybe we should let him shoot more? Most of his attempts were on target from what I can remember.

Dobbs

Yeah I always wanted Ronaldo to play but at times you had to admit it was the right call. Fletcher just did the basics better, you could rely on him not to do anything silly. Crazy looking back but that was the case.

So I get the Ronaldo comparisons. Having said that I watched a vid of Henry from Euro 2000 the other day. I mentioned it in that thread but Rashford is incredibly similar in style.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
His shooting technique from distance is ridiculous, maybe we should let him shoot more? Most of his attempts were on target from what I can remember.
I doubt anyone stops him.

Dobbs

Infuriating but understandable. Which shows how flakey Ronaldo was at the time.

Obviously, any comparisons between Rashford and one of the greatest players ever to kick a ball are inherently ludicrous/unfair but - as someone old enough to remember Ronaldo's early years very clearly - the similarity between the two is undeniable.

The way they can go from unplayable to inept in the blink of an eye but keep on grafting and keep revealing new strings to their bow. Who new Rashford could hit a dead-ball so well 12 months ago?

Where Marcus goes from here is anybody's guess but there's clear resemblences to a young Ronaldo in the way he works his balls off and has such a diverse array of talents (maybe not as two-footed though?)
Yeah I'd say it's almost impossible to go from being so heavily one footed to the two footed dexterity of Ronaldo. Which I suppose is a big deal. Then there's the heading ability.

Who knows with Rashford though.As you say his repertoire is expanding at pace.

Rick88

When Sterling was 16, United tried to get him, but Liverpool gave a better deal I think. If United has ended up signing Sterling, it may have impacted Rashford's development massively. Funny how things turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.