Marcus Rashford (Out) | Ornstein: United want to keep, will only consider substantial bids

ThinkTank@Cafe

If what we are hearing about INEOS is true (aka no bullshit made up by views hungry entitled United bloggers who I hate (almost) all), then Marcus Rashford will definitely leave the club. 100%. He's everything opposite to what INEOS recruitment policy should (again according to those attention seeking all knowing Man Utd bloggers who produce "breaking" shows 3 to 4 times a day) look like, i.e. shit player (this season I must admit but you know famous INEOS recruitment policy - there's no past only performance) with big salary and questionable attitude.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Much better perspective here. He is largely playing within the tactical scheme, just looking to delay Chelsea, block passing lanes, and fall back into a low block.

It's still shit. You don't need to to be sprinting full pelt at players to press but you need urgency in your movement to keep them honest.

Everything up to 24 seconds is okay because it's 1 vs 3 but from 24 seconds on, the Chelsea player is turned away from his defenders and Rashford allows him to potter forward at his own ease to pick a pass.

After the Chelsea player had turned his back on his defence and looked upfield, that is when you press with lots of aggression.

Pause it on 26 seconds. Chelsea player turned away from his defence. His options up the field generally covered. Then you hunt him and hope to force a turnover or poor pass.

Rashford jogs beside him giving their attackers time to move around and free themselves.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
That is the problem… By over paying players like Rashford & Sancho it severely impacts who would be in a position to sign them .
For Rashford that's the market rate after scored over 30 goals in a season unfortunately, just like Aubameyang in Arsenal back then.

statpadder

He's been playing for 20 minutes and he can't exert any pressure to even try and force a mistake? Its pathetic.
Sometimes I feel people haven’t noticed what we had in 2008. Just go watch clips of Tevez and Rooney and compare it to Rashford’s. And then come back with “nothing wrong with this clip”

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Much better perspective here. He is largely playing within the tactical scheme, just looking to delay Chelsea, block passing lanes, and fall back into a low block.

No offense to that person who posted that, but the "context" makes it look worse and they don't know what they're talking about about.

If you're cutting off passing lanes, how are you doing that at that level of intensity. It wasn't a low block either because he let the player ball just stroll round him.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Sometimes I feel people haven’t noticed what we had in 2008. Just go watch clips of Tevez and Rooney and compare it to Rashford’s. And then come back with “nothing wrong with this clip”
Watch any game from any other team and you'd see the difference. It can be seen weekly just by watching any other football match.
He's a disgrace and I am completely sick of him

clarkydaz

No offense to that person who posted that, but the "context" makes it look worse and they don't know what they're talking about about.

If you're cutting off passing lanes, how are you doing that at that level of intensity. It wasn't a low block either because he let the player ball just stroll round him.
The mental gymnastics here are quite something :lol:

Ole'sgunnarwin

In the first video I see him not giving a toss and walking around whereas in the 2nd video I see him not giving a toss and walking around

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
thankfully its an isolated incident
To be honest, last season was Maguire, and the season before was Ronaldo. This season is Rashford, may be add Bruno in this list as well. It is indeed not an isolated incident. Just sell him or release him for free + pay up his contract like Arsenal did to Aubameyang/Ozil, and move on. You want a cultural reset then start with Rashford. No player is bigger than the club.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Regressed so badly and we really need to move him on for big money if the chance arises. I’m less confident of who we can bring in to replace what he is supposed to offer in the team though. I don’t simply want a player who can come in and better Rashford at his very worst, I want a player who can match Rashford at his best - which is an extremely small market.

Perhaps Garnacho can replace him directly and become that 15+ PL goal winger. Greenwood would have made it easier to replace Rashford as he’d have been an 18 goal wide player himself by now, which would have allowed for more of a creator on the left. But we need a couple of top class goal threats in the front line.

Nevertheless, a solution needs to be found, as we are getting too little for our money with Rashford now, and it doesn’t pay for him to be here as some sort of squad player. Anything short of being the main difference maker in the frontline is not worth what we pay.

SER19

Ive no idea what they were trying to say. Yes everything is fine for the first 15 seconds, and at that point its absolutely blatant that he needs to put pressure on. Its as apalling as it looks in the initial clip

daba

Regressed so badly and we really need to move him on for big money if the chance arises. I’m less confident of who we can bring in to replace what he is supposed to offer in the team though. I don’t simply want a player who can come in and better Rashford at his very worst, I want a player who can match Rashford at his best - which is an extremely small market.

Perhaps Garnacho can replace him directly and become that 15+ PL goal winger. Greenwood would have made it easier to replace Rashford as he’d have been an 18 goal wide player himself by now, which would have allowed for more of a creator on the left. But we need a couple of top class goal threats in the front line.

Nevertheless, a solution needs to be found, as we are getting too little for our money with Rashford now, and it doesn’t pay for him to be here as some sort of squad player. Anything short of being the main difference maker in the frontline is not worth what we pay.
I think Garnacho can make that step. He’s progressed tremendously this year from solely being an impact player to impacting a full 90. Remember in pre-season or at the start of the season when he’d start but look completely off the pace and lost. Now look at him.

He’s on 7 prem goals (same as Rashford now) this year so should hit 10 by the end of the year. Going from 10 to 15 should be doable in HOPEFULLY a better functioning side next year.

I’m with you though, if we get a sniff of interest from PSG we should be doing what we can to get some decent cash for him and wages off the books. Will help so much with FFP leverage too to reinvest in the squad.

Hammondo

I think Garnacho can make that step. He’s progressed tremendously this year from solely being an impact player to impacting a full 90. Remember in pre-season or at the start of the season when he’d start but look completely off the pace and lost. Now look at him.

He’s on 7 prem goals (same as Rashford now) this year so should hit 10 by the end of the year. Going from 10 to 15 should be doable in HOPEFULLY a better functioning side next year.

I’m with you though, if we get a sniff of interest from PSG we should be doing what we can to get some decent cash for him and wages off the books. Will help so much with FFP leverage too to reinvest in the squad.
I hate how we judge players on goals, I do not care how many he gets as long as he plays well.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Ive no idea what they were trying to say. Yes everything is fine for the first 15 seconds, and at that point its absolutely blatant that he needs to put pressure on. Its as apalling as it looks in the initial clip
It wasn't clear to me either. Pressing isn't running around like a mad man, you can do it effectively by getting to someone quickly. Ambling around and claiming you're cutting off passing lanes is Sunday league shit.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I hate how we judge players on goals, I do not care how many he gets as long as he plays well.
He’s a fecking forward. I don’t believe in judging ‘players’ on goals, but you have to use them to judge goalscorers! If your goalscorers don’t score enough goals, you won’t win enough games. Ours don’t, and we don’t.

Hammondo

He’s a fecking forward. I don’t believe in judging ‘players’ on goals, but you have to use them to judge goalscorers! If your goalscorers don’t score enough goals, you won’t win enough games. Ours don’t, and we don’t.
All that matters is how many goals the team scores, how many goals an individual scores is not an accurate indication of his effect on this.

Mike Smalling

All that matters is how many goals the team scores, how many goals an individual scores is not an accurate indication of his effect on this.
He's also pretty low on lists of assists and chances created. Surely these stats in combination with goals scored, is a pretty good indicator that he hasn't been doing a good job as a forward this season?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
A team scores its goals by its individuals scoring them.

Hammondo

A team scores its goals by its individuals scoring them.
But an individual scoring goals doesn't mean that his overall affect towards is positive, just as a player who doesn't score can have a much bigger positive affect towards the team scoring than someone who does score.

Hammondo

He's also pretty low on lists of assists and chances created. Surely these stats in combination with goals scored, is a pretty good indicator that he hasn't been doing a good job as a forward this season?
Yea, he can be the type of player that if he doesn't score, he's not contributing much.

daba

We all judged Rashford for playing amazing last year because… wait for it… he scored a lot of goals. He wasn’t running more or pressing more effectively than he is this season in my opinion, he was just making better attacking decisions to get in better positions to score, whilst also being more clinical. This season he hasn’t scored anywhere near the same amount of GOALS, and rightly so, his performances have been seriously questioned as a result as that is what he offers to the team, goals.

He is meant to be one of main goal scorers in the team alongside Højlund, so yes, if we are HYPOTHETICALLY talking about selling Rashford and looking for Garnacho to replace his role as one of the main goal scorers in the side, then yes, there would be an expectation for Garnacho to continue his progression, step up and aim to score 15 prem goals. I’m almost certain he will st himself that target next year anyway, he just seems like that type of lad.

I get the overall sentiment that the team scoring, performing and getting results is the most important thing, of course it is. But we’re talking about an individual here and for me Garnacho is looking like more of a goal scoring wide player than a more creative wide player like a Grealish or Doku, whose focus is not all about goals or even assists necessarily. My hope is he develops his game to do a bit of both, like a Saka type forward. That’s the ideal type of forward considering we have a pure no. 9 now in Hojlund who also needs feeding.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
But an individual scoring goals doesn't mean that his overall affect towards is positive, just as a player who doesn't score can have a much bigger positive affect towards the team scoring than someone who does score.
A player can’t have a positive affect towards the team scoring if nobody actually scores.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yes of course, but we are not talking about no one on the team scoring.
What we are talking about is the difference between a team that scores enough goals and a team that doesn’t. And a team without players who can post good numbers individually will mot score enough goals. So the idea of dismissing goalscoring as a meaningful metric, especially for strikers, is bizzare.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yea, but for example firmino didn't get many goals or assists. He was amazing.
Which was acceptable because the guys next to him scored loads and loads. Rashford is not the Firmino in the team, he’s the one who’s supposed to score 20+ goals. His failure to do that this season is a large part of why we are where we are. We have a lack of points because we scored a lack of goals to earn those points. If Rashford is to leave, I would like to think the idea is for someone to come in and hopefully score those goals. There is no point adding a Firmino if there is no Salah or Mané for him to create for.

Hammondo

Which was acceptable because the guys next to him scored loads and loads. Rashford is not the Firmino in the team, he’s the one who’s supposed to score 20+ goals. His failure to do that this season is a large part of why we are where we are. We have a lack of points because we scored a lack of goals to earn those points. If Rashford is to leave, I would like to think the idea is for someone to come in and hopefully score those goals. There is no point adding a Firmino if there is no Salah or Mané for him to create for.
We were talking about Garnacho btw, and I wasn't making a specific comment about either player, just in general. Yes we need more goals, but a players effect on that is not necessarily down to his own personal goal amount.

Hammondo

But, he consistently does neither.
Btw this chat was originally about Garnacho, and yes I think Rashford even when scoring is more often a negative for our goal scoring overall. I think it would not be that difficult to find a wide player who scored less than Rashford did last season, but help us score more overall.

Hammondo

What we are talking about is the difference between a team that scores enough goals and a team that doesn’t. And a team without players who can post good numbers individually will mot score enough goals. So the idea of dismissing goalscoring as a meaningful metric, especially for strikers, is bizzare.
It is not bizzare, and hes not a striker.