Mario Jardel - What happened?

TheReligion

Abusive
So some of you may only remember his awful and rather short spell in the Premier League at Big Sam's intriguing Bolton side.

Between 1995 and 2003 though these were his goalscoring figures. Surely some of the very best seen in world football all be it not in the very top leagues. He was clearly very talented though and had all the attributes to succeed so where did it go so badly wrong and why aren't we talking about him as one of the best Brazilian forwards to play the game and in his prime why did no one bring him to one of the top leagues?

He scored;

56 in 93 at Gremio
170 in 175 at Porto
34 in 43 at Galatasary
67 in 62 at Sporting

He then dropped off a cliff...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He dropped off a cliff

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
This Cliff fellow sounds like a knobhead.

LARulz

Took drugs and then fell off a cliff

But in all seriousness, I spent a lot of my time growing up in Portugal during his peak and was always talked about. It baffled me how no Ody ever signed him - in any of the top 3 leagues. Was a fairly blessed time for strikers but his numbers I thought should make him top target for a lot of clubs

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I remember him getting paraded at Ibrox, he was with his Mrs & even had Rangers training gear on when he was at his real peak. Somehow the transfer never happened, think it was work permit issues. Would have loved to have seen how many goals he would have got in Scotland.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He turned 29 and as the caf knows that pretty much it for a striker.

42 league goals the season he turned 28
11 league goals the season he turned 29
0 league goals the season he turned 30.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He went through a divorce and battled depression

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Took drugs and then fell off a cliff

But in all seriousness, I spent a lot of my time growing up in Portugal during his peak and was always talked about. It baffled me how no Ody ever signed him - in any of the top 3 leagues. Was a fairly blessed time for strikers but his numbers I thought should make him top target for a lot of clubs
I only know Bill Ody, and I don't think he could afford it back then

flappyjay

His goal scoring record is crazy. Born in the wrong era. There were so many great strikers back then that guy like this can just go under the radar. Today with this shortage of strikers he would have easily made it to one of the global teams.

TheReligion

Abusive
He dropped off a cliff
He was pushed off a cliff
He got dropped by Cliff
He spent too much time focusing on paragliding.
He was dropped off by Cliff
This cliff is useless without a Youtube compilation.
He was dripped in by Cliff
An absolute cliffhanger how this thread will evolve.
He never trained at The Cliff.
This Cliff fellow sounds like a knobhead.
Michelle Duffy pushed him off a cliff
Listen to me you bunch of halfwits. If you have nothing worthwhile to contribute here then I strongly suggest you get the hell out of my thought provoking thread.

This is the football forum. We don't play games here. Heed the warning or pay the penalty. They'll be no VAR to save you.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Listen to me you bunch of halfwits. If you have nothing worthwhile to contribute here then I strongly suggest you get the hell out of my thought provoking thread.

This is the football forum. We don't play games here. Heed the warning or pay the penalty. They'll be no VAR to save you.
It's not worth getting annoyed mate go have a game of snooker or something and chill.

gif hosting

Moby

Dick

100% this. Thanks.

As for Jardel, think he ended up doing the sniff.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Never saw him play. Was he actually a good all-around footballer or did he just score a lot of goals?

bakalhau

Guy was immense, I grew up watching him every week. I still remember when he destroyed Real Madrid in the European SuperCup. He had a love affair with Ms. Cocaine too if I recall correctly.

Edit:
warning: potato quality

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak

What penalty can you give me worse than the tagine @oates and @Cheimoon got me lumbered with?! I don't even know what I did to Cheimoon!

Frank Sinatra Fan

His goal scoring record is crazy. Born in the wrong era. There were so many great strikers back then that guy like this can just go under the radar. Today with this shortage of strikers he would have easily made it to one of the global teams.
He was rarely called for Brazil NT because we were so stupidly blessed with fantastic strikers in the second half of the 90s. We had Romário and Ronaldo. And then a huge gap to everyone else, even amazing strikers such as Jardel, Edmundo, Amoroso, Túlio Maravilha and so many others.

Today, Brazil's options as strikers are Gabriel Jesus, Gabigol and Firmino...

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He was rarely called for Brazil NT because we were so stupidly blessed with fantastic strikers in the second half of the 90s. We had Romário and Ronaldo. And then a huge gap to everyone else, even amazing strikers such as Jardel, Edmundo, Amoroso, Túlio Maravilha and so many others.

Today, Brazil's options as strikers are Gabriel Jesus, Gabigol and Firmino...
I remember him playing the odd game in the 2000-01 period when Ronaldo was out for 18 months with a couple of bad injuries. Elber was probably the one who was very unlucky not to be used more, was banging them in no problem for Bayern Munich in that period.

Just 15 caps for Brazil between 1998-2001, reminds me a bit of Hasselbaink in same period who didn't feature much for Holland despite scoring loads in England and Spain.

Jardel won 10 caps in same period. Guess people see him as flat track bully but would've been interesting to see him in stronger league as pretty sure his CL record was pretty good and he scored v likes of Real Madrid regularly for Porto and Gala.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I remember him playing the odd game in the 2000-01 period when Ronaldo was out for 18 months with a couple of bad injuries. Elber was probably the one who was very unlucky not to be used more, was banging them in no problem for Bayern Munich in that period.

Just 15 caps for Brazil between 1998-2001, reminds me a bit of Hasselbaink in same period who didn't feature much for Holland despite scoring loads in England and Spain.

Jardel won 10 caps in same period. Guess people see him as flat track bully but would've been interesting to see him in stronger league as pretty sure his CL record was pretty good and he scored v likes of Real Madrid regularly for Porto and Gala.
He was regularly scoring against top teams in UCL for Porto and Galatasaray. Real, Milan, Bayern, Barcelona,... You name it he scored against them.

Here's a short interview when he returned to Sporting