Marouane Fellaini signs new contract until 2020 with option of a further year

ash_86

Will you still say the same if god forbid Pogba does his ACL first game of the season, and then suddenly we are using this guy in the first team. We had the opportunity to offload deadwood on a free, and Utd still couldnt get that right
Well if we're buying one other midfielder than I'm okay with letting him go. Looks like we've exhausted our MF budget on Fred and we'd be short if we let Fellaini go. I get it he's not technically divine, but he is a experienced midfielder that can help us close out games. If something had to had to Pogba, we'd have Herrera play before Fellaini gets his chance.

Last edited by a moderator:

FireballXL5

So, the long awaited clear out begins with a new contract for Fellaini. Jesus wept.

Mindhunter

The academy midfielders must be speed dialling their agents right now. I like what he brings to the table, but would have very much liked a young and hungrier player been given the opportunity to prove himself.

Experience isn't everything, as proved by the German NT recently. We want young blood to be on the fringes to keep the standards high. A slip from established players would be their opportunity to come and and demonstrate their passion, energy, and willingness to prove themselves.

Instead, we have overpaid players as backups to overpaid players so there isn't any incentive to actually give it everything. Feels like the whole DNA of the club has changed.

fallengt

He didn't mention the fans in his tweet, haha.
Understandable but still, imagine being this unpopular but still want to stay. Money is a huge factor I guess and also no one wanted our "secret weapon".

MUFC OK

We are a disgrace for this, he will run this two year contract down to the wire yet again, absolute shambles :mad:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He didn't mention the fans in his tweet, haha.
Understandable but still, imagine being this unpopular but still want to stay. Money is a huge factor I guess and also no one wanted our "secret weapon".
Why would he mention the fans though? He's the only United player I can remember in recent memory who's actually been booed.

DocRockter

This decision makes me very happy. Now get behind the club and it's servants or GTFO,,

Nori-

I've been saying it for years, Fellaini is like a dark cloud hovering over our club.

He was one of the first signings post Fergie era and represents everything that is awful with our current style of play.

This was the moment he was supposed to leave, we changed the way we approached games and the sun finally broke through the clouds.

Instead, one of the worst players I've seen in a United shirt in a long time has held us ransom and shown the footballing world where we stand in terms of being a European giant again.

To say I'm fuming is a understatement. F*** *** out of our club Fellaini, you're not welcome!!

MUFC OK

So, the long awaited clear out begins with a new contract for Fellaini. Jesus wept.
The clear out has been awaited for 5 years, yet we will enter the new season with the likes of this clown, blind, darmian, jones, shaw, rojo all part of the first team squad.

Any talk of a second midfield signing can be forgotten, Jose said it was 2 mids IF Fellaini was leaving, we are in a barron period and there's no sign of it ending..

Jojo <3 Mou

I am not bothered by Fellaini's extension. For us to improve or otherwise is not hinged on Fellaini. We can still move forward as a team and a club with Fellaini.

Wishing him all the best! Will continue to celebrate him as long as he remains a United player.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Romez

Disappointing as this means we probably won't sign another midfielder.

Such an average player.

The dude is actually a really good target man, he's just not a midfielder. Seriously, think of the attributes you envision a good midfielder to have and he doesn't have any. Composure on the ball, passing ability, passing vision, tackling, dribbling.

If we're trying to get to the top level he's not the type of player you have in your squad. You couldn't imagine him playing for Madrid, City, Barca or Bayern next to Modric, Kroos, Silva, KDB, Iniesta, Busquets, Vidal or Thiago.

Reactions: golden_blunder

reddaz71

Cannot blame the player for looking for the best deal for himself,however you can blame the people behind awarding him an extension namely the pragmatic,archaic, dark ages manager and a still bungling CEO who clearly hasnt learnt any lessons from the past!

IAmAWinner

I'm honestly fine with him staying. He won't be a starter with Pogba, Matic and Fred in the midfield, but he's a decent squad player. He has not been a lot worse than Herrera during their time together here yet one is loved by everyone and the other is probably the most hated player ever to wear the shirt.

Son Of Sam

I am so glad Fellaini is staying. He’s a wonderful asset to have as plan B. If the plan A players do their jobs within 75 mins, we won’t have to use Marouane.

The onus is on Lukaku, Rashford, Lingard, Martial and Sanchez to win games convincingly before the 80th minute. If they fail to score then Jose must turn to his ace on the bench - Fellaini.

This is good news...

settembrini

Can't wait for a brand new season of watching Young and Valencia cross to Fellaini.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Happy enough with the news. He will be a bit part player at United and a 2nd option in attack. I’m not being funny but Fellaini is the type of player to go to another club and come back to haunt us in the form of the league or championship league. If he left I could see him being the reason we get knocked out in a competition. He’s not everyone’s cup of tea but has in the past come up with some very important goals. Fans seem to forget this.

reddaz71

This is an embarrassing moment for the club when every opposing fan of other clubs are celebrating Utd signing a player,shocking from Mourinho and Woodward to not grasp what Utd as a football club is all about!

haram

Pogba Fred Matic
Fellaini Herrera McTominay

What are people crying about? It’s getting ridiculous.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I don't like the personal abuse he's getting on twitter, but what a disappointing decision by the club. Especially after his post-season antics.

lococol

I am so glad Fellaini is staying. He’s a wonderful asset to have as plan B. If the plan A players do their jobs within 75 mins, we won’t have to use Marouane.

The onus is on Lukaku, Rashford, Lingard, Martial and Sanchez to win games convincingly before the 80th minute. If they fail to score then Jose must turn to his ace on the bench - Fellaini.

This is good news...
Totally agree. He has saved our ass too many times to mention. Haters can jog.

Snafu17

Why would he mention the fans though? He's the only United player I can remember in recent memory who's actually been booed.
There was Nani.

Anyway Pogba, Herrera, Matić, Fred, Fellaini, McTominay and possibly Pereira seems like a decent, fairly varied selection of midfield players. Makes sense if we are moving to aa midfiel of 3 on more regular basis.

Son Of Sam

This is an embarrassing moment for the club when every opposing fan of other clubs are celebrating Utd signing a player,shocking from Mourinho and Woodward to not grasp what Utd as a football club is all about!
Fellaini averaged 0.57 goals per 90 minutes in the Premier League in 2017/18.

Fellaini has the best rate of any centre-midfielder to play at least 500 minutes in the league last season.

Considering he was mostly used as a sub - it means he’s the best impact sub in the entire league last season.

How is this an embarrassment?

PepsiCola

Will not challenge for the league with Fellaini in the squad.

He's a lame plan B and the issue is compounded when he starts games like Seville in the CL.

We desperately need quality in depth. Instead we're stuck carrying this chocolate teapot.

But praise be to Mourinho for clearing deadwood.... or something

lococol

The way he's disrespected the club I believe..
Like Ronaldo does everytime he wants a pay rise. Fellaini is solid and loyal, no ego either. Im not comparing their skillset as this is not a debate. Just loyalty.

Son Of Sam

The way he's disrespected the club I believe..
Rooney disrespected the club twice and there was little or no criticism. I don’t understand why anyone would hate Fellaini.

He has bailed us out from sticky spots too many times to count.