Martial as our 9

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Thought he looked really promising for us there tonight, really does seem like the full package. He's that rare combination of being able to hold the ball up and playing as a target man whilst also having the pace to run in behind.

I'd like to see him start more games as the focal point of our attack. What say you?

Raw

I'd love to see him start more games. Very exciting talent and he looks physically able to handle most defenders.

Thing is, Rooney's never getting dropped. So that would mean Rooney as the #10 and Herrera getting dropped (unless he plays in CM).

Shurou

Early days, but he didn't do much wrong tonight, if not brilliant.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
LVG seems as unsure of our best forward options as the rest of us, so I can see Rooney being tried as the #10 with Martial up top. Mata and/or Herrera dropped.

acnumber9

I wa impressed with how comfortable he seemed at holding off the centre back and receiving the ball with his back to goal. He was quite clumsy at times when trying to dribble but it's no surprise at 19.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Imagine a striker bringing others into play and running the channels :drool:

Sylar

Honestly we need Rooney back ASAP.

Not because I think Martial was crap (he wasnt, thought he was really good) but because we need to be able to rotate him / rest him and not burn him out.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
He showed a lot of inexperience, but he also show a lot of quality. Very happy with him so far. We could have an awesome player on our hands. Loved that one-two with Memphis.

Bwuk

Yeah he should be. Pace and good hold up play. Can beat a man too. Nearly put Memphis through early on (probably should of tbh).

C'est Moi Cantona

Thought he looked really promising for us there tonight, really does seem like the full package. He's that rare combination of being able to hold the ball up and playing as a target man whilst also having the pace to run in behind.

I'd like to see him start more games as the focal point of our attack. What say you?
I say we have very little option now, Fellaini is not a striker, Mata has to play on the right wing, and I'm not convinced LvG really fancies Herrera for the number 10 position, so this leaves Rooney to play in behind Martial.

I suspect we might start with Herrera in behind Rooney, but it won't be long before the above happens imo, just hope Martial is ready.

Zoo

I think Rooney will enjoy playing in behind him and they'll do well together. Hope Van Gaal tries it ASAP.

Judas

Open to offers
Hopefully we'll see something like we did when Rooney and Welbeck were linking up brilliantly and showing they could be a great longterm partnership.

Manny

Grammar Police
Great combination of hold up play and the ability to turn around and run at defenders.

I was worried about his finishing and his intelligence before he came but he's impressed on both points in the last two games.

The White Pele

I think he's the kind of striker that Rooney could play well with. He creates space by drifting wide and is also a threat in behind. Add Memphis to the mix aswell and it could be very exciting to watch.

ManUArfa

Needs to be able to take balls in the air as well as he can to feet. There were several occasions where he should have done that but didn't seem to be able to head the ball. BPL is a bit different to the French League 1. Other than that I thought he was excellent. A rough diamond as Michael Owen called it.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I thought his link-up play with Memphis was incredibly good given how little they have practiced together so far. It was that energetic and creative spark we've been missing for a while.

JackXX

Was impressed with him he showed a great level of maturity up front on his own. Still think he needs to be used wisely at a young age especially in the league.

Walters_19_MuFc

Really like the look of him. He's got more or less everything. What really impresses me is his ability to hold up the ball and bring others into play, which we saw a bit of tonight. Just a bit disappointed we didn't fizz it into him a bit more. Think that's where we missed Carrick. Happy with his performance though, and hope to see him start against Southampton.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Biggest positive for me today.
Almost the only positive, but he looks good.

ChaddyP

looked decent. But im not sure if its because everyone else has been shit in that posistion. or if its cuz hes the real deal

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
Really good to see some positive reactions about the lad. Thought he did well, held the ball up and gave us pace up top. Shame he didn't cap a very good performance with a goal but I think that's one thing we will have to be patient with. Thought his link up with Memphis was really good though! And if they can link up in the league then we may start to see the best from both.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He will be a top player. i have seen enough to believe that. Has everything. no weakness in his game.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
We've missed a forward who can play with his back to goal like that since RvP's first season. If he can play like that regularly, then I have such high hopes for this fella. He's justifying his value bit by bit in a very positive way right now.

Rezyuz

same as Memphis.

+ Huge talent
+ Fantastic dribble/pace at times
+ Can beat his opponent

- Doesn't know when to not have a go and just pass
- Takes to long to make a decision
- Unfocused passes/unnecessarily ball loss

Aka hes young, has flaws and will lose the annoyance over the years (and hopefully months).

dogwithabone

At last a proper number 9 who doesn't stray out of position looking for the ball. He had a few heavy touches but all in all he looks the real deal. I like his positivity too when he receives the ball in a bit of space, his instinct is to turn, face the goal and get defenders on the back foot.

Ok, he lost it a few times doing so but it's just so refreshing to see a centre forward actually prepared to take on defences 20-25 yards out. Like what I see with Martial and would choose him over Rooney. He reminds me a bit of Harry Kane.

predator

Youth NITK
Can't fault him considering he is only 19. From what I've seen at united he has very good attributes. We need to be patient though as he is just so young.
Hopefully lvg keeps playing him and he will grow to what he is capable of.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's going to be so so good for us, along with Memphis. You can tell they already had a good understanding. Almost forgot what it was like having a proper #9, who knows how to hold the ball up but also make runs in behind. Our best #9 already IMO (or only proper one really). Rooney behind him, Memphis on the left has the makings of a great side. The only question is who will play on the right, and that's between mata, Herrera and Young so far I think. No cover at all though for those positions.

Kakeru

He holds up the play and always gives defenders something to think about. I have no issues with that.

The only think we need is other teammates to make runs that can be both crucial and complimentary to Martial's ability to hold up the play.

Gerald G

I thought he was really good tonight and his link up play with Memphis was encouraging. When Rooney gets back put him in behind Martial.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He needs to better in the air, he was dominated by the centerbacks in aerial duels.

Cypriot

Was really impressed with his hold up play. It's a shame he wasn't put through on often enough to really see his pace, but he did well with what he was given!