Mary Earps | wins BBC women's footballer of the year

brian017

Best GK in the world but doesn’t make the World XI team, bizarre. Explain that one FIFA?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Best GK in the world but doesn’t make the World XI team, bizarre. Explain that one FIFA?
The XI was voted by players, the individual awards by national teams’ coaches & captains, women’s football journalists and fans.

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Mary's speech tonight.
“Thank you to everyone who voted for me,” says Earps. “Thank you so much to my loved ones, for peeling me off the kitchen floor – not tonight, but a few years ago … to all my teammates, the coaching staff at England and Man Utd … thank you Sarina [Wiegman] … for believing me in the way you have. Anyone who’s been in a dark place, keep going, know there’s light at the end of the tunnel … be unapologetically yourself.”

She's talked about the lowpoints of her club and country career before and how close she came to quiting the game completely.

Eric_the_Red99

The XI was voted by players, the individual awards by national teams’ coaches & captains, women’s football journalists and fans.
I was trying to figure this out myself. I generally never pay much attention to individual awards in football - it’s mostly nonsense if you ask me.

But this seems particularly weird to have two awards for ‘best goalkeeper’ at the same ceremony - do they have a shootout or arm wrestle or something to decide the overall winner at the end of the night? If it comes down to a fight I don‘t fancy Mearps’ chances, that Chilean girl is huge.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The player of the year and goalkeeper of the year awards are FIFAs. The FIFA technical team prepare a shortlist. The people who then vote are the national team coaches, national team captains, international journalists and there's an online fan vote - 25% of the final weighting in the vote comes from each group.

The team of the year is chosen by a vote of FIFpro members. I think they just know Endler - World Cup regular with Chile and multiple CL winner with Lyon - better than they know Earps. They'll only have heard of Earps from the Euros.

Big Andy

Bloke
Mary's speech tonight.
“Thank you to everyone who voted for me,” says Earps. “Thank you so much to my loved ones, for peeling me off the kitchen floor – not tonight, but a few years ago … to all my teammates, the coaching staff at England and Man Utd … thank you Sarina [Wiegman] … for believing me in the way you have. Anyone who’s been in a dark place, keep going, know there’s light at the end of the tunnel … be unapologetically yourself.”

She's talked about the lowpoints of her club and country career before and how close she came to quiting the game completely.
At least she knows her place ;)

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with

Hers is bigger than his. Erm...

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
A very rare mistake from Earps today, but she also made a save not many keepers in women’s football are able to pull off. Too bad there’s no more angles or slow-mo in the clip as it looked even more spectacular from behind the goal.

Oranges038

A very rare mistake from Earps today, but she also made a save not many keepers in women’s football are able to pull off. Too bad there’s no more angles or slow-mo in the clip as it looked even more spectacular from behind the goal.

It's like that one Barthez made from Hamann all those years ago.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Mary is so good in front of the camera. Very confident and been making some great points

edgecutter

Mary is so good in front of the camera. Very confident and been making some great points
It's not hard when you have JFH and rednapp beside you.

That said I think she should be on tv more than some of the clowns they put on.

Dan_F

She looks really nervous for about a second every time they cut back from a break. You can tell the director has counted them down or something. Then she snaps out of it and speaks really confidently. Definitely one of the better female player pundits I’ve heard.

Manncunian

Yep great pundit tonight. Pity we still have dinosaurs in the fanbase though….Apparently shouldn’t be representing United because she’s a woman and we shouldn’t be watching women’s football.

Sorry I didnt realise I was was going to have a barney with the equality brigade.
No I didnt know who she was because I dont watch womens football.
We would be as well getting Slabheads wife on for the relevance it is to this game.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
She looks really nervous for about a second every time they cut back from a break. You can tell the director has counted them down or something. Then she snaps out of it and speaks really confidently. Definitely one of the better female player pundits I’ve heard.
She was very nervous when ETH was there. Did not speak a word

Woziak

Our womens team just give me such great joy, they’ve being going less than half a decade, with solid investment and infrastructure they will dominate the ladies game.

spiriticon

I love her. What a goalie and it's really nice to see her have a great friendship with De Gea

Woziak

I know De Gea does, they seem to get on well! ETH didn’t really acknowledge her, that’s all.
ETH did say the woman’s team youth team abs mens team all must achieve excellence so he gets it