Mason Greenwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Im getting tired of waiting for his senior debut. The lad is a stand out in the academy and deserves a chance like Gomes and Ching have had recently

Lukkaku is poor at the moment and Mata is not an attacking wide player, so there is a spot on the bench for Greenwood to get a chance. If he does not perform then fine (but we won't know he is not ready until he gets a game), send him back to the reserves. But in the spirit of 'everyone deserves a chance', I'm scratching my head as to why he has not been given his.
You better rage quit the Caf then!

Trizy

Yeah I definitely don't wanna see him loaned out only for the loan club's manager to get sacked a month later and the new one decide he doesn't fancy him. Chong I think would benefit from a loan more than Greenwood, the latter looks to special to risk something like that happening.

Is there such a thing as being naturally two-footed? I didn't think so but seeing this lad play makes me wonder
Yup, it's very, very rare though. I can't think of any of the GOATs being equally as good with both feet.

Dembele at Barcelona is similar. He shoots with his right but takes penalties on his left (or visa versa). Apart from him I can't think of anyone in recent years.

Bola

Because the entire coaching staff who are professionals watch him every single day and are better positioned to identify when is the best time to promote him.

Then of course you have the opinion of a bunch of people on social media who aren't professionals and don't see him everyday who think they know better.

Work that one out!
So no specific reason for why he shouldn't be promoted? Great stuff

Bola

He just literally gave the reason in that post? :confused:
An assumption that the coaching staff don't think he is ready?

Was hoping for something more specific (e.g. bad stamina, not mentally resilient yet, concerns about physical to robustness). Apologies if I'm coming off pedantic, but ive not seen much on the forums as to specifuc reasons why he hasn't been promoted other than the 'age thing'.

From my viewpoint he has been tearing it up in the academy, while United have shown there is a depth of quality in the 1st over the last two months (e.g. Lukkaku, Mata not functioning on the right, Sanchez intermittently injured), so I'm just scratching my head why.

I am impatient as do get a lot of joy when youngsters at United make it (Rashford again scoring today was a huge boost) and with this lad not only having potential, but consistently showing it in the games he plays, I just want him to get a deserved chance. Particularly as his peers have recently (Chong and Gomes)

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Was hoping for something more specific (e.g. bad stamina, not mentally resilient yet, concerns about physical to robustness). Apologies if I'm coming off pedantic, but ive not seen much on the forums as to specifuc reasons why he hasn't been promoted other than the 'age thing'.

From my viewpoint he has been tearing it up in the academy, while United have shown there is a depth of quality in the 1st over the last two months (e.g. Lukkaku, Mata not functioning on the right, Sanchez intermittently injured), so I'm just scratching my head why.

I am impatient as do get a lot of joy when youngsters at United make it (Rashford again scoring today was a huge boost) and with this lad not only having potential, but consistently showing it in the games he plays, I just want him to get a deserved chance. Particularly as his peers have recently (Chong and Gomes)
Nah, for sure Bola. I think we all want the lad to succeed due to his youth/Manchester links etc.

But then us fans would probably be the first to turn on him if he was struggling. We’re flying atm, so there’s no reason to put that much pressure on him - especially not in the league.

The step up is huge. I’m not going to lie, I haven’t seen much of Greenwood outside of highlights posted on here as I don’t watch the Youth teams. He seems almightily talented. No doubt. But we’ve seen players similarly rated not make it (Wilson, Morrison) for whatever reason.

From the very little I have seen - he’s not blessed with Rashford pace (who is?) and he’s still relatively “skinny”. Maybe maturing physically is also a reason? Fact is, we don’t know and he seems to be in and around the first team squad anyway.

Eire Red United

I thought he was down for starting against Reading but got injured?

worldinmotion66

He's better than Rashford was at that level, I think he's ready and he's just unlucky at this moment. If Lukaku or Rashford were to get an injury I think he'd be a more realistic option for us.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Have you seen him play? Well above academy level
I've seen him play loads of times, I also know fans will get on his back and start calling him overrated the minute he doesn't perform well like what happened with Rashford.

In Rainbows

I've seen him play loads of times, I also know fans will get on his back and start calling him overrated the minute he doesn't perform well like what happened with Rashford.
That won't change even if he debuts at age 18, 19, or 20.

izec

He wont play for the first team as of yet, because he isnt needed and it is too early. Give him another year or two to develop physically

JohnnyKills

He should only play if he's better than what we have in the first team at the moment. There's no point sticking him in for the sake of it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's a exceptional young talent and i'm sure we'll see him make his first team debut before long.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
How will we accommodate him and Rashford in the same team, not to mention Lukaku as well? Assuming he is as good as people say.

Could play a 4-4-2. Doubt Rashford will be shifted out to the wings and even if he is, Lukaku would then expect to play up top.

I would say we would have to sell a forward before Mason gets his chance.

Thiagoal

How will we accommodate him and Rashford in the same team, not to mention Lukaku as well? Assuming he is as good as people say.

Could play a 4-4-2. Doubt Rashford will be shifted out to the wings and even if he is, Lukaku would then expect to play up top.

I would say we would have to sell a forward before Mason gets his chance.
Due to him being ridiculously ambidextrous and with such a rounded skill set/ technique, he can literally play anywhere across the front three or even as a number 10; so will be loads of opportunities when the time is right!

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
There’s a need for him and Gomes imo in the squad as we are running on fumes at the moment and need fresh young legs on as subs.

In Rainbows

There’s a need for him and Gomes imo in the squad as we are running on fumes at the moment and need fresh young legs on as subs.
Now we're talking. Greenwood as the attacker and Gomes as the midfielder. :drool:

marktan

I think the limited bench spaces vs Italy is actually a really bad thing, would be great to have more options on the bench. As it is we need to accomodate Lukaku and Sanches first so we never have any space for youngsters on the bench, who during a game we might actually want to bring on.

Bola

Those fans would be idiots

DBT85

He should only play if he's better than what we have in the first team at the moment. There's no point sticking him in for the sake of it.
IIRC he only signed a 3 year contract. That in part is a little nudge to say "I want to do more than just be promised minutes"
I think the limited bench spaces vs Italy is actually a really bad thing, would be great to have more options on the bench. As it is we need to accomodate Lukaku and Sanches first so we never have any space for youngsters on the bench, who during a game we might actually want to bring on.
I came up with an idea ages ago. Make it a 9 man bench, but 2 of those have to be under a set age and under a set amount of senior appearances. So lets say under 20 years old from the date the season starts and under 15 senior appearances. Those two players can then be subbed on for free in the last 30 mins of a game, even if you've already used your 3 proper subs. Give managers a reason to actually use more youth players who are just stagnating.

Bola

Nah, for sure Bola. I think we all want the lad to succeed due to his youth/Manchester links etc.

But then us fans would probably be the first to turn on him if he was struggling. We’re flying atm, so there’s no reason to put that much pressure on him - especially not in the league.

The step up is huge. I’m not going to lie, I haven’t seen much of Greenwood outside of highlights posted on here as I don’t watch the Youth teams. He seems almightily talented. No doubt. But we’ve seen players similarly rated not make it (Wilson, Morrison) for whatever reason.

From the very little I have seen - he’s not blessed with Rashford pace (who is?) and he’s still relatively “skinny”. Maybe maturing physically is also a reason? Fact is, we don’t know and he seems to be in and around the first team squad anyway.
Being called up to the winter training camp was very positive. The other 3 (Gomes, Chong and Garner) have either got minutes or at least made the bench, with Garner likely to have got mins v Reading were it not for the Sanchez injury.

Fingers crossed that Greenwood, or at least another 'new' academy product makes the matchday squad v Burnley in a 1.5 weeks. Although, OGS may want to think about something different off the bench for Friday's Arsenal game. They will know what they will be up against with Mata or Lukkaku and Greenwood could offer something different

bdecuc

Always a possibility the coaches will reckon a debut soon would be good for him. However other than that I'd let him acclimatise to the u23s for a few months along with hopefully a run in the youth cup and the youth champions league. He's 17 afterall. I don't see the rush. If people want to watch him they can watch the u23s etc.

SAFMUTD

There’s no need to rush him, he is just having his first season in the u23s. Lets wait until next season to give him his debut and another one so he can be a regular squad member.

Currently we have Sanchez and Lukaku ahead of him in the picking order, as much of a prodigy he is I don't think he is currently able to play better than them.

DBT85

Not playing him just because he's only this or only that is not a good enough reason.

While there is no need to rush anything, if he's good enough....

I came up with an idea ages ago. Make it a 9 man bench, but 2 of those have to be under a set age and under a set amount of senior appearances. So lets say under 20 years old from the date the season starts and under 15 senior appearances. Those two players can then be subbed on for free in the last 30 mins of a game, even if you've already used your 3 proper subs. Give managers a reason to actually use more youth players who are just stagnating.
Some sort of variant of that idea could be really good.

I certainly like the idea of an increased bench but only if the players are U21 or whatever age - it forces teams to have youth players in the match day squad. Like it.

Not sure about the subs though, just that if each team makes 5 subs, it could really disrupt the game too much.

DBT85

Some sort of variant of that idea could be really good.

I certainly like the idea of an increased bench but only if the players are U21 or whatever age - it forces teams to have youth players in the match day squad. Like it.

Not sure about the subs though, just that if each team makes 5 subs, it could really disrupt the game too much.
Got to have some way of basically making it a no brainer to use them otherwise teams aren't going to use them instead of an experienced player.

We have stoppages all the time, adding 4 more is nothing. Just do it during one of the many VAR pauses ;)

Not that it'll ever happen anyway.

Got to have some way of basically making it a no brainer to use them otherwise teams aren't going to use them instead of an experienced player.

We have stoppages all the time, adding 4 more is nothing. Just do it during one of the many VAR pauses ;)

Not that it'll ever happen anyway.
I certainly think something has to be done. It wasn’t so much the actual time it takes for subs to come on, more that having too many subs coming on the pitch wouldn’t necessarily be good. Could be a bit like the last half hour of international friendlies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
There’s no need to rush him, he is just having his first season in the u23s. Lets wait until next season to give him his debut and another one so he can be a regular squad member.

Currently we have Sanchez and Lukaku ahead of him in the picking order, as much of a prodigy he is I don't think he is currently able to play better than them.
He's not even really with the u23s yet, he's played 2 games for them, every other game has been for the u18s/u19s.

In Rainbows

He's not even really with the u23s yet, he's played 2 games for them, every other game has been for the u18s/u19s.
There's 3 things to this. One, many people don't want him under Sbragia. Two, people think he should play with the u18s for the FA youth cup. Three, Rashford didn't really play for the u23s and had an instant impact even though context was different.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
There's 3 things to this. One, many people don't want him under Sbragia. Two, people think he should play with the u18s for the FA youth cup. Three, Rashford didn't really play for the u23s and had an instant impact even though context was different.
I know, I'm just telling the guy that he isn't an u23 player yet.

L1nk

It's certainly an interesting dilemma when we have Marcus Rashford at 21, Mason Greenwood at 17 and Lukaku at 25, certainly when Lukaku is 29 i don't expect him to be leading the line for us, or possibly not even here. But unless we played 2 upfront, we'd have to try and accommodate, it's a great dilemma to have of course.

In Rainbows

It's certainly an interesting dilemma when we have Marcus Rashford at 21, Mason Greenwood at 17 and Lukaku at 25, certainly when Lukaku is 29 i don't expect him to be leading the line for us, or possibly not even here. But unless we played 2 upfront, we'd have to try and accommodate, it's a great dilemma to have of course.
Many of us envision an attack that has all 3 players comfortably interchanging flanks and all capable of playing as the central forward. Many of us think Greenwood is the final piece to our front line. Greenwood like Martial and Rashford, thus he can dribble, finish, link up, etc...

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He has a left foot, scores goals and we need a right winger. I think he can cause havoc in our current setup no matter where he is played but the right wing is sort of open for experimentation. I hope he gets a few minutes soon.

Bola

He has a left foot, scores goals and we need a right winger. I think he can cause havoc in our current setup no matter where he is played but the right wing is sort of open for experimentation. I hope he gets a few minutes soon.
Many of us envision an attack that has all 3 players comfortably interchanging flanks and all capable of playing as the central forward. Many of us think Greenwood is the final piece to our front line. Greenwood like Martial and Rashford, thus he can dribble, finish, link up, etc...
Lots of good reasons to play and all I'm seeing in response on this board is generic and lazy reasons like 'he's too young' or ' the coaches don't think he is ready'.

I'd be very dispointted if he does not get some sort of role in the next 3 games, especially after the reports from yesterday's match when Lingard was again inconsistent (I.e. he has not nailed down his place like Martial and Rashford has)

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Lots of good reasons to play and all I'm seeing in response on this board is generic and lazy reasons like 'he's too young' or ' the coaches don't think he is ready'.

I'd be very dispointted if he does not get some sort of role in the next 3 games, especially after the reports from yesterday's match when Lingard was again inconsistent (I.e. he has not nailed down his place like Martial and Rashford has)
What were you expecting, out of interest? That people would have detailed inside knowledge of why he hadn't yet been granted a debut at the grand old age of 17 and 3 months? Gomes is 18 and has had 3 very brief cameos at the end of dead rubbers, Chong has just got his first of those at the age of 19, Rashford was a year older than Greenwood is now when he got his chance (which itself was accelerated due to injuries). Harry Kane at the same age was being sent to League One Leyton Orient.

Most of us on this board are looking forward to seeing him in the first team but are willing to trust Solskjaer and his former manager in the u18s to decide when the time is right for that.

Bola

What were you expecting, out of interest? That people would have detailed inside knowledge of why he hadn't yet been granted a debut at the grand old age of 17 and 3 months? Gomes is 18 and has had 3 very brief cameos at the end of dead rubbers, Chong has just got his first of those at the age of 19, Rashford was a year older than Greenwood is now when he got his chance (which itself was accelerated due to injuries). Harry Kane at the same age was being sent to League One Leyton Orient.

Most of us on this board are looking forward to seeing him in the first team but are willing to trust Solskjaer and his former manager in the u18s to decide when the time is right for that.
I think i ppsted am answer earlier on this thread. I was after a specific reasons other than what I consider cliches of 'he's too young' - e.g. his tactical awareness is not there yet, his stamina is currently suspect.

Without getting too SJW, many of the reasons I'm seeing for not playing him relate to his age. If we were to magically alter his birth certificate to make him 3 years older (but exactly the same man he is today), then practically everyone would be calling from him to start. It's a similar scenario of writing off older players, rather than trying to look at their specific condition (e.g. a mid 30s Ronaldo and Ibra are/ were more reliable than decade younger Sturridge or Jones)

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the regieme and hope OGS gets the job permenantly, but no one is infallible. I think the coaching staff are making a mistake by not giving Greenwood his chance. Fully appreciate the points that as fans we only see snapshots of a player, but purely going off performances of Greenwood and his peers for the attacking positions (the statue like Lukaku, an attacking right Mata, injured Sanchez, inconsistent Lingard), im scratching my head as to why he hasnt been given even 20mins to show what he can do. Surely he deserves some form of chance and if it's proven he isn't ready, then he can go back to the reverse and develop there.

Status
Not open for further replies.