Mason Mount's Misfortune

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I'd say that was FDJ, or Kane.

The board got the easiest target, might be more accurate.
Must be super easy getting an academy talent, a key player with over 100 premier league appearances directly from a rival at a decent price.

So easy.

romufc

That's just a pure mouthpiece by the club. Let's be honest, we overpaid relative to what our initial offer was, and he's coming here because we're giving him a mammoth contract that Chelsea wouldn't.

I hope he's as good as Chelsea fans think he is and not the player I've seen on loads of occasions who has always looked a bit meh.
Erm, yes mouthpiece.... It was reported that Chelsea wanted 70-80m for Mount. We offered 50+5 and didnt want to go over it...

To get the deal done, we gave them 55 + 5 to make it 60m, the 5m which is widely reported as being difficult to achieve but obviously fans will always criticise.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Everyone lost their shit about wages, this is from Laurie Whitwell

He is set to be paid more than £200,000 per week, potentially rising to at least £250,000 per week with bonuses — in the same ballpark as the deal Chelsea had originally offered, as well as a rival proposal put forward by Liverpool.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Will only judge this signing against the rest of the window and the club sale tbh. Otherwise not interested at the moment.

BorisManUtd

I don't know why people keep thinking we'll play Mount in the CMs, all the Chelsea fans on here have made it clear he's essentially never played there and is much better LW or 10.
There's no way we will play Case alone with Mount and Bruno ahead of him, we'll get hammered by any half decent team who can counter.
Rashford is LW. Bruno is a 10. Unless we're planning to play Rashford as a striker and moving Mount in his position then Mount has to be next to Bruno with Casemiro behind. We're not going to keep 60M player on the bench.

romufc

"He is set to be paid more than £200,000 per week, potentially rising to at least £250,000 per week with bonuses — in the same ballpark as the deal Chelsea had originally offered, as well as a rival proposal put forward by Liverpool." - From the article.
Exactly, so the 250k a week would be based on performances with a base 200k salary. Still people will make numbers up and say we are paying him 300k.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Well it's like a last season's midfield but Mount in for Eriksen, providing more energy, strength, pace etc. We do still need another midfielder, especially if Fred and McTominay are to leave.
Exactly, I just don't see how we can still pull of CF+GK (priority) signings and we still have no Casemiro cover.
We basically got Eriksen replacement which is good and I have nothing against Mount, and I am not judging this until I see how this summer went.

ForeverRed1

"He is set to be paid more than £200,000 per week, potentially rising to at least £250,000 per week with bonuses — in the same ballpark as the deal Chelsea had originally offered, as well as a rival proposal put forward by Liverpool." - From the article.
Yet of course he would only ever want to play for united solely for money, because we’re such a past it club and a clearly shite.

it’s a BS narrative, it really is. He looks genuinely buzzing to be here.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
He's a very good player, I do think this means Sancho leaves us now - hard to see how he plays his way back into the team unless he suddenly rediscovers his form.
Id love to hear how you got to this conclusion.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Erm, yes mouthpiece.... It was reported that Chelsea wanted 70-80m for Mount. We offered 50+5 and didnt want to go over it...

To get the deal done, we gave them 55 + 5 to make it 60m, the 5m which is widely reported as being difficult to achieve but obviously fans will always criticise.
"But, crucially, for Chelsea to receive the full £60m, Mount will have to win the biggest silverware with United more than once and also play in a high percentage of the relevant matches."
From the article.

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
This deal has been done for absolutely ages look at the hair on the leaving video. He’s known for months

Infra-red

I have my reservations but I'm pleased that the club were able to get Ten Hag his first choice #8 ahead of Klopp and Arteta.

BorisManUtd

Exactly, I just don't see how we can still pull of CF+GK (priority) signings and we still have no Casemiro cover.
We basically got Eriksen replacement which is good and I have nothing against Mount, and I am not judging this until I see how this summer went.
We'll have to sell. Henderson, Maguire, McTominay, Fred, van de Beek, Sancho - I do believe we can get decent money for all of them. Then there's likes of Bailly, Telles, Elanga though we wouldn't earn much from those transfers I'd imagine.

Baneofthegame

Is Mount really creative though?

I find this to be an underwhelming signing but hopefully proven wrong.
He’s got the most chances created since his debut for Chelsea, pretty sure he was up there with Bruno and KDB before last season with most chances created.

L1nk

So the original figures were lies to make it look like we just threw cash at him what a surprise, we offered pretty much the same deal as other clubs and we aren’t extortionately overpaying him

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Not everything is money related. Maybe he wanted to come and play for us ?
Of course he did, it's Man Utd, why wouldn't he? Doesn't mean we didn't give him a great financial package. Sounds like we gave him what he wanted at Chelsea.

I dunno, he's always been such a meh player. As I said, I hope he's a lot better than anything I've ever seen from him, and I'm sure he will be.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I was more intrigued when we signed Ighalo.

Hope Mason puts an end to our recent dismal record of signing England international flops (Shaw excepted)

saik

200 is better than 250k base salary. Who do we believe, Matt Law or Whitwell
For anything related to our club, it's Whitwell. But he could easily be the mouthpiece for the club and is just reporting what the club wants him to report in this case.

Noc-Z

ffs
Awesome signing. Chelsea player of the year two years in a row. Forget last year when Chelsea were a shambles. An intelligent player who will understand and deliver what EtH expects of him!

Giggsyking

For anything related to our club, it's Whitwell. But he could easily be the mouthpiece for the club and is just reporting what the club wants him to report in this case.
the same can be said about Matt Law and Chelsea. So we are here between two mouthpieces and can not truly know the truth.

sirAlexsglasses

Judging by his statement surely this means that he has an idea of what the ownership model will be, otherwise why would he want to come to united knowing that the Glazers would remain. If that were the case he would have better to have remained at Chelsea or go to Liverpool .

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I can’t really understand why yous have signed Mount.

Our midfield needs sorted out but even when fans were putting players into their preferred formation for the season ahead Mount rarely featured.

Defence

———- Caicedo —- Enzo————

Madueke - Nkunku - Mudryk/Sterling

————— new striker / Jackson———

Mount wouldn’t really be a better option in any position and it’s still difficult to gauge his best position. He’s a talented player but hasn’t really mastered a position yet which becomes a huge problem for a footballer. Havertz is very similar.

If you didn’t have BrunoFernandes he would play that role I’d imagine. Unless the plan is to play Casemiro defensive, Bruno deeper and Mount ahead? But would this not limit the attacking contribution of Bruno F?

I’d have understood yous signing Rice to play beside Casemiro and free up Bruno. Mount doesn’t seem to make sense but Ten Haag has done well so far so he will have a good reason for signing him.

Mount’s form has been horrendous for a long time so there’s recency bias if I’m being honest. I agree with his video, he needed a move and he almost alluded to it being a career move albeit driven by extortionate wages, but he’s stagnated significantly over the past year or so.

CG1010

If we have signed him to play on the wings or #10 then it makes no sense as we have options there. We do have an urgent hole to fill in the midfield so logically he should play there. But with United, logic has often flown out of the window in the last 15 years.